PDA

View Full Version : Gas Grill Recommendations

Hammerhead
07-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Hey, guys. Long time, no post. Been keeping a low profile for personal and economic reasons, but knew that I can always rely on y'all for good advice.

I'm looking to replace a CharBroil 'Red' grill I bought in 2010 when I closed on my home in PA. Unfortunately the quality of construction just didn't cut it and the internal components started rotting out in only a couple years. The biggest problem was with the infrared troughs, which only last about a season before rusting through and needing to be replaced at $100/set.

Right now, I have my eye on a Weber Genesis E330, but would be interested in hearing your thoughts on any other options.

Thanks in advance!

hammondc
07-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Weber. /thread

mjdx88
07-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Weber Spirit / Genesis all the way. The Genesis is a big grill, if you entertain alot or do a lot of grilling its worth it. If not scale down to the nice 3 burner spirit you wont go wrong.

These still need to be covered when not in use and cleaned after each use. Even with that depending on your enviorment you will have to replace the flavorizer bars periodically and the grates. But when cared for these grills will last you easy 10+ years

Hell if you want spree for the ducane they are even better!

forgop
07-21-2014, 03:42 PM
I have gone through 2 of the $400-500 types of grills over the past 10-12 years.

Fast forward to a month ago I brought home a Weber Genesis E330. I'd be money ahead if I had only done this to begin with. The lid alone probably weighs more than some of the grills being made today.

Get the E330 and don't even look back.

Wharf Rat
07-21-2014, 04:58 PM
My Weber Genesis is 11 or 12 years old. The piezo ignition finally wore out but matches suffice. I also replaced the steel flavorizer bars with stainless copies a buddy in the company shop made. Use it constantly!

Hammerhead
07-21-2014, 05:58 PM
These still need to be covered when not in use and cleaned after each use. Even with that depending on your enviorment you will have to replace the flavorizer bars periodically and the grates. But when cared for these grills will last you easy 10+ years

Bingo. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a store that stocks Weber parts. Troughs for the CharBroil RED? Not so much. They last only about one year, and you have to order them online, so it winds up nearly $150/year on top of what you spend for the grill. All this, despite religiously covering the grill after every use.

For example:

CharBroil Trough set: $109 plus shipping
http://www.charbroil.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=trough&get_parts=true&go=

Weber flavor bars: $40 plus tax.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Porcelain-Enameled-Steel-Flavorizer-Bars-5-Pack-7534/100623126

I'm thinkin' this would look pretty sweet on my deck:
http://www.taylorsbackyardcenter.com/image/cache/data/product/grills/6532001Genesis-E330-Copper-500x500.jpg

hammondc
07-21-2014, 06:05 PM
I have that one in green. Matches the BGE

Stevez
07-21-2014, 06:41 PM
What every one else has said. You won't ever regret a Weber. I have the gas grill, two smokers and a Performer.

Chainsaw13
07-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Another weber testimonial. Mines going on 10 years and still running strong.

Dude Here
07-21-2014, 07:29 PM
I used to have a four burner Kenmore and thought it was the best grill ever. Then I got a Weber Performer and the Kenmore was gone the next week. Even being charcoal it blew the gas Kenmore away in construction quality and evenness of the heat. If I could afford a Genesis I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Flynnster
07-21-2014, 08:27 PM
I worked for an outdoor kitchen company for a few years, and we made super high end grills (Think starting price of $15,000) and my money would go to a weber genesis in a second.

Bruzee
07-21-2014, 08:36 PM
I have the Smoke Hollow 4 in 1 grill. Gas, charcoal, smoke box, and searing grill. I love it because it allows for whatever kind of mood I'm in. All 4 functions work wonderfully. I suggest buying a quality cover and consistent cleaning. :2 Good luck! :tu

Conch Republican
07-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Funny, I have been scouting these as well. I really like the feel of the Weber Genesis - and I don't need all the side burner crap...we got my mom a Ducane a while back - and it has been a great grill, anyone compare or have the 2?

Stevez
07-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Funny, I have been scouting these as well. I really like the feel of the Weber Genesis - and I don't need all the side burner crap...we got my mom a Ducane a while back - and it has been a great grill, anyone compare or have the 2?

