PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones Season 4 thread

bruceolee
01-29-2014, 04:32 PM
So, 4/6/14 is the premiere date. I cannot wait for this season. What's so awesome is I've read these books and I still love this show even knowing everything that will happen this year. This is one of HBO's strongest series since the Sopranos.

Season 4 will be based on the second half of A storm of swords. A storm of swords is considered the best book in the series so far. Season 1 was book 1, Season 2 was book 2, and Season 3 was the first half of SOS so now we'll continue on with finishing book 3 this season. I'm excited to see how they tell the story but also I'm excited for those that haven't read the books and what they'll see this year. Also seeing Emilia Clarke nude again doesn't hurt either (I like my women a little curvy) Can't wait for this to start and also for the sake of those who haven't read the books let's keep the spoilers to a minimum please. :)

If you're interested in reading the books and don't have time I'd recommend the audiobooks (amazon or iTunes) Roy Dotrice does the best work i've ever heard and are flat out the best audiobooks on the market. Just put them in your CD player in your car and enjoy them on the way to and from work. I've found self on more than one occasion getting home from work and staying in the car an additional 30 minutes because I was too gripped by the story. This happened especially with the red wedding :)

blugill
02-01-2014, 05:54 AM
I'm just hoping that Martin gets the next two books written soon or HBO will have a problem!

irratebass
02-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Can't wait for the new season

Porch Dweller
02-01-2014, 07:12 AM
I'm midway through the second book while waiting for Season 3 to come out on DVD so I can catch up with the show.

Chainsaw13
02-01-2014, 08:16 AM
I'm just hoping that Martin gets the next two books written soon or HBO will have a problem!

Nope, there's so much in books 4/5 that they can easily get another 4 seasons out of them. But I can see your point with the time it takes Martin to get the next book out.

I'm rereading the books. Catching a lot of stuff I missed on the first go around.

bruceolee
02-01-2014, 04:05 PM

The next book is due out this year (yeah i know last year we were supposed to have it) but the writers have already been told how Martin plans to end the series as a just in case scenario that Martin dies before finishing them. The writers have also said the series shouldn't go past 8 seasons but there have been rumblings that a movie may end the entire series after the TV part of the series is finished. Either way I can't wait! Peter Dinklage is the man! :)

bruceolee
02-01-2014, 04:09 PM

Also I'm more concerned with Roy Dotrice passing more than I am Martin. His Character work in the audiobooks is legendary and I can't imagine anyone else bringing those characters to life than him.

cricky101
02-01-2014, 04:37 PM
I watched the first two seasons and then started the books. I'm almost through book 3 so i think I'm just a little bit past what's been shown on hbo. This book has been so intense! It's a great series.

bruceolee
02-01-2014, 05:18 PM
I watched the first two seasons and then started the books. I'm almost through book 3 so i think I'm just a little bit past what's been shown on hbo. This book has been so intense! It's a great series.

Book 3 (a storm of swords) is by far my favorite. Especially after the red wedding things go full speed. Book 4 & 5 take a slower "story building" pace. Book 5 picks up towards the end so I'm hoping that follows into book 6 which we've been promised more battles and more on life in the north which makes me VERY happy. :)

Chainsaw13
02-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Book 3 (a storm of swords) is by far my favorite. Especially after the red wedding things go full speed. Book 4 & 5 take a slower "story building" pace. Book 5 picks up towards the end so I'm hoping that follows into book 6 which we've been promised more battles and more on life in the north which makes me VERY happy. :)

Couldn't agree more.

cricky101
02-01-2014, 07:19 PM

Dont want to let out any spoilers, but one of the events in book 3 shortly after the red wedding was one of the saddest things I've ever read in a story. Usually that stuff doesnt get to me, but that sequence did for sure.

bruceolee
02-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Dont want to let out any spoilers, but one of the events in book 3 shortly after the red wedding was one of the saddest things I've ever read in a story. Usually that stuff doesnt get to me, but that sequence did for sure.

I know how you feel. During the red wedding I was driving home after work listening to it on audiobook and I was actually yelling and beating my steering wheel. It probably looked pretty funny to anybody watching me. Book 3 inspired a lot of passion in me. You get so close to certain characters and Martin has a knack for killing off your favorites. Not to get to far into spoilers (stop reading!) but after book 5 I'm just hoping and praying for Jon Snow. I won't say any more than that. I got WAY to close to Robb as he was so much like Eddard. Also Martin also has a way of redeeming characters you once hated so he really balances things out too. I hated Jamie at one point to name one.

