PDA

View Full Version : 2014 MLB Thread

Pages : [1] 2

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-11-2014, 05:16 PM
Might as well get this going for the new year:)

Jerry, get the checkbook out and let's get Tanaka!

http://www.hoopstradamus.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/jerry.jpg

icehog3
01-11-2014, 05:19 PM
I miss Prince.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-11-2014, 05:21 PM
I still don't get that move Tom, he was a major part of the Tigers offense.

AdamJoshua
01-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Well here's to hoping the RedSox get picked to finish last in their division again!

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/10/31/sports/baseball/Series-slide-F2EA/Series-slide-F2EA-articleLarge.jpg

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-11-2014, 05:59 PM
It's hard typing with crossed fingers!
http://www.bloguin.com/theoutsidecorner/images/stories/mtanaka.jpg

kelmac07
01-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Hoping we field a MAJOR LEAGUE TEAM this year and not another AAA one.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Reinsdorf and company did just save $20 million by the Bulls giving Deng away.:r:r There's no doubt the Sox have the money to spend and can play the bidding war, however that's not the issue. Tanaka will have to want to come to Chicago over the west coast (likely where he ends up)

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Something else I thought was interesting with Tanaka, Kenny Williams was quoted in the Sun-Times as saying he was out of town "on White Sox business" when he wasn't at the Hurt's HOF press conference.. Of which will result in very good news for Sox fans in a couple days... At the very least, the Sox are going to be bidding high for Tanaka.

qwerty1500
01-12-2014, 06:12 AM
Normally start the season convinced that the Cards need pitching. This year may be different for a change ... 8 potential starters for 5 slots. We'll see. What are we, just a few weeks from report day?

CigarSquid
01-12-2014, 08:29 AM

I hear ya. A's have done that for a while. 2 years in a row to playoffs, 2 years in a row knocked out. Maybe this year they can make it further.

Looking forward to the season.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-12-2014, 06:25 PM
I hear ya. A's have done that for a while. 2 years in a row to playoffs, 2 years in a row knocked out. Maybe this year they can make it further.

Looking forward to the season.

A's have had a very nice team the past couple years, hardly AAA.

AdamJoshua
01-12-2014, 06:43 PM

We just have a different opinion on what a AAA team is, his AAA team makes the playoffs 2 years in a row :r

Oh A-Roid 60 minutes tonight, this should be fun.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-12-2014, 06:46 PM
We just have a different opinion on what a AAA team is, his AAA team makes the playoffs 2 years in a row :r

Oh A-Roid 60 minutes tonight, this should be fun.

Yeah, you want an example of triple A? Look no further than west 35th street, Chicago IL:gary

A-Roid is full of lies

CigarSquid
01-12-2014, 07:47 PM

Before that, I was saying. The A's did nothing but there AAA team, the Rivercats would win quite a bit. Nothing for the major's

AdamJoshua
01-12-2014, 07:56 PM
A-Roid is full of lies

You know the Yankees are trying to figure out how to void his contract as we speak, at least if he got suspended for 1+ years they had an out on having to pay him, but with it under a year they are boned, granted it makes me smile.

I can't see how they can even let him show up for spring training, I'm assuming he won't with the ban in place, of course he will say everything that guy said was a lie and how he is going to sue everyone in the northern hemisphere how they are all out to get him and try to deflect this and blame others. He's a lying sack of crap.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-12-2014, 08:08 PM
You know the Yankees are trying to figure out how to void his contract as we speak, at least if he got suspended for 1+ years they had an out on having to pay him, but with it under a year they are boned, granted it makes me smile.

I can't see how they can even let him show up for spring training, I'm assuming he won't with the ban in place, of course he will say everything that guy said was a lie and how he is going to sue everyone in the northern hemisphere how they are all out to get him and try to deflect this and blame others. He's a lying sack of crap.

I bet there's language in his contract that has him covered. With the Yanks needing someone at third, maybe that lowers the interest in Tanaka.

The Poet
01-12-2014, 08:16 PM
I bet there's language in his contract that has him covered. With the Yanks needing someone at third, maybe that lowers the interest in Tanaka.

Yeah, the Yankees are always frugal when it comes to buying players.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Yeah, the Yankees are always frugal when it comes to buying players.