I had a Ducane years ago before my Weber gas grill and I loved it as well. When it finally died after many good years I wanted to replace it. But, Ducane as a product line was sold and I couldn't find many locally or even a good selection online. Maybe it was just me, but that kind of turned me to look elsewhere and I found the weber. I would say the quality of the workmanship and material was very comparable. Not so sure about now. I still see more Webers.

Indy-hp
07-22-2014, 12:30 PM
We have a KitchenAid branded grill made by Nexgrill Industries. So far, so good, but it is only two seasons old.

I've had good experiences with Weber tabletop charcoal and propane grills, so I'd probably get a Weber if the KitchenAid craps out.

A good friend has a Ducane and it is a very nice grill, but I don't know if he has had to replace any parts.

Hammerhead
07-22-2014, 01:07 PM
As much as the quality of the grill itself, I'm convinced that availability of replacement parts is key. Weber's product line is ubiquitous, so you can almost always find parts just about anywhere.

When I was at Lowe's the other day, one of the store reps gave me a 'pitch' on a Broil King, claiming they used to make the fire box for Weber, and that their components were of a higher quality - i.e. a heavier gauge of stainless on the burners, a smaller internal volume under the hood which meant more fuel efficiency and they had a better warranty.

As we were standing in front of the Genesis, I disabused her of the warranty issue by telling her Weber guarantees the large components for 25 years and the small parts had the same coverage as the Broil King, but I could at least get them anywhere if I needed them, a smaller internal volume means burners are closer to the food meaning more hot spots, but it also meant less room for a roast if I wanted a rotisserie. And then Ka-klannggg the door just fell off the Broil King. "Well," I said "Say what you might about the Broil Kings, but I don't see any Webers with missing doors.

Yep. Timing in life is everything. Weber for me.

GoatLocker
07-22-2014, 11:09 PM
Weber Summit. I splurged a few years ago and bought the S-670. No doubt the Genesis will give you more bang for your buck, but I love the Summit. Add a Weber Smoky Mountain and you are set.

Conch Republican
07-23-2014, 08:44 AM
So I finally found a number for Ducane (their website is awful) and now I know - Weber bought the Ducane name, and Ducane is no longer produced. That said - there are TONS of Ducane replacement parts (Home Depot, WalMart, Lowes and Amazon).

So I guess it will likely be a Genesis 3 series (I don't need the side burner crap) But Eric I will look for the Summit as well... Hammerhead - thanks for letting my hijack this thread :r

Stevez
07-23-2014, 09:46 AM
My Weber is also a Summitt and like Eric I splurged. I love to grill and wanted the rotissiree and that was the only model that had that. It is huge and in retrospect I would have been just as happy with the Genesis model. Just measure and be sure you are comfortable with the size.

Also, I highly recommend looking at the natural gas models. I had that installed before I ordered my grill and love not having to deal with the tanks. some say there are differences in how it burns versus propane; I've never noticed anything. I love that feature.

mosesbotbol
07-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Whatever Costco is selling.

hammondc
07-23-2014, 01:21 PM
If the price difference is not big, i'd suggest getting the side burner. I use mine all the time. Warm chili for hot dogs. Peppers n onions for tacos/fajitas. Beans.

gettysburgfreak
07-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Had the biggest pain in the ass with a Broil King at Lowes a few months ago. Guy tried telling me it was such a great grill for the money (800 bucks). Went through three of them because they were all POS. Finally stopped f'ing around and bought a Weber Genesis and its a fantastic grill. The thing is solid and feels like an 800 dollar grill should. You wont regret it.

Hammerhead
07-23-2014, 04:00 PM
If the price difference is not big, i'd suggest getting the side burner. I use mine all the time. Warm chili for hot dogs. Peppers n onions for tacos/fajitas. Beans.

I'm TOTALLY down with the side burner. That's what the RED had, and ironically enough, the only thing that hasn't rusted to its bones.

When grills go on sale at the end of the year (usually after Labor Day) what sort of discount could I expect? Is it 20%... 30%... just curious.

mosesbotbol
07-24-2014, 04:58 AM

I use the side burner more than I use the grates. I like cooking steaks on a cast iron pan (outside on side burner) and it keeps the kitchen clean up a breeze.

blugill
07-24-2014, 05:33 AM
Ok, big question if I may.
Why gas?