Porch Dweller
02-09-2014, 08:57 PM

I just got to that part in the book about 1/2 hour ago. Holy CRAP! "Shocked" does not even come close to describing my reaction. And I'll leave it at that so as not to give out any spoilers.

bruceolee
02-10-2014, 03:18 PM
I just got to that part in the book about 1/2 hour ago. Holy CRAP! "Shocked" does not even come close to describing my reaction. And I'll leave it at that so as not to give out any spoilers.

Just wait til you're introduced to lady Stoneheart :D

CigarNut
02-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Just saw this -- makes me even more excited for the upcoming season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5iS3tULXMQ#t=850

bruceolee
02-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Just saw this -- makes me even more excited for the upcoming season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5iS3tULXMQ#t=850

That's funny I was just watching that before I even saw this link. Great little video. It also gave me the idea to ask:

What moment in the series or in the books made you realize that you were hooked to it? It doesn't always have to be a good moment either. For me it was in season 1 and I hadn't read the books yet when they killed off Sean Beans character Eddard "Ned" Stark. I didn't know about George R.R. Martin's love of killing off your favorite characters yet so it shocked me. He was the reason I was watching the show at that time but it seems to be Sean Bean's curse that he always plays great characters that eventually get killed off too soon. Anyways, what about you? What solidified your love and addiction to this show or the books or both?

As a side note I loved the April fools joke that the creators and Martin played on the world. People got violently angry when they read this http://hbowatch.com/peter-dinklage-april-season-four/

irratebass
04-07-2014, 02:20 PM
I really enjoyed last nights episode........the final scene was awesome!!

Malakai
04-07-2014, 02:44 PM
What moment in the series or in the books made you realize that you were hooked to it? It doesn't always have to be a good moment either. For me it was in season 1 and I hadn't read the books yet when they killed off Sean Beans character Eddard "Ned" Stark. I didn't know about George R.R. Martin's love of killing off your favorite characters yet so it shocked me. He was the reason I was watching the show at that time but it seems to be Sean Bean's curse that he always plays great characters that eventually get killed off too soon. Anyways, what about you? What solidified your love and addiction to this show or the books or both?

That was it for me too. I was like WTF how does one of the main characters just get killed off like that. At the time the wifey wasn't wtching the show with me. She eventually started watching it and pretty much caught all up just before it started and was more excited to start watching this season then I was.

Angry_Pirate
04-08-2014, 02:02 AM
Great episode. I just finished the audio books a few weeks ago and cant wait for the next two. I also hope Roy Dotrice does the next two audio books. He did a great job.

After being accused by my wife of watching the show for all the nude women she just finished binge watching the first 3 seasons to get caught up. Now she's hooked on the story too! :D

Chainsaw13
04-08-2014, 05:25 AM
I caught the season premeire again last night. Sets up a lot of interesting plot lines. Interesting to see how they've diverged from the books. Can already see the transformation that is becoming of Arya.

irratebass
04-08-2014, 06:31 AM
Great episode. I just finished the audio books a few weeks ago and cant wait for the next two. I also hope Roy Dotrice does the next two audio books. He did a great job.

After being accused by my wife of watching the show for all the nude women she just finished binge watching the first 3 seasons to get caught up. Now she's hooked on the story too! :D

The nude women is a bonus........nice opening boobies for sure :tu

jonumberone
04-20-2014, 07:30 AM
Ok, it's been a week and not a single comment about last week's episode?
I was shocked to see something like that happen so early in the season.
That was season finale material, and they used it up in episode 2.
Makes me wonder, just how crazy $hit is going to get from here?

Porch Dweller
04-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Ok, it's been a week and not a single comment about last week's episode?
I was shocked to see something like that happen so early in the season.
That was season finale material, and they used it up in episode 2.
Makes me wonder, just how crazy $hit is going to get from here?
Oh, the spoilers I could post... :D

CigarNut
04-20-2014, 09:31 AM
The ending of that episode made me very happy:)

irratebass
04-21-2014, 08:45 AM
It's gonna be a good season.

Chainsaw13
04-21-2014, 12:40 PM
I guess it's good having developed CRS. I've read all 5 books, yet I"m watching the show last night not having a clue what's going to happen. I like the scene at the end with Dany, where they heaved the barrels over the walls of Meereen. The looks on both the slaves/masters faces. And hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. Is Ygritte pissed or what?

nutcracker
04-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Best line last night:

"gold buys silence for a while, but a bolt in the heart buys it forever..."

