PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cigars that You'd Never Smoke?

schnell987
12-19-2008, 10:30 PM
After reading another post about who you would leave your cigars to, I got to thinking that there are certain special cigars in my collection that I probably will never smoke. I know I've got a few, gifted by generous BOTLs...cigars that I know I could never replace. They'll always stay on a special shelf in my coolerdor.

Do you have special cigars that you never plan to smoke - rare custom blends, gifts that have a special meaning, or limited edition smokes?

acarr
12-19-2008, 11:01 PM
No, they don't do anything for me collecting dust forever.

shilala
12-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Nope, none of them are sacred.
I'll either get around to smoking them or I'll get someone else to smoke them. :)
I do have one handful of super old smokes that I'm saving till this spring when we go camping. Some are 100 years old, I got them from Joe (Lenguamor) especially to share with a buddy of mine that I only see at the campground a couple times a year.
I have one other cigar that's a keepsake. I might just smoke it, but odds are that I'll just hang on to it.
All the rest are fair game. My humi is Death Row, more or less. :r

bobarian
12-19-2008, 11:48 PM
I used to, but an FOG much wiser than I told me even the best cigars are for smoking. Nothing is sacred. I may have some I save for special occasions or for PPP's. Life is too short to have regrets and not smoking what might be a spectacular cigar is something I would regret. :2

TomHagen
12-20-2008, 09:17 PM
smoke 'em if you got 'em...

Bubba - NJ
12-20-2008, 09:32 PM
I have some LGC serie R Limitadas that I just can't bring myself to smoke . I know I'll never come across them again but eventually they will burn .

gettysburgfreak
12-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Probably a 98 Boli PC or 98 Punch Punch, they are the oldest smokes I have

Don Fernando
12-21-2008, 01:22 AM
No, I will smoke them all although some (like the CC Davidoff with approx 30 years of rest) will wait for a special occassion.

ashmaster
12-21-2008, 04:06 AM
I really don't see any reason to save any particular stick from eventually being smoked.

eldondo
12-21-2008, 04:11 AM
There will always be a special occasion to smoke a special cigar... when they are only lying in the humidor you will never know how they would taste.... in many cases a big loss!

Heiko

goalie204
12-21-2008, 05:24 AM
They are all goin down

Yazzie
12-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Everything is fair game on any given day :ss

jonharky
12-21-2008, 06:04 AM
I have a "other" cigar in my humi right waiting for a special occasion b/c I rarely come across them but when that time comes I'm going to burn it down

macpappy
12-21-2008, 07:18 AM
The phrase, "Smoke 'em if you got 'em" comes to mind.

While I understand buying a number of special sticks and allowing them to rest I really can't see buying "special" cigars and not smoking them. If they are special already then they should be good to smoke now, not 20 years down the road when you may be dead and someone else is standing over your grave enjoying it.

68TriShield
12-21-2008, 08:05 AM
NO!

M1903A1
12-21-2008, 10:23 AM
A CC Por Larranaga Panetela that I found in my father's things. It had dried out before I found it (in a plastic bag with a dried paper towel in it), so there's no point in trying.

It's in a glass tube in one of my humidors, as a display piece.

dentonparrots
12-21-2008, 10:56 AM
I was gifted several Don Candido 501's from 1963 from a friend that I'm saving for my eventual wedding whenever that may be. One each for me and the missus and the other 2 are for my two best cigar mates. I can't bring myself to smoke them for the sake of just trying one.

bilkay
12-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Cigars are rolled to be smoked. Period.

WyGuy
12-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Cigars are rolled to be smoked. Period.

:tpd:

All of mine will smoked...eventually!

DKPRLP
12-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I have an IMENSO 7 X 80 and a bad frog I will never smoke

cigarmonkel
12-21-2008, 12:28 PM
i have yet to come in possession of a cigar that is worthy of never smoking... i have some 7-8 year old cigars in my vino but those still get smoked. The only ones i won't be touching for a while are some Opus X's that i wanna put some good age on before i lite em up.

Mr. Ed
12-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Everything is fair game on any given day :ss

:tpd:

I try to stay away from 'special occasion' classification of my cigars. When I want to smoke something I just grab it.

You never know when you'll get hit by a bus going in the eastbound lane, or slip on that bar of soap in the shower.

chippewastud79
12-21-2008, 02:20 PM
A CC Por Larranaga Panetela that I found in my father's things. It had dried out before I found it (in a plastic bag with a dried paper towel in it), so there's no point in trying.

It's in a glass tube in one of my humidors, as a display piece.

Thats a great piece for a collection. Not sure I would smoke that either, for the memory or the condition, probably makes for a better discussion piece than a smoke anyway. :tu

Smokin Gator
12-21-2008, 02:27 PM
When I first hit the slope really hard I thought there were lots of cigars that should be special occasion. Now I have more of those than I can imagine special occasions in the next several years!!! Plus a couple of much wiser BOTLs have changed my opinion on it.... Now I am firmly in the smoke 'em when you feel like it camp.

hotreds
12-21-2008, 02:38 PM
The two tubos that I got from the Dust-Off boys will never be smoked- they are now on display.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3655&page=2

The F-22 Demo NCOIC is giving me two cigars with the F-22 logo that will go with my patch display- I will also never smoke these.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6685

As far as stuff I've purchased- none of those has any sentimental value and will all eventually be put to the torch.

Tio Gato
12-21-2008, 03:11 PM
I had one cigar that I would never smoke. (I say had because it was in one of the humidors I had stolen recently.) I kid you not, it was a limited edition rolled to celebrate Gay Pride Day in Florida. The band had a map of the state with a rainbow colored triangle on it. It looked like a pretty cheap cigar, I bought it in Key West with the wife (I had to throw that in ;)). It was a good conversation piece for sure.
Other than that one, I hope to live long enough to smoke every cigar I have.:ss

BillyCigars
12-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Unfortunately, I am terribly sentimental and I have several cigars that I will probably never smoke. One example is a Davidoff Special 53 gifted me by a very generous BOTL as well as a Davidoff 100th Anniversary Diademas Fina gifted to me by the ever-generous PapaJohn. VirtualSmitty set me up with a few Opus X Perfexcion Xs back in '99 and due to sentimental reasons, I probably won't ever smoke them.

I think ultimately, all of my cigars will meet their fate but the ones I have the most attachment to, the most prized of my collection, will be saved for the most momentous of occasions.

ucla695
12-22-2008, 06:54 AM
I'm a smoker, not a collector, but there are some that will take a special occasion to be torched (AF HTFs).

wayner123
12-22-2008, 07:45 AM
I say smoke 'em if you got 'em.

There is always a special occasion that will come up. And if you are really that attached to it, why not take a picture of it and save it that way, then smoke it??