LOL what happened to Cano? Granderson? How do you let them go like that?

AdamJoshua
01-12-2014, 08:22 PM

I think originally they were making a case that if he was suspended for over a year they could void his contract and there would be no more payments, interesting that it ended up being 161, one game LESS than a full season.

Maybe Jeter will move to third so a younger prospect can come up and play short :r Just kidding we know that will never happen.

The Poet
01-12-2014, 08:37 PM
LOL what happened to Cano? Granderson? How do you let them go like that?

Grandy's a nice player, but overpaid for a team with 3 CFs. And Robbie's a nicer one to whom the Yanks would have given $24 M a year . . . but for 7 years, not ten. Remember, Cano fired the most mercenary agent in sports, Scott Boras, to go to somebody even more mercenary, Jay Z.

But of course, you'd know nothing about that, as the Black Sox have always kept all their players. :D

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Grandy's a nice player, but overpaid for a team with 3 CFs. And Robbie's a nicer one to whom the Yanks would have given $24 M a year . . . but for 7 years, not ten. Remember, Cano fired the most mercenary agent in sports, Scott Boras, to go to somebody even more mercenary, Jay Z.

But of course, you'd know nothing about that, as the Black Sox have always kept all their players. :D

No, I get it, the yanks are frugal and didn't want to spend the money! Seriously, you think they didn't sign Cano because of 3 extra years?

The Poet
01-12-2014, 08:47 PM
No, I get it, the yanks are frugal and didn't want to spend the money! Seriously, you think they didn't sign Cano because of 3 extra years?

You're right, I'm nuts. ;)

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/12/how-the-golden-age-of-television-and-baseball-ends.aspx

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-12-2014, 09:32 PM
You're right, I'm nuts. ;)

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/12/how-the-golden-age-of-television-and-baseball-ends.aspx

I don't get it, the article is claiming that since the Mariners got a "roughly" 2 billion dollar tv deal over 17 years, they were able to outbid the Yankees for Cano? I don't buy it and I certainly wouldn't underestimate your Yankees financial abilities. I'll be honest and say I don't know the full terms of the Yankees tv deals, but I'd venture to say that it's a fairly large revenue stream for them, certainly close to what the Mariners get over 17 years. What about other revenue streams? Tickets, apparel, advertising, sponsorship, premium seating, radio deals, ect... Plus ownership capital contributions.. Yankees did not get outbid by the Mariners for Cano. I'm still left wondering why they didn't resign.

AdamJoshua
01-12-2014, 11:37 PM
I think originally they were making a case that if he was suspended for over a year they could void his contract and there would be no more payments, interesting that it ended up being 161, one game LESS than a full season.

Maybe Jeter will move to third so a younger prospect can come up and play short :r Just kidding we know that will never happen.

What i heard before was wrong, I was wrong, it's 162 plus the playoffs if the MFYs make it, so we'll see what they do now.

icehog3
01-13-2014, 12:22 AM
I heard a report that Arod would be surrendering approximately 22 of his 25 million dollar salary for 2014, so there must be some loophole that he still gets 3 million without playing a single game.

How will he ever survive on only 3 million dollars? :r

The Poet
01-13-2014, 08:19 AM
How will he ever survive on only 3 million dollars? :r

It's a struggle, believe me.

And I never said the Yankees could not afford to outbid the M's for Cano if they wanted to. I said they didn't want to. They have had enough of huge long-term contracts hanging around their necks, and they have had enough of paying other teams' freight through the luxury tax. The Yanks were also blindsided a bit by Cano, and thought they were in preliminary negotiations when Robbie suddenly jumped the Yankee Clipper for another shipful of sailors. But why are you obsessing over the money, which was NOT the issue? It was the 10 years that was the sticking point, not the cash, and Cashman (who for some strange reason seems to believe he knows Robbie Cano a bit better than the Mariners . . . or you) balked at the prospect of committing to an additional decade with an infielder who's already 31 . . . and who, good as he is psssst, don't tell anybody has a few holes in his game.

Did the Yanks make a mistake? Maybe. Time will tell. One thing's for sure though. Sign him or not sign him, they were gonna get criticized for it either way. They are the Yankees, and that's what people do.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-13-2014, 04:54 PM
It's a struggle, believe me.

