PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Series

nutcracker
07-30-2014, 07:43 AM
So what are you guys watching?

Just finished the second series of Copper which was great for about 3/4 of the two series and then fizzled with some really bad overacting and civil war angst.

We really enjoyed Luther - absolutely superb British crime drama (recommended +++).

Started watching The Fall another Brit drama, but set in Belfast. Painfully slow and we stopped watching the first episode before it was done. Life is too short.

BlkDrew
07-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Longmire, Orange is the new black (if you can look at it outside the box) and house of cards

Shaneg
07-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Second the house of cards

stearns
07-30-2014, 08:18 AM
I can't recommend Luther enough, it's short enough that it doesn't take long to finish (14 episodes between the three seasons) and is way more intense than any other crime drama i've seen.

Also a big thumbs up for house of cards and (if you liked the original series) arrested development. I watched the first season of orange is the new black and thought it was alright, haven't jumped on the second season yet

nutcracker
07-30-2014, 08:33 AM
I can't recommend Luther enough, it's short enough that it doesn't take long to finish (14 episodes between the three seasons) and is way more intense than any other crime drama i've seen.

Also a big thumbs up for house of cards and (if you liked the original series) arrested development. I watched the first season of orange is the new black and thought it was alright, haven't jumped on the second season yet

Yea - you gotta just love Alice in Luther.

Kevin Spacey remains one of the great actors of his generation. (Although he defined himself with the Usual Suspects, and it's hard to see him as anything other than really sinister!)

pektel
07-30-2014, 08:47 AM
Goosebumps, Woody Woodpecker, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, etc.

I don't get to pick what we watch.

Although, when it's really late, I will sneak in some Stephen Hawking programs (I believe it's called "into the universe")

dave
07-30-2014, 09:55 AM
In last few years, we've streamed following serials end to end with no commercials (in approx order of how much we enjoyed them):

Older stuff -- Well worth the time:
Firefly - could just be one of the best series ever
Rescue Me
West Wing
Prison Break
Intelligence - great Canadian drama - shame it only lasted two seasons
Sleeper Cell - I'd never heard of this, but it is pretty good

Good filler stuff: Winds of War, Defenders, Touch, White Collar, South Park

Tried, but couldn't get into Breaking Bad, Luther (couldn't understand the English accents), Weeds, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy....and a few others

Most of the Netflix originals:
House of Cards - Very good.
Orange is the New Black - Great.
Lilyhammer - Different, but VERY entertaining - I highly recommend
Hemlock Grove - Couldn't get past first two episodes...seemed well done, just not to my taste

Others:

Chicago Code - Great! I can't work up Firefly-level outrage, but dumbfounded that it only lasted one season

The Job - Can't believe I never heard of this. Great! Rescue Me would never have happened without this. Very funny.

Scandal - Don't pay attention to network TV, so this had escaped us....first season was good; second season was sort of good, but as scenarios got wilder, it got harder to suspend disbelief and just enjoy the ride

mjdx88
07-30-2014, 10:01 AM
My wife and I just watched Bones up to the past season finally.

I just picked up Fringe

G G
07-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Fringe and Bones are great. I also am watching Continuum. An oldie Crossing Jordan. Have watched all of Lost. Nashville and some others I can't remember at the moment. I also use playon with the add on script 1Channel to watch shows right away, since Netflix takes a while to get new seasons. I guess it's questionable whether it's legal.

gettysburgfreak
07-30-2014, 12:35 PM
house of cards kicks ass

nutcracker
07-30-2014, 02:25 PM
I guess it's questionable whether it's legal.

Step outside and light up a Cohiba! -(P :)

kugie
07-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Orange is the new Black

Watching clone wars series with my son and we both are enjoying it.
Also netflix did the final season of clone wars and it's only available on netflix.

