PDA

View Full Version : What to do with boxes?

8zeros
03-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Empty boxes. I save them but I don't know why. About 15 years ago I threw a bunch away or gave some away. Now I have a big stack of them again.
I use them for nuts and bolts. Pieces and parts. Sh!t and stuff. But I was wondering what others have done with their empty boxes.
Watcha say?

Remo
03-05-2014, 08:55 PM
My wife uses some of mine for crafts and whatnot. Cool ones I keep, others toss.

smokin5
03-05-2014, 09:06 PM
I have a good friend who covers them in cigar labels
and other assorted fabrics, then sells them as 'art'.
If you ever want to unload some, let me know
& I'll cover your postage.:)

AdamJoshua
03-05-2014, 09:06 PM
I've used a couple to put beads in, they are great because they are shallow and the beads are spread out / more surface area. Others I have given to friends for whatever they wanted, one guy is making a cigar box guitar with his son as a hobby project, I gave him a large box (2) and a couple for his son, smaller box for smaller guitar.

ir13
03-05-2014, 09:08 PM
I use the cabs and SLB boxes for singles and the dress boxes make great bonfire starters and smell great in the process.

Flynnster
03-05-2014, 09:57 PM
I've got a small box that I use for bands, matches from shops, and extra lighters. It's actually getting a bit full, I should probably get another one.

maninblack
03-05-2014, 11:22 PM
I hoard them like those freaks on TV. Now my basement is full of them. It's a sickness i tell ya.

Jitsupriebe
03-05-2014, 11:53 PM
I have used 4 to make custom gun storage. Cut foam to fit in box and then cut out for the pistol and mags if needed. They stack nice in the safe!

Porch Dweller
03-06-2014, 05:42 AM
My wife uses some of mine for crafts and whatnot. Cool ones I keep, others toss.

:tpd:

One addition: my wife tries to sell the one's I don't plan on keeping at our neighborhood yard sale. She probably sells about 1/2 of them.

mikesr1963
03-06-2014, 06:05 AM
Depending on how they look, remove the tops and create a wall collage of your favorite smokes in your man cave and/or area.

irratebass
03-06-2014, 06:32 AM
I used to save them, then the spare bedroom was too cluttered, now just throw them out, or take them to the shop and sell them.

massphatness
03-06-2014, 07:25 AM
I usually burn them

STEVE S
03-06-2014, 07:26 AM
My wife also sells my empty boxes at the garage sell. My local B&M made a display wall with the empty boxes, and everyone loves it. Now a lot of the guys are doing this in their houses.

irratebass
03-06-2014, 07:43 AM
My wife also sells my empty boxes at the garage sell. My local B&M made a display wall with the empty boxes, and everyone loves it. Now a lot of the guys are doing this in their houses.

Once I get my man/cave built (hopefully this year) I plan on doing that too.

czerbe
03-06-2014, 07:58 AM
I'm planning on making a light stand out of them.

mikesr1963
03-06-2014, 06:00 PM
You better save the nice ones cause the FDA want all art work removed from them.

bobarian
03-06-2014, 06:04 PM
You better save the nice ones cause the FDA want all art work removed from them.

:sw The "FDA"?:sh

8zeros
03-06-2014, 06:08 PM
I think he meant "NSA".
-(P

CigarNut
03-06-2014, 07:47 PM
I think he meant "NSA".
-(P

As Bob said:

:sw The "NSA"? :sh

Dude Here
03-06-2014, 07:52 PM
I think he meant "NSA".
-(P

Nope FDA. Check this out: http://cigarobsession.com/2014/03/03/a-message-from-famous-smoke-shop-regarding-cigars-and-the-fda/

If the regulations are passed without modifications you can kiss walk in humis, cigar box artwork and advertising good-bye. The FDA would be able to regulate the amount of nicotine within a cigar and new blends would have to be submitted for approval through the FDA, much like experimental drugs. Seriously scary stuff.

As for empty boxes, I use them to hold all sorts of odds and ends kind of stuff. They make for handy storage of pipe smoking accessories as well.

markem
03-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Yet no one provides a cite to an FDA proposal for regulation. Interesting.

bobarian
03-06-2014, 08:44 PM
But its Famous Smoke Shop! They never mislead or exaggerate the facts. :bh

markem
03-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Yet no one provides a cite to an FDA proposal for regulation. Interesting.

Looks like it is just this rumor from 2011 being passed around again.

"Currently, the FDA is attempting to put restrictions on how tobacco products are made and sold in the United States. As it stands, premium cigars could be included in these regulations. But, as you well know, cigars are fundamentally different from cigarettes and other forms of tobacco. So in turn, they should be afforded different regulatory treatment. It’s our job to make our elected officials understand this, and also understand that the implications of these regulations could effectively end premium cigars as we know them today.