And I never said the Yankees could not afford to outbid the M's for Cano if they wanted to. I said they didn't want to. They have had enough of huge long-term contracts hanging around their necks, and they have had enough of paying other teams' freight through the luxury tax. The Yanks were also blindsided a bit by Cano, and thought they were in preliminary negotiations when Robbie suddenly jumped the Yankee Clipper for another shipful of sailors. But why are you obsessing over the money, which was NOT the issue? It was the 10 years that was the sticking point, not the cash, and Cashman (who for some strange reason seems to believe he knows Robbie Cano a bit better than the Mariners . . . or you) balked at the prospect of committing to an additional decade with an infielder who's already 31 . . . and who, good as he is psssst, don't tell anybody has a few holes in his game.

Did the Yanks make a mistake? Maybe. Time will tell. One thing's for sure though. Sign him or not sign him, they were gonna get criticized for it either way. They are the Yankees, and that's what people do.

Never said it but certainly implied it:r "Yeah, the Yankees are always frugal when it comes to buying players."
You're right, I'm nuts.
http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...ball-ends.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------------

If I'm Yanks and money really isn't an issue, why not just look at it this way: 7 year deal for $34 million a year? Just write off the back end of this contract..

Granderson signed for 4 years, $15 million a year. Certainly a re-signable contract I think.

I do think Tanaka will likely end up in NY, either there or LAA. LAD don't need pitching, also Kershaw causes problems down the road if they have both him and Tanaka to deal with.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-13-2014, 04:55 PM
In other news, A-Roid files suit against MLB and the union. Seeking to vacate ban for 2014.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/14/sports/baseball/alex-rodriguez-continues-fight-seeking-to-vacate-arbitrators-ruling.html?hpw&rref=sports&_r=0

AdamJoshua
01-13-2014, 05:08 PM
In other news, A-Roid files suit against MLB and the union. Seeking to vacate ban for 2014.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/14/sports/baseball/alex-rodriguez-continues-fight-seeking-to-vacate-arbitrators-ruling.html?hpw&rref=sports&_r=0

No surprise here at all, Aroid needs to be on the front page and on tv as much as possible, since he will never make the "800 HR Club" now, this is his only option to feed his enormous ****ing ego. I do love the fact that the union at least tried to stick up for him (even though you know they are shitting their pants over this mess and the longer Aroid drags it out the worse it is for other players as well), they said it was unfair of baseball to be part of the interview, yet so was the arbitrator as well as Aroid's own lawyers.

I can't wait till he's just an old memory, it's funny the loathing some have for him, he who could well be known in the future as the biggest cheater in the history of MLB.

AdamJoshua
01-13-2014, 05:25 PM
In the end, he thinks he's bigger than the game. That's his biggest mistake.

icehog3
01-13-2014, 07:46 PM
In the end, he thinks he's bigger than the game. That's his biggest mistake.

Don't hate the game....Hate the playa. :D

AdamJoshua
01-13-2014, 07:53 PM
"NEW YORK -- In the final analysis, the arbitrator found the word of a "drug dealer'' to be more credible than that of Alex Rodriguez."

That about sums it up :r

dman4505
01-14-2014, 03:23 PM

Only Triple A team playing in the majors resides on the north side of Chicago at Clark & Addison.

Don

icehog3
01-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Only Triple A team playing in the majors resides on the north side of Chicago at Clark & Addison.

Don

They won more games than the White Sox. Marlins and Astros too, for that matter.

The Poet
01-14-2014, 08:48 PM
The Yanks were also blindsided a bit by Cano, and thought they were in preliminary negotiations when Robbie suddenly jumped the Yankee Clipper for another shipful of sailors.

If I'm Yanks and money really isn't an issue, why not just look at it this way: 7 year deal for $34 million a year? Just write off the back end of this contract..

Granderson signed for 4 years, $15 million a year. Certainly a re-signable contract I think.

Do you only read those parts of posts that suit you? :r The Yanks might have payed Cano more per year than Seattle had Jay Z and Robbie given them the chance. As for Grandy, I hope for Mac's sake that the Mets get their money's worth, since the Yanks did not the last 2 years. Last season he only played 61 games, batted .229 with 15 RBIs. He did have a good 2012 regular season, when he earned his $10 M (not $15 M in '12), but went a sterling 3 for 30 in the post-season.

