PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever smoked an entire box without smoking anything else?

the jiggler
04-28-2014, 11:10 AM
The short: Just curious if anyone has bought a box and smoked the entire thing through without smoking any other sticks? If so, any thoughts? Was it a good experience? Would you do it again?

The long: A buddy of mine and I were taking about how we like to try new sticks all the time, sort of the groove we have fallen into, partially out of economic reality in terms of the way we buy and partially because we are still noobs and there are so many sticks we haven't tried. Whatever the reason it seems we only get to sticks we have tried before, and/or really like, once or twice a month. In the meantime we continue to add to the list of sticks we'd like to burn again.

For both of us, our favorite stick is the T52 robusto and we started talking about what it would be like if we could buy a whole box and smoke all 25 in a row, without smoking any other stick in between. Would it ruin us with regards to other sticks? Would we get sick of them? Would we discover new flavors and pairings we liked but hadn't noticed before?

So before I started selling stuff off so I can buy a box, I thought I'd throw the topic out there just to see if anyone else has done it and what kind of experience it was for them. I'm sure I saw a thread somewhere where Tom regaled all with a yarn about how back in the day he smoked nothing but Ghurka Assassins for a year but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

LasciviousXXX
04-28-2014, 11:18 AM
I can honestly say I've never had this experience. I came close long ago when I smoked through an entire bundle of custom rolled smokes fairly quickly. However, I constantly supplemented it with other sticks throughout that time.

Interesting question though. I'll be curious to see if anyone has actually ever done this.

shilala
04-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Yup. Sancho panza maduros and extra fuertes, one box after another after another.
Now, Tom exclusively smokes those Ghurkhas where you get a great big knife with them. That's why we call him Stabby.

icehog3
04-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Yup. Sancho panza maduros and extra fuertes, one box after another after another.
Now, Tom exclusively smokes those Ghurkhas where you get a great big knife with them. That's why we call him Stabby.

Stabby, huh? Wow. :r

I may have actually done this many, many years ago with La Aroma de Cuba Robustos. Or smoked nothing but those and La Vieja Habana Early Years Silencio 'til the boxes were gone. I think those Silencios came 40 to a box?

Remo
04-28-2014, 12:45 PM

I may have actually done this many, many years ago with La Aroma de Cuba Robustos. Or smoked nothing but those and La Vieja Habana Early Years Silencio 'til the boxes were gone. I think those Silencios came 40 to a box?

Stabby beats Stubby :r I could probably do it with LAdC's :tu

maninblack
04-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Nope. And nope.

RevSmoke
04-28-2014, 01:02 PM

Actually, I thought he was called stubby. it still had to do with a Gurkha knife, but it was also about an axe-ident (sound it out) while drinking and smoking a Gurkha while playing with the knife.

;s just couldn't resist.

icehog3
04-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Actually, I thought he was called stubby. it still had to do with a Gurkha knife, but it was also about an axe-ident (sound it out) while drinking and smoking a Gurkha while playing with the knife.

;s just couldn't resist.

That's ok, I was looking for a good laugh today, Todd.

Still looking. ;) :r

CRIMPS
04-28-2014, 04:11 PM
I don't think I have smoked more than 2 cigars of the same brand/model back to back. I don't think I could ever do this. I'm not exactly sure if I can give you a good reason, though. Hmm...

KidRock
04-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Many years ago I bought a box of Tatuaje Red Label Nobles (5X50) I think it was a box of 20 or 25. It should be no surprise that I smoked them in one month in a row. I also did it with the CAO Sopranos. I had the chance to get a box of Associates (Robusto) for cheap. I enjoyed it.

hotreds
04-28-2014, 04:33 PM
no

RobR1205
04-28-2014, 04:36 PM
I thrive on variety, so I'd never be able to accomplish that task. One of my favorite cigar rituals is taking 5 minutes just to decide what to smoke because I'm so dang indecisive. :r

x man
04-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Yes, In 1996 I smoked only Opus #2s for weeks, everyday,
I had bought 2 packing boxes of 40 each, u know the ones that say
not for display, and I know I smokd thru one of them without wanting to
smoke anything else, they smoked great rott in those yrs.

the jiggler
04-28-2014, 05:15 PM
I thrive on variety, so I'd never be able to accomplish that task. One of my favorite cigar rituals is taking 5 minutes just to decide what to smoke because I'm so dang indecisive. :r

I love that ritual.

badbriar
04-28-2014, 05:30 PM

I'm with Rob... Half the enjoyment of a good cigar experience is the anticipation! Like the smell and sizzle of great barbecue or a fine steak! :dr
RR

stevef2005
04-28-2014, 05:34 PM

That is me daily. Trying to decide what to smoke. Occasionally I get too digging and find stuff I forgot I had. Those are the good days.

jjirons69
04-28-2014, 06:32 PM
I'd smoke LCG Md'O #3s one box after another if I wasn't afraid I'd run out.