FDA regulations could potentially require, for example:
Graphic warnings on cigar boxes, advertising and point of sale materials.
Significant advertising restrictions such as black and white only ads.
Only behind the counter sales. This could prohibit walk-in humidors.
Only face-to-face sales. This could prohibit mail order sales.
Ban on flavored cigars.

As cigar enthusiasts, we need to speak as a unified coalition. Please be active, be heard, and ask your U.S. Congressmen, especially your Senators, to support HR 1639/S 1461 "Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011" . This bipartisan legislation clarifies the Tobacco Control Act to exempt premium cigars from FDA regulation and will stand up for our rights as enthusiasts. "

There is a link that points to the CRA website where the reader is informed that the alert is no longer active. http://capwiz.com/cigarrights/issues/alert/?alertid=54019671

There is, however, some news about the FDA and deeming rules for tobacco. I'm guessing that the CRA push is merely confusing the deeming issue with the chicken little efforts from 2011. http://www.csnews.com/product-categories/tobacco/deeming-regulations-%E2%80%98-800-pound-gorilla%E2%80%99

Dude Here
03-06-2014, 09:26 PM
But its Famous Smoke Shop! They never mislead or exaggerate the facts. :bh

Haha, of course not! I happened to be looking at cigar obsession at the time and just linked the video. Seriously though, why the FDA feels it needs to have a hand anywhere in the cigar industry is just beyond me. I can understand the whole "protecting the kids from the evils of tobacco" angle but come on, how many kids do you see hanging out and lighting up a $10 cigar? Premium cigars aren't marketed tpwards nor are they really affordable to the people these regulations would look to "protect". If they want to lean on cigarettes some more, fine, I quit smoking those nasty things years ago, but keep out of my B&M damn it. :2

Dude Here
03-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Looks like it is just this rumor from 2011 being passed around again.

"Currently, the FDA is attempting to put restrictions on how tobacco products are made and sold in the United States. As it stands, premium cigars could be included in these regulations. But, as you well know, cigars are fundamentally different from cigarettes and other forms of tobacco. So in turn, they should be afforded different regulatory treatment. It’s our job to make our elected officials understand this, and also understand that the implications of these regulations could effectively end premium cigars as we know them today.

FDA regulations could potentially require, for example:
Graphic warnings on cigar boxes, advertising and point of sale materials.
Significant advertising restrictions such as black and white only ads.
Only behind the counter sales. This could prohibit walk-in humidors.
Only face-to-face sales. This could prohibit mail order sales.
Ban on flavored cigars.

As cigar enthusiasts, we need to speak as a unified coalition. Please be active, be heard, and ask your U.S. Congressmen, especially your Senators, to support HR 1639/S 1461 "Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011" . This bipartisan legislation clarifies the Tobacco Control Act to exempt premium cigars from FDA regulation and will stand up for our rights as enthusiasts. "

There is a link that points to the CRA website where the reader is informed that the alert is no longer active. http://capwiz.com/cigarrights/issues/alert/?alertid=54019671

There is, however, some news about the FDA and deeming rules for tobacco. I'm guessing that the CRA push is merely confusing the deeming issue with the chicken little efforts from 2011. http://www.csnews.com/product-categories/tobacco/deeming-regulations-%E2%80%98-800-pound-gorilla%E2%80%99

Hmmmmmm, perhaps I'm worrying about nothing then and have been duped?

I did however write to my state rep John Carter who sent me a response saying that he is in support of HR 729, which is the resolution mentioned in the Famous video. No specifics on whether or not this or anything related to it will be coming to vote anytime soon but there is some factual stuff out there on the FDA regs.

If I am dragging up an old/dead issue then my apologies for foolishly pushing along bad info. Too much :tf I guess, lol.

TFed
03-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Can't give all the details. But spoke with my brother who has many contacts having worked in a number of U.S. goverment departments despite now being on a 5 year assignment working for the U.N. In Rome. Likely enjoying a CC while we speak.

And, it seems that while the video is a little over the top, it is mostly accurate.

They would like to cover the boxes with U.S. Government supplied pictures of open coffins, skeletons, diseased persons etc.

And they definitely want to ban internet sales as well as not allowing access to B&M humi's. The feeling seems to be that if you take the pleasure out of the purchase, such as the excitement of winning an online auction or the sensual pleasure of the walk in humidor, it will take away the desire to buy.

No info on the other points he makes but from what I understand, FWIW, those two issues are accurate.
Your mileage may vary but i started smoking cigars once a week with my brother. We used to stop at a B&M on Dupont Circle some 32 years ago when he was working for the Reagan administration as a Sovietologist.
I think he has some good contacts. And I trust his word.
But apparently it is nowhere near a done deal. Just talk and planning stage.

