PDA

View Full Version : Weird Situation Kinda

stevef2005
03-25-2014, 08:19 PM
Alright. My question is this. I need to find a "good" smelling cigar that also tastes super yummy. My fiance has been complaining a bit lately about the odor of my yummy sticks. I prefer to stay away from infused cigars. Not my favorite by any means. Any suggestions? :confused:

jsnake
03-25-2014, 08:32 PM
I always find high quality cigars to have a wonderful aroma. You don't like infused but maybe you can get her a small infused cigar to try out and if she becomes a fan then no worries. Or try a Tabak Especiale which is chocolate and coffee tasting and smells great. Not a chemically weird infused flavor. That is how I got my wife started.

MrClean
03-25-2014, 08:51 PM
I agree with Jake, the Tabak's have a nice aroma to anyone not smoking. My wife used to comment when I smoked one of them. Now she just complains about any cigar that I smoke since I don't do the infused anymore. If I smoke the right CC, she'll comment on it smelling good, but for the most part she doesn't like the smell. Granted, when I started cigars, she still smoke cigarettes. She quit a couple years ago so that may play into it all.

dave
03-26-2014, 07:09 AM
Any suggestions? :confused:

A couple....but you probably won't like either one.

Sorry.
I do understand your attempts at being caring and understanding....but the guys above are on the right track.....I really hope you can get her to try one with you....Tabak or Ambrosia....or maybe a CAO Moontrance, perhaps. Baby steps in the right direction, or else possibly backward steps to a bad place

Brlesq
03-26-2014, 07:16 AM
x4 on the Tabak. Wife likes the smell of those. If you want it a bit stronger, go with the Red Eye.

STEVE S
03-26-2014, 07:21 AM
X5 on the tabak, a good starter cigar with a nice smell.

yourchoice
03-26-2014, 08:41 AM
I don't think he's asking for a stick for her to try, just one where she might find the aroma more pleasant. I could be wrong, though.:sh

jjirons69
03-26-2014, 09:08 AM
Steve, you have to smoke what YOU like. You may have to smoke outside of her presence as I think any cigar will come over as "cigar-smelling". I wouldn't smoke an infused cigar or any other sweet-smelling cigar so my wife would enjoy the aroma, especially if I weren't a fan of them. Sorry, it's my nasty habit and I like the way my go-to's smell. You may have to start smoking down wind.

massphatness
03-26-2014, 09:11 AM
Steve, you have to smoke what YOU like. You may have to smoke outside of her presence as I think any cigar will come over as "cigar-smelling". I wouldn't smoke an infused cigar or any other sweet-smelling cigar so my wife would enjoy the aroma, especially if I weren't a fan of them. Sorry, it's my nasty habit and I like the way my go-to's smell. You may have to start smoking down wind.

Well said, Jamie

Subvet642
03-26-2014, 09:19 AM
What I would be concerned about is setting the dangerous precedent that your Liberty is subject to the approval of your SO, or anyone else for that matter. There seems to be a pervasive notion in female culture that men are like children, to be controlled or managed; for their own good, of course. How many times have we seen television commercials that portray the "father" as some sort of idiot or heard a woman refer to her husband as one of her "children"? My wife tells me about other women she knows who have told her "You have to make him stop smoking!" or "Why do you let him smoke?". She says that she could never respect me if I was the type to just roll over and let her walk on me.

czerbe
03-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Well said Brother Darren. I 99% of the time smoke outside or at a local shop. If I have not other options cold Sundays for example then I will smoke in my upstairs office out the window, but my wife while she isn't the biggest cigar fan doesn't ever ask me not to. She knows its part of my life and something I really enjoy.

RUNYYFan
03-26-2014, 09:59 AM
Well said Brother Darren. I've had a few female friends and relations who have told me "I couldn't go out with you if you won't stop smoking that." My response to them is usually, "Well, I'm not fond of your perfume. Why don't you change to..." That derails the commentary rather quickly.

