PDA

View Full Version : Pit Boss Humidor DIY

cjs0216
08-20-2014, 05:12 PM
So I've just recently got back into cigars and my Dad gave me a few small humidors. However, I've almost grown out of them. Talking with my Dad last night, I told him that I was sort of looking in to building my own and that I wanted something totally unique. I also wanted something that would fit on my desk, and something big enough to hold at least 100 cigars.

Knowing that I'm a craft beer fan and an avid gamer, he let me know that he had an old Pit Boss Bar Top arcade game sitting in his shed that would fit perfectly with the criteria I had given him. He gave me a few pointers as to what I'd need to do to bring our idea to fruition, but I sort of wanted to poll some people that have experience with woodworking and building their own humidors.

The main concern I have at this point is the fumes given off by the old electronics and the impact that may have had on the wood. He told me that I could sand the inside, seal it, and line it with spanish cedar. That seems reasonable to me, but I'd like a second opinion on this as my Dad, like me, is an electronics guy, not a woodworker.

I have included a pic of the unit, and would like to know if it would be feasible to convert this unit into a humidor so that I don't waste time and money on something that would ruin my cigars.

AdamJoshua
08-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Very cool, having grown up in the vending / cig business we had a few of those in different bars.

I will say that food safe / non-odor silicone is your friend, specially in a project like this. Can't wait to see the final product.

cjs0216
08-20-2014, 05:42 PM
That's sort of what I was thinking as well...I will post some picture on this thread for sure when I finally get my butt over to his house and pick up the unit!