PDA

View Full Version : I Pulled The Trigger on an iPhone 6

pnoon
09-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Actually three of them. Me, my wife, and my son.
Verizon offering $200 trade in value for each of our 4S phones sure helped.

Normally, I am not on the leading edge of technology. I prefer to be one generation behind at a fraction of the cost. I was planning on getting 5S phones but my wife convinced me otherwise. Aside from the sticker shock for the entire order, I think I will be happy with getting the 6.

Anyone else here have/getting an iPhone 6?

Chainsaw13
09-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Not yet. My 5 is getting a little long in the tooth, so I've been thinking of upgrading. Did you go with the 4.7" screen, or opt to order the 5.5"?

Dude Here
09-18-2014, 08:06 AM

Normally, I am not on the leading edge of technology. I prefer to be one generation behind at a fraction of the cost. I was planning on getting 5S phones but my wife convinced me otherwise. Aside from the sticker shock for the entire order, I think I will be happy with getting the 6.

Anyone else here have/getting an iPhone 6?

I'm gonna wait a while. My 4S is still going strong but the wife's is on it's last legs. We'll probably upgrade to the 5S during the Holidays. Congrats on becoming so modern and hip!

pnoon
09-18-2014, 08:10 AM
Not yet. My 5 is getting a little long in the tooth, so I've been thinking of upgrading. Did you go with the 4.7" screen, or opt to order the 5.5"?
4.7" for us, Bob.

I'm gonna wait a while. My 4S is still going strong but the wife's is on it's last legs. We'll probably upgrade to the 5S during the Holidays. Congrats on becoming so modern and hip!

I was planning to wait, too. But the $200 trade-in offer was too good to pass up. The 16G phone ends up being free. The 64G cost $100 more. Verizon also added an additional 3G/mo data to our shared data plan for no extra cost.

jonumberone
09-18-2014, 08:16 AM
$200 trade in? This might sway me towards the new 6 or 6 plus!
Thanks, Peter!

pnoon
09-18-2014, 08:18 AM
$200 trade in? This might sway me towards the new 6 or 6 plus!
Thanks, Peter!

I believe you have to make the iPhone 6 purchase by September 30.

AdamJoshua
09-18-2014, 08:28 AM
If you aren't trading your phone into your carrier as some people do you can check out https://www.gazelle.com for what their offer is, you can also lock offers in so that you don't have to send off your phone (free shipping) until you have your new phone. I have used them twice and it's a breeze.

I believe you have to make the iPhone 6 purchase by September 30.

My gazelle offer is good until 10/15, they just pushed them out when apple pushed out delivery dates.

I'll be getting my 6 soon enough. On a side note loving some of the new features of iOS 8

pnoon
09-18-2014, 08:36 AM
you can also lock offers in so that you don't have to send off your phone (free shipping) until you have your new phone. I have used them twice and it's a breeze.

I don't have to return the 4S phones until the new ones are delivered.

The new features of iOS 8 are cool. Even when used to torture your friends. ;)

icehog3
09-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Congrats, Peter. I just moved into 2006 with a 4S a few months ago, but I am curious to learn more about the 6 and IOS 8.

Chainsaw13
09-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Peter, did Verizon hit you up with a $30 upgrade fee? I see that on their website when I log into my account and go through the upgrade process. I might be better off just preordering, and then selling mine on CL.

CigarNut
09-18-2014, 10:37 AM
I preordered the 6+ on the 12th and was told that it will be available mid-to-late November :(. AT&T is also offering the $200 trade-in value for my iPhone 5, which is a pretty good deal. I checked with Gazelle and they only offered me $165.

I upgraded to iOS 8 last night and am very happy with it so far -- it seems to be quite a bit faster for me. Still going through and learning about all the new features.

themoneycollector
09-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Normally, I am not on the leading edge of technology. I prefer to be one generation behind at a fraction of the cost.

