PDA

View Full Version : We have liftoff, Apollo 11 is on her way!

AdamJoshua
07-16-2014, 10:30 AM
45 years ago today 3 of the bravest sons of *****es to ever take a breath suited up and began their journey to the moon, to have the first human walk on another solar body.

NASA has had a special Twitter feed today recounting the pre-liftoff and liftoff action as if social media had existed then as it does today. Having grown up in Satellite Beach, yes named for the area and that most residents worked at PAFB or the Cape, our space program has always been one of my biggest interests and to me one of the highlights in American history.

It's well work going to the start of the feed and reading the tweets and viewing all of great pictures of the crew at breakfast, through suiting up, pre-flight checks and of course lift off.

I was only 2 when at the time of liftoff but I remember my mom telling me that the ground shook so hard, even some 40 miles from the tower, that many people had windows crack in their houses, the Saturn Vs were like earthquakes up and down the coast as they pushed out 7,500,000 million pounds of thrust.

Here is a link, you need to scroll a bit to find the start of the posts, but if you have any interest in this at all, it is worth it.

https://twitter.com/NASAGoddard/lists/nasa-twitter-accounts

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bsq05cgCIAALyVf.jpg:large

Porch Dweller
07-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Thanks for sharing this!

ColdCuts
07-16-2014, 11:33 AM
Very cool. :usa

I was born in 1969. I lived near the Cape from '79 to '89 so the Space Program was a big part of growing up for me as well.

icehog3
07-16-2014, 02:48 PM
I remember watching Armstrong step onto the moon on a TV set display at Sears Roebuck, as my Mom apparently thought it was important for my Dad and I to accompany her shopping that day.

AdamJoshua
07-16-2014, 05:57 PM
I remember watching Armstrong step onto the moon on a TV set display at Sears Roebuck, as my Mom apparently thought it was important for my Dad and I to accompany her shopping that day.

My mom told me they were watching from home and my elderly grandma was staying with us then, she refused to believe a man was walking on the moon, she kept asking what was on the tv and they were telling her who he was and what she was doing and she just it wasn't possible and to "put something else on". I guess that was what a lot of people in that generation thought. Well time to go watch Capricorn One ;)

icehog3
07-16-2014, 06:17 PM
I watched a youtube documentary that tries to show all the reasons that the movie "The Shining" was actually Kubrick's attempt to expose the "lie" that was the moon landing.

AdamJoshua
07-16-2014, 06:35 PM
Hmm I'd rather watch the "1,000,000 firecrackers being lit at once!" videos. :r

shark
07-16-2014, 06:46 PM
It is truly amazing how fast technology in that field expanded. The astronauts had huge brass ones, but the scientists and others behind the scenes who created the technology and made it work is another matter. In less than one lifetime we as a species went from a rickety airplane flying a few hundred yards at Kitty Hawk to men landing on the moon, and coming back alive.

AdamJoshua
07-16-2014, 10:36 PM
half a century

the most amazing thing is they did it with protractors and sliderules ...

icehog3
07-16-2014, 11:27 PM
Hmm I'd rather watch the "1,000,000 firecrackers being lit at once!" videos. :r

Understood, but "The Shining" is my all time favorite movie, and I was just looking for some insight. Instead I got a few tidbits mixed with a crapload of lunacy. :r