Hammerhead
07-24-2014, 07:02 AM
Ok, big question if I may.
Why gas?

Because charcoal is a PITA. It creates a huge storage inconvenience, it's problematic for large items like rib racks because it's hard to get an even burn, it can't be used effectively for a roast (like pork) because you have to remove the roast empty the ash and add fresh coals periodically over 4 hours, it goes out if you have something that drips a lot, and I can get the same results on a gas grill with a handful of wood chips which come in a MUCH smaller bag.

But please - try and convince me I don't want gas. :r

Steve
07-24-2014, 07:14 AM
"Top" Gas Grill...

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/66388/my_grill_detail_detail.jpg

:noon:noon

blugill
07-24-2014, 08:21 AM
If you're going to drop some coin on a big nice grill that you don't want to replace then I'd go with a BGE. It's a great cooker and it'll last forever. But it can be overkill if you just want to cook one burger.
If you want to convenience of gas in a charcoal flavor then get the Weber Performer with the gas start ignition. Also with a charcoal storage bin that stays dry in a complete monsoon.
Oh, and check out the BBQ Pit Boys on You Tube and see everything you mentioned cooked on charcoal.

Check the prices of propane too, on a big multi burner grill you'll use a lot of gas on a four hour cook. A bag of lump charcoal in a BGE will last an entire 18 hour smoke if you cook anything that long.

Hammerhead
07-24-2014, 08:33 AM
If you're going to drop some coin on a big nice grill that you don't want to replace then I'd go with a BGE. It's a great cooker and it'll last forever. But it can be overkill if you just want to cook one burger.
If you want to convenience of gas in a charcoal flavor then get the Weber Performer with the gas start ignition. Also with a charcoal storage bin that stays dry in a complete monsoon.
Oh, and check out the BBQ Pit Boys on You Tube and see everything you mentioned cooked on charcoal.

Check the prices of propane too, on a big multi burner grill you'll use a lot of gas on a four hour cook. A bag of lump charcoal in a BGE will last an entire 18 hour smoke if you cook anything that long.

Having been using charcoal in my old gas RED grill to extend its usable life until I arrive at a solution, and also having used charcoal-only grills in the past, I can tell you that there is zero chance I'd want a charcoal grill. Also, because I frequently cook only one burger or a couple dogs or sausages, charcoal is a complete inconvenience for my needs. But everyone likes something different, I suppose.

Dave128
07-24-2014, 09:04 AM
This thread is helping me a lot. I think the Weber Genesis is going to be my next grill. I've been wanting to replace my gas grill this summer, but haven't been able to figure out what to get. I tend to buy cheap grills and they only last me about four to five years and yes, I cover it after every use.

I prefere gas simply because of the convenience. My buddy in SC has a BGE and only seems to use it on his days off or the weekends because of time issues. For me, if I only cooked on the grill on the weekends, I'd love to use charcoal. But, since I like to cook on the grill during the week after work, gas saves me a lot of time and greatly reduces the mess. Besides that, in my opinion, charcoal is a pita to use in the Upstate New York winters.

mosesbotbol
07-24-2014, 09:05 AM
I find gas grills dry out food more than wood based grills. Not to mention sometimes the food can taste like gas or greasy char from previous meals. Can't beat the convenience of gas though.

That is why I stick with the cast iron on the side burner. Our condo grill just too gross to use and I don't want to be the one cleaning a grill I don't use...

Hammerhead
07-24-2014, 09:40 AM
I find gas grills dry out food more than wood based grills. Not to mention sometimes the food can taste like gas or greasy char from previous meals. Can't beat the convenience of gas though...
That's why I liked the RED. It had an Infrared design that did not cook via convection. however, the new Weber design seems to be better at channeling hot dry air away from the food than their previous designs. Bottom line, I'm going with a Genesis.

tsolomon
07-24-2014, 09:58 AM
I like gas in the winter when it cold and I just don't want to mess with the charcoal. The ease with which you can light it, cook your food and turn it off makes it a must have for me. I still use charcoal when I have the time and prefer the flavor over gas, but gas is predictable and easy. I use the Traegar more often then either the gas or charcoal, but when it comes to steaks and burgers, the gas or charcoal grill is the way to go.

