PDA

View Full Version : My super cheap coolerdor build

jpb437
07-16-2014, 11:50 PM
So I needed to find a decent home for my sticks and I couldn't commit the funds to get a solidly built humidor yet so I went with the next best thing. Here is what I put together for $37.50 and a cooler I had at the house. I figure I can upgrade to some nice cedar shelves eventually and it will make a solid storage solution. Until then it should make a plenty comfortable place for my cigars to sit.

Here is the most expensive piece at $30. I think I could have gotten something better for equal price or less but this is what the local B&M sold so I picked it up.
I got a couple empty cigars boxes for $2.50 each. One I found happened to be an Asylum 13 box so I snatched that up for the graphic on it . Then I broke the box up and lined the bottom cooler with it. I put the cedar strips that lined the cigar box on top of that.
One of the boxes I couldn't bring myself to break apart because it was so well built so I just threw it in to take up space.
Then I threw in some humi packs to season the wood and when it read 68% I threw in my cigars.Here she is all loaded up.

I think it will make a happy home for my stash until I can upgrade. Any suggestions on how to spruce this up other than picking up some nice cedar shelves?

CdnStogie
07-17-2014, 05:19 AM
Looks good man.

I haven't fell into the trap just yet of all the purchases of the game and having to make a second for overflow (or third) - Though I just bought a house and the wife would have my throat if I started spending on a habit she is not fond of to begin with :)

Though the time will come. I am still working with my 50 humidor w/ a small tuppador for the overflow.

Jeff

Subvet642
07-17-2014, 06:21 AM
My wife helped me pick mine out. A cooler is my primary storage method; when used with RH beads it's almost maintenance free.

nutcracker
07-17-2014, 06:55 AM
Hi Joshua

I picked up some of these trays:
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_cedar-tray_TRAY.html

Surprisingly well made, nice and square and help get loose sticks tidied away.

jpb437
07-17-2014, 07:57 AM
Hi Joshua

I picked up some of these trays:
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_cedar-tray_TRAY.html

Surprisingly well made, nice and square and help get loose sticks tidied away.

Those look awesome and I can fit 4 of the small ones in the cooler that will be my next big upgrade for sure.

jpb437
07-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Looks good man.

I haven't fell into the trap just yet of all the purchases of the game and having to make a second for overflow (or third) - Though I just bought a house and the wife would have my throat if I started spending on a habit she is not fond of to begin with :)

Though the time will come. I am still working with my 50 humidor w/ a small tuppador for the overflow.

Jeff

So... the cooler was cheap to build but my wife wasn't impressed with the total cost to build it and stock it. I just told her that the total bill also included enough cigars to last me for a while and she calmed down. I made sure to let her know there will be more purchases but they will be spread out. Half the fun is searching for great deals to try new stuff.

Scoo52
07-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Looks good. Any way to adhere the side walls with cedar? I don't think screwing the cedar into the sides would hurt it any.

jpb437
07-17-2014, 06:37 PM
I was going to use Type III silicone but I didn't want to wait for it to dry and outgass any nasty smell. I thought about screws but I wasn't sure how well they would work. I may still try it or I may pick up some of the Spanish Cedar trays first and then cover the sides of the cooler to make them a semi custom fit. Eventually I want to get 3 trays and build the sides in to size. Then the the top tray can sit on cleats and slide back and forth. That way I have plenty of room for organization but I can see anywhere with out pulling out the top tray. Then again if I go through all of that I may just want to get a nice wooden humidor.

nutcracker
07-18-2014, 06:32 AM
.... my wife wasn't impressed with the total cost to build it and stock it. .

Explain the advantages of your new hobby:

1.) She now has gift ideas for friends and family - no more socks for you on Father's Day.
2.) Now she can surprise you with unexpected gifts that express her undying devotion to you, etc etc etc rhubarb, rhubarb.
3.) You belong to a cigar community that will set you up with all kinds of bargains.
4.) You will trade, swap and generally get bombed and the stock will rise.
5.) Since Eve scarfed the forbidden fruit back when, it's time for you to indulge in some forbidden Cuban leaf. Think of all the intrigue in procuring the forbidden fruit. Great for the libido.
6.) Will enhance your career prospects to offer the boss the odd really decent stick. (Cheaper than booze, and definitely better for people who fly expensive planes.)
7.) And as you mentioned - the purchases will be spread out, it will take at least a week to fill...:r:r:r

jpb437
07-18-2014, 04:33 PM
It sounds so good when you say it. When I think about what will happen when I tell her this, I picture this ending with me getting slapped. I might still try it anyway.:r:r

Dude Here
07-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Coolers are great, aren't they? I switched from a desktop humi to a cooler a few months ago and couldn't be happier. I've got a 70qt Coleman and it easily holds a pound of beads, 9 boxes and a digital hygro. Holds rock solid at 65%. Plus, it's much more durable than a wooden unit. My kids climb all over and jump off of my cooler and the sticks inside are just fine.