PDA

View Full Version : Okay, lovers of the LEAF, step right up...

mikesr1963
02-09-2014, 09:07 AM
...and tell us all your favorite or the most enjoyable smoke in the categories of (minimum ring size 43):

1. Mild Smoke

2. Medium Smoke

3. Full Smoke

:banger:noon:-(P-(P

Porch Dweller
02-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Mild's an easy pick for me, Carlos Torano Reserva Selecta Robusto.

The other two are tough because they change often. Today I'd say Herrera Esteli Short Corona and Liga Privada T52 Robusto. Ask again six months from now and the answer will probably be different.

Sadden
02-09-2014, 10:09 AM
1) Mi Dominicana Lancero

2) Padron Thousand Series Lancero (natural)

3) Cain F Lancero

That was easy

kelmac07
02-09-2014, 11:38 AM
This week...

1. Mild Smoke: El Rey De Mundo Maduro Robusto Grande
2. Medium Smoke: 601 Blue Maduro
3. Full Smoke: DPG Series JJ Maduro Belicoso

timj219
02-09-2014, 12:06 PM
Mild - Cabaiguan corona extra
Med - Oliva O
Full - Kristoff GC Signature

At least some of these will be different if you ask again in a few months

RobR1205
02-09-2014, 02:52 PM
I like this question! Going through my big book of cigar bands and reviews, here's what my current list is:

Non-Cubans:
Mild: Cabaiguan Belicoso Fino, Davidoff 3000
Medium: Padron 2000 Maduro, Tatuaje Havana VI Robusto, Tatuaje "The Mummy"
Full: La Aurora Preferidos Maduro, JdN Antaño Robusto, Arturo Fuente Don Carlos No. 4

Cubans:
Mild: Quai Dorsi Coronas
Medium: Cohiba Panatela
Full: Montecristo No. 2

RevSmoke
02-09-2014, 03:14 PM
1. Mild Smoke. - Paul Garmirian Bombones

2. Medium Smoke - Oliva V (any size, love them all)

3. Full Smoke - Coronado by Litto Gomez

Frank-D-Tank
02-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Mild: Oliva Connecticut

Med: Herrera Estelli Toro

Full: This is the tough one...I'm going with the Fuente Anejo for now. Probably have a different answer next time you ask me, lots of good ones in this category.

RobR1205
02-09-2014, 04:17 PM
This is the tough one...I'm going with the Fuente Anejo for now. Probably have a different answer next time you ask me, lots of good ones in this category.

I'm in the same boat, brother. Also, I just realized what your user name was and couldn't help but think of, "We're going streaking!" :r:r

T.G
02-09-2014, 06:40 PM
Can't. They're all 42RG.

:sad

Robulous78
02-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Light - Perdomo Champagne Natural

Medium- Lately, Camacho triple maduros, La Duenas

Heavy- Fausto, or Sosa Classic Maduro

44stampede
02-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Light - So many but QdO Imperiales or Epi 2 (mild- med) stand out

Medium- Monte GE

Heavy- Not a fan.

bobarian
02-09-2014, 10:20 PM
Light-PLPC, QdO Corona

Medium-HUpmann #2, ERDM Choix Supreme

Heavy-RyJ Cazadores

icehog3
02-09-2014, 10:21 PM
Can't. They're all 42RG.

:sad

Yup...skipping scores of wonderful cigars with a RG restriction. :2

TFed
02-09-2014, 10:36 PM
1. Vega Fina Sumum

2. Onyx Mini Belicoso

3. La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5 Maduro Robusto

kcdeadmoney
02-10-2014, 12:21 AM
1. Perla del Mar Connecticut
2. San Lotano Maduro
3. CAO MX2

MUNKY
02-10-2014, 06:42 AM
As of late

1. opus x power ranger

2. davidoff nicaragua

3. uf-13

VirtualSmitty
02-10-2014, 07:29 AM
Why is the word leaf in capital letters in the thread title? What else would we be lovers of in a cigar discussion forum?

And I have nothing to add, all my favorites are around 40 RG. I don't get whats so appealing about big RG cigars these days, it makes me wonder at times.

tsolomon
02-10-2014, 08:19 AM
I don't know if I even think about mild, medium and full anymore. My tendency now is to go with what I fell like smoking at the time.