Android users will say you are at least one generation behind with the iphone 6, just not at a fraction of the cost. :sl :noon :r

pnoon
09-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Peter, did Verizon hit you up with a $30 upgrade fee? I see that on their website when I log into my account and go through the upgrade process. I might be better off just preordering, and then selling mine on CL.
Yep.
I don't do FleaBay or CraigsList.
Android users will say you are at least one generation behind with the iphone 6, just not at a fraction of the cost. :sl :noon :r

No need to drag the Android/iPhone debate into an otherwise amicable thread.
:2

CigarNut
09-18-2014, 10:51 AM

Religious discussions are not allowed on CA :)

shilala
09-18-2014, 12:55 PM
I've been waffling on the 6+.
I was perfectly happy with my 4 when Weeze got me the 5. I wish it was a 32gb, 16gb just isn't enough space for all the crap I like to keep on my phone.
I'm installing ios 8 right now. Looking forward to seeing what's new.
AT&T says they'll give me $235 for my iphone 5. I'd far rather sell it on ebay or craigslist.
AT&T doesn't want to buy phones anymore, they want to lease them or have folks make payments. I can only get an upgrade on one line, and that's mine. I think the 6+ with 64gb is around $399.
I'd like to at least see one before I leap. The biggerscreen will certainly help with my failing eyeballs. :)

JPH
09-18-2014, 02:16 PM
I plan to get it !

Dave128
09-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Very soon.

Chainsaw13
09-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Another question. The trade in value, was this online or at a store? I just did their online appraisal. $36. WTF?!?!

AdamJoshua
09-18-2014, 06:01 PM
I like the new camera features, especially being able to adjust contrast by just sliding your finger up and down on the screen. My favorite feature so far is the job they did with predictive text, they did a slick job of it, much better than the old way.

CigarNut
09-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Another question. The trade in value, was this online or at a store? I just did their online appraisal. $36. WTF?!?!

I got the quote from AT&T in one of their stores.

massphatness
09-18-2014, 06:55 PM

DO NOT PAY AN UPGRADE FEE! If you have been a customer for any period of time, the big carriers will waive the fee if you simply ask. I've gone through 3 or 4 upgrade cycles with AT&T. Each time they charge the fee, and as soon as the bill hits my in-box, I call to have it waived. They've done it every time for every line on my account.

E.J.
09-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Trying to decide if I'm going to give my 9 y/o my iP4 and get a 6... All she needs is a "phone" and paying for another data plan makes me hesitate, but she needs a phone?

pnoon
09-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Seriously?
DO NOT PAY AN UPGRADE FEE! If you have been a customer for any period of time, the big carriers will waive the fee if you simply ask. I've gone through 3 or 4 upgrade cycles with AT&T. Each time they charge the fee, and as soon as the bill hits my in-box, I call to have it waived. They've done it every time for every line on my account.

I may have to call. I paid $90 (3 x $30) to upgrade and I've been with Verizon forever.

shilala
09-19-2014, 04:59 AM
Trying to decide if I'm going to give my 9 y/o my iP4 and get a 6... All she needs is a "phone" and paying for another data plan makes me hesitate, but she needs a phone?
Does your carrier have a Family Share plan?
We have 4 phones, 3 with data, share 10GB (which is way more than enough) and my bill is under $160 now whereas it used to be $230ish.
The 3rd phone could share data as well if my brother would pony up for a smartphone.
All 3 iphones have the personal hotspot enabled, unlimited pics and text and long distance.
It's not a bad deal, and there are even better out there.
I think Sprint has a $100 20GB share plan, and they have an unlimited plan, too. I was looking it over the other day and looked careful enough to find out it was for the "first year". Rates weren't posted for the second year of the 2-year plan. And their deals on phones were pretty bad, but if you brought your smartphones over and just bought your own phones as necessary, it might be a decent deal. Just be careful with them. :tu
I saw on tv that Walmart has a $34 plan, I'm not sure what that was about, but I think it was data and all the fluff, per phone. That may be worth a look, too
Edit:
I checked the Walmart plan. It sucks.
Unlimited is 2.5GB at 3g speed, then 2g thereafter. Unlimited calling is between 2 phones. Phone A and phone B in the plan. So I could talk and text one person on my plan, then I'd have to pay for all texts to anyone else. (As best as I could understand the small type.)
That's just great. Walmart. :rolleyes:

Chainsaw13
09-19-2014, 07:36 AM
Well, interesting. Last night I did the appraisal thingy on Verizon's website multiple times, each time getting something different. Same phone picked for trade in. Strange. The highest was $200, lowest the aforementioned $36.

