PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Burn Question

Flynnster
09-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Occasionally I find a stick burning a bit uneven, as I'm sure we all do. My question is, where do you put the side that isn't burning as fast? For example, do you roll the stick so the slower side is down, or at the top?

Does this even make a difference? I would think at the top you would get a faster burn as heat/fire goes up. But then again, all the oxygen to burn may already be used up from the embers below.

Help a guy out!

stevef2005
09-03-2014, 07:27 PM
I am a bit curious as to the answer to this. I usually just try and see if it evens itself back up or will occasionally just hit the side not burning evenly with a match to slightly toast it and usually that can help even it up. I may be performing a big no no though.

AdamJoshua
09-03-2014, 07:39 PM
If it get's that bad I'll usually hit it with the torch real quick to even it up, then again, I'm probably doing it wrong.

Ogre
09-03-2014, 07:47 PM
I rotate my cigars and keep the "slow" burning area to the bottom.

shilala
09-03-2014, 07:50 PM
I hit it with the torch to catch it up. And I get out of the wind.
It's hard to remember to turn my cigar if it's windy out, and it's a sure thing that it'll cause one side to burn way faster than the other.

markem
09-03-2014, 08:00 PM
There are many reasons why a burn is uneven, many more than I know about for certain!

I try to figure out why. I have one humidor that, for whatever reason, tends to leave my cigars with a "wet side". I dry box these and they are fine, but sometime I just smoke them and deal with the burn issue. For these, I find that a touch-up with a torch is the only way to get an even smoke. If I fail to touch-up, I get the classic canoeing.

If the reason is wind, then turning the slow side to the wind often helps, but sometimes I have to play with the positioning. I can almost always figure this case out and get it to burn nice.

If the reason is the draw of the stick, then it gets complex and it is almost always a case-by-case result.

I use the technique that Larry pointed out which is to rotate my cigars while smoking. I tend to turn the cigar about 1/8 to 1/4 turn after each puff. I have absolutely no idea if this works, but it makes me feel like a baller so I do it.

You have hit on one of the more elusive questions about cigars, IMO, and I am anxious to see what all gets shared as I feel hopelessly inadequate in this area.

WhiteMamba
09-03-2014, 08:02 PM

+1

Chainsaw13
09-03-2014, 08:03 PM
I'll wet the wrapper on the faster burning part, with some saliva on my finger. Slows down that area burning, allowing it to even out.

The Poet
09-03-2014, 08:08 PM

That's what I've found. Keep the keel of the canoe down. It sounds a bit counter-intuitive, as we all know heat rises, but that's what works.

Of course, a quick touchup with a torch also does the trick. :r

shilala
09-03-2014, 08:10 PM
I'll wet the wrapper on the faster burning part, with some saliva on my finger. Slows down that area burning, allowing it to even out.
That's a great idea, Bob.
I've heard the "keep the fast side on the bottom" trick, but it never worked for me. I get the train of thought, and have tried it, just never had any luck.
I've gone so far as to clip the whole burning end off and relight.

Flynnster
09-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one! I too usually hit it with the torch, but I thought that there must be an answer from all of the wise smokers on here.

Dude Here
09-03-2014, 08:14 PM
I tend to rotate my cigars while I smoke them so the same side is rarely up the whole time. However, some sticks still just burn uneven due to a variety of reasons. When that happens it's just a quick touch of the torch and all is right in the world once again.

CigarNut
09-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Lots of good info here! This is why CA is so great!

8zeros
09-03-2014, 09:33 PM
That's a great idea, Bob.
I've heard the "keep the fast side on the bottom" trick, but it never worked for me. I get the train of thought, and have tried it, just never had any luck.
I've gone so far as to clip the whole burning end off and relight.
Yeah, this speaks for me too. Exactly. I think it's almost always a roll problem. Sometimes I can fix it with a flame now and then. Sometimes I cut, too. I don't ever think putting the slow part down or up or blowing on it or touching it up or anything else really works well. Sometimes I fight with them all the way through. That's the breaks.

pektel
09-04-2014, 06:23 AM

+1. This is where I start. If that doesn't work, I'll grab the jetlite to touch it up.

One thing I've noticed: if I don't properly toast/light the cigar the way I like to, I almost always get an uneven burn. I don't smoke in my house, but I stand in the kitchen when I light the cigar to eliminate any outside breeze/wind that could affect the flame. I watched some youtube video on a "three match method" or something like that. I apply the general concept of that, but just use a soft flame Bic instead of buying special matches.

All other conditions being equal, I find that the best chance of my cigar burning properly is lighting it properly.

pektel
09-04-2014, 06:30 AM
Just went and found the video I had watched:

http://youtu.be/YOem4JswMCk

mi000ke
09-04-2014, 07:55 AM
I recall reading somewhere that because the gases released from the cigar as it burns rise upward, it cuts oxygen to the top side slowing the burn on top, so putting the slow side down may help. I'm not sure if the science is correct or not, but turning the slow side down usually works for me - or hitting it with a torch if it gets too bad. Also I try to keep rotating the cigar just to make sure it burns evenly.

STEVE S
09-04-2014, 08:33 AM
I have found that if you turn your cigar so the slow burning side is at the bottom, if done soon enough, that side will catch up. If this doesn't work, then a quick touch-up with your torch lighter will do it. After this if the problem continues there may be an issue with the cigar.

jjirons69
09-04-2014, 03:26 PM
For a slow and gentle burn down one side, I catch the other side up with the lighter. Works 95% of the time. Had to do it last night. If it gets more severe like there's tunneling going on alone one side, I do as Bob described and hit the leading edge with a bit of saliva. Sometimes this must be done in combination with catching up the other side with the lighter. It all depends on the cigar sometimes. The smaller ring gauges respond to the spit or lighter technique better and the large ring gauges often need the combo approach. I've never cut the affected end off or chucked it. I'll keep the heat on the back side until it starts behaving as it should.

TXSmokey
09-04-2014, 04:30 PM

I tried that on a cheapo today, as well as rotating it. it worked! fixed itself in no time. thanks

Tio Gato
09-04-2014, 05:55 PM
I recall reading somewhere that because the gases released from the cigar as it burns rise upward, it cuts oxygen to the top side slowing the burn on top, so putting the slow side down may help. I'm not sure if the science is correct or not, but turning the slow side down usually works for me - or hitting it with a torch if it gets too bad. Also I try to keep rotating the cigar just to make sure it burns evenly.
You are correct sir! Good job.:tu