As many of you in the in the D.C. Area can attest, there are plenty of black limos and fat men in suits in Shelly's back room when session is just out for a break and guys stop for a smoke and a stiff drink before flying home.

At least there still was last time i knew.

Those guys who light up on the underground tram (Dems And Repubs alike. I have seen them smoking together) are not likely to let that crap happen.
Just my :2

insurgus
03-06-2014, 11:06 PM
Condoms, gold and bullets. What else do you put in them?

pnoon
03-07-2014, 12:32 AM
Haha, of course not! I happened to be looking at cigar obsession at the time and just linked the video.

And cigarobsession.com is an authoritative source? :rolleyes:

Dude Here
03-07-2014, 03:04 AM
And cigarobsession.com is an authoritative source? :rolleyes:

Huh?

No, and I never said it was. I just happened to have it open in another tab and saw that the FDA topic was brought up here. Cigar obsession had the Famous video on it so I just linked it since it was right there. If I broke any CA rules doing that then I apologize. I never claimed that anyone involved was an authoritative or completely accurate source.

OnePyroTec
03-07-2014, 03:22 AM
I donate all mine to the landfill transfer station now. I used to make clocks and also sell certain boxes on fleabay to fools who would pay the high prices for an empty box just to show their friends to make them think they had expensive cigars.

jonumberone
03-07-2014, 05:52 AM
I recycle.
After I empty a box, I go to the B&M and buy 20-25 singles and refill them.

mikesr1963
03-07-2014, 06:18 AM
Exactly. I know my representatives in government and I write/call/email or all three at least quarterly to voice my opinion on different issues. I've been actively doing this for about 20 years. Take a stand for your way of life and your freedoms because there is a fight to take many away. It's so easy to communicate with your elected officials and they listen because we are votes. We also have the ability today to voice our thoughts to thousands of people at the touch of a button.

Nope FDA. Check this out: http://cigarobsession.com/2014/03/03/a-message-from-famous-smoke-shop-regarding-cigars-and-the-fda/

If the regulations are passed without modifications you can kiss walk in humis, cigar box artwork and advertising good-bye. The FDA would be able to regulate the amount of nicotine within a cigar and new blends would have to be submitted for approval through the FDA, much like experimental drugs. Seriously scary stuff.

As for empty boxes, I use them to hold all sorts of odds and ends kind of stuff. They make for handy storage of pipe smoking accessories as well.

mikesr1963
03-07-2014, 06:26 AM
It's talk like this that puts people to sleep. The fat cats won't lose their smokes. They want votes and they will vote the way that keeps them in fat cat status. Either do your part or don't cry like a little b@#$% when cigars are taken way or forced to be altered so you end up smoking a paper cup.

Can't give all the details. But spoke with my brother who has many contacts having worked in a number of U.S. goverment departments despite now being on a 5 year assignment working for the U.N. In Rome. Likely enjoying a CC while we speak.

And, it seems that while the video is a little over the top, it is mostly accurate.

They would like to cover the boxes with U.S. Government supplied pictures of open coffins, skeletons, diseased persons etc.

And they definitely want to ban internet sales as well as not allowing access to B&M humi's. The feeling seems to be that if you take the pleasure out of the purchase, such as the excitement of winning an online auction or the sensual pleasure of the walk in humidor, it will take away the desire to buy.

No info on the other points he makes but from what I understand, FWIW, those two issues are accurate.
Your mileage may vary but i started smoking cigars once a week with my brother. We used to stop at a B&M on Dupont Circle some 32 years ago when he was working for the Reagan administration as a Sovietologist.
I think he has some good contacts. And I trust his word.
But apparently it is nowhere near a done deal. Just talk and planning stage.

As many of you in the in the D.C. Area can attest, there are plenty of black limos and fat men in suits in Shelly's back room when session is just out for a break and guys stop for a smoke and a stiff drink before flying home.

At least there still was last time i knew.

Those guys who light up on the underground tram (Dems And Repubs alike. I have seen them smoking together) are not likely to let that crap happen.
Just my :2

pnoon
03-07-2014, 06:28 AM
Huh?

No, and I never said it was. I just happened to have it open in another tab and saw that the FDA topic was brought up here. Cigar obsession had the Famous video on it so I just linked it since it was right there. If I broke any CA rules doing that then I apologize. I never claimed that anyone involved was an authoritative or completely accurate source.

