PDA

View Full Version : August: Osage County

bruceolee
01-27-2014, 08:01 PM
What the hell did I just watch? This movie comes from its play and is shot in a similar type of manner. Usually when you watch a movie you have a protagonist that you can get behind. They usually have an arc that leads to something. bad guy becomes good, reluctant hero becomes self sacrificing savior, and so on. I'm not joking when I say there is literally no one in this movie you can get behind with the exception of a very minor character who's not in this movie all that much. This is a movie about the most dysfunctional family that ever existed losing their father and husband. The family implodes and explodes into a 2 hour shrill argument where nothing is achieved. EVERY character starts out at a point and ends at the same point with nothing really gained or learned. Don't get me wrong the acting is great but the story offers no redemption that just exhausts you by its end. For me this film was 2 hours of pure torture. Don't pay to see it and don't pirate it because if you manage to get a screener copy it will still rob you of something and for it was 2 hours of my life. So, to conclude I didn't like it all that much :fl

Flynnster
01-27-2014, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure about it in theaters, however, it is the most amazing play that I've ever seen performed, and I have seen a lot. What was great about it for me is that it feels like you are experiencing things with them as it happens.

A lot of the power would most likely be lost by going to film though.