PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental solar power, anyone have info?

BlkDrew
01-16-2014, 01:32 AM
So I have been watching tv shows like On the Edge, or extreme cheapskates. I researched the solar panels themselves, which are fair in price. Does anyone here run solar that they have installed themselves and can give tips for products (inverter, batteries, connection to the panel).

Pictures are more than welcome, stories as well, and most of all tips and advice.

Thanks in advance brothers
Andrew

mosesbotbol
01-16-2014, 07:22 AM
I looked into it. Your best bet financially is to buy the panels outright. Do not do a lease where they guarantee an electricity rate. Even if you have to re-mortgage your house to do so; you'll make out big time on the savings in the end. When you buy them, you get the subsidies and then you have that as value to the house later on as it's 100% yours.

stitch
01-16-2014, 08:22 AM
We live totally off the grid, so I don't know all details about grid tied systems, Some power companies are real picky and have a lot of rules and make you use their equipment.
I will tell you that panels are priced decent, but good batteries and good inverters and charge controllers are expensive, but they are the heart and soul of your system so don't go cheap on them.
Xantrex and Outback are the best on the market, And go with a 24 volt or 48 volt system they are more efficient and 12 volt systems are a thing of the past.
I'll be glad to help in any way I can.
I didn't install the system here but I maintain and repair it myself.

8zeros
01-16-2014, 08:43 AM
There are three basic types of systems:
Grid tie only, no way to run off batteries. A way to get payed to feed electricity to the grid.
Off grid, or battery only, a way to live off the grid or can be used as backup.
Hybrid systems that charge batteries, back feed the grid and provide backup.
Some have inputs for supplemental generators, with auto start, for when the batteries go low.

What are you thinking of as a system?

Conch Republican
01-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Drew - run an extension cord from work to your house - you'll be all set

BlkDrew
01-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Mark, that would be one long extension cord.

Thanks for all the info, I am looking for a system that would have batteries and run my house for the most part. I'm not really looking to back feed the grid, just looking to significantly cut my utility provided electricity bill. Currently my bill is only 40-50 a month for electric, which doesn't seem high. The solar system could be small, just a couple of panels to cover fans, lights and small electronics.

8zeros
01-16-2014, 09:07 PM
If you are running solar on the same circuits as your utility for your fans, etc., then you need to get a grid tie system, which automatically offsets your bill.
Otherwise you have to run separate circuits and have a way to switch it.
A grid tie system is panels and an inverter. Simple. The inverter is made to add power to the grid to reduce your bill.
Off grid adds batteries and a charge controller. The inverter may not be rated to feed power to the grid.
Combining them together needs specific inverters made to do that and a little more hardware. These will switch to battery power when the utility goes down.
Good information from Stitch up there.

RWhisenand
01-16-2014, 09:21 PM
Like Stitch stated, the inverter and charge controller is the heart of your system. I have some experience with the Outback system, and the damn thing is solid. I also use Optima batteries, and a propane generator, which the Outback can start if it sees the charge starting to drop. This it the type of system we use at repeater sites.

stitch
01-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Yep, in order to run off Batteries and Grid power independent of one another you would need to some extensive wiring of your home. Your only real option is to go grid tied with a system big enough to run the home.
Out here we don't even have the option for grid power ( unless I want to cough up $25,000. to the power co. ) We run our entire ranch on 1500w Solar (soon to be 2500w) and a 12K generator that charges the batteries if they get too low.