PDA

View Full Version : Starting my collection soon.

Byaah
08-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Pardon me if this is not the proper place to discuss/ask this, I will delete and/or move it asap. Still new here ;s

I am looking to get my collection started and I figure the best and smartest thing for me to do is buy variety packs. As I only know of one cigar for 100% certainty that I like (Romeo y Julieta Reserve Maduro) I need to taste tons of stuff.

I am not against anything (prefer non-flavored att) strength, size, color, leaf, origin, does not matter. I just need to put in the time.

The one thing holding me back, well actually two, is I need to figure out my storage situation and my disability check is not that much so I need to shop smart or slow.

So, with all of that said, what do you recommend I buy? Is there a place that really just gives sweet deals for variety packs? Things of this nature.

Remo
08-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Cbid usually has 5 packs cheap, CI always has samplers for fairly cheap, could try that, and get a small cooler or Tupperware for storage.

Porch Dweller
08-22-2014, 06:43 PM
When I started getting serious about cigars I bought a lot of samplers from CI and from FSS (Famous Smoke Shop). I smoked a ton of sizes, strengths, different countries of origin, wrapper, etc. It won't take you long before you start to know what you like and what you don't.

And if you haven't done so yet, I recommend signing up for the Asylum's Newbie Sampler Trade. That's another great way to try some different smokes.

As for storage, you don't need to get fancy with humidors or wineadors when your budget is an issue. Get a large tupperware container or two and a couple of Boveda packs and you're all set.

Dude Here
08-22-2014, 07:05 PM
I really suggest getting yourself a copy of "The Complete Idiot's Guide To Cigars". I read this book years ago when I very first started out in cigars and found it to be very informative, and rather funny to boot. It gives you everything from the history of cigars to storage to tips and tricks for lighting and cutting. The best part? You can read it while you're smoking! Link is below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1592575919/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1408755572&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

As for what to buy, you really can't go wrong with samplers. You can find them sorted by anything really. Wrapper type, strength, size, manufacturer etc. I would also second the recommendation of signing up for the Newbie sampler here on the Asylum. There are some VERY generous BOTL's here who would be more than happy to help you out.

Also, like Porch Dweller said, good sealing Tupperware/cooler and some 65-70% Boveda packs are the way to go when you're just getting started. Welcome to the addiction brother!

WhiteMamba
08-22-2014, 07:06 PM
What all of these guys said. I would also add that almost all of the samplers and what not offered at Cigars International and Famous-Smoke are offered on their auction sights. CI's is cigarbid.com and famous' is cigarauctioneer.com. That being said, always be sure to check what an item is going for on the retail site so that you don't overbid. Also, tupperware is great but it can fill up fast. If you're going to get more than 50 cigars I would recommend a cooler and some cigar beads. These are all the things I had to figure out within the first few months. :2 Have fun!! It's a blast

Byaah
08-22-2014, 07:29 PM
And if you haven't done so yet, I recommend signing up for the Asylum's Newbie Sampler Trade. That's another great way to try some different smokes.

Yeah I did this today or last night! I am looking forward to w/e happens next.

As for storage, you don't need to get fancy with humidors or wineadors when your budget is an issue. Get a large tupperware container or two and a couple of Boveda packs and you're all set.

Ok I will look into this, I have heard people saying they use Tupperware but I don't know what Boveda packs are, I am sure when I find a Tupperware post I will learn what it is, thank you for the feedback!

The Poet
08-22-2014, 07:48 PM
Boveda linky

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/search/?q=Boveda+Humidification+Packets

Plus

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigar-101/

AdamJoshua
08-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Yeah I did this today or last night! I am looking forward to w/e happens next.

Ok I will look into this, I have heard people saying they use Tupperware but I don't know what Boveda packs are, I am sure when I find a Tupperware post I will learn what it is, thank you for the feedback!

They are for humidification, they will help keep your cigars at a certain humidity range.

Byaah
08-26-2014, 06:49 PM
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigar-101/

This was nice to watch. Thank you!

The Poet
08-26-2014, 07:27 PM
This was nice to watch. Thank you!

De nada, broh.

08-27-2014, 08:09 AM
Mike mentioned CBid, this is what he was talking about:
http://www.cigarbid.com/

It's a site owned by Cigar International, linked above. However, it has much better prices if you are patient/savvy. You can compare the CBid price to the retail price on CI and know if you're getting a deal or not. Read up on the way CBid ships for maximum savings too.