Steve, if this is a matter that your fiancé is trying to get you to change something you enjoy doing that is not illegal, immoral, or unethical, there may need to be a full stop and a heart-to-heart discussion about each other and the relationship and what irks the other about each others' quirks and personal interests.

Sweet_Leaf_PDX
03-26-2014, 10:59 AM
I agree with what Jamie and Darren have said on this subject.

My wife also does not enjoy the smell of cigars. I always smoke cigars outside of the house and I try to change my clothes when I come back into the house after smoking. I find that if I smoke outside, and there is a little wind, then it is really only my shirt/jacket that gets cigar-smelling. I typically wash my hands/face when I get back into the house, and change my shirt.

You could also try to burn a candle or some incense to mask the smell a bit - if she is outside with you and in the general vicinity when you are smoking.

stevef2005
03-26-2014, 04:24 PM
I don't think he's asking for a stick for her to try, just one where she might find the aroma more pleasant. I could be wrong, though.:sh

Yes. That is what I am asking about. She already smokes cigarettes and does enjoy a Macanudo or Montecristo cigar from time to time. She is just complaining about how MY smokes stink, especially my go to Famous Nic 5000. I was curious about some cigars with good fragrance that I can try to see if I like or not. Maybe find something I like that she can tolerate the smell of it. 85% of the time I am on the porch by myself smoking listening to some music but occasionally she comes out and wants to chill as well.

Agree. I do smoke what I like. I would not smoke it otherwise. I will not change that either. I am mainly looking for some ideas of decent smelling cigars for her sake when she decides she wants to come out and enjoy the sunshine. Of course I will not smoke a cigar if I think it is a dog rocket but I always like trying new cigars as well. Can maybe find a middle ground.

What I would be concerned about is setting the dangerous precedent that your Liberty is subject to the approval of your SO, or anyone else for that matter. There seems to be a pervasive notion in female culture that men are like children, to be controlled or managed; for their own good, of course. How many times have we seen television commercials that portray the "father" as some sort of idiot or heard a woman refer to her husband as one of her "children"? My wife tells me about other women she knows who have told her "You have to make him stop smoking!" or "Why do you let him smoke?". She says that she could never respect me if I was the type to just roll over and let her walk on me.

Well said. If she wanted to try and change who I am or dictate how I live my life we would not be together. She was actually the one who introduced me to the more premium cigars. Of course my tastes evolved from the original cigars she had me trying as well. I love me some Maduros! :dr

stevef2005
03-26-2014, 04:26 PM
I always find high quality cigars to have a wonderful aroma. You don't like infused but maybe you can get her a small infused cigar to try out and if she becomes a fan then no worries. Or try a Tabak Especiale which is chocolate and coffee tasting and smells great. Not a chemically weird infused flavor. That is how I got my wife started.

I actually though about trying a Tabak. I think I have a Java as well in my small humidor that the car salesman who sold me my truck gave me when he figured out I smoked. Would not turn it down a free stick, especially one gifted too me. May try that out as well. If I don't like them I can just toss em and light up another.

RWhisenand
03-26-2014, 09:26 PM
For some reason, my wife notices pleasantly, when I smoke a La Aurora Preferidos. She finds the aroma nutty, (well that could be me also) rather than smokey.

Taki
03-27-2014, 05:49 AM
Break up with her :tu that will solve all your problems! There are plenty of fish in the sea.

(just kidding, although.... :hm)

Zanaspus
03-27-2014, 06:30 AM
My wife always knows when I light up an NC. She says, "that smells like a stogie." When I light something from the big island, she actually tries to smell it. :2

stevef2005
03-27-2014, 12:58 PM
Break up with her :tu that will solve all your problems! There are plenty of fish in the sea.

(just kidding, although.... :hm)

It crossed my mind.....Okay..JKJK.

stevef2005
03-27-2014, 12:58 PM
For some reason, my wife notices pleasantly, when I smoke a La Aurora Preferidos. She finds the aroma nutty, (well that could be me also) rather than smokey.

Will look into them.

mosesbotbol
03-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Older cigars tend to have a cleaner smell in the air and less after taste.