PDA

View Full Version : Humidor in wine cellar

nutcracker
06-30-2014, 08:36 AM
So - small problem.

Most of my cigars are in a formal, decent cabinet humidor, and aging happily as pigs in the proverbial.

I do also have a display humidor in my new fancy-schmancy wine cellar. I put a few sticks in to test, as the room is chilly (around 14 deg celsius/ 57 F). The humidity is set at 65%.

Now I realize one can't really age tobacco successfully in a cool environment, but the humidity is an issue, with the sticks are displaying signs of over-humidification (blunderbuss effect on the end and cracking wrappers.) Not good at all!!!

Aside form just abandoning the cabinet, does anyone have any advice? I personally think lowering the humidity to low 60's would be the preferred strategy, but I'm not sure how to even do that.

Regards

Neil

CoffeeWaterBeer
06-30-2014, 09:30 AM
60% beads would pull excess moisture from the air if I understand correctly. Also, it's odd to have 65% cause issues. I keep mine at that level though not at that temp.

Porch Dweller
06-30-2014, 09:48 AM
60% beads would pull excess moisture from the air if I understand correctly. Also, it's odd to have 65% cause issues. I keep mine at that level though not at that temp.

+1. I keep mine in a wineador at 65*/65% and don't have any issues.

czerbe
06-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Now I realize one can't really age tobacco successfully in a cool environment,

This is news to me? :sh

markem
06-30-2014, 09:56 AM
Lower the RH to 60% and always warm the cigars before smoking them. Get them up to about 65* or more unless you want the same effect when you start running heat through them.

They'll certainly age at lower temps. Many cigars have been stored for years in cellars, etc. and are fantastic.

Zane
06-30-2014, 09:57 AM
I know this is probably a dumb question but have you made sure the Hygrometer is calibrated? Might be set to 65 but it sounds like its higher.

ColdCuts
06-30-2014, 10:03 AM
I realize one can't really age tobacco successfully in a cool environment.

I've never heard that one before. :confused: This assertion is going to raise some eyebrows. :po

As for your humidity issues, in conjunction with what Zane just said above, what's the ambient temperature / humidity of your wine cellar, and how confident are you about the seal on your cabinet?

nutcracker
06-30-2014, 10:17 AM
I've never heard that one before. :confused: This assertion is going to raise some eyebrows. :po

Wikipedia 0 the fount of all scientific knowledge??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidor

AdamJoshua
06-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Wikipedia 0 the fount of all scientific knowledge??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidor

Well there you go, if it's on the internet….

nutcracker
06-30-2014, 10:24 AM
The temperature relationship relates to absolute humidity:

"Maximum absolute humidity doubles for every 20 °F or 10 °C increase in temperature. Thus, the relative humidity will drop by a factor of 2 for each 20 °F or 10 °C increase in temperature."

i.e. Thinking of the converse: at lower temp, with a constant RH, absolute humidity will rise.

nutcracker
06-30-2014, 10:25 AM
Well there you go, if it's on the internet….

It has to be true - I read it in the Sun! (quote Billy Connolly)