Still mulling trading mine in for a new 6. Question is do I bite the bullet and just get the 128g? I also need to find out if I'll still be on the plan I have now, which costs me $65/mo after taxes for the one line, 2gig data, unlimited everything else.

Chainsaw13
09-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Well that didn't take long. Called Verizon. I can stay in my same plan. Delivery date of 10/3 for my new 6, 128g. :D

shilala
09-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Bob, did you do the payment/lease thing or pay for the phone straight up?
And if it's okay to ask, how much was it before and after your trade-in?
I'm still flopping around about it. I got the dimensions from apple's website and made a couple cardboard cutouts so me and the kid could compare the new phones to our current ones. The 6 plus is HUGE. The 6 isn't all that much bigger, but it's still a nice upgrade.
I want to check these out in person, and I want to see if the bigger screen helps my "can't see my phone anymore" issue. :)

Chainsaw13
09-19-2014, 09:52 AM
I'm doing the trade in ($200 appraisal). New phone is $399 with the new 2 year agreement. So $250ish after upgrade fee (they wouldn't waive) and tax overall.

AdamJoshua
09-19-2014, 10:10 AM
and so it begins.....

Covent Gardens

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bx4a8uAIMAAxhsx.jpg

1000s line up in Hong Kong at one store

http://cdn1.appleinsider.com/gallery/10537-2816-4-net-l.png

5th Avenue

http://cdn1.appleinsider.com/gallery/10537-2810-140918-5th_Ave-2-l.png

Some mall in the middle of Podunk

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bx5DsXvIgAEcRHe.jpg

shilala
09-19-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm doing the trade in ($200 appraisal). New phone is $399 with the new 2 year agreement. So $250ish after upgrade fee (they wouldn't waive) and tax overall.
That's not bad at all, Bob. Your phone was a 5?
That upgrade fee is bullsh1t. Leave it to Verizon. :gary

AdamJoshua
09-19-2014, 10:15 AM
This is the line 5 NYC blocks away from the apple store and still going....

http://cdn.bgr.com/2014/09/bx5mlsvcmaexaoa.jpg?w=624

E.J.
09-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Does your carrier have a Family Share plan?
We have 4 phones, 3 with data, share 10GB (which is way more than enough) and my bill is under $160 now whereas it used to be $230ish.
The 3rd phone could share data as well if my brother would pony up for a smartphone.
All 3 iphones have the personal hotspot enabled, unlimited pics and text and long distance.
It's not a bad deal, and there are even better out there.
I think Sprint has a $100 20GB share plan, and they have an unlimited plan, too. I was looking it over the other day and looked careful enough to find out it was for the "first year". Rates weren't posted for the second year of the 2-year plan. And their deals on phones were pretty bad, but if you brought your smartphones over and just bought your own phones as necessary, it might be a decent deal. Just be careful with them. :tu
I saw on tv that Walmart has a $34 plan, I'm not sure what that was about, but I think it was data and all the fluff, per phone. That may be worth a look, too
Edit:
I checked the Walmart plan. It sucks.
Unlimited is 2.5GB at 3g speed, then 2g thereafter. Unlimited calling is between 2 phones. Phone A and phone B in the plan. So I could talk and text one person on my plan, then I'd have to pay for all texts to anyone else. (As best as I could understand the small type.)
That's just great. Walmart. :rolleyes:

On Verizon, so sure we do... Will have my wife go figure it out, see if she can get us hooked up.

GreekGodX
09-19-2014, 11:00 AM
I went this morning at the Verizon store, no preorder, got a 6 plus. Traded in my iPhone 5 for $200. Apparently the trade in system was down, sales guy walks out with $200 gift card and used it towards the new phone. I was in and out in about an hour.

6 plus is huge. Something to get used to. But the screen is fantastic and using panoramic mode is like using an ipad.

longknocker
09-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Have The 5 & It Works Fine, So I'm OK. Enjoy, Though!:):tu

jjirons69
09-19-2014, 02:21 PM
A friend of mine showed me his "smaller" 6 today. Looked very nice. Light, too. He did the Verizon trade-in with the 64GB upgrade. These phones are getting so big. I remember when a phone in your pocket was the size of a thick money clip. I have a 4s with a minimal case and I feel like I have pocket full. I can't imagine what the bigger 6 would be like in my pocket.