8lug
07-24-2014, 11:45 AM
For what its worth, I can get my BGE's to hamburger temp as quick as any gas grill. It's all in the technique. I use my eggs 3-4 nights a week for the past 12 years, they really are "no fuss" cooking.

Conch Republican
07-24-2014, 12:29 PM
I like gas in the winter when it cold and I just don't want to mess with the charcoal. The ease with which you can light it, cook your food and turn it off makes it a must have for me. I still use charcoal when I have the time and prefer the flavor over gas, but gas is predictable and easy. I use the Traegar more often then either the gas or charcoal, but when it comes to steaks and burgers, the gas or charcoal grill is the way to go.

This is where I am at. I need a grill (well, not that I have a gas stove I guess I don't "NEED" one...but that's another story) and last year bought a traeger. I use the traeger all the time, but when I want to sear and crank out some steaks or some lamb chops I like the easiness of a gas grill. Also for me - takes away the issue of someone (or me) screwing something up.

Propane is more expensive that Natural Gas - but I don't want to run a line around the house right now. Sounds like I am Genesis bound - and they make one with a flat pan in it :banger if I go that way.

Hammerhead
07-24-2014, 01:10 PM
For what its worth, I can get my BGE's to hamburger temp as quick as any gas grill. It's all in the technique. I use my eggs 3-4 nights a week for the past 12 years, they really are "no fuss" cooking.I was tempted by a BGE but it's still charcoal and the round shape makes it awkward for ribs. Not sure how a rotisserie would work, either.

Propane is more expensive that Natural Gas - but I don't want to run a line around the house right now. Sounds like I am Genesis bound - and they make one with a flat pan in it :banger if I go that way.You and I are pretty much in the same boat. Having lived with cooking via both methods, I find that propane is the way to go for me. Just a heads up - the Genesis 330 model has a sear area and side burner - something you might want to consider.

Stevez
07-24-2014, 01:21 PM
I too have the gas grill primarily for convenience and I have not noticed an issue with food being dryer in general. But, I have both a gas grill and a charcoal grill, which I understand not everyone wants to have both. I do enjoy both depending on the food I am cooking and the timing. I'm generally not a charcoal guy during the middle of the week, but that's just me. I do know you won't regret getting a Genesis.

coach
07-25-2014, 08:30 AM
I have a Weber 310 GAS. Stainless and love it. Large cooking area with 3 controls. No side burner but does have firm prep areas on both sides of grill area. I have mine on direct gas line hook-up into my house. That kit costs roughly $50 and has a pop off coupler. Cook year round.

mithrilG60
07-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Either Napoleon or Weber. Both are equivalent in level of build quality, warranty and pricing. Personally I've had a Napoleon Prestige P450RB w/o side burner for the last 6 years and it's been phenomenal. We cook almost exclusively on the grill in the summer so it's gotten very heavy use in that time, the only part that's worn out is the sliding drip tray and that was just because I didn't clean in out as often as I should have.

Regarding gas use, any quality grill should be well insulated and act effectively as an oven with the result being very little fuel required to maintain cooking temperatures once the grill is up to temp. I'll typically see 3+ weeks on a standard 20lb tank from my Napoleon and that's with cooking at least 5 nights a week on it including at least one roast or rotisserie per week.

It's the el cheapo $300 - $400 BBQ's from Costco et al that chew through the gas, especially if you're trying to cook roasts or use the rotisserie. Those grills are also much more challenging to use and consistently produce moist results on as they are much harder to do proper indirect grilling on due to their inability to properly hold heat with the burners off or on low.

tsolomon
07-25-2014, 12:55 PM
One way to save money on propane is to get your tank refilled instead of exchanging them at the local hardware store. Around here, the tank exchange places only fill them with 16 lbs of propane, but the tank holds 20 lbs. I have 3 tanks and get them filled at the local U-Haul store.

mosesbotbol
07-25-2014, 01:04 PM
One way to save money on propane is to get your tank refilled instead of exchanging them at the local hardware store.
Could also buy a big a** tank with a longer line and have service fill it once a season or what have you...

