PDA

View Full Version : A specific aging question.

jhedrick83
02-17-2014, 06:57 PM
Ok guys, how many of you all who have boxes of cigars sleeping in your humidors have taken off the cello off and put the back in the box to rest? I don't want this to devolve into the worn out cello vs no. I was conflicted about posting it to start with since I hate seeing the same thread over and over. I just didn't know if since they are going to sleep for a while if it really makes a difference.

markem
02-17-2014, 06:58 PM
I know several who have and had great results. Seems to be less common than leaving them be, but no harm with leaving them on - unless they are wet.

icehog3
02-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Makes no difference, cello is porous. Leaving it on will prevent some of the damage cigars can get jostling them around. I'd leave it on, but it's personal preference.

bdgile
02-17-2014, 07:08 PM
I'll vote no. I know it probably doesn't make much of a difference, but I really like the protection that the cello provides.

AdamJoshua
02-17-2014, 07:08 PM
I leave them how they come to me, I figure the manufacturers know what they are doing.

kelmac07
02-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Like most have said, it's a personal preference. And if the manufacture shipped them that way, that's the way I leave 'em. Only thing I ever take off is the cedar. Have had some Anejos mold up under the cello and now I just don't take the chance. :2

JenksAnejo
02-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Like most have said, it's a personal preference. And if the manufacture shipped them that way, that's the way I leave 'em. Only thing I ever take off is the cedar. Have had some Anejos mold up under the cello and now I just don't take the chance.

Same here, Mac. The Anejo is the only cigar that I've smoked that had mold under the cedar.

Like others, leave them how the manufacturer sends them. :2

Sadden
02-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Heres what I do..

Singles/Fivers - Cello off and up into the singles drawer. I take the cello off of these so they can acclimate faster , as typically im sampling to see whats boxworthy.

Boxes - Cello on , too much of a PITA to take the cello of an entire box of cigars , I just open up the box , inspect for damage/mold and throw em in the pile , most boxes I get are restocking inventory so I wont get around to them for a few months to a few years , if its a new box to me and I want to smoke em soon I will take a couple up and out of the cello and throw them in the singles drawer.

One day I would like to do a comparative study examining oil loss with cello on vs off. The cello itself absorbs oils (yello cello anyone?) , but im curious as to which absorbs more , cello or wooden boxes. Obvious neither has any ill affects , but im curious to see if there is any discernible difference.

jhedrick83
02-17-2014, 07:26 PM
I figure it probably didn't matter, just wanted to see what others were doing as I only recently have built up a true aging stock. I usually strip the loose cigars but have just left the boxes alone out of sheer laziness.;)

stearns
02-17-2014, 07:27 PM
how do we get a "leave the cello on" smiley face? :confused:

bobarian
02-17-2014, 07:36 PM
I dont know, my cigars dont come in cello. :sh

jhedrick83
02-17-2014, 07:42 PM

;)

icehog3
02-17-2014, 07:59 PM

Mine come in tampon tubes.

T.G
02-17-2014, 08:00 PM

So, tampon on or tampon off?

icehog3
02-17-2014, 08:05 PM
So, tampon on or tampon off?

Tampon in.

Sadden
02-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Tampon in.

Everytime , no matter what?

Period?

:hy

icehog3
02-17-2014, 11:14 PM
Everytime , no matter what?

Period?

:hy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lXdyD2Yzls

jhedrick83
02-18-2014, 06:12 AM

http://whatstrending.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/34_politics002-drew-angerer-edited-580.jpg

alfredo_buscatti
02-19-2014, 04:17 AM
Cello on for protection but cut off flush with the head or foot to allow more O2 contact.

68TriShield
02-19-2014, 06:58 AM
Makes no difference, cello is porous. Leaving it on will prevent some of the damage cigars can get jostling them around. I'd leave it on, but it's personal preference.

Yep,I leave them as they came.

Gogi73
02-19-2014, 08:30 AM
I think its fine to leave the cello on, but I don't think something will happen if you strip it and leave the sticks in the humidor without touching them prior to smoking.

8zeros
02-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Yep,I leave them as they came.
This is what I do.
I think the cellophane question is the first thing I internet searched for about cigar care. That led to a lot of reading. A long time ago.
But I have never found out what the perfect temperature and humidity is for cello vs uncello cigars. NC or CC. Whether to leave them in the glass top box or switch them to the desktop humidor.

shilala
02-19-2014, 10:31 AM
I leave them as they came. Cello breathes. It lets the smokes get ready nice and slow.
I don't leave boxes open if they don't have cello.
I used to like to take cigars out of the cello to move them along faster. Then I figured out that if I got another box of the same sticks, the second box would be getting ready while I was smoking the first one.
Then I ended up with way too many cigars.

badbriar
02-19-2014, 11:25 AM
http://whatstrending.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/34_politics002-drew-angerer-edited-580.jpg

Wait - that's Clinton...wasn't his thing 'Cigar In' ???
:lr :lr :lr

Sadden
02-19-2014, 04:24 PM
No out. Thats how he got in trouble remember? His was unwrapped

dave
03-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Ok guys, ..... cello off and put the back in the box to rest? .....I don't want this to devolve into the worn out cello vs no. ........ I hate seeing the same thread over and over........

Huh?????

AdamJoshua
03-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Huh?????

It's very simple dave, he will open the box, take each stick out of the cello, then place the sticks carefully back in the box. In the future will leave them how they were shipped to me and put them in my precious .. I mean my Aristocrat.

dave
03-10-2014, 12:10 PM
That clears things up. Thanks, Adam. What sort of cello-ed sticks are we aging nowadays? I admit that I have a few, but they were almost always mistakes that I didn't buy again. I've found that generally, I regret having bought NC cigars that needed rest. Certainly, there haven't been any that recall that I would have agonized over whether taking cello off might help.

RevSmoke
03-10-2014, 12:26 PM
It doesn't matter to the aging process, at least from my experience. However, I leave them on for 2 reasons:
1) I am too lazy to take them off.
2) It does give the cigars some protection in the eventual jostling that takes place when you play box tetris.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Todd

icehog3
03-10-2014, 01:18 PM

Where have I heard this before?

mk05
03-10-2014, 01:52 PM
No no no! You guys are missing the point. First it was hard wax on cheese, now it's cellophane and cedar covers on cigars. God help us. It's complicated things like cellophane and cedar wraps that confuse even the most scholarly and erudite among us into propagating the misconception that packaging can be consumed as well. Cello off please.

http://i.imgur.com/oH7c5DA.jpg

Just a joke...

AdamJoshua
03-10-2014, 02:01 PM
LOL that's some hard core shizznit here, balla be smokin.

I do find I get an uneven burn on the cello and quite a bit of shrinkage, but then there's still plenty left over. :D

jhedrick83
03-10-2014, 02:54 PM
It's very simple dave, he will open the box, take each stick out of the cello, then place the sticks carefully back in the box. In the future will leave them how they were shipped to me and put them in my precious .. I mean my Aristocrat.

:r

jhedrick83
03-10-2014, 02:56 PM
LOL that's some hard core shizznit here, balla be smokin.

I do find I get an uneven burn on the cello and quite a bit of shrinkage, but then there's still plenty left over. :D

I thought you were supposed to light the end of the cello to light the cigar? Kinda like the tapered end of a Perfecto. :rolleyes: