PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Salt Test vs. Boveda one step calibration

mrmsav
07-21-2014, 09:05 AM
Hey Guys,

Looking for an opinion on calibration method. I just recieved a new Xikar digital Hygro, and am curious if one of the above mentioned methods is any better than the other.

I bought a one step calibration kit with it, but am just curious if I should put that aside and go with the traditional salt test?

One difference I see is that the one step kit takes 24 - 36 hrs, where as according to the salt test instructions that came with the Hygro, it notes 4 hours.

Any thought guys?

markem
07-21-2014, 09:24 AM
It is likely that the salt test is close to free. That's the difference right there. The salt test should be run for a minimum of 24 hours. 4 hours will not be enough.

As long as you have the kit, use the kit.

mrmsav
07-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Perfect. Thanks.

Yeah I was surprised at the 4 hours,but those are the instructions that came with the Hygro.

I will use the pack.

Thanks
again

Zane
07-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Perfect. Thanks.

Yeah I was surprised at the 4 hours,but those are the instructions that came with the Hygro.

I will use the pack.

Thanks
again

If its the new style Xikar they no longer have a calibration button. They just guarantee it within 2%.

mrmsav
07-21-2014, 10:40 AM
If its the new style Xikar they no longer have a calibration button. They just guarantee it within 2%.

There is a calibration button on it. Calibration pack was offered as a add on when i purchased.

8zeros
07-21-2014, 12:56 PM
The title made me think this would be a comparison test. Has anyone done that?

mrmsav
07-21-2014, 03:00 PM
So, just got home from work, placed the Xikar digital hygro in the one step Boveda bag. Will get back to yas tomorrow evening.

Now the bag says 24 - 36 hrs. I am not exactly a patient person. Anyone know if there is any harm going with the 24 hr time frame vs the 36 hr?

Zane
07-21-2014, 03:16 PM
There is a calibration button on it. Calibration pack was offered as a add on when i purchased.

Nice. Means you got the old style. Not a bad thing.

mrmsav
07-21-2014, 03:27 PM
So once I get the digital hygro calibrated, how long should I leave it in my humi, before I consider it an accurate reading?

Keep in mind, due to ignorance on my part, and incompetence on the part of the local store that sold it to me (No mention of seasoning, or anything else), when I bought it about a month or so ago, I just soaked the sponge in humidification liquid, and dumped some sticks in. It was ok, for about a week. A few weeks later the humidity in the air here really spiked. I found my sticks way too humid, could even tell by touch. Less than a week ago it was 87% in the room I keep my humi in. Tonight it is reading 53% r/h.

When it spiked a few weeks ago, I took the sticks out threw them in a ziploc bag. Figured I would do this until I could get my humi under control.

Any help or opinions are more than welcome.

Thanks

mrmsav
07-22-2014, 03:24 PM
Just got home from work. At the 12 hr point before, I left this am humidity in the bag was 70%, now after 24 hrs it is still at 70%. I am going to assume its ready to take out and hit the calibrate button. Or should I wait another 12 hrs?

Ps - While i wait for your responses, I will be sitting on my deck with a rye and seven, and a Cohiba.

Cheers

RWhisenand
07-22-2014, 07:44 PM
You've settled the humidity level in the span range of the instrument. With that I would consider the unit calibrated.