Congrats, Peter!

big pete
09-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Got mine and my wife's 6 Plus in the mail today. No way in hell I'd wait in any of those crazy lines.

So much area with a 6 Plus (coming from a 4S). My eyes are still getting used to it. Also tested it in my pocket and it's not too bad.

Chainsaw13
09-19-2014, 09:53 PM
That's not bad at all, Bob. Your phone was a 5?
That upgrade fee is bullsh1t. Leave it to Verizon. :gary

Yea, regular 5, 32gig. And yep, not like they're not making enough cash, to charge you to upgrade.

ucla695
09-20-2014, 06:18 PM
I went to the Several Apple Stores yesterday. The+ is by far the biggest seller. Not to mention the insane line. Today I went back and they were sold out. Went to Best Buy too, same story.

Sold out across carriers.

ucla695
09-20-2014, 06:28 PM
On another note, the new iphones are slippery in that they can easily slip out of your hands. Get a case because the reviews that I've watched have shown unprotected screens shattering. YMMV

Shaneg
09-20-2014, 09:18 PM
200$ for a trade in is super appealing

rizzle
09-29-2014, 09:22 AM
I got one and love it. First foray into ios after using android for the last 4 years+.

MarkinAZ
09-29-2014, 09:30 AM
My daughter purchased an i6 which should be here on Tuesday or Wednesday. She's really looking forward to its arrival.

Me? Still using a Samsung Slider phone (TracPhone);s

hammondc
09-29-2014, 03:01 PM
I went and talked to them about the $200 credit thingy. Its a gift card, which won't work for me. I guess I will hold on to my 5 for a bit.

pnoon
09-29-2014, 03:07 PM
I went and talked to them about the $200 credit thingy. Its a gift card, which won't work for me. I guess I will hold on to my 5 for a bit.

Why won't it work?

weems
09-30-2014, 07:32 PM
Got one for me and my girlfriend. So far we are both loving them!

I also got the red leather apple case and its awesome too!

Dude Here
10-01-2014, 07:19 AM

So, we ended up not waiting as long as I was thinking to upgrade our phones. The wife's 4S just stopped playing any kind of sounds whatsoever and she was just fed up with it. We went to Costco and she got a new 5S for $79. I ended up jumping ship over to a Galaxy S5 and I'm really liking it so far.

They had the 6's on display, and I gotta admit that I was tempted to put myself down for one.

weems
10-01-2014, 10:48 AM
The S5 is a great phone too! Can't beat the durability of it.

shilala
10-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Weeze ordered me a 6 plus about a week ago. They say I should get it the end of this month.
She did it cause the kid dropped his phone in the terlit and we needed to do the phone shuffle. Now his phone works, we dried it out.
So we'll see how the 6 plus goes...

hammondc
10-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Why won't it work?

No good way to use the credit. Company pays the bill. They told me I had to pay the phone price upfront. If they'd let me add it to the bill, I could use the credit to pay for it.

pnoon
10-02-2014, 11:23 PM
No good way to use the credit. Company pays the bill. They told me I had to pay the phone price upfront. If they'd let me add it to the bill, I could use the credit to pay for it.

Great that your company pays your bill.
Not so great that you can't use the credit. Unless you can find some high-end accessories.

Dave128
10-06-2014, 12:50 PM

Did the exact same thing this weekend - three iPhone 6's (Me, my wife and my FIL) - and got the same $200 trade in deal. AT&T also threw in a LG Tablet for $0.99 ($250 value). It'll use the data off of our cell plan for an extra $10 a month.

The phones will be delivered to my house with no need to go back to the AT&T store for the data conversion from our 4 to the 6. Does anyone know how to get all of the info safely off of my 4 (I don't believe I'm using the Cloud in any way)? I know I have to load the files to my computer, but have no idea how to go about that.

Any ideas or detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

CigarNut
10-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Did the exact same thing this weekend - three iPhone 6's (Me, my wife and my FIL) - and got the same $200 trade in deal. AT&T also threw in a LG Tablet for $0.99 ($250 value). It'll use the data off of our cell plan for an extra $10 a month.