Didn't mean to imply you did, Steve. ;s

It was more an editorial comment about bloggers

Dude Here
03-07-2014, 06:38 AM
Didn't mean to imply you did, Steve. ;s

It was more an editorial comment about bloggers

Gotcha, and I completely agree with you on that! I do enjoy Mr. Glynn's reviews though. Of course, considering that I've won some swag from his site before, makes me a little bias, lol.

icehog3
03-07-2014, 10:14 AM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/sky_zpsa66283ea.png (http://s196.photobucket.com/user/icehog3/media/sky_zpsa66283ea.png.html)

tsolomon
03-07-2014, 10:37 AM
I stack them up out in the garage like I'm going to do something with them and then toss them when I finally get around to cleaning the garage. The system has been working well so far. :2

CoffeeWaterBeer
03-07-2014, 11:23 AM
You can mod them in to PC speakers or a mini guitar amp. Havent done an amp yet, thats next on my list.

CigarNut
03-07-2014, 11:46 AM
In the past I have donated mine to the local schools to use for craft projects -- and yes they took them and used them :)

Now that my kids are out of elementary school I gave my last back of 30 or so boxes to a friend who used them for craft projects.

Remo
03-07-2014, 11:48 AM
I think CC's are safe as the FDA can't regulate them :lr

8zeros
03-07-2014, 06:26 PM
I stack them up out in the garage like I'm going to do something with them and then toss them when I finally get around to cleaning the garage. The system has been working well so far. :2
With me it's the basement. The garage collects other stuff.

mikesr1963
03-10-2014, 08:24 PM
I put my cigar ritual accessories in one.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9/MikeSr63/Cigars/1901742_769995149678939_1312661509_n_zps20246c99.j pg

stearns
03-12-2014, 08:27 AM
At the old shop we used to take the big boxes of matches, cut off the strikers and glue them to the lid of the more appealing cigar boxes, then empty the matches inside the box. that way a customer could open the box, grab a match, and strike on the lid. much more appealing than using an old beat up match box, and more cost effective than buying many smaller match boxes for them to use in the store :tu

8zeros
03-12-2014, 09:08 AM
It might be fun to try and build a computer into one.
Well, "fun" may not be the right word.

jjirons69
03-13-2014, 10:40 AM
At the old shop we used to take the big boxes of matches, cut off the strikers and glue them to the lid of the more appealing cigar boxes, then empty the matches inside the box. that way a customer could open the box, grab a match, and strike on the lid. much more appealing than using an old beat up match box, and more cost effective than buying many smaller match boxes for them to use in the store :tu

Cool idea!

Right now they're part of my ever-growing reason to be on "Hoarders".

WhiteMamba
03-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Condoms, gold and bullets. What else do you put in them?

:r:r:r
Best use on this thread.

naomi12
03-27-2014, 02:15 AM
I would like to keep them in my cabinet for decoration but everybody thinks that i am one hell of a smoker

Chris.
04-07-2014, 08:43 PM
I like the wall covering idea. I may try that with mine!

DMK
04-08-2014, 04:34 PM
I have plans to make some of these with my stack.
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j20/Volusianator/Lamps/LampOnTable.jpg

mk05
04-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Dan made a table out of them that I will try to replicate one of these days.

Chimneyfish
04-24-2014, 11:07 PM
absolutely love the empty boxes. i hoard things that are much less useful and uglier so that's really nothing. i love the look of some NC boxes, too. absolutely gorgeous, some of them

If anything, just ebay the whole lot of em :)

WhiteMamba
04-24-2014, 11:31 PM
Dan made a table out of them that I will try to replicate one of these days.

Any pics of the table?

mk05
04-25-2014, 12:24 AM
DBall made this out of box tops.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww254/dichotomyx/IMG_20130104_210636.jpg

BHalbrooks
04-25-2014, 12:29 AM
That looks great :tu

WhiteMamba
04-25-2014, 12:39 AM
That's pretty awesome. How did he make it, just glue tops onto an existing table?

mk05
04-25-2014, 05:26 AM
I think you sand them down, apply, and seal with epoxy. He is a member here "dball" - you could PM him, tell him I linked the pic.

Chimneyfish
04-25-2014, 07:35 PM
I think you sand them down, apply, and seal with epoxy. He is a member here "dball" - you could PM him, tell him I linked the pic.
weird..... some of them have stickers and some of them don't.
the ones that don't also are stainless....
Weird to see dress boxes made that way.

whoever PMs him, tell him to post it publically here!!! :noon

mk05
04-25-2014, 10:03 PM
Sorry, I don't understand what that means. I don't see any stainless steel tops without labels.

As for wood, I have a lot of nice empty boxes and books if anyone of you guys need.

Chimneyfish
04-25-2014, 10:08 PM
Sorry, I don't understand what that means. I don't see any stainless steel tops without labels.
no no, mate. not stainless steel! stainless as in: stainless - without a sticky mess!! sorry for the confusion there!

lukem
04-27-2014, 03:36 PM
When I was younger my friend's dad would give us his boxes to keep fly tying materials in. I don't have any more from those days but now that I'm into cigars I think I'll be using them for the same thing again once I start to get empties.