Then there remains the fact that, with the signing of Cano by Seattle and Grandy by the Mets, folks like you are criticizing the Yanks and talking as if the Yankees had a march stolen on them and blew it big time. On the other hand, had the Yankees signed Cano and Grandy to the exact same contracts as they got in Seattle and Queens, folks like you would be criticizing the Yankees for overpaying for two more aging players in an attempt to purchase another championship. Don't bother to deny it . . . I've seen it too often before. It does not matter what the Yankees do, people will find fault regardless of which way they go.

And finally, there's this: Brother, I have no problem whatsoever believing you know a great deal more about the White Sox than I do. Can you perhaps entertain for a second the wild thought that I might know just a teeny-tiny bit more about the Yankees than you? :D

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-14-2014, 09:31 PM
You're right, I criticize every move they make:rolleyes:

And no, I won't entertain that wild idea;)

If the Yankees sign Tanaka, count on me posting here that they overpaid. If they don't, count on me posting that they missed the boat! :r

AdamJoshua
01-14-2014, 09:35 PM
So an interesting side note to this, so Aroid passed 12 or so random tests, now you start looking at all of the player, people like Chris Davis who out of no where hits 33 HRs a year ago and 50+ last year, when in the previous SIX years he hit around 45 TOTAL HRs ... makes you stop and think. To be fair in a couple of those years he played very few games, but his HR per AB went through the roof. In 115 games, the 3 yr period before his "break out" HR seasons he hit a grant total of 5 HRs.

The Poet
01-14-2014, 09:44 PM
You're right, I criticize every move they make:rolleyes:

And no, I won't entertain that wild idea;)

If the Yankees sign Tanaka, count on me posting here that they overpaid. If they don't, count on me posting that they missed the boat! :r

I believe every one of those statements. :tu

:D

dman4505
01-15-2014, 09:47 AM
They won more games than the White Sox. Marlins and Astros too, for that matter.

That may be but I still think they're not much better than a lot of AAA teams, and I've been a fan since 1972. They may have a few good players on the roster but I don't see any real superstars that's going to get them to the playoffs much less ever win a championship any time soon.

Don

icehog3
01-15-2014, 10:39 AM
I understand the general sentiment, Don, but it you follow baseball realistically, the Cubs or any MLB team would beat an AAA team 19 times out of 20. JMHO.

The Poet
01-15-2014, 01:59 PM
I understand the general sentiment, Don, but it you follow baseball realistically, the Cubs or any MLB team would beat an AAA team 19 times out of 20. JMHO.

Not sure the dominance would be that great, but maybe so. Two things make me question 19 of 20. One, it all depends on pitching, and a young AAA phenom can outpitch a #4 or #5 starter at times. Two, baseball is different than other sports, in that you cannot outmuscle or outphysical the opponent. Grounders bounce funny, pop flies drop for doubles, pick-offs end up in the dugout, some hitter flirting with the Mendoza line goes 4 for 5 . . . baseball's weird. JM :2, and worth every penny.

icehog3
01-15-2014, 02:24 PM
OK, I'll drop to 17.5 of 20, Thomas. :D

Scherzer filed for arbitration today, give the man whatever he seeks. He has different colored eyes, for God's sake!!

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/scherzer_zps1d03e44c.jpg (http://s196.photobucket.com/user/icehog3/media/scherzer_zps1d03e44c.jpg.html)

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-15-2014, 04:26 PM
Not sure the dominance would be that great, but maybe so. Two things make me question 19 of 20. One, it all depends on pitching, and a young AAA phenom can outpitch a #4 or #5 starter at times. Two, baseball is different than other sports, in that you cannot outmuscle or outphysical the opponent. Grounders bounce funny, pop flies drop for doubles, pick-offs end up in the dugout, some hitter flirting with the Mendoza line goes 4 for 5 . . . baseball's weird. JM :2, and worth every penny.