Chainsaw13
04-21-2014, 01:15 PM
The Sansa character frustrates me. When will she ever get it thru her thick skull, the world isn't all lemon cakes and fairy tales?

jsnake
04-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Good season so far. Read all the books so I know where it is headed but still interested in how they put it on screen. Wonder if it will be 7 years before the next book?

nutcracker
04-22-2014, 05:04 AM
The Sansa character frustrates me. When will she ever get it thru her thick skull, the world isn't all lemon cakes and fairy tales?

She's so pathetic and whiny. Little sister will just stick a sword through your throat. Those Starkes are just so sad with their sense of entitlement.

irratebass
04-22-2014, 06:46 AM
Best line last night:

"gold buys silence for a while, but a bolt in the heart buys it forever..."

:banger

Ashcan Bill
04-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Good season so far. Read all the books so I know where it is headed but still interested in how they put it on screen. Wonder if it will be 7 years before the next book?

I read they are actually a little concerned about the film production coming to a stop due to Martin's writing speed (or lack of). Book 5 is already published, so they're good for next year. And he's been working on book 6 for years now, and speculation is that it should be released in the foreseeable future. I think it's safe to say they'll have material for season 6 in two more years. But I don't see any chance at all of the final(?) book 7 being completed and published the year after that.

They may have to stretch things out and try to get a couple seasons of filming out of one book starting next year.

I've had book 5 sitting on my book shelf for a year now, and still haven't read it. I decided I might as well reread the entire series before starting it. By the time I'm done, book 6 may be out. If I don't read too fast. :lr

Chainsaw13
04-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Bill, season 4 of the TV show is actually the 2nd half of book 3, after the Red Wedding. So that leaves all of books 4/5 for more fodder for the TV show. As much info that's in those, they could easily get a good 3-4 seasons. And since Martin has told the producers where he plans to take the next book, I wouldn't be surprised if they do leap frog him at some point. That might piss the purists off, but I'm sure they'd still read the books to see how he has the story line go.

Ashcan Bill
04-22-2014, 02:18 PM
I didn't know that Bob. I haven't seen anything from season 4 (still finishing up the end of season 3 on DVD). I imagine the show producers have contingency plans and then some. Somehow I'd be surprised though if they get ahead of the books. Could happen, but I'd be surprised all the same.

I just hope Mr. Martin is in good health and doesn't pull the Jordan trick. :D

meatcake
04-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Great season so far. Khallisi needs to get naked again. Whats with all the "ooo...im a bad ass, I dont show my boobies anymore" Boo. lose the top sister...bathe your dragons in the nude or something!!!

irratebass
04-23-2014, 06:14 AM
Great season so far. Khallisi needs to get naked again. Whats with all the "ooo...im a bad ass, I dont show my boobies anymore" Boo. lose the top sister...bathe your dragons in the nude or something!!!

I like the way you think Brandon

jonumberone
04-23-2014, 06:56 AM
She was naked towards the end of season 3 when Daario Naharis brought her the heads of the Second Sons captains.
After watching the wholesome act of, Jamie, raping his sister, next to the dead body of their illegitimate, inbreed son, I'm good with the next episode being a little more edgy. :rolleyes:

CigarNut
04-23-2014, 08:44 AM
She was naked towards the end of season 3 when Daario Naharis brought her the heads of the Second Sons captains.
After watching the wholesome act of, Jamie, raping his sister, next to the dead body of their illegitimate, inbreed son, I'm good with the next episode being a little more edgy. :rolleyes:

:tu :tu

OLS
04-23-2014, 12:07 PM
I agree with that sentiment. Its a pattern you see repeated over and over...I drop the top to get the job, once I prove to be
the most popular lady on the show, I have no more need of nudity. And as divergent as the show has gotten from the books,
there are people who may drop it over something like this. Personally I don't care, I endured Lost to the end, and it scarred
me forever with these multi-season cliff-hanging sucker fests. But when they killed off Joffrey, I came fully back on board.
AS I like to say to my friends that I have discussed it with, "He had me at geh-argh-gurgle".

Angry_Pirate
04-27-2014, 09:26 PM
Good episode. Liked seeing a little more about the white walkers. After listening to the books it will be nice to see what cliff hanger this season ends on.

Chainsaw13
04-28-2014, 07:08 AM
Good episode. Liked seeing a little more about the white walkers. After listening to the books it will be nice to see what cliff hanger this season ends on.

Yea, that was interesting as the books never go into what happened to Craster's sons. Wasn't a hard stretch to imagine, but neat to see if visually.

