PDA

View Full Version : RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

markem
02-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Took me a while to appreciate his work, but he was a fine actor.

Rest in Peace.

Remo
02-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Crazy, what happened?

markem
02-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Found dead in his apartment. Investigation is just starting.

kelmac07
02-02-2014, 11:48 AM
R.I.P Mr. Hoffman.

the jiggler
02-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Wow. Fantastic actor.

aaron72
02-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Initial reports are drug overdose. Needle found in his arm.

ChicagoWhiteSox
02-02-2014, 12:00 PM
One of my favorites.. RIP

14holestogie
02-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Wow. Sorry to hear. One of those rare actors that actually had you believe he was who he was portraying. RIP.

CigarNut
02-02-2014, 12:31 PM
I remember seeing him as a young actor in "Boogie Nights" and watching his career evolve over the years. He was a great actor and he will be missed.

May He Rest In Peace.

markem
02-02-2014, 12:34 PM
I remember seeing him as a young actor in "Boogie Nights" and watching his career evolve over the years. He was a great actor and he will be missed.

Boogie Nights and Scent of a Woman had me doubting his abilities, but he has long since put those to rest.

massphatness
02-02-2014, 12:34 PM
What a shame. Very talented, and obviously just as tormented.

BeerAdvocate
02-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Another great actor dies of a drug overdose!

The Poet
02-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Wow, what a loss. I don't know what to say, except to wish he finds more peace now than he seemed to find in life.

The Poet
02-02-2014, 01:29 PM
What a shame. Very talented, and obviously just as tormented.

:tpd: That about says it all. Rest in peace.

hotreds
02-02-2014, 01:50 PM
tragic indeed!

Remo
02-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Don't do drugs kids.

The Poet
02-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Don't do drugs kids.

Easily said, not so easily done. Ignore the whole nature/nurture issue regarding addictive personalities, and simply consider this: We are all born high, both from the epidurals administered by doctors and the naturally-occurring production of oxytocin, adrenaline and beta-endorphin by the mother during labor. This fact alone should move people to a more sympathetic view of those who become victims to such failings later in life.

That being said, it's still good advise to avoid pernicious addiction. And no, I'm not typing this high, lest you're counting caffeine and nicotine.

Gabe215
02-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Who can forget Patch Adams

Remo
02-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Easily said, not so easily done. Ignore the whole nature/nurture issue regarding addictive personalities, and simply consider this: We are all born high, both from the epidurals administered by doctors and the naturally-occurring production of oxytocin, adrenaline and beta-endorphin by the mother during labor. This fact alone should move people to a more sympathetic view of those who become victims to such failings later in life.

That being said, it's still good advise to avoid pernicious addiction. And no, I'm not typing this high, lest you're counting caffeine and nicotine.

He made millions of dollars, get clean, live your life and raise your 3 kids!

icehog3
02-02-2014, 03:31 PM
So many great performances, that's a shame. Gone too soon.

Gabe215
02-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Oh and was funny as hell in Along came Polly

bruceolee
02-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Addiction is a hard thing to manage. I know because my brother is an addict. You can get clean but you're never free. The man was clean for 23 years before falling into his addiction cycle after a surgery where his MD gave him pills which led to his snorting heroin in 2012. After a stint in rehab he was clean for about a year and checked in to rehab in May of 2013. Sadly this time it killed him. He can't be blamed for his lack of trying but i have to say for a wealthy actor, living in NY was probably not a good choice for him. Too much temptation everywhere. No matter what he was a great actor and developing talent as a director. This isn't a sad day for us or him today. it's a sad day for his 3 children who now have no father and for his remaining family. He will be missed.

The Poet
02-02-2014, 05:02 PM
He made millions of dollars, get clean, live your life and raise your 3 kids!

I'm sorry, I guess it is as easily done as said. Forgive me.

Remo
02-02-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm sorry, I guess it is as easily done as said. Forgive me.

Phillip Hoffman is not worth an argument about the evils of Heroin use. We can agree to disagree on whether it is a tragedy or not. Not like some unexpected traffic accident or some other uncontrolled demise befell him.

OLS
02-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Boogie Nights and Scent of a Woman had me doubting his abilities, but he has long since put those to rest.

WHAT? haha, the role he played in Boogie Nights was SO difficult to play and he killed it.
The role that had me doubting him, and probably why he was doping up (if he was) was that turd in the second
Hunger Games.

The Poet
02-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Phillip Hoffman is not worth an argument about the evils of Heroin use. We can agree to disagree on whether it is a tragedy or not. Not like some unexpected traffic accident or some other uncontrolled demise befell him.

Brother, I didn't think we were arguing, and certainly on none of the points you mention. All I was saying is that kicking any bad habit is hard, and kicking an addiction, for drugs, gambling, sex, alcohol, whatever, is even harder.

Have you a habit you'd like to kick? OK, do it . . . now. And good luck with that.

Gabe215
02-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Heroin addiction is one of the hardest things a human can overcome! I don't mind airing my dirty laundry because my past is almost 5 years behind me. I grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs in an upper middle class (very loving) family private schools, parents never divorced, was never molested or any traumatic events happened to me. But at age 17 I found heroin (easier to buy in Philly than cigarettes in most neighborhoods) and said to myself I want to feel like this every day for the rest of my life. Which I tried to do. From age 18-23 I've been in countless hospitals, rehabs, detoxes, jails and even overdoses. At age 23 I got clean found out I was having a daughter. I now have full custody of my daughter (she'll be 4 next month) bought a house in the suburbs, and got engaged to beautiful woman on Xmas (not my daughters mom), will have 5 years clean off narcotics May 12th, I recently started having a glass or 2 of red wine here and there. Addiction is a reality people make bad decisions especially people with a bad disposition, my heart goes out to Jason and his parents, I've buried more of my friends than I ever thought I would. It is a tragedy and one of my proudest achievements, that I show up every day for my daughter and my parents who are snow birds give me the key to their house in PA while they're gone to feed the plants and check on the place! That's my 2 cents!

The Poet
02-02-2014, 08:02 PM
Thank you for your honesty Gabe, and best of luck keeping strong.