PDA

View Full Version : Colibri... kind of a let down

PCR
06-12-2014, 01:21 PM
I have a Colibri Providence triple flame lighter. Love it! Lately though it's become really finicky and unreliable. I clean it with compressed air, use Vector 5X fuel, in other words, I keep it in great shape. I called Colibri to get some repair help and come to find out the lighter has been discontinued and they will not clean/repair/replace it. Ok, I understand a 2 year warranty (even though I've had this lighter for less than that time) and they won't replace it but to not clean it or repair it is a let down to me. Oh well, I'll keep using my $2.95 Ronson (lights every time) JetLite.

OLS
06-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Yeah, if you read enough threads around here on lighters, you will see a clear separation between sheep and goats.
You found that there is a difference between saying your lighter is guaranteed and having a guarantee. I am with you
on the Jetlights. I have 3 dozen lighters, and after seeing the mixed results on all of them, I'll stay in the cheap zone.

icehog3
06-12-2014, 01:32 PM
I bought a Colibri lighter once.

Once. ;)

PCR
06-12-2014, 01:51 PM
It retailed for about $90 but I didn't pay anywhere near that amount. I am in agreement with you guys, Colibri...once. I'm sticking with Ronson.

jhedrick83
06-12-2014, 02:33 PM
I bought a Colibri lighter once.

Once. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/ft73Ulq.jpg

:r:r

Stevez
06-12-2014, 02:58 PM
I couldn't agree more with the Colibri once ONLY. Have a nice looking one I got for Christmas years ago and it's a POS. Unfortunately, I've bought others in the medium range which always let me down. Cheapers only for me now.

OLS
06-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Once they all get off work, you will hear all of the arguments for the brands that DO honor their guarantees, but once
bitten twice shy for us po folks. Jetlight take me away...

that and the chinese rocks $2.39 http://www.dx.com/p/compact-1300-c-butane-jet-lighter-4179#.U5oUtvldWSo
http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b611/CameraTestsPage/sku_4179_1_zpsb8e46ba0.jpg (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/CameraTestsPage/media/sku_4179_1_zpsb8e46ba0.jpg.html)

mahtofire14
06-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Yup, bought one on my own and it clogged up after about three refills. Swore I'd never use one again. Got another a year or so as a gift. Thought well I might as well see if this one is any better. Nope. Clogged again. From everyone I've talked to with Colibri lighters I'd say 90% of them are not happy with them.

CigarNut
06-12-2014, 03:47 PM
I really like my Blazer lighter. Not as inexpensive as the Ronson's or DX lighters, but it has never failed in 3 years.

My problem with the Ronson's is that the distance between the flame and the igniter is so small that I tend to burn my fingers when using them.

PCR
06-12-2014, 03:49 PM
I really like my Blazer lighter. Not as inexpensive as the Ronson's or DX lighters, but it has never failed in 3 years.

My problem with the Ronson's is that the distance between the flame and the igniter is so small that I tend to burn my fingers when using them.

I've been meaning to try a Blazer for years, now is a good time to do so. :tu

Xolotal Mungin
06-23-2014, 06:16 PM
I have to second (or third or fourth) this. And I'm stupid enough to have bought a number of Colibri lighters. I would just spot a model that looked nice and throw it on the counter. Then, once I noticed how many dead ones I had - and a more restrictive budget - I swore NEVER AGAIN. In contrast, my Corona Old Boy style pipe lighter has worked well for.. damn, since the '90s? with one service.

My cheap Vector is working fine and I had a Blazer that went to hell and back that got lost before it ever broke.

pektel
06-24-2014, 01:37 AM
Ronson jetlite ftw. They are the Bic of the jet flame world. My only gripe -if you could call it that- is no window to see how much fluid is left. But I'm old school. I just put the closed lighter up to my ear and give it a gentle shake to see if it needs.refilling.

I don't see a lighter as a status symbol. I see it as a tool. And if it works well, then it's a good tool.