PDA

View Full Version : Cigars that are already aged and ready to smoke

Byaah
09-14-2014, 11:36 PM
As the title says, as I am just starting, I have been told a lot of cigars need a bit more time past just resting once I have purchased them, so...

What I am trying to find are cigars (after a small rest) that are ready to be smoked, I may be asking this question incorrect but as I have not amassed an awesome collection and WANT to still smoke, what would be my go to cigars that I can have and not wonder if I burned them to early?

I still plan on getting all types of cigars no matter what but I would like to start allowing the ones that need to sit, the time to do w/e it is they do.

jpb437
09-14-2014, 11:58 PM
I am rather new to smoking cigars as well but here's what I have been told. You can't smoke a cigar too early although stronger cigars may mellow and become more complex with time. Mild cigars may benefit from a short rest but multiple years of rest may leave them bland. All that is just hearsay from an long time smoker so if it is wrong someone please correct me.

ApexAZ
09-15-2014, 12:19 AM
I have deliberately aged a few boxes of cigars for about a year, but everything else I smoke it right away. If a NC doesn't taste good to me shortly after I buy it then I probably won't smoke too many of that brand and vitola. Most NC are produced to be enjoyed by the time they reach you anyhow.

longknocker
09-15-2014, 04:14 AM
Brandon: I Try To Let My Cigars I Purchase Or Receive In A Trade "Rest" For 3 Months In My Humidor Or Coolidor At My Chosen RH & Temperature. This Has Worked Well For Me Over The Years. Some Sticks, Like The Fuente Opus X, Seem To Smoke Much Better After 5 Years Of Rest, IMO. Some NC's Lose A Lot Of Their Flavor After 1 Year. Experiment Yourself To Find "Your" Ideal "Resting Time".:tu:)

dave
09-15-2014, 10:53 AM
What cigars are you now buying and/or considering? My advice would be very different if you're talking Cubans, Fuentes, big-box bundles, etc. Are you planning to buy from B&M or online?

Or, maybe I should ask if you're considering Cuban or non-Cuban...and what sort of per-stick price point? The cheaper non-Cubans will often benefit from 6 months or more rest....until we narrow it a little, much depends on quality of the cigar and what sort of condition your retailer is keeping it. That said, if you walk into a shop today and buy a cigar, it should almost certainly be ready to smoke immediately.

CdnStogie
09-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Heard that NC's typically do not age all that well, though everyones taste is different.

CC's on the other hand typically have to be rested from what I am told. Have not been in the game long enough with CC's but this is from research.

I am inadvertently ageing cigars since my collection is growing more rapidly than I am smoking :)

jjirons69
09-15-2014, 11:20 AM
Find something you like and enjoy. Buy a box. Let them rest. Try a couple. Keep this up over time and before you know it, you'll have half a box with some decent age on them. I know it's hard, but you'll find it easier if you have more cigars at your disposal. I've never really aged NCs any longer than a year or two. Depending on what CCs we're talking about, some of them take aging well and get better over time.

mosesbotbol
09-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Try something from Davidoff's different cigar lines. All are ready to smoke when they arrive at their merchants. Not cheap, but they are great cigars with a lot finesse & class.

dave
09-15-2014, 11:34 AM
Heard that NC's typically do not age all that well, though everyones taste is different.

CC's on the other hand typically have to be rested from what I am told. Have not been in the game long enough with CC's but this is from research.

I am inadvertently ageing cigars since my collection is growing more rapidly than I am smoking :)

I had an NC the other day that was misplaced for a few years and it was ten times better than it was when new(er.) I won't argue with your comment about Cubans, because I generally believe it to be true.

But, while there certainly are some non-Cubans that don't age particularly well (to me) - the list is very, very short.

It is so very, very hard to generalize about NC's for a number of reasons: much NC tobacco undergoes significant aging long before it ever gets rolled; NC boxes almost never have dates, so you don't ever really know how old they are; wrapper, binder and filler could all be vastly different ages when rolled and from entirely different parts of the world, complicating the age-effect predictability. At risk of generalizing, I'd venture to say that I find that when I detect a certain, often subtle, harshness in NC's, they ALWAYS will benefit from a long nap (to me, that means 9 months or longer....up to years.)

Byaah
09-15-2014, 01:00 PM
What cigars are you now buying and/or considering?

ATT the only things on the radar to buy as a box are: (I have VERY limited exp so I still plan on buying TOOOONS of singles/doubles of everything as I have not had it yet)

Undercrown
God of Fire
Davidoff's
Tats
Perdomo Sun Grown

Or, maybe I should ask if you're considering Cuban or non-Cuban

Never really had a Cuban so I guess that is not an option ATT. So my answer is NC.

...and what sort of per-stick price point?

Well the more of it I buy, the cheaper per stick it needs to be. But anywhere from 1$ - 30$ ish. I know I would love to get a few GoF's in there and PRAY I can let them sit.

Byaah
09-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Brandon: I Try To Let My Cigars I Purchase Or Receive In A Trade "Rest" For 3 Months In My Humidor Or Coolidor At My Chosen RH & Temperature.

I plan I getting to that! It will be a nice day once I realize I have enough stock that I just naturally rotate new buys this way and don't have to think about them for a while. :D

Byaah
09-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Try something from Davidoff's

I have had 3 Aniversario #3 and 1 Nicaraguan and all of them have been great, they appear to make a VERY solid cigar. I love how smooth the Aniversario #3 is.

ApexAZ
09-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Ashton VSG are generally considered a good stick for aging. I also have a box of sun grown 858 that I'm trying to hold onto for a year. Someone above mentioned Opus X, which I have no doubt taste phenomenal after 5 years, but they also taste phenomenal ROTT to me at least, so I end up just smoking them :). Everyone's pallet is different though and mine is not what I would call refined so your mileage may vary. I just try to find the things I like in the humidor and not worry about their age too much. I'm finding the opposite is true for the cc's though. The longer some of them sit the better they seem to get.

dave
09-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Undercrown
God of Fire
Davidoff's
Tats
Perdomo Sun Grown

None of those need any aging, whatsoever....IF you buy them from your local. If you get them from any big-box online retailer, I suggest you put them in your humi for at least a couple of weeks. Some (CI, Famous, others) tend to store/ship wetter than most of us like. Others (JR, Thompson, Best....) could be a crapshoot, wet, dry, delays in pack/ship.... Just a good practice to put them away for a little bit. That isn't aging, however.

shark
09-15-2014, 06:51 PM
None of those need any aging, whatsoever....IF you buy them from your local. If you get them from any big-box online retailer, I suggest you put them in your humi for at least a couple of weeks. Some (CI, Famous, others) tend to store/ship wetter than most of us like. Others (JR, Thompson, Best....) could be a crapshoot, wet, dry, delays in pack/ship.... Just a good practice to put them away for a little bit. That isn't aging, however.

Not to mention the often adverse conditions the package goes through in transit. It may be sitting in a sorting center for a while, or on a loading dock in the sun.