Chainsaw13
04-28-2014, 07:09 AM

Yea, that was interesting as the books never go into what happened to Craster's sons. Wasn't a hard stretch to imagine, but neat to see it visually.

irratebass
04-28-2014, 09:11 AM
That was metal as f......:banger

OLS
05-01-2014, 08:03 AM
i am going to watch the past two eps tonight, then get back to my two week waiting cycle.

Sweet_Leaf_PDX
05-01-2014, 09:16 AM
I am enjoying the series on HBO but have not read the books. For the folks that have read the books... Are they diverging from the main story line of the books or are they changing more of the in-between stuff? I hope they stick with the "big picture" plot line of the books. Things are always better when done that way.

Angry_Pirate
05-01-2014, 12:49 PM
I am enjoying the series on HBO but have not read the books. For the folks that have read the books... Are they diverging from the main story line of the books or are they changing more of the in-between stuff? I hope they stick with the "big picture" plot line of the books. Things are always better when done that way.

So far they have stuck to the books well. Last weeks episode is the first one in my opinion that has really strayed from the books. Hbo said its a good possibility that the show may pass the current books content before GRR Martin finishes the last 2 books.

OLS
06-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Is there a more entertaining, devastating, interesting combination of people that Arya Stark and The Mountain?

No.
No there isn't.
I wish they'd get married.

Gabe215
06-02-2014, 06:40 PM
I think you mean his brother- The Hound?

OLS
06-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Sorry...The Hound.

CRIMPS
06-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Is there a more entertaining, devastating, interesting combination of people that Arya Stark and The Mountain?

No.
No there isn't.
I wish they'd get married.

haha. You may have something there.

Arya is still my favorite character, I think.

CRIMPS
06-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Oh, and this last episode was the most entertaining and gripping as I have seen in the series. Bravo. I enjoyed this recap. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/06/02/game-of-thrones-season-4-episode-8-review-when-the-viper-met-the-mountain/)

OLS
06-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Was that to be considered a cliff hanger now in this world where 8 episodes is a "season"?
If it was, it was OK in that regard but DAMN, even though I knew how it would likely turn out
it still blew my mind. I guess we can assure ourselves a battle between the two brothers?
An awful lot of setup for the siege of the Wall for no kind of meat on em bones.

OK, I see there are two more coming.

CRIMPS
06-03-2014, 02:46 PM
I haven't read the books, thankfully.

I don't expect the brothers to fight, though. I think the Mountain died right after the Viper did. Maybe I am making an assumption, though. We don't know for sure, I guess.

Peter Dinklish should (will?) win an Emmy. I think he is in my top ten actors.

E.J.
06-03-2014, 03:58 PM
I think the Mountain died right after the Viper did. Maybe I am making an assumption, though. We don't know for sure, I guess.

I am assuming the same thing and so ask, if both contestants in the trial by combat die, why does Tyrion still lose and is thus sentenced to death...:confused:

CRIMPS
06-03-2014, 04:07 PM
I am assuming the same thing and so ask, if both contestants in the trial by combat die, why does Tyrion still lose and is thus sentenced to death...:confused:

Because the Viper died first. :(

OLS
06-03-2014, 05:08 PM
I see both your points, I was scattershooting. I imagine he dies shortly thereafter. But Crimps sounds right,
you gotta draw the line somewhere, especially when most of your remaining family hates you.

E.J.
06-03-2014, 05:38 PM
I think Tyrion makes it through the season!

Gabe215
06-03-2014, 06:08 PM
My favorite character is by far Stanis! And hope he comes to power, nervous if he goes up against Dynaris though! Glad to see Sansa finally making smart decisions and starting to play the game, although Baelish is absolute pure evil he would never do anything to harm her. And What's gonna happen now with Ser Jorah Mormont pretty sure Dynaris should've killed him on the spot! Lastly in the Tyrion subject I'm pretty sure Jamie will come to the recue one way or another him and Braun possibly!

CRIMPS
06-03-2014, 06:08 PM
I think Tyrion makes it through the season!

Hopeful thinking. As do I :banger

Porch Dweller
06-03-2014, 08:00 PM
My favorite character is by far Stanis! And hope he comes to power, nervous if he goes up against Dynaris though! Glad to see Sansa finally making smart decisions and starting to play the game, although Baelish is absolute pure evil he would never do anything to harm her. And What's gonna happen now with Ser Jorah Mormont pretty sure Dynaris should've killed him on the spot! Lastly in the Tyrion subject I'm pretty sure Jamie will come to the recue one way or another him and Braun possibly!

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Remember what Varys had to say about him: "He'd see Westeros burn as long as he could be king of the ashes." Littlefinger only sees people in terms of how they can help him climb the ladder of chaos.