NC
Four Kicks Robusto
Cabaiguan Coronas Extra
Illusione CG 4

CC
Por Larrañaga Petit Coronas
Cohiba Siglo IV
Partagas Serie D No. 4

dvickery
02-10-2014, 09:55 AM
notice a common theme in the answers ??? non of the old guys smoke " (minimum ring size 43) " .

43rg or larger eliminates 95% of my stash ... of the remaining 5% havent opened up any for (at least ) 10 years or so .

derrek

czerbe
02-10-2014, 09:56 AM
1. EPCNW

2. FourKicks

3. Oliva V Lanc.

mikesr1963
02-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Feel free to start a thread for 42 ring size or smaller cigars. I, personally, don't like the smaller ring sizes. My favorite range is 43 to 52 and I'm looking for suggestions to try. ;s Yup...skipping scores of wonderful cigars with a RG restriction. :2

mikesr1963
02-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Well, let's see. The word LEAF is in capital letters because I pushed the little button on my keyboard with the word "shift" on it. Would also be in the sense where one is addressing a brotherhood.

Next, please, feel free to start a thread about 40 RG or smaller if you are in fact interested in reading about what others smoke in that RG. The reason you don't get what's so appealing about larger RGs is because you favor the 40 RG and that's perfectly okay. Just don't rain on my day by doing so. It's not proper etiquette. :sl Why is the word leaf in capital letters in the thread title? What else would we be lovers of in a cigar discussion forum?

And I have nothing to add, all my favorites are around 40 RG. I don't get whats so appealing about big RG cigars these days, it makes me wonder at times.

RobR1205
02-10-2014, 04:48 PM
I, personally, don't like the smaller ring sizes. My favorite range is 43 to 52 and I'm looking for suggestions to try. ;s

Out of pure curiosity, how long you been smoking cigars for, brother? I too, usually prefer the larger formats, but do love a good Panatela or Lancero on occasion. Just wondering because my taste and liking for different ring gauges has changed a lot since starting. Not sure if yours has too. :tu

icehog3
02-10-2014, 04:57 PM
Feel free to start a thread for 42 ring size or smaller cigars.

I appreciate your permission, but I don't need other people to choose my cigars for me. :)

8zeros
02-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Light-PLPC, QdO Corona

Medium-HUpmann #2, ERDM Choix Supreme

Heavy-RyJ Cazadores
I was just reading this thread to figure out what y'all think is light-medium-heavy.
That list there I can relate to. Maybe put a Bolivar Belicosa in the middle instead.
I'm having a hard time remembering non-cubans:
Light- Not fond of these
Medium- AF Hemmingway
Heavy- San Cristobal

VirtualSmitty
02-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Well, let's see. The word LEAF is in capital letters because I pushed the little button on my keyboard with the word "shift" on it. Would also be in the sense where one is addressing a brotherhood.

We have an acronym for that, botl/sptl

Next, please, feel free to start a thread about 40 RG or smaller if you are in fact interested in reading about what others smoke in that RG. The reason you don't get what's so appealing about larger RGs is because you favor the 40 RG and that's perfectly okay. Just don't rain on my day by doing so. It's not proper etiquette. :sl

It's a rook mistake to limit yourself based on RG. Notice quite a few old timers favor smaller RGs, there may be a reason for that :tf

markem
02-10-2014, 07:04 PM

When using a trademark, it is customary to make a notation. In your case, to be fully correct you should have used: Nissan LEAF®

Arbitrary distinctions are, well, arbitrary. Don't be surprised to find a WTF on a cigar board where you are the babe in the woods (or so you demonstrate).

But I mean that in the nicest possible, large RG*, way.

*: "Ring Gauge" not "Rafael Gonzales"

jjirons69
02-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Light - PLPC

Medium - ERdM Choix Supreme

Heavy - Boli RC

mikesr1963
02-11-2014, 06:11 AM
I was smoking cigars 10 years before you were born. I quit smoking and alcohol consumption at 23 when my first son was born so as not to influence him. At 50, the only thing I'm a rookie on is wanting to be an on line cigar expert, pretend aficionado. I'm not pretending, I like what I like and only ask about what I like. If you feel the need to pretend to be an expert, well, then I guess your doing it.
We have an acronym for that, botl/sptl

It's a rook mistake to limit yourself based on RG. Notice quite a few old timers favor smaller RGs, there may be a reason for that :tf

mikesr1963
02-11-2014, 06:19 AM
Understand I'm not here to impress anyone or the learn on line acronym banter. I'm an individual, and while my distinctions are arbitrary, I'm not striving to be a stuck up snob. Take away the post count and the cigar lingo post, that most hear refer to, and you would find a world of pretenders. It's either fun, or it isn't. When using a trademark, it is customary to make a notation. In your case, to be fully correct you should have used: Nissan LEAF®

Arbitrary distinctions are, well, arbitrary. Don't be surprised to find a WTF on a cigar board where you are the babe in the woods (or so you demonstrate).