Waa??:tf

AdamJoshua
01-15-2014, 04:27 PM

I too am requesting explanations! :r

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-15-2014, 04:32 PM
Kershaw gets a mega deal
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/los-angeles-dodgers-clayton-kershaw-reach-record-deal?ymd=20140115&content_id=66659036&vkey=news_mlb

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-15-2014, 04:34 PM
I too am requesting explanations! :r

Not me, I've heard enough:r:r

(kidding here Thomas:tu)

AdamJoshua
01-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Kershaw gets a mega deal
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/los-angeles-dodgers-clayton-kershaw-reach-record-deal?ymd=20140115&content_id=66659036&vkey=news_mlb

Holy **** .. now he can pull a zito and never be the same. :r

dman4505
01-15-2014, 06:05 PM

I do follow baseball realistically and it is my opinion that the Cubs are nothing more than a high priced AAA ball club.

Don

The Poet
01-15-2014, 06:43 PM

I don't understand, since unlike that, my post was in English. :D

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-15-2014, 06:46 PM
I don't understand, since unlike that, my post was in English. :D

May be in English but that still doesn't make it more understandable than my other post!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/major-league-baseball-game-times-announced-for-2014-season?ymd=20140115&content_id=66674258&vkey=news_mlb

MLB Opening Series games in Australia??

icehog3
01-15-2014, 08:02 PM
I do follow baseball realistically and it is my opinion that the Cubs are nothing more than a high priced AAA ball club.

Don

Didn't mean to come off like I am a baseball expert, Don, just know enough to believe an AAA team can't compete with any MLB team consistently. We'll just agree to disagree. ;s

AdamJoshua
01-15-2014, 08:02 PM
May be in English but that still doesn't make it more understandable than my other post!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/major-league-baseball-game-times-announced-for-2014-season?ymd=20140115&content_id=66674258&vkey=news_mlb

MLB Opening Series games in Australia??

I like it, gives MLB a chance to broaden their market and gives Puig a chance to get arrested for something stupid on another continent!

dman4505
01-16-2014, 07:35 AM
Didn't mean to come off like I am a baseball expert, Don, just know enough to believe an AAA team can't compete with any MLB team consistently. We'll just agree to disagree. ;s

That's why I like this place, we can agree to disagree and be civil about it.
I do agree with you that most AAA teams couldn't compete with the upper tier MLB teams on a consistent basis.

Don
:chr

The Poet
01-16-2014, 08:57 AM

I second this, points A and B. My point was that baseball is, like golf, a sport depending more on skill and execution, and even some luck, than just physical ability, and the best team does not always win. The old axiom is that the worst team in baseball will win 40 games a year, and the best team will lose 40 . . . it's the other 80 that make the difference. Some days your ace loses his arm slot and gets hammered. Some days your hitters are smacking hard liners right at fielders. Some days the ump is squeezing your strike zone, or giving the pitcher all corners and more. I repeat: Baseball's weird. If you don't think so, try making a living betting on games.

AdamJoshua
01-16-2014, 09:09 AM
I second this, points A and B. My point was that baseball is, like golf, a sport depending more on skill and execution, and even some luck, than just physical ability, and the best team does not always win. The old axiom is that the worst team in baseball will win 40 games a year, and the best team will lose 40 . . . it's the other 80 that make the difference. Some days your ace loses his arm slot and gets hammered. Some days your hitters are smacking hard liners right at fielders. Some days the ump is squeezing your strike zone, or giving the pitcher all corners and more. I repeat: Baseball's weird. If you don't think so, try making a living betting on games.

You forgot something fundamental, speaking of mental, pressure, you put a AAA team in front of 50,000 rabid fans against a pro team and I would have to say that is going to cause MORE "funny bounces" for the AAA team because they will most likely be more nervous, over play balls, strike out trying to hit a HR in front of the huge crowd. 19 out of 20 might in reality be a bit much, let's go with 17 out of 20 times the pro team is going to win :)

icehog3
01-16-2014, 10:18 AM
try making a living betting on games.

Is there an application I need to fill out? :noon

The Poet
01-16-2014, 10:24 AM
You forgot something fundamental, speaking of mental, pressure, you put a AAA team in front of 50,000 rabid fans against a pro team and I would have to say that is going to cause MORE "funny bounces" for the AAA team because they will most likely be more nervous, over play balls, strike out trying to hit a HR in front of the huge crowd. 19 out of 20 might in reality be a bit much, let's go with 17 out of 20 times the pro team is going to win :)

It is MORE than "funny bonces" I alluded to, but let's leave that aside. My point was that 19 of 20 may be too great a dominance, and you seem to agree. I hear your point about playing in the bigs, but you overlook the fact that a typical AAA team has quite a few players who have already played in the majors, either as veterans or as youngsters or "AAAA" players called up for cups of coffee. Bottom line, the vast majority of AAA players are AAA players because they are considered to be useful to a MLB team, sometimes on a day's notice. If not, they wouldn't be at the AAA level. Plus, more often than not, MLB trades hinge upon which minor-league players the teams are willing to part with, so even the "true" baseball experts realize their value.

