PDA

View Full Version : Temp control in humidors

Steve OB
07-24-2014, 02:48 PM
I am new to the forum. I( have read many threads about what temperature and RH should be (70/70%). I was wondering, how does one control the temperature in cooler humidors and most desktop wood box humis? I am converting a Magic Chef wine cooler into a humidor. It will hold about 22 boxes of my favorite smokes (Oliva Serie V Churchhills) I know that compressor driven cooling systems tend to suck the humidity out of the box, so I don't intend to use the cooling system. I will unplug it. I intend to use beads to control RH. I learned that the mean annual RH where I live (San Diego) is 69%. The unit will be inside. In the summer the temp inside varies between 65 and 75 (no A/C). That means the temp inside the unit will be 65-75. Occasionally, it gets up to 80, but it doesn't last long. The winters average between 60-65 indoors. If I maintain a 70% RH inside the unit, will my 3 cigars be OK?

icehog3
07-24-2014, 02:56 PM
Many varying opinions about humidity levels, Steve, I prefer mine 65% or lower. 70% is the highest end of the spectrum, but I think cigars smoke too "wet" at 70%.

As far as controlling temps, I keep my house at 70* in the summer. If that is not an option for you, I would keep my humidor in a place that receives no direct sunlight. A basement is great if you have ones, temps will be naturally cooler there. If not a basement, at least in what tends to be the coolest part of your home.

Welcome to the Asylum. :ss

Steve OB
07-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Thank you!

makers_fiend
07-31-2014, 09:20 AM
I am having major temp issues in my humi & cooler right now. I am not sure if the temp on by hygrometers is out or something else. They are both reading 74-77 degrees. The house is kept at 72 or lower during the day/night. It certainly does not feel that hot in the house. I have made the decision to buy a koldfront 28 btl but can't order it until the 15th. What can I do until I get that in?

CigarNut
07-31-2014, 11:01 AM
When did you last replace the batteries in your hygrometers? It may be that the batteries are old enough (> 3-6 months) that the devices are not reading correctly.

If you have frozen your cigars then you do not need to worry about the high temperatures. If not, you might consider freezing them to kill the beetle eggs and then the high temps will not be an issue for you.

makers_fiend
08-01-2014, 08:39 AM
I haven't frozen them. Guess I better read that sticky...
I am not sure on the batteries. I will replace them anyway. I got them in a package deal from someone who was getting out of cigars. Thanks