But I mean that in the nicest possible, large RG*, way.

*: "Ring Gauge" not "Rafael Gonzales"

Blueface
02-11-2014, 06:27 AM
Dude, lighten up.
If you are over 50 as I am, you know there are more important things to take way more seriously.
You chose to get snippy and tell the wrong person to go start his own thread.

BTW, take away my post count, it doesn't change who I am and what I have experienced. Won't make me a pretender.

pektel
02-11-2014, 06:31 AM
http://youtu.be/FONN-0uoTHI

I'm not an "old timer," but I agree with their preference for 33-42rg. To me, I'm more aware and appreciative of the cigar while smoking. It takes a skilled roller to blend so few leaves, and an even better one to roll it without having draw issues. It's an appreciation of mastery of the craft, combined with great tobacco (I could be wrong on this, but I've read/heard that the larger rg cigars use more bland filler leaves to get to a certain rg) that makes me enjoy the smaller RG's. Not to say I won't smoke a larger RG than 42, but I don't reach for them much. There's just something "right" about a mareva. :tu

Mild- LGC MdO 3 and 4
Med- CCE, PLPC, Sig II
Full- Tat Black PL or Viaje S&B Mystery

pnoon
02-11-2014, 06:37 AM
I have to agree with, Carlos.

To some extent, in order to become a part of an online community, you DO need to learn the acronyms and attempt to conform to the culture of the community. That is not to say you give up your individuality.

No one here is striving to be a stuck up snob. But I can tell you that if that is what you already believe about our community, you are dead wrong. Trust me. There are many other cigar boards out there. Cop an attitude with established members - they would be all over you like white on rice.

Relax. Take a deep breath. And understand that while you may have been smoking before some were born, you can still learn much here. We all do. Every day.

markem
02-11-2014, 08:53 AM
No one here is striving to be a stuck up snob.

I am.

I'm trying to learn from our most learned new friend all about cigars and how to be condescending and/or snobbish - as he so aptly demonstrates to us all. I'm trying to bask in the glow of the aura that is his beneficence created by his willingness to help those so far beneath his worthy notice. I strive to be as he himself has demonstrated - the high brow snob who merely likes what he likes and is able to ridicule those who are different (dare we say "lesser"?) with aplomb and equanimity.

That he gave up smoking and drinking at 23 shows the lengths to which he is willing to go to train his palette to become the amazing fount of knowledge that we see, here before us, today. That he is older than me, I do not doubt, as his amazing vocabulary and witty repartee denote, a wisdom far beyond that of the ordinary mortal.

I have found my new hero - him that I aspire to be. I am humbled at his greatness and beaten senseless by his snippets of profundity cast, as it were, upon the shores of this desolate goat-filled island that is Cigar Asylum.

Or it could be that his irony meter is out of whack, but what do I know, I just started smoking cigars in January.

CigarNut
02-11-2014, 09:51 AM
I am.

I'm trying to learn from our most learned new friend all about cigars and how to be condescending and/or snobbish - as he so aptly demonstrates to us all. I'm trying to bask in the glow of the aura that is his beneficence created by his willingness to help those so far beneath his worthy notice. I strive to be as he himself has demonstrated - the high brow snob who merely likes what he likes and is able to ridicule those who are different (dare we say "lesser"?) with aplomb and equanimity.

That he gave up smoking and drinking at 23 shows the lengths to which he is willing to go to train his palette to become the amazing fount of knowledge that we see, here before us, today. That he is older than me, I do not doubt, as his amazing vocabulary and witty repartee denote, a wisdom far beyond that of the ordinary mortal.

I have found my new hero - him that I aspire to be. I am humbled at his greatness and beaten senseless by his snippets of profundity cast, as it were, upon the shores of this desolate goat-filled island that is Cigar Asylum.