Dave128
07-25-2014, 01:07 PM
I use U-Haul as well for fill ups. They are the cheapest in my area.

equetefue
07-25-2014, 08:38 PM
I love my weber genesis. When putting it together I use thread lock and it is still as rock solid as the day I got it, and that was 5 years ago

forgop
07-27-2014, 12:30 AM
When grills go on sale at the end of the year (usually after Labor Day) what sort of discount could I expect? Is it 20%... 30%... just curious.

Not sure, but don't hold your breath for Weber grills going on sale. When any of the big box stores have coupons, Webers are always excluded. Their price is pretty much their price year round I believe.

mithrilG60
07-27-2014, 03:14 AM
Exactly. The end of season sales are used to clear out merchandise that retailers either don't want to store or think they'll have trouble selling the next season. Quality BBQs like Weber and Napoleon rarely change their designs from season to season and are always in demand because of how good they are. The stores also don't expect to move as many $1000+ BBQs in a year simply because most people will buy the cheaper brands thinking they're getting a bargain so they tend not to stock them in as high a volume.

Nice thing about buying them though is that, while the initial outlay is more, you're also buying a BBQ that will last you at least 10 - 15ys with a little regular maintainence and rarely requires replacement parts. My Napoleon for example carries a limited lifetime warranty on all major parts including cart, oven box, burners, grates, etc. it's a direct replacement for the first 10 years and a 50% replacement from year 11 onwards. I believe Webers warranty is very similar if not better.

Even though is feels expensive when you're making the purchase it pays for itself pretty quickly given how quickly the $300 - $400 BBQs wear out and have to be replaced. Besides, cooking on a good grill is a much much better experience. It's so much easier to to get good consistent results every time you use it. I couldn't imagine going back to a "regular" BBQ now.

It's also the little features that you appreciate. My cooking grids are a good 4" above the flavour diffusers. Means that flare ups are almost never a problem plus I can fit a full size 10" lausanga pan between the diffusers and grids which is perfect for a moisture and drip pan when I'm doing roasts. This pic for example was using that technique a couple weeks ago to do the most amazing bacon and apple stuffed frenched rack of pork. Cook time was 3.5hrs @ 450F, had to refill the pan with water and apple juice twice ;)

http://www.mithril.ca/misc/pork.jpg

coach
07-27-2014, 08:27 AM
I got my Weber Genesis 310 from Home Depot. Bought it ONLINE got free shipping and it was dropped off at my house. Took about 90 min to put together. I believe the cost was 700*(propane model 650, I bought NAT GAS model was 50 more) and also bought the cover blanket for another 50. like I said before, I have an outside portal that is tapped into my gas line, the pop off line to grill is another 40.

mosesbotbol
07-28-2014, 04:50 AM
Most Ace Hardware stores do the assembly on grills included with price; or at least they did for 3 different friends.

coach
07-28-2014, 07:42 AM
Most Ace Hardware stores do the assembly on grills included with price; or at least they did for 3 different friends.

Home Depot does it for all models but then you have to transport it home. Bro-n-Law works there and told me just have it drop shipped and he would help build.

Hammerhead
07-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Home Depot does it for all models but then you have to transport it home. Bro-n-Law works there and told me just have it drop shipped and he would help build.
Nah, I'd rather do it myself but thanks for the generous offer. Besides, I'm pretty sure Home Depot doesn't use LocTite on the screw threads. ;-)

http://gothammarketing.com/images/IMAG0332.jpg

Dave128
05-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Ordered a Weber Genesis E330 today. Can't wait to get it home.

mosesbotbol
05-03-2015, 08:14 PM

Ace delivered it assembled.

Flynnster
05-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Ordered a Weber Genesis E330 today. Can't wait to get it home.

You'll love it!

Dave128
05-22-2015, 07:48 PM
Grill came today! Can't wait to use it.

Question: the cooking grates have a smooth side and a raised side. Which side should face up? I've read mixed reviews and can't seem to get a solid answer. Thanks in advance.

Chainsaw13
05-22-2015, 08:08 PM
If you can Dave, put one each way and see what ya like. Once you figure it out, flip the other one over. Me, I'd go raised side up.

Dave128
05-22-2015, 08:39 PM
That sounds like a good idea. Thanks, Bob.