PDA

View Full Version : ARGH...Murphy stikes!

Steve
02-14-2014, 07:58 AM
My "new" Dell computer at the house decided to crash last night. Of course the 1 year service warrenty expired on Feb. 8th. Par for the course!

:bhd:bhd:bhd:bhd

Remo
02-14-2014, 08:02 AM
That sucks Steve!! Murphy is a b!tch :sl

equetefue
02-14-2014, 08:03 AM
sorry to hear Steve. Did you lose the hard drive? or is the computer not booting up. I'm praying is the power supply that failed.

Blueface
02-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Murphy sure sucks, specially when he hogs up the ice, not once, not twice but 3 x's.

maninblack
02-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Haha. I was thinking this was a bomb thread about our member Murphyslaw. Oops.

bruceolee
02-14-2014, 08:13 AM
This is why I left PC's and went to Mac's. Nothing against PC's, I just got sick of the constant spyware, malware, Viruses, and crashes. Since going mac 2 years ago, not a single issue. :)

Sorry man! I hope you get it fixed and back in working order. I know how bad this sucks.

equetefue
02-14-2014, 08:18 AM
Jason is right. I personally haven't gone that route yet, but I built and setup a server in my house which backups every computers I have every night.

Steve
02-14-2014, 08:20 AM
sorry to hear Steve. Did you lose the hard drive? or is the computer not booting up. I'm praying is the power supply that failed.

I'm afraid it's the hard drive. It locked up on me last night while burning a dvd. When I finally got it to reboot, the Dell diagnostic tool came up, then it told me it was "repairing" the drive, then that the drive could not be repaired.

Doom on me.

icehog3
02-14-2014, 08:39 AM
Murphy sure sucks, specially when he hogs up the ice, not once, not twice but 3 x's.

Simmer down now. :)

CigarNut
02-14-2014, 08:48 AM
It might still be recoverable/repairable -- at least enough to save your important data (p**n, etc. :)). I would suggest taking it into a local repair place. In some areas the Best Buy Geek Squad is pretty good -- you might check them out. Otherwise, I would get recommendations from friends/co-workers on a good computer repair place.

Blueface
02-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Simmer down now. :)

:lr

Remo
02-14-2014, 09:10 AM
It might still be recoverable/repairable -- at least enough to save your important data (p**n, etc. :)).

:banger:banger Save the important stuff!

Steve
02-14-2014, 09:18 AM
I actually did a backup of my data (music, documents, etc.) a week or so ago. What's going to be a pain is finding the program installation files for Office, Nero, etc., not to mention the original install of Windows Hate. and the drivers for my video card, etc...

equetefue
02-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Im telling you p**n kills PCs

:r:r:r

MurphysLaw
02-14-2014, 09:24 AM
I thought I was sleep bombing...hope you get everything restored bud!

Steve
02-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Of course I never "got around" to creating a recovery disk of the original install image.

:bhd:bhd

bruceolee
02-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Jason is right. I personally haven't gone that route yet, but I built and setup a server in my house which backups every computers I have every night.

I'm the semi-computer literate person at my job and even today my coworkers still bring in their computers to me LOADED with spyware and viruses asking me to fix it for them. My first response is always "buy a mac" and my second piece of advice is buy external hard drives and set up an automated backup system. I've had to play the role of "doctor" to them delivering the fatal news of "it's all gone" and "I did everything i knew how to do"

I convinced my parents to go mac despite their protests and having to learn a new system and once they started learning they've fallen in love with it. There's not a huge difference between them other than you don't get too many viruses on them just due to the fact that they don't make a lot of viruses on macs and when one is released it's practically national news and within a day there's a patch for it. All I can really say is I'm happy with what i've got but there are ways to prevent them on PC's but backing up is the smartest first step.

Blueface
02-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Jason, one word:
Time Machine

Well, one word if you say it really fast.:D

Steve
02-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Fortunately I have "most" of the data files backed up. The last backup was a couple of weeks ago, so not that much lost. It looks like somehow the partition got jacked up. I was not able to just restore (which would have left my data) but am in the process of resetting it back to the out of the box condition from a year ago. At least I won't have to go looking for drivers, etc. Just the registration codes for Office, Nero, etc.

I love computers!

Hey, I bet those pesky SUn Spots caused by Global Warming did this too me...:noon:noon

Steve
02-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Also, somehow this happened 2 days BEFORE my warranty expired. How did that ever happen???

Steve
02-14-2014, 01:41 PM
Two and a half hours in and I am 44% reset...gonna be a long night!

bighairlogo
02-14-2014, 02:35 PM
I'm the semi-computer literate person at my job and even today my coworkers still bring in their computers to me LOADED with spyware and viruses asking me to fix it for them. My first response is always "buy a mac" and my second piece of advice is buy external hard drives and set up an automated backup system. I've had to play the role of "doctor" to them delivering the fatal news of "it's all gone" and "I did everything i knew how to do"

I convinced my parents to go mac despite their protests and having to learn a new system and once they started learning they've fallen in love with it. There's not a huge difference between them other than you don't get too many viruses on them just due to the fact that they don't make a lot of viruses on macs and when one is released it's practically national news and within a day there's a patch for it. All I can really say is I'm happy with what i've got but there are ways to prevent them on PC's but backing up is the smartest first step.

Macs can very easily get Malware, Viruses not really.

MrClean
02-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Good luck Steve. I know I hate spending money on drives that I consider to be just 'sitting there', but getting a sizable external drive and creating an image and backing it up really is a must if you keep any pictures or documents that are not replaceable.

Steve
02-14-2014, 04:49 PM
I have a WInBook external that I use for backing up, but it's older and only a 500meg or so. Tomorrow I'll be shopping for a new one with a couple of terrabytes.