Also Sherlock the wife and I love this.

makers_fiend
07-30-2014, 03:52 PM
I have been needing ideas of what to watch next. This has helped out alot. I have watched Merlin, SOA, Weeds, Breaking bad. I don't know if it is on Netflix but Nip/Tuck was pretty cool also. These are in no way order of preference.

nutcracker
08-01-2014, 06:40 AM
So I picked up on Wallander (the Swedish version). Actually quite good - after episode 2 it becomes intriguing, with rather original story lines. If you can tolerate the subtitles, pretty good. The first two episodes seemed to be to a formula, and while trying to predict the outcome of episode 4, the writers fooled me. Cool. I like that.

Don Fernando
08-02-2014, 02:08 AM
nobody mentioning Fargo? Of the From Dusk till Dawn series? wow

nutcracker
08-24-2014, 05:13 PM
Now into "The Killing" season 3. Quite close to home as a few teenage girls have disappeared around here, one found in the Red River a week ago.

Adriftpanda
08-24-2014, 05:59 PM
The killing. Hands down best show.

hotreds
08-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Finishing up House. Not sure what my next series will be.

Porch Dweller
08-24-2014, 08:06 PM
I've slowly been working my way through the new Dr. Who series.

the jiggler
08-24-2014, 08:20 PM
All mentioned already I think but:

Longmire
Fargo
House of cards
Sherlock

elderboy02
08-25-2014, 05:00 AM
I just finished the 2nd season of Breaking Bad. I am REALLY enjoying this series!

nutcracker
09-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Binged the end of the Killing Season 4. Fizzled. Series 3 was great.

Started watching Revenge. Feels a bit like a soap opera with all the beautiful rich types with perfect teeth and silicone C cups living in the Hamptons. Interesting premise though.

dave
09-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Watched the first two episodes of new Netflix 'Original', Happy Valley last night. Good cop show. However, I'm afraid it will be set aside for the same reason that Luther has been; it is too much trouble to try and understand. Takes place in Yorkshire, England and I just seem to have a hell of a time with English accents (and Irish....and Scottish.)

stearns
09-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Binged through "BoJack Horseman" yesterday. Watched the whole season, still not sure if I like it or not. Every episode had its funny parts, but overall very strange

Porch Dweller
09-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Binged the end of the Killing Season 4. Fizzled. Series 3 was great.

Started watching Revenge. Feels a bit like a soap opera with all the beautiful rich types with perfect teeth and silicone C cups living in the Hamptons. Interesting premise though.

My wife's been watching a loot of 'Revenge' lately, too. She's enjoying it.

blugill
09-10-2014, 12:16 PM
The Killing is great.
Like many others on here, Luther is amazingly powerful.
Sherlock is superb.
Enjoyed the intensity of Low Winter Sun.
I like Jack Taylor, Irish cop drama.

I enjoy the older shows too like McMillan and Wife, Culumbo, Rockford Files.
Some shows don't stand the test of time though like Miami Vice. Just really hard to set through an episode without having a laughing fit at how cheesy it is now.

blugill
09-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Comedy wise I LOVE Trailer Park Boys!!!!
Loved Bojack Horseman too!

blugill
09-10-2014, 01:17 PM
I've slowly been working my way through the new Dr. Who series.

I did this about four months ago!
Wow what a great show, so many great moments I couldn't begin to list them!

nutcracker
09-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Just tried "Hinterland" - Welsh cop drama. Amazing countryside around Abberystwyth - wonderful lilting Welsh accents too. Bit slow.

kugie
09-11-2014, 05:37 AM
Hell on Wheels
Good series

elderboy02
09-11-2014, 06:24 AM
Finished House of Cards. Great show!

I am now starting Archer. Ok so far.

kugie
09-11-2014, 06:28 AM
Finished House of Cards. Great show!

I am now starting Archer. Ok so far.

Archer is the most wrong show on TV. :noon:D:r

nutcracker
12-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Ripper Street Season 2 is on deck. Binged the first half on the weekend. (Was cold outside and I had man flu. What's a lad to do?)