But to answer the question - no.

LasciviousXXX
04-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Its interesting that a few of you have actually done this. Impressive gents! Hell, it takes me 10 mins to pick out a beer let alone a smoke.

markem
04-29-2014, 09:17 AM
Back in the day when I only had one box at a time, sure. The most notable were the late 70s Partagas Coronas. Mind you, this was in the late 70s, so I was basically smoking ROTT.

dvickery
04-29-2014, 09:42 AM
nope ... closest (i think) would be the first box of bolivar coronas juniors i got ... 2 weeks and i smoked about 15 of them ... then a break(some other cigars) ... then finished it off .

elapsed time ... about 5 or 6 weeks .

derrek

CRIMPS
04-29-2014, 11:30 AM

Yup! :r

shilala
04-29-2014, 11:53 AM
I just thought of another one. I bought a box of PAM 26 #35's that was so good, I chain smoked through them in a heartbeat. They were gone in a few days and I wondered what happened to them.
Man, were they good. :D

massphatness
04-29-2014, 12:07 PM
I came close in the winter a couple years back smoking through a box of ERDM Demi Tasse while walking the dog each night. I don't think I smoked them exclusively during that month, but it was pretty close. I remember not enjoying it so much toward the end. I crave variety in my women. I mean cigars. Of course, cigars.

azar
04-29-2014, 02:02 PM
I can say yes I have done this with CAO MX2 & Camacho triple's. The experience was not to bad they are still both in my top 5 smokes enjoy them on a regular basis.

Brlesq
04-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Yup, but only when I was first starting 25 years ago because I could only afford one box at a time and we didn't have this fancy internet-thingy to order 5 packs and singles. Everything was local B&M (which was the Tinderbox chain at the mall) or mail order only (JR's, Mike's).

Shawn hines
04-29-2014, 02:44 PM
I did several years ago. Only because I was stationed on a ship that was out to seas for several months at a time. I was completely out of cigars until we pulled into Dutch harbor Alaska. The only full box of cigars was a box of makers marks in glass tubes... They were great by the way but I was young. Anyway 30 more days out in th Bering sea...yeah they didn't make it back to shore.

Adriftpanda
04-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Yes, smoked through a box of cohiba sig ii in a month. This was a long time ago, think the box code was '04 if I remember correctly.

jsnake
04-29-2014, 04:30 PM
I couldn't do that. I could probably smoke a few in a week but I like variety and there are so many I have never tried. If I have a good box of cigars and I know I love them I will reserve them for the times I want that special smoke. I could smoke 1 brand now but never the same cigar 20 or 30 times in a row without mixing it up.

smokin5
04-29-2014, 07:28 PM
I tried smoking a box once.
Dammed thing wouldn't stay lit.

But to answer your question - no.

Chimneyfish
05-02-2014, 12:35 AM
will have to agree with that one too! have too much of a rotation going to do that, really.

plus, it's so damn difficult when i smoke 1-2 times a week (max 4), only. i couldn't stand smoking the same thing for 2 months!!

MUNKY
05-02-2014, 06:47 AM
Jigg, you know that it is one of my favorite and me and a buddy did something similar and went 5 days in a row with a t52 robusto. Day 4 my tongue was somewhat scorched with the flavor of it. But it is still a top 2 stick for me. I think I could actually smoke a box of opus power rangers though, love that stick.

ky70
05-03-2014, 03:25 AM
Went through a box worth of JD Howard Reserves last year. I went on a run where it was the only cigar I was smoking and buying from B&M.

Subvet642
05-03-2014, 07:58 AM
I came close with my first box of La Flor de Cano PC's. I gifted some, but most I smoked and they were gone in no time. I think I smoked one of something else for every three LFdC's I smoked. Hell, I'm thinking of smoking one right now. :r