Let's take a step back for a minute. This whole discussion began when Mac expressed the hope that his Mets would field something besides an AAA team this coming season. Now, despite all the injuries and problems my Yankees had last year, no one could reasonably argue that they were not a legitimate MLB team despite the fact that they missed the playoffs by a few games. Well, as Mac would proudly boast, his team swept mine in interleague play last year, going 4-0, and thus it could be argued that the Mets kept the Yankees out of the post-season . . . and, if you accept Mac's premise that they were an AAA team, my point is proven. :r

Now let's step away entirely. Any thought on the Dodgers' monster contract with Clayton Kershaw? Seven years, $215 million . . . for a pitcher?

Brian D.
01-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Friend of mine here in Cincy is a Chicago refugee..er, transplant and still a Cubs fan. However when the new "mascot" was debuted the other day, he sent them a suggestion for the number on the back of its jersey: 1909. I found that rather funny.

The Poet
01-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Is there an application I need to fill out? :noon

Yes, but it is most often call a voluntary committal. :D

icehog3
01-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Now let's step away entirely. Any thought on the Dodgers' monster contract with Clayton Kershaw? Seven years, $215 million . . . for a pitcher?

Insane for any player, especially for a pitcher. :2

Friend of mine here in Cincy is a Chicago refugee..er, transplant and still a Cubs fan. However when the new "mascot" was debuted the other day, he sent them a suggestion for the number on the back of its jersey: 1909. I found that rather funny.

NSFW cartoon.

http://deadspin.com/comcast-sportsnet-airs-our-version-of-cubs-mascot-with-1501633812?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebo ok&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Watch the video, funny stuff.

Brian D.
01-17-2014, 10:53 AM
NSFW cartoon.

http://deadspin.com/comcast-sportsnet-airs-our-version-of-cubs-mascot-with-1501633812?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebo ok&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Many years ago here in Cincinnati, there was a nightclub where several of the Reds showed up after games on a regular basis. One time when the Padres were in town they got the 'San Diego Chicken' to come along, in costume. Found myself next to him after some drinking had been done. ( Much more by him than me by the way.) Anyhow at one point he said "Watch this" and every time a pretty girl would pass by he'd ask them "Do you want to touch my p*cker?"

True story, which I'd forgotten about for a long long time until your post, icehog.

icehog3
01-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Too funny, Brian. :r

jonumberone
01-17-2014, 12:19 PM
NSFW cartoon.

Awesome! :D

The Poet
01-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Awesome! :D

Is it? I'm not familiar enough with ursine anatomy to know if it is awesome, or just average. ;)

icehog3
01-17-2014, 03:40 PM
Tigers sign Scherzer for 1 year, 15.5 million. Hope they intend locking him up a little longer term before he hits free agency.

shilala
01-17-2014, 03:45 PM
I got a push the other day that said Manny Machado's doc was releasing him to get back to baseball related activities.
Good for Manny. I felt awful for the poor kid.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Hoping Tanaka makes up his mind before the 24th.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/tanaka.html

AdamJoshua
01-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Lot's of hoping going on here, ok I hope that the Red Sox play those cute fuzzy wuzzle widdle Tigers again in the ALCS, plus Dan's, minus Uncle Bob. :r

I hear by dub it the Mac -n- Cheese series.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Well if the Sox land Tanaka, the other Sox probably won't be playing the Tigers in the ALCS;)

I stand by my original prediction, Tanaka will sign with a MLB team:D

icehog3
01-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Lot's of hoping going on here, ok I hope that the Red Sox play those cute fuzzy wuzzle widdle Tigers again in the ALCS, plus Dan's, minus Uncle Bob. :r

I hear by dub it the Mac -n- Cheese series.