Or it could be that his irony meter is out of whack, but what do I know, I just started smoking cigars in January.

What year? :)

markem
02-11-2014, 10:04 AM
What year? :)

1976. But I didn't start smoking non Cubans until the 90s, so that puts me behind.

replicant_argent
02-11-2014, 10:42 AM
1876. But I didn't start smoking non Cubans until the 90s, so that puts me behind.
Jeez, Mr. Wilson, that sure is a looooong time.

mikesr1963
02-11-2014, 11:08 AM
I discovered when I quit smoking at 23 that smoking dulls the taste buds a great deal. Since I've picked cigars back up I am not going to smoke so often as to let that happen again. I'm staying away from anything that may be a quick smoke and could turn into a more often smoke. I smoked cigars for 7 years before I stopped at 23. I was in the military at 19 and got to enjoy a good variety of smokes. I love tasting a cigar with a clean palate. Out of pure curiosity, how long you been smoking cigars for, brother? I too, usually prefer the larger formats, but do love a good Panatela or Lancero on occasion. Just wondering because my taste and liking for different ring gauges has changed a lot since starting. Not sure if yours has too. :tu

AdamJoshua
02-11-2014, 11:13 AM
I discovered when I quit smoking at 23 that smoking dulls the taste buds a great deal. Since I've picked cigars back up I am not going to smoke so often as to let that happen again. I'm staying away from anything that may be a quick smoke and could turn into a more often smoke. I smoked cigars for 7 years before I stopped at 23. I was in the military at 19 and got to enjoy a good variety of smokes. I love tasting a cigar with a clean palate.

I haven't been smoking long at all and have the pallet of a billy goat, but I often find smaller sticks have more pronounced flavors, I also would rather smoke a couple smaller cigars and mix it up rather than one 2 hour cigar, again I am truly a noob and my tastes might change as well, but so far that's what I have found, ok besides that Behike 56 the other night that was really outstanding.

Hippi3Slay3r
02-11-2014, 12:02 PM
CC
Mild - LGC MdO#3
Med - PLPC
Full - Boli BF

NC
Mild - 5Vegas Gold Maduro
Med - Cubao natural corona
Full - Curivari Cafe petit

icehog3
02-11-2014, 02:28 PM
I discovered when I quit smoking at 23 that smoking dulls the taste buds a great deal. Since I've picked cigars back up I am not going to smoke so often as to let that happen again. I'm staying away from anything that may be a quick smoke and could turn into a more often smoke. I smoked cigars for 7 years before I stopped at 23. I was in the military at 19 and got to enjoy a good variety of smokes. I love tasting a cigar with a clean palate.

Smoked slowly, a corona or PC can last 40 or more minutes, and like Adam said, you might find some flavors that are more pronounced in the smaller format. I can understand you noty wanting it to be similar to someone with cigarettes, but you can make that happen with smaller format cigars. Do you find yourself to be a "fast smoker"?

Zanaspus
02-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Smoked slowly, a corona or PC can last 40 or more minutes, and like Adam said, you might find some flavors that are more pronounced in the smaller format. I can understand you noty wanting it to be similar to someone with cigarettes, but you can make that happen with smaller format cigars. Do you find yourself to be a "fast smoker"?

Heck, I can nurse a TPC out to 40 minutes. ;)

mikesr1963
02-14-2014, 07:20 AM
I actually have kind of picky pace (OCD even). I don't want it to burn to hot and I don't want the cherry to get so low as to take to many starter puffs to get my preferred burn. I'm comfortable in the RG of 43 to 52. Before or after my hiatus I didn't/don't smoke a cigar down beyond or much beyond half way in lengths from 5 1/2 to 7 inches. That's the flavor range and pace I prefer that gives me much joy.:po Smoked slowly, a corona or PC can last 40 or more minutes, and like Adam said, you might find some flavors that are more pronounced in the smaller format. I can understand you noty wanting it to be similar to someone with cigarettes, but you can make that happen with smaller format cigars. Do you find yourself to be a "fast smoker"?

Blueface
02-14-2014, 07:24 AM
That's the great thing about cigars.
So many to choose from.
So many ways to smoke/enjoy them.
All perfectly OK as totally personal.
The main thing is the relaxation they bring.

In 25 years or so, I have evolved so much and gone through repeated stages of varying ring preference. While I enjoy them all, I do find myself going for robustos and toros more often than not.