I struggled with some of the cockney in the first few episodes, but it's shaping up to be a pretty good series.

pektel
12-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Alton Brown: Cut Throat Kitchen. Awesome. Even my kids like it.

nutcracker
12-15-2014, 04:11 PM
So who's watching Marco Polo? Thoughts? It was touted to be like a historical Game of Thrones piece. Certainly skips around in short sequences. The "bad guys" are really evil.

Not sure of the history - story taking 3 or 4 episodes to pick up.
Seems entertaining enough....

shade
12-16-2014, 04:03 AM
Binged through Marco Polo this past weekend. I liked it a lot. Not up to Game of Thrones, but good in it's own right.

Lots of great characters, my favorite being the blind monk Hundred Eyes. I'm a sucker for martial arts.

blugill
12-16-2014, 05:33 AM
I just finished Marco Polo last night, amazing!
I really loved that show, especially Hundred Eyes!

looking for know
12-16-2014, 07:10 AM
You guys got to check out Peaky Blinders.

Porch Dweller
02-24-2015, 03:49 PM
I've been watching some episodes of Archer. It's hilarious; a great combination of low-brow & high-brow humor.

wdwkelly
02-24-2015, 06:35 PM
The FALL is fantastic..... also looking forward to House Of Cards...Equally superb!
The Fall...may be the best made show i have ever seen...AMAZING acting..all involved.

nutcracker
06-05-2015, 11:03 AM
Just finished "Generation War"
Great series - ww2 angst from a German perspective
Worth watching

Adriftpanda
06-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Daredevil, best series.

dave
06-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Anything Ken Burns on Netflix lately -- currently Civil War
Over on Prime, we're watching Boardwalk Empire S1 -- pizzed to learn that subsequent seasons aren't free....wtf

ksknnr
06-05-2015, 11:56 AM
about 3/4 of the way thru bloodline, pretty decent so far.

irratebass
06-05-2015, 01:13 PM
Kimmy Schmidt Unbreakable (if you liked 30 Rock you will like this)
Daredevil - Awesome! Bring on Season 2
Orange Is The New Black - Season 3 starts next Friday

SnuffCan
06-05-2015, 06:15 PM
You guys got to check out Peaky Blinders.

I cannot second this enough. Do you love organized crime? Do you like post-world war industrial England? Does police corruption and fire-bombing sound exciting to you? Than this is MUST SEE TV.

irratebass
06-06-2015, 06:10 AM
Started watching Firefly last night.......it's ok, only the 1st episode, not sure why it gets all the love, but I'll continue on and see how I feel after the 5th ep

dave
06-11-2015, 07:32 AM
Based on comments above, started Peaky Blinders. Thank you.

The word that continually comes to mind while watching is 'stunning'. I'm a completely about substance...function over form.....aesthetics are lost on me....but Wow! This show has it all in spades. The story is good, the acting great....that's enough to get me. But the sets, lighting, sound, music....man....this really is something special. I was very afraid that the cockney English would make it unwatchable for me (I had to quit Luther and Happy Valley for that reason), but it hasn't been too bad. And when Grace starts singing....joy

area51
06-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Orange is the New Black is out Tomorrow!

irratebass
06-11-2015, 02:13 PM
Orange is the New Black is out Tomorrow!

:banger

AdamJoshua
08-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Daredevil, best series.

Just started watching this on Episode 2, loving it so far, this is helping to scrub Ben A's terrible movie from my memory, oh the DD one before you ask which terrible movie.

jonumberone
08-09-2015, 05:16 AM
Looking forward to Narcos later this month!

nutcracker
08-09-2015, 06:54 AM
Watching the Glenn Close series "Damages".
She's plain nasty in the role.

elderboy02
08-09-2015, 09:27 AM
I am watching Mad Men. So far, so good! :tu

Rmufb71
08-23-2015, 08:05 PM
Looking forward to Narcos later this month!

I am looking forward to this as well! :noon

Marco Polo was a good series as well.

Did anyone else get lost in Sence8? :tf