The phones will be delivered to my house with no need to go back to the AT&T store for the data conversion from our 4 to the 6. Does anyone know how to get all of the info safely off of my 4 (I don't believe I'm using the Cloud in any way)? I know I have to load the files to my computer, but have no idea how to go about that.

Any ideas or detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

All you have to do is do a full backup on your phone in iTunes -- plug the old phone into your computer, back up phone to the computer, not iCloud. After you are done, unplug the old phone from the computer and plug in the new phone, answer the trust questions and then do a restore from backup.

Should be good to go. It can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes depending upon how much stuff you have.

Be sure to reset the old phones when you are done with them so that you remove all of your data.

Dave128
10-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Awesome, thank you!

weems
10-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Just an update after two weeks of my 6.

I absolutely love it. I worked for Verizon for two years, so I have had my fair share of phones, iPhone 4, 4s, s4, s5, LG G2, G3, Note 3 and then to the 6. Its by far my favorite

Chainsaw13
10-06-2014, 09:41 PM
I have had my six for a couple days now. Still iffy on the larger size. But everything else is awesome. I had my earphones plugged in and using voice to text with my friend. Amazing how quick it was dictating what I said, and going back to fix things.

longknocker
10-07-2014, 03:26 AM
I have had my six for a couple days now. Still iffy on the larger size. But everything else is awesome. I had my earphones plugged in and using voice to text with my friend. Amazing how quick it was dictating what I said, and going back to fix things.

Do You Have The "+", Bob? I Like The Larger Size For Photos & Surfing The Web. Just Seems It Would Be Cumbersome Holding "A Brick" To Your Ear & I Would Guess It's Too Big For A Shirt Pocket?

CigarNut
10-07-2014, 05:34 AM
Here are the dimensions the S4, S5, 6 and 6+:

Galaxy S4 (5.38 x 2.75 x 0.31 in) 4.59 oz
Galaxy S5 (5.59 x 2.85 x 0.32 in) 5.11 oz
iPhone 6 (5.43 x 2.64 x .027 in) 4.55 oz
iPhone 6+ (6.23 x 3.06 x .028 in) 6.07 oz

The iPhone 6 is about the same size as the Galaxy phones and should fit in a shirt pocket OK. The 6+ is a bit taller and wider. I figure that it will be fine in my shirt pocket most of the time.

Chainsaw13
10-07-2014, 06:27 AM
I went with the 6 Greg. The Plus would've just been way to big for me. I like to carry my phone in my pants pocket.

pnoon
10-07-2014, 06:31 AM
I went with the 6 Greg. The Plus would've just been way to big for me. I like to carry my phone in my pants pocket.

:tpd:

Dave128
10-07-2014, 07:35 AM
All you have to do is do a full backup on your phone in iTunes -- plug the old phone into your computer, back up phone to the computer, not iCloud. After you are done, unplug the old phone from the computer and plug in the new phone, answer the trust questions and then do a restore from backup.

Should be good to go. It can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes depending upon how much stuff you have.

Be sure to reset the old phones when you are done with them so that you remove all of your data.

Will this also take care of pictures and apps? Or will I have to reload all of the apps?

CigarNut
10-07-2014, 07:42 AM
Will this also take care of pictures and apps? Or will I have to reload all of the apps?

A full backup and restore is supposed to load all the pictures, apps and music. Although I have had some problems with this in the past, all my recent restores have gone fine.

Dave128
10-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Awesome, thanks again.

Blak Smyth
10-14-2014, 11:24 AM

You could stop wearing skinny pants... problem solved.:tu

Malakai
10-15-2014, 12:08 AM
The wife's 4s started acting up and she was waiting to get the 6. I planned on getting the 6+ but we went to bestbuy tonight and she was getting hers and no 6+ available so just got me a 6 instead. So far so good.

AdamJoshua
10-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Video of a guy using apple pay at McDonalds today, looking forward to that when I upgrade, apple pay, not McDonalds :r

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIbsPvpY7GU

CigarNut
10-21-2014, 05:21 AM
It will be interesting to see how fast this (ApplePay / NFC payments) really catches on. My guess is that the rollout is a bit late for this holiday season.

shilala
10-21-2014, 07:27 AM
Only like 1 more week till my 6+ gets here. :)

pnoon
10-21-2014, 07:40 AM
My 6 arrived yesterday. :dance:
Love it so far but much to do in the way of settings and customization.

