PDA

View Full Version : RIP Robin Williams

mhailey
08-11-2014, 05:10 PM
I can't believe it. Suicide??? You never know who is struggling on the inside.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/comedian-robin-williams-found-dead-63-n178176

Conch Republican
08-11-2014, 05:12 PM
Wow - some things don't discriminate.

Thanks for making us laugh - wish you could have gotten through the pain!

You will be missed.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/08/11/robin-williams-dead-at-63/

pnoon
08-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Very tragic. Let's hope he finds peace.

CigarNut
08-11-2014, 05:17 PM
May He Rest In Peace.

bobarian
08-11-2014, 05:21 PM
So sad. Rest in Peace Mr. Williams.

Starscream
08-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Battling depression. Hope it's not what I think it is. R.I.P., Mr. Williams.

equetefue
08-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Incredibly sad to see him go. Spent a lifetime making people feel what he could not find himself. RIP Mr Williams

8zeros
08-11-2014, 05:57 PM
I'm sorry for his family. Suicide only brings an end to what "you" thought was pain. Very selfish.
It's not in my makeup to understand this action, no matter what. I figure it was just his time to go, so he went. Rest in nothingness, Robin. Bye.
Maybe he needed as hard a life as I have. I get supreme joy out of stopping the struggle long enough to smoke a cigar. I think I'll have one now and celebrate being alive. Then I'll give my grandchildren a hug, as ornery as they are. They are the only ones who will remember me.

kelmac07
08-11-2014, 06:10 PM
R.I.P. Robin

Zane
08-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Sad to see him go. Always enjoyed his work.

AdamJoshua
08-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Rest in Peace and thank you for the laughs.

Brlesq
08-11-2014, 06:39 PM
One of my favorites. Very sad. He was a hero of mine even when I was a teen, and I remember sneaking in to one of his standup shows in Philly in 1978 just before Mork and Mindy became a TV show.

WhiteMamba
08-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Is this real?

AdamJoshua
08-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Sadly yes. He battled depression for years it seems and was most recently drinking again after being sober (drugs and booze) for 20 years. No one will really know what was going on on the inside while he was smiling and making us all laugh on the outside, it's not for us to judge.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67441

Dave128
08-11-2014, 07:44 PM
One of the greats is gone. RIP Robin Williams.

icehog3
08-11-2014, 07:46 PM
It's a very sad day. I am a big fan of Mr. Williams and his work.

Also sad for people who have no compassion, regardless of how they handle things.

M1903A1
08-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Also sad for people who have no compassion, regardless of how they handle things.

^^^This.

The Poet
08-11-2014, 09:22 PM
It's a very sad day. I am a big fan of Mr. Williams and his work.

True dat, brother.

Here's a short tribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-JUF3xHdbI

Rest in peace, Mork.

elderboy02
08-11-2014, 09:43 PM
RIP. So many great movies, I can't pick one... Hook, Patch Adams, Mrs. Doubtfire...

Robulous78
08-11-2014, 09:53 PM
I was never aware of his depression and substance abuse seems to go hand and hand with Hollywood today now anyways, so this came to me as quite a shock that he had such demons.

Rest in Peace Robin. May you finally find the happiness you gave to so many others.

RWhisenand
08-11-2014, 10:02 PM
It's so sad to hear that someone who gave us so many laughs over the years battled this demon, RIP RW.

Tio Gato
08-12-2014, 05:36 AM
Sad indeed. Let's hope this loss will inspire people suffering from mental illness to seek the help they need.

STEVE S
08-12-2014, 06:12 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Robin Williams, you made us all laugh for so many years.

Blueface
08-12-2014, 06:41 AM
I am heartbroken.

I am not afraid to say I have met his daemons and am blessed to eventually fight them off each time they pay me a visit.
No one is excused from depression, not the rich, not the famous, no one.
Hard for most to understand, even those who have it.
If all it took was a shrink or a pill, boy what a wonderful world it would be. Unfortunately, it is much more complex than that.

My heart goes out to his family and may he rest in peace.

CigarNut
08-12-2014, 07:49 AM
I am heartbroken.

I am not afraid to say I have met his daemons and am blessed to eventually fight them off each time they pay me a visit.
No one is excused from depression, not the rich, not the famous, no one.
Hard for most to understand, even those who have it.
If all it took was a shrink or a pill, boy what a wonderful world it would be. Unfortunately, it is much more complex than that.

My heart goes out to his family and may he rest in peace.

Very wise words.

14holestogie
08-12-2014, 08:31 AM
So much sadness for one who gave so much joy to others (and a great troop supporter).
Rest in peace, Robin.

pektel
08-12-2014, 09:57 AM

Ain't that the truth. I'm there right now. They are trying to fight it with pills and a shrink. I'm slowly finding that while both of those are valuable tools, they themselves are not a "fix" for what happens in one's psyche. The support of my friends and girlfriend (both of whom do not judge, but instead desire to help) are exactly what I've needed.

A talk with a good friend on here reaffirmed the belief that I can't conquer it on my own. And he is 100% correct.

CigarNut
08-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Here is a short clip from 1993 where Robin Williams reviews his life in 2 minutes:

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/flashback/flashback-watch-robin-williams-sum-his-life-two-minutes-n178426

AdamJoshua
08-12-2014, 12:43 PM
I think, a lot of us miss him profoundly even though he is someone we never met, though we never met he still touched our lives in many ways and many times over. Someone that made us think, that made us laugh and made us cry, this through all of the characters he brought to life, they, like him, will be missed.

Depression is hidden away from most of us until it's unbearable to those inflicted and when you find out, sadly it's often too late to help, I know this first hand.

So while there are those that are clearly better than everyone else, I hope they never have this disease strike close to home, I would hate for them to have to look down on their own loved ones and condemn them for their terrible inner struggles, despair and pain.

drjammer
08-13-2014, 07:31 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Williams and thank you for all the great laughs.

8zeros
08-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Once you're dead only one can condemn you or help you or have compassion for you and it's not one of us. I've stopped three people from committing suicide and helped pull some out of depression. I count these as crowning achievements of my life. Nothing sticks with you like saving someones life. One of my friends did kill himself but it was a total surprise to everyone. I would have done anything to help him. At least Mr. Williams left a legacy that will be remembered. As for resting in peace? The theology and philosophy are balanced away from that but it is a nice expression.

This poem lives in my soul:
'No Man is an Island'

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

MEDITATION XVII
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions
John Donne

The Bible book of Ecclesiastes holds my perspective too. One of the deepest books of practical wisdom.

To those of you fighting your demons, don't resist help! The greatest help may come from the least expected place. Seek a new perspective. Love the little things. Accept love.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I will say no more.

The Poet
08-13-2014, 09:59 AM
I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I will say no more.

I am not offended in the least. Yet I just saw an article saying that Robin's daughter Zelda has suspended her Twitter and Instagram accounts due to the number of cruel, nasty, and hurtfully insensitive comments and "doctored" photos she has received from anonymous posters since his suicide.

I do not consider the comment in reference to be so, nor have I seen these in this thread, and I do not expect the members of this community to indulge in such tastelessness. Still, I feel moved to suggest discretion.