Porch Dweller
06-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Because the Viper died first. :(

This. Last man standing...or in this case, breathing.

irratebass
06-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Last scene was brutal!!!

Chainsaw13
06-04-2014, 07:14 AM
Having read the books, i can honestly say it wouldn't surprise me as to what comes next. Some things they've kept close to the story line in the books, others, not so much.

Chainsaw13
06-15-2014, 08:22 PM
How's that for a season ending?

nutcracker
06-15-2014, 08:55 PM
One of the better episodes.
Bolt through the chest - just desserts for a real jack@@s

Angry_Pirate
06-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Nice season ending! Thought they were straying alot from the books but that episode brought most of it back inline.

stearns
06-16-2014, 06:00 AM
soo... when does the next season start? please say next sunday :)

CRIMPS
06-16-2014, 07:59 AM
Talk about tying up some loose ends. I didn't remember Stannis Baratheon heading to the north wall at all, until I watched the recap prior to the finale last night. John Snow continues to impress.

Without giving too much away, I couldn't help but think about Tyrion and Tywin Lannister's celebration of Fathers Day.

March? can't get here fast enough.

Ashcan Bill
06-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Bolt through the chest - just desserts for a real jack@@s

In the book it was a bit lower. Either way you gotta love a happy ending to that particular story. ;)

mahtofire14
06-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Thought it was a great episode. I just got into the series but binge watched seasons 1-3 to catch up to the current episodes. I'm not sure what I'm going to do Sunday nights now......Guess I'll have more time to smoke.

jsnake
06-16-2014, 09:02 PM
This was a good episode and I think next season will start getting ahead of the last book. I hope he gets to finishing the next book soon but if I remember correctly it is usually 6 to 7 years between books.

CRIMPS
06-17-2014, 09:01 AM
This was a good episode and I think next season will start getting ahead of the last book. I hope he gets to finishing the next book soon but if I remember correctly it is usually 6 to 7 years between books.

Oh, I was under a different impression.

I haven't read the books, so I am simply going on what I heard from a coworker, that we are at the end of the 3rd book. Maybe I am way off on that, though.

jsnake
06-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Oh, I was under a different impression.

I haven't read the books, so I am simply going on what I heard from a coworker, that we are at the end of the 3rd book. Maybe I am way off on that, though.
I read them all and honestly I can't remember. I do know Arya has much more going on that we will see from the books. I just think on some of the story they are getting to where the books ended and maybe by the end of the season we will see new stuff. I may re read them just for the fun of it.

CRIMPS
06-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Fair enough, Jake.

I think my Wife is about to start reading them. Honestly, I don't think I can invest the necessary time to do that. Besides, I'm so stinking AD... Oh look, a ball.

stearns
06-17-2014, 09:58 AM
I may re read them just for the fun of it.

You and I have different definitions of fun, I'd rather just wait for the next season to come out :r

irratebass
06-17-2014, 11:01 AM

It has been renewed for 2 more seasons......so far, so he has time....we're good I think.

jsnake
06-17-2014, 05:04 PM
You and I have different definitions of fun, I'd rather just wait for the next season to come out :r
I have a lot of free time at work and in a hotel so I have about 2,000 books on my Nook HD+ at all times. I do a lot of reading and usually read between 80 to 100 books a year. Just something I really enjoy.

cricky101
06-17-2014, 05:26 PM
I haven't seen the TV show, but finished the last book today and I WANT MORE!

Chainsaw13
06-17-2014, 05:34 PM
They sort of ended up the season with book 3. A bit of pull ahead on some story lines, others they still need to get fully caught up on (if they even do so). I'm rereading the books myself, and now into book 4. I have to say, the way they wrote the storyline of Brienne and the Hound was pretty cool. Completely different from the books.

OLS
06-23-2014, 02:37 PM
I was happy to see a few nice stories set up for next time, but I am in no mood to wait.
They broke up my favorite team last night, but a LOT of pigeons came home to roost.
Seems the Targarean bi+(h can't fully grasp control over things. They just HAD to mess up
my idea of the dynamic of Arya and The Hound. But you can have ALL the reveals and the
cliff-hangers and the crazy 5hi+ for the ONE GREATEST SCENE of the season for me....
Our Anti-hero completes the escape of our loveable drunken whorer, turns to go back home,
sees and hears the entire city in rabid turmoil, turns around, returns and sits down on the
getaway craft to join his new pal in some foreign land. I like my chances better on the road...
We always knew he was clever. Now we see he is smart, too. And don't think that with the old
man dead, the bank won't be coming to call.