PDA

View Full Version : Lone Survivor

bruceolee
01-21-2014, 08:16 PM
If you love the men and women who defend your country every day and want to support them as much as possible you owe it to them and yourself to see this movie. It's the story about Operation Red Wings and the spirit of 4 Navy Seals (one of which won the Medal Of Honor posthumously) and the spirit of the men who attempted to save their brothers. The title says it all. This is not a happy story but it is an inspiring film about the courage of those who fight for each other and fight for us every single day. Much of which we never hear about so when something like this comes out I think it's important for those of us NOT in harms way to see what these men (and women) go through on a daily basis. You never hear this stuff unless 1. something amazing happens (like Bin Ladens death) or 2. Something horrible happens. Even when something terrible happens there are amazing stories of courage, brotherhood, and heroics and those stories must be told too. This is a mixed bag because something amazing does happen but horrible things had to happen for this amazing thing to occur. Please see it. The acting is very good. The action is filmed close so you feel like you're in it with them and they went through painstaking details to make this story as accurate as hollywood can make it. Even is you're not an American it still should be seen because because your own countrymen and women go through this as well and sacrifice just as much for you. It's a story for all fighting men and women no matter what country you come from.

kelmac07
01-22-2014, 05:15 AM
Awesome movie...even better book. :tu :tu :tu :tu :tu

Stevez
01-22-2014, 06:40 AM
Agree wholeheartedly. I read the book then saw the movie and was extremely moved by it. Great movie and story that I highly recommend.

cjhalbrooks
01-22-2014, 07:05 AM
I would love to see it. But i will most likely wait for a few years. It is great to see soldiers getting reconation that they deserive.

maninblack
01-22-2014, 07:37 AM
Very great story and movie.

AlohaStyle
01-22-2014, 10:22 AM
I haven't read the book or seen the movie... not sure if I want to. I definitely respect the hell out of what they did for their country, but I saw the guy do an interview a few months back and he seems obviously depressed and almost embarrassed that this story is being made into a movie etc. He feels so guilty about letting his buddy die and quite honestly I fear that he won't be able to overcome this guilt. It's terrible what those people went through, and terrible that this guy has to live with what he went through. Peace be with him.

I've only seen one interview so I could be wrong, but that is the sense I got from the interview I saw.

hotreds
01-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Great movie, great warriors! Thank God for men like these!

AdamJoshua
01-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Haven't seen the movie but read a great article, the rescue wing that actually did the planning and went in and got him was from Patrick Air Force Base, the base I grew up right next to, so a little hometown pride there.

equetefue
01-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Cant wait to see this movie. Maybe ill take the family on Friday

Smoqman
01-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks for this. My family and I are PROUD supporters of the Men and Women of our United States Military and we'll watch this movie intently.

cjhalbrooks
01-22-2014, 11:15 AM
I haven't read the book or seen the movie... not sure if I want to. I definitely respect the hell out of what they did for their country, but I saw the guy do an interview a few months back and he seems obviously depressed and almost embarrassed that this story is being made into a movie etc. He feels so guilty about letting his buddy die and quite honestly I fear that he won't be able to overcome this guilt. It's terrible what those people went through, and terrible that this guy has to live with what he went through. Peace be with him.

From what i understand he feels like their story needs to be known. That is why he wrote the book and is allowing the movie to take place. I agree with you about the guilt tho. I think with this movie and the book being published he will feel like the story has been told. I THINK this is the "help" he needs to over come this event. :2

DirtRider500R
01-23-2014, 03:02 PM
I plan on seeing this tomorrow with my dad (former Marine). We're really looking forward to it

Stevez
01-23-2014, 03:15 PM

I've only seen one interview so I could be wrong, but that is the sense I got from the interview I saw.

Ryan, I didn't get that feeling from either the book or the interviews I've seen, or the movie. He was in the movie and very instrumental in making sure it was accurate and told the story of his commrades in arms. He says he told the story for his buddies that couldn't and he points out their heroic deeds throughout. Quite sure he has survivors guilt though; don't know how he couldn't. Fanstastic movie, but certainly understand those that don't want to see it.

bruceolee
01-23-2014, 04:26 PM
I haven't checked this thread since I wrote it up but I'm glad to see all the love going to not only the movie but to our men and women fighting for us daily. Thank you guys for that! I know CA is BIG TIME when it comes to troop support and I know coming from a military family with a lot of military history in it that it means a lot to get that kind of support for the troops from our humble little website. I cannot encourage you enough to watch this film. Yes Marc Luttrell does suffer from PTSD and he admits so freely but from watching the making of this movie i wouldn't say the man is unhappy. I believe he's made his peace with what happened there. As he has said many time regarding survivors guilt that he doesn't believe he survived either. He's been quoted as saying "I died up on that mountain too" and I believe that a piece of him is forever on that mountain with his brothers in arms. He's said that a huge part of him died that day and he also says a new person was born that day and that's who he is now.

The other major part of that story is the everyday courage of regular Afghani's who continue to fight the Taliban in their own war. Without them he would also not be alive and they certainly risked no less by protecting him. I've heard that Muhammed Gulab was offered $80,000US and a new home in Pakistan for giving him over to the Taliban but he refused knowing that his village and his family would have forever shunned him for not protecting Marc.

I don't feel you have to watch this film to honor the men who died that day but this story should be acknowledged in some way by average every day citizens of this country. If we fail in that then you're truly lost but please don't feel pressure to watch the film but PLEASE read up on what happened and I promise you will not have regretted doing so. Thanks again guys for making this thread a very positive thing.

DirtRider500R
01-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Just got home from it, fantastic movie!!

hotreds
01-24-2014, 07:59 PM
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0d/50/08/0d5008ffe92993537c6b2b1656da6d74.jpg