Remo
10-21-2014, 07:54 AM
My 6 arrived yesterday. :dance:
Love it so far but much to do in the way of settings and customization.

:tu Peter, my upgrade comes in December, can't wait to have 64 gig! not that I will ever use it :r

Dave128
10-21-2014, 08:39 AM
Got my 6 in the mail yesterday. Now I just have to dive into making the "seamless" data transition from my 4. I'm sure it will go just fine. I have faith.

Chainsaw13
10-21-2014, 09:21 AM
Got my 6 in the mail yesterday. Now I just have to dive into making the "seamless" data transition from my 4. I'm sure it will go just fine. I have faith.

I was surprised at how well my 5 to 6 transition went. Very little changes to make after setting up the 6.

pnoon
10-21-2014, 09:50 AM

I was surprised at how well my 5 to 6 transition went. Very little changes to make after setting up the 6.

Getting the new phone up and running was pretty simple. Lots of tweaks to be done.

Puzzling that my voice messages (pre-existing AND new ones) are greyed out and not able to be played.

weems
10-23-2014, 10:44 AM
Did you re-setup your voicemail? They should come back once you do that.

pnoon
10-23-2014, 11:38 AM
Did you re-setup your voicemail? They should come back once you do that.

It actually came back on its own. Didn't have to do anything with voice mail.

shilala
10-23-2014, 12:57 PM
Mine still isn't here.
But Weeze just ordered me a new pair of work shoes. I think she's trying to tell me something.

smokin5
10-25-2014, 07:01 PM
Pnoon, you'd better be careful.
Time magazine recently reported people are complaining that
their hair is getting caught between the metal casing and
glass display on the iPhone 6.
I'd hate to see that happen to you.

Sorry, but I just couldn't help myself! :ss

pnoon
10-25-2014, 11:54 PM
Pnoon, you'd better be careful.
Time magazine recently reported people are complaining that
their hair is getting caught between the metal casing and
glass display on the iPhone 6.
I'd hate to see that happen to you.

Sorry, but I just couldn't help myself! :ss
:lr

Dave128
10-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Finally took the time last night to set up the new 6. Took a ton longer than I expected since it already had to be upgraded to ios 8.1 and some of the stuff didn't work correctly until that was loaded (new ios download took about 2 hours). After that, things seem like they transferred pretty smooth from the 4. I still need to give it a good walk through and tweak some settings. Overall, I like it so far.

shilala
10-28-2014, 10:10 AM
Mine is supposed to ship somewhere between tomorrow and the 7th.
I did manage to order a giant case and screen protector, so I'm ready if it ever gets here.

Dave128
10-28-2014, 10:18 AM
My wife is still waiting for hers to be shipped. Keeps getting moved. I guess she ordered one of the popular colors. Still have to get a case and screen protector. Mine's still naked for the time being and it makes me a little nervous.

pnoon
10-28-2014, 10:47 AM
My wife is still waiting for hers to be shipped. Keeps getting moved. I guess she ordered one of the popular colors. Still have to get a case and screen protector. Mine's still naked for the time being and it makes me a little nervous.

Be cautious about the screen protectors you purchase.
I purchased a five-pack from Amazon and the protector covered the camera lens. FaceTime was like looking through frosted glass. I ended up cutting off a small square to expose the lens.

I also bought myself an OtterBox Commuter case. It came with a screen protector and guess what? Same design flaw. Now I can understand if these are marketed as "universal" screen protectors. But these are specifically designed for the iPhone 6. :mad:

Dave128
10-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the tip, Peter.

weems
10-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Do yourself a favor on the protector and get a tempered glass one. I don't have any experience with the others but I have the ZAGG invisible glass. They offer lifetime warranty and I screwed up the install on my first one, paid $5 shipping and had a new one at my door in a couple of days.

AdamJoshua
10-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Speaking of pulling the trigger.

Former major league slugger Jose Canseco blew his middle finger clear off his hand while cleaning his handgun at home in Las Vegas.

