PDA

View Full Version : Data Recovery from a 5.25" Floppy (Apple IIc)

massphatness
07-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Long shot but I said I'd ask:

I have a friend who is trying to recover a data processing document from 5.25" floppy disk used in an Apple IIc computer.

Document is likely an AppleWorks doc, but he's not 100% sure.

He no longer has the Apple IIc

Any helpful suggestions for recovering the file from the floppy and getting it converted to a usable (ie. Word) format is appreciated.

Steve
07-29-2014, 02:34 PM
Wow...real floppies. Brings back memories...

Wish I could help though.

markem
07-29-2014, 02:40 PM
If he is near you, then the Boston computer museum may be able to help or provide a pointer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Computer_Museum,_Boston

massphatness
07-29-2014, 03:07 PM
If he is near you, then the Boston computer museum may be able to help or provide a pointer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Computer_Museum,_Boston

They are, unfortunately, closed

The Poet
07-29-2014, 04:39 PM
Didn't I see this already on an episode of Burn Notice? :D

Sorry, can't help. I might have an old CPU buried somewhere that takes the big old floppies, but it ain't Apple for sure.

AdamJoshua
07-29-2014, 04:58 PM
I am probably wrong but to convert something like that you need to read it onto the correct old apple machine then read it back off of that machine, seeing as there are no current or even close to current world processing programs available for that computer it seems closer to impossible. Even things like the Sony "floppy" from the Macintosh and Lisa's you'd have a tiny bit better shot, but not much at all.

It does make you wonder what's on there though :D

Edit: Sent word to a friend, his day job is converting old old old film to digital, he has a lot of random old computers and things that he has up and running, I'll see if he has anything that will help.

A

Victor808
07-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Wow...
That's a tough one.

I mean, even if you get a 5.25" drive on USB, I'm guessing his current computer isn't going to even begin to understand that floppy.

My best bet would be to look for some sort of emulation software. Something that will create an Apple running environment on his existing computer. Then he'll have to run the necessary word processing software, open it and get it out of there in some raw txt format.

Does your friend currently have an Apple, or a PC? This is important.

Victor808
07-29-2014, 05:35 PM
http://www.a2-web.com/a2emul.html

Here's a list of apple running environment emulators.
You'll need one of these, as well as get it to run Appleworks, and an external 5.35 drive.

JoeCool87TC
07-29-2014, 09:13 PM
A data recovery firm may be able to help, but it won't be cheap.

jledou
07-30-2014, 04:51 AM
Maybe check computer departments at some local universities to see if they have some laying around or on display that could read it. I don't think you will be getting it "off" the disk unless you hand write whats in the file.

JoeCool87TC
07-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Data Recovery: http://www.datarecoverymasters.com/

Hardware Solution: http://shop.deviceside.com/prod/FC5025

Hope this helps.

massphatness
07-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Appreciate all the feedback, gents

Victor808
07-30-2014, 03:13 PM
Maybe check computer departments at some local universities to see if they have some laying around or on display that could read it. I don't think you will be getting it "off" the disk unless you hand write whats in the file.

Along that note, if you could just print it, then re-scan it into a modern computer with text recognition.

I know my parents still have a disassembled IIe laying around the house, I'm sure finding one with a printer shouldn't' be impossible.

In the end, it depends on just how badly you want that data.

DBall
08-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Tell him to hop in the Delorean and make sure to have enough road to hit 88MPH...

8zeros
08-01-2014, 10:28 AM
I've done this kind of job before and have an idea, but it involves a lot of work, skill and luck.

Get an old computer with a floppy drive and a CDRW.
Load some kind of Linux.
Read the raw data from the floppy to the hard drive.
Copy the data to the CD. Take it to an Apple computer. Maybe it will read it.

or

Use some kind of hex editor in Linux to extract the data.

Don't know if it will work but worth a try.

Conch Republican
08-01-2014, 11:33 AM
The problem is the electrical differences. Hex editor wouldn't be able to mount the disc most likely.

If cost isn't an issue - I would contact drivesavers (in Cali)

If cost is an issue:
There is a serial (or audio) cable that connects an Apple IIc to a pc...
now, obviously assuming he doesn't have an Apple IIc handy

There is another issue that reading the data will be very difficult (open a word document with notepad) and you see some text and a lot of gibberish.

I employ some pretty good people at this stuff - and they don't even want to try it, sorry.

Buckeye Jack
08-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Just throwing this out there in case a solution is found and you are in need of an Apple IIc....there is one in my Dad's basement. It probably hasnt been turned on in 20+ years, so I have absolutely no idea if it works. I would be more than willing to go see if it will power up if need be.