PDA

View Full Version : TSA advice requested

hotreds
05-11-2014, 07:55 PM
I want to take my XM radio and car kit as well as my GPS with me when I travel out west. Will TSA sh!t when they see all those wires and electronic gear and steal these items from me? Any chance I will run into an agent that has better than a 5th grade education and understands those items are not bombs?

Chainsaw13
05-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Shouldn't be an issue Hugh. I fly all the time with my laptop bag filled with all kinds of electronic gear/wires. Sometimes they'll take some stuff out and run it again, but that's only happened once.

gnbikes
05-11-2014, 08:06 PM
You should be ok. They don't even require us to take out our I-Pads anymore.
G-

Chainsaw13
05-11-2014, 08:20 PM
You should be ok. They don't even require us to take out our I-Pads anymore.
G-

Yep, just laptops. With both a top/side X-ray, they can see everything.

hotreds
05-12-2014, 07:40 AM
Kewl! Thanks!

tsolomon
05-12-2014, 07:46 AM
We travel with a lot of electronics and assorted chargers. I always keep the valuable parts in my carry-on, GPS, laptop, iPad and cameras. I will put the cords and chargers in my checked luggage. :2

Sweet_Leaf_PDX
05-12-2014, 10:32 AM
I've taken all sorts of electronics through TSA and never had an issue. I just recommend that you pack it as neat and organized as possible. They really can see everything very clearly through the x-ray. They can tell if it's full of circuit boards and computer chips vs full of explosives :)

Blueface
05-13-2014, 05:14 PM
Last week, traveled with a roll on carry on loaded with electronics.
Not an issue.
Now, go one drop over 3.5 ounces of liquids or gels and you will get a cavity search.

Only item you have to take out from bag for scanner is a laptop.

pnoon
05-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Last week, traveled with a roll on carry on loaded with electronics.
Not an issue.
Now, go one drop over 3.5 ounces of liquids or gels and you will get a cavity search.

Only item you have to take out from bag for scanner is a laptop.

Or possibly a CPAP.
I've had some ask that it be removed and some that say in the bag is fine.

TJtorpedo
05-13-2014, 07:20 PM
Somewhat related, but I had bought a nice lead crystal ashtray a while back, and it was in my carry on to take home. Went through xray, and TSA took an absolute s#$@ because apparently lead crystal has a similar density to C4 explosives...and by chance I also had a little MP3 player laying up against the tray. Let's just say that wasn't a very fun experience...

E.J.
05-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Somewhat related, but I had bought a nice lead crystal ashtray a while back, and it was in my carry on to take home. Went through xray, and TSA took an absolute s#$@ because apparently lead crystal has a similar density to C4 explosives...and by chance I also had a little MP3 player laying up against the tray. Let's just say that wasn't a very fun experience...

Now that's funny... Not so much for you at the time, but you have a Hell of a story!:tu

Blueface
05-14-2014, 05:33 PM

Cavity search, I mean prostate exam?:r

tam
05-21-2014, 02:44 AM

Lead crystal does not have a similar density to C4. Lead crystal reflects the x-rays back and instead of seeing through it you get a big yellow blob on your screen. That's why film photographers use lead bags to protect unexposed film when traveling. Anything that reflects x-rays is a "shield" alarm. All shield alarms require physical inspection.

Steve
05-21-2014, 06:16 AM

Lead crystal does not have a similar density to C4. Lead crystal reflects the x-rays back and instead of seeing through it you get a big yellow blob on your screen. That's why film photographers use lead bags to protect unexposed film when traveling. Anything that reflects x-rays is a "shield" alarm. All shield alarms require physical inspection.

And from the sound of it, possibly a full body cavity search... :noon

Steve
05-21-2014, 06:17 AM
Cavity search, I mean prostate exam?:r

Scary that we are on the same page...

tam
05-21-2014, 12:09 PM
And from the sound of it, possibly a full body cavity search... :noon

A physical inspection of the luggage! :r