Jose's fiancée Leila Knight tells TMZ Sports ... he was sitting at a table in their home cleaning the gun when it went off. She says he didn't know it was loaded -- and the shot ripped through the middle finger on his left hand.

Well it fit the thread title.... :r

RobR1205
10-29-2014, 06:35 AM
I also bought myself an OtterBox Commuter case. It came with a screen protector and guess what? Same design flaw. Now I can understand if these are marketed as "universal" screen protectors. But these are specifically designed for the iPhone 6. :mad:

I have a iPhone 5c and use Otterbox's Defender case, which does not cover the camera lens. I did a quick search and saw that the Defender for the 6's does not cover the lens either. Only drawback is that some people find it: 1. expensive and 2. bulky.

Either way, I'm a klutz so I need as much protection for my phone as possible.

weems
10-29-2014, 10:59 AM
I have a iPhone 5c and use Otterbox's Defender case, which does not cover the camera lens. I did a quick search and saw that the Defender for the 6's does not cover the lens either. Only drawback is that some people find it: 1. expensive and 2. bulky.

Either way, I'm a klutz so I need as much protection for my phone as possible.

Lifeproof.

The Poet
10-29-2014, 02:19 PM
I'm saving up to pull the trigger on a NoPhone.

http://www.avclub.com/article/theres-kickstarter-nophone-phone-literally-does-no-211066

It is an upgrade on the no phone I now own.

shilala
10-29-2014, 03:31 PM
I'm saving up to pull the trigger on a NoPhone.

http://www.avclub.com/article/theres-kickstarter-nophone-phone-literally-does-no-211066

It is an upgrade on the no phone I now own.
I love it. I wonder how long the battery lasts?

pnoon
10-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Back on topic.

There are some really cool new features on the camera that I'm looking forward to digging into.

Dave128
10-29-2014, 07:38 PM
Got a Pelican case and a tempered glass screen protector tonight. Zero issues with the camera.

CigarNut
11-01-2014, 10:35 AM
My 6+ arrived yesterday and so far it's been great. Really love the battery life!

shilala
11-01-2014, 01:51 PM
I ordered 9 days after you, Michael. I kind of figured mine will get pushed back, they say the 64GB models are way behind. You're the first person to say theirs showed up, so that's heartening. :tu
My arrival date was 10/29-11/7*.
*Estimated shipping range.

big a
11-06-2014, 08:10 PM
What's some other cases everyone likes for the 6? I have a spigen air cushion. Looking for something with a little more protection.

pnoon
11-06-2014, 09:45 PM
What's some other cases everyone likes for the 6? I have a spigen air cushion. Looking for something with a little more protection.

Otterbox Commuter. Really happy with it.

shilala
11-07-2014, 05:44 AM
Welp, mine got backordered with no idea when it may be in stock. Just changed today.
I see that they're all over at Apple stores on istocklive, and I have a number for AT&T.
I did a live chat with them and didn't get anywhere.
I figure I'd take any color, and don't mind going to the 128GB, so we'll see what happens.
I'll probably just wait. I'm not sure my patience can take it today.
I'd far rather put Peter on this. He gets sh1t done. :D

pnoon
11-07-2014, 06:31 AM
Welp, mine got backordered with no idea when it may be in stock. Just changed today.
I see that they're all over at Apple stores on istocklive, and I have a number for AT&T.
I did a live chat with them and didn't get anywhere.
I figure I'd take any color, and don't mind going to the 128GB, so we'll see what happens.
I'll probably just wait. I'm not sure my patience can take it today.
I'd far rather put Peter on this. He gets sh1t done. :D

:lr
But I often wonder if the rise in BP is worth it.

CigarNut
11-07-2014, 06:53 AM
We ordered a 64GB iPhone 6 last Friday (in the local AT&T store) for my wife; they told us that it would ship somewhere between 12/2 -- 12/11. I got a notification from AT&T on Wednesday that it is going to arrive tomorrow.

Dave128
11-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Ordered three 6's on 10/4 - two have arrived and are being used. My wife is still waiting for hers (I think she ordered a white/gold 64GB). We were informed, via email, that it should be shipped between 11/1 & 11/15.

