PDA

View Full Version : How to remember?

Byaah
08-22-2014, 07:58 PM
When you first started out smoking cigars, what did you do to remember what you liked and what you did not like?

Do you jot down notes? Make a private blog? Keep the label/wrapper?

There is so much info, just trying to keep up with brands is to much, trying to remember what leaf everything was and age seems like and overwhelming task but I don't wish to just drop money and not remember.

WhiteMamba
08-22-2014, 08:03 PM
I keep labels in an empty box and also keep receipts from purchases. Usually if one is really good I will make a mental note or just buy more immediately.

Chainsaw13
08-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Myself, I would keep the band and make mental notes. I've tried the log book, but would never stick with it.

pnoon
08-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Myself, I would keep the band and make mental notes. I've tried the log book, but would never stick with it.

I went thru the same thing.
With a smart phone, it's easy to make some quick short notes on likes/dislikes. You could take a photo, too.

Heavy_d
08-22-2014, 09:39 PM
I have a memory like a piece of Swiss cheese, so I can't do the mental note thing. I have an analog cigar journal that let's me paste in the band and fill in relevant details with a review. Also, there's plenty of mobile apps that let you manage humidor inventory and add reviews as you smoke them.

Byaah
08-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Also, there's plenty of mobile apps that let you manage humidor inventory and add reviews as you smoke them.

Ooooorly? My friend just uprgraded his phone to a Galaxy S5 and gave me his S4 (I had a walmart brick 15$, for the past 2-3 years lol). So I am back into the game with a smartphone in tow.

Do you have any recommendations for apps?

Subvet642
08-23-2014, 07:02 AM
Notebook, tape for cigar bands, pen. :tu Don't forget the ones you didn't like; they're even more important to remember.

CigarEnvy
08-23-2014, 03:12 PM
I use my memory for those sticks that I know made a great impression on me so that has shot holes in my budget because I like so many. Making a journal is a good idea for those just starting out but understand that your tastes will change and what used to be a favorite will suddenly become a lost memory as you continue your journey.

Byaah
08-23-2014, 04:38 PM
but understand that your tastes will change and what used to be a favorite will suddenly become a lost memory as you continue your journey.

Yeah I figured this would happen over time. While I would be sad to see things I like drift away it would allow me to have that "new" experience again finding another.

OLS
08-23-2014, 06:02 PM
For me I have never cared. A good cigar is a rare thing, each one is different, the enjoyable ones are
better memories than the bad ones, but I don't get too anal about records of anything more than box codes and
price paid. I let the memories go....if it was meant to be, they will come back to me.

Porch Dweller
08-23-2014, 08:45 PM
It's easier for me to remember the ones that I just don't care for.

stevef2005
08-23-2014, 09:49 PM
It's easier for me to remember the ones that I just don't care for.

Agreed. I tend to remember the ones I don't care for and the ones that are AMAZING!!! -(P -(P

Heavy_d
08-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Ooooorly? My friend just uprgraded his phone to a Galaxy S5 and gave me his S4 (I had a walmart brick 15$, for the past 2-3 years lol). So I am back into the game with a smartphone in tow.

The one I use is Mobile Stogie for iPhone. Not sure if it's available for android, but might be.

stevef2005
08-24-2014, 08:18 PM

Dunno how I missed this. I use/used "My Humidor" to try and keep track of what I had in the humidor. After a few weeks though I kept forgetting to add/remove and it got all out of whack. Simple but did what I needed it too. The free one I know limits you to like 20 entries or so but I think it costs a grand total of 2.99 for the full version. Seemed to work great for me but like I said, I kept forgetting to use it.

Edit: Its in Google Play store for Android...

czerbe
08-25-2014, 09:43 AM
I thought about keeping track but to be honest all I do is keep a log on my phone of what I smoked and how many of each, but I don't make side notes or wrapper styles, things like that... i just want to sit down and enjoy the smoke.

NCRadioMan
08-26-2014, 09:59 PM
Just like you can remember if you liked what you have eaten, you can remember if you liked the cigar. And usually, if you can't remember what the cigar was like, you probably didn't like it.