PDA

View Full Version : Deliverance and Southern Comfort Revisited

boonedoggle
12-20-2008, 07:22 AM
It has been a while since I've seen both of these shows. Watched Souther Comfort first. A very young Powers Boothe starred in this good flick about Louisiana National Guard personnel f'ing with the wrong cajuns in my home land. Check it out some time. Direction of the movie was bearable, with moderately cheesy acting...but still a classic.
Who doesn't think and discuss Deliverance when on a canoe trip? I think it's the law or something. Inbreeding, Dueling Banjos, squeeling like a pig?! What else can you ask for? This all-star line up movie will leave you with disturbing images or wishes to drop what you are doing to find the closest fast flowing creek. Nevertheless, good direction and writing. Man, those hillbilly's can act! :D

For your disturbment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

muziq
12-20-2008, 08:02 AM
The thing I love about Deliverance is how it's both a film of its time as well as one that ages very well. I didn't come across it until well into my 20s, having gotten my film awareness in the period after Pulp Fiction; nevertheless, Deliverance's characters and plotline speak to a level of human violence and social disconnectedness that's just as jolting as Mike Leigh's Naked, La Femme Nikita, or name your dystopic favorite. That said, the presence of *nature* as a character directly threatened by human society's continuous encroachment--and nature's seemingly omnipotent power to destroy & create beginning to wane--are every bit a part of the mindset of social upheaval and fear of a disappearing wild country that for me characterizes so many films of the late 60s and 70s, even extending into some 80s films like Never Cry Wolf. For all the popculture jokes it spawned about banjos, hillbillies, and male rape, Deliverance is a complex film with strong messages.

Don Fernando
12-20-2008, 10:07 AM
I actually posted a clip of Deliverance here a couple of weeks ago in answer to some inmate that threathened to send a bomb :D