AdamJoshua
11-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Be cautious about the screen protectors you purchase.
I purchased a five-pack from Amazon and the protector covered the camera lens. FaceTime was like looking through frosted glass. I ended up cutting off a small square to expose the lens.

I know the girl that was the head of marketing for lifeproof (i think that was their name) they just got bought by OtterBox, I will drop her a line and pass on your feedback and see what she has to say. I won't complain too much, her hubby is an FBI agent :r :r :r

btw pulled the trigger on my upgrade today, we'll see when it ships and I'll have to see about getting a case from my friend :D

pnoon
11-07-2014, 02:56 PM
I know the girl that was the head of marketing for lifeproof (i think that was their name) they just got bought by OtterBox, I will drop her a line and pass on your feedback and see what she has to say. I won't complain too much, her hubby is an FBI agent :r :r

btw pulled the trigger on my upgrade today, we'll see when it ships and I'll have to see about getting a case from my friend :D

What she will probably tell you (and I neglected to post) is that your friend (me) had a momentary lapse of judgement. I did not actually put the Otterbox screen protector on my phone. I already had the modified original that I would keep on the phone for a while. I merely laid the Otterbox screen protector on my phone to see it overlay the lens. Well, guess what? I had laid the screen protector (which is NOT symmetrical) on my phone flipped over. When I turned it around the lens was not covered. D'OH!!

:fp2 :fp2

CigarNut
11-07-2014, 03:41 PM
My wife's iPhone 6 arrived a day early! She will be very happy (which means that I am happy -- happy wife, happy life!)

AdamJoshua
11-08-2014, 09:05 AM
What she will probably tell you (and I neglected to post) is that your friend (me) had a momentary lapse of judgement. I did not actually put the Otterbox screen protector on my phone. I already had the modified original that I would keep on the phone for a while. I merely laid the Otterbox screen protector on my phone to see it overlay the lens. Well, guess what? I had laid the screen protector (which is NOT symmetrical) on my phone flipped over. When I turned it around the lens was not covered. D'OH!!

:fp2 :fp2

You may be old, but you're slow. :gary

shilala
11-11-2014, 10:22 AM
My giant phone showed up today.
I am currently doing battle. Should be turned into my old phone shortly. :tu
I like it already. I can actually see stuff!!! :tu

Dave128
11-11-2014, 01:20 PM
My wife's should arrive Friday.

big a
11-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Mine should ship by next Friday now that I have two cases already. My wife got hers 2 weeks early of course

AdamJoshua
11-11-2014, 08:35 PM
My giant phone showed up today.
I am currently doing battle. Should be turned into my old phone shortly. :tu
I like it already. I can actually see stuff!!! :tu

Yes one reason I pulled the trigger now, my arms aren't long enough to use my phone anymore. The apps that don't benefit from the text size increase and accessibility settings are getting a bit tough to use. :r

shilala
11-12-2014, 05:25 AM
Yes one reason I pulled the trigger now, my arms aren't long enough to use my phone anymore. The apps that don't benefit from the text size increase and accessibility settings are getting a bit tough to use. :r
It has a zoom feature when you set it up. Even the desktop icons are more bigger. I just turn it on and look at it and I CAN SEE!!!
This phone has completely changed my life. My sister says I can swim, and even ride a bike!!! :tu

MarkinAZ
11-12-2014, 08:05 AM
I just turn it on and look at it and I CAN SEE!!!
This phone has completely changed my life. My sister says I can swim, and even ride a bike!!! :tu

Wow! Just think what would have happened if you were wheelchair bound Scott:D;)

AdamJoshua
11-22-2014, 12:57 PM
So mine arrived and my dad got his, now I can face time with him and make sure he's doing ok (he's 89 and wheelchair bound within the last couple months so life is a bit depressing for him now). This really helps out I have the 6 and I got him the 6+ the screen is better for him to see things and see when face-timing. I had him put on my plan and my data usage was going through the roof in only a couple days, had to walk him through getting it on his wi-fi .. it wasn't really hard but he forgot to do it when he setup the phone. :r

The one thing to get used to is the power button is on the side now and I still keep hitting the top to turn it on and off and there is nothing there. :p

Chainsaw13
11-22-2014, 01:06 PM
I do the same with the power button, especially since I have a 5s for work. I end up turning the volume up/down instead of turning it on/off.