PLEASE no Uncle Bob! :lr

Well if the Sox land Tanaka, the other Sox probably won't be playing the Tigers in the ALCS;)

I stand by my original prediction, Tanaka will sign with a MLB team:D

The WS are gonna need a WHOLE lot more than Tanaka to make the ALCS, Nate. :24

AdamJoshua
01-18-2014, 08:16 PM

That's a big "if" and big "probably" BOY, looks like we got here is a failure to communicate.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-18-2014, 08:29 PM
The WS are gonna need a WHOLE lot more than Tanaka to make the ALCS, Nate. :24

Tanaka makes us instant contenders for the Central imho. Our hitting can't do anything but improve after last year and the moves we've made so far this off season (Abreu, Eaton, Davidson). Hell, as long as we don't give ABs to Dung, we've improved:r (even better his money comes off the books after next year)The kid really does have insane stuff though, so adding him with Sale would be a very nice 1, 2 punch. Not saying it's a slam dunk, tell the Tigers to go home type of move, but it certainly gets us winning again. At the very least, we don't have to worry about Fielder in the Central anymore!

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-18-2014, 08:33 PM
That's a big "if" and big "probably" BOY, looks like we got here is a failure to communicate.

The if is big, not the probably though:D

icehog3
01-18-2014, 10:57 PM
Tanaka makes us instant contenders for the Central imho.

We can agree to disagree, My Brother. If the WS get Tanaka, perhaps we can even wager. ;)

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-18-2014, 11:05 PM
We can agree to disagree, My Brother. If the WS get Tanaka, perhaps we can even wager. ;)

It's likely the Sox don't get Tanaka, but say we do. How would you propose this wager work?

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Good riddance!
http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/241000231.html

icehog3
01-18-2014, 11:17 PM
It's likely the Sox don't get Tanaka, but say we do. How would you propose this wager work?

Team that wins the Central gets a 10 count box of regular production, i.e. Monte #2s or PSD4s. If neither team wins the division, we both get nothing and like it. :D

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-18-2014, 11:25 PM
Team that wins the Central gets a 10 count box of regular production, i.e. Monte #2s or PSD4s. If neither team wins the division, we both get nothing and like it. :D

I never said they would win the Central though, I said they'd be instant contenders:) I'll be down for some kind of a wager though if they get Tanaka. Maybe we could bet on if they can win 75-80 games??:r:r

icehog3
01-18-2014, 11:39 PM
75 or 80 wins don't make you a contender, Nate. :lr

The Poet
01-19-2014, 05:08 AM

They do in the Central. :D

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-19-2014, 10:50 AM

They don't but I like to win by large margins when I bet:D

icehog3
01-19-2014, 01:29 PM
They do in the Central. :D

OK, how about we bet the Tigers win 81? ;)

The Poet
01-19-2014, 01:49 PM
OK, how about we bet the Tigers win 81? ;)

Gee, you're willing to wager they can play .500 ball? Way to go out on a limb there! Be careful! :r

In all seriousness, I don't care if Detroit wins 40 games or 140 games. Why should I? They are not my team, and they are not in "my" division, so more (or less :D ) power to them.

Speaking of Gee, I saw Mac's Mets gave him a one-year deal for $3.625M . . . or more than 4 time less than Scherzer, and 8 times less than Kershaw. Not sure what that means, but I'm certain they are NOT 4 and 8 times better than is Dillon.

icehog3
01-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Follow the progression of the wager, Thomas, and you'll understand my post. ;)

The Poet
01-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Follow the progression of the wager, Thomas, and you'll understand my post. ;)

Oh, I understood it in context with the whole "competitive" issue with CWS . . . I just don't care to play in someone else's sandbox. Besides, I am heeding my own advise about not betting on baseball. When I give myself advise, I normally listen. :D

icehog3
01-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Oh, the voices in our heads..... :r

The Poet
01-22-2014, 08:44 AM
Tanaka to Yankees with 7-year, $155 M.

I'll let you know how I feel about that in three or four years.

Bruins Fan
01-22-2014, 11:40 AM

You forgot to add the 20 million posting fee.
So far the yanks have spent a half billion this off season...all I can say is WOW:r

The Poet
01-22-2014, 12:01 PM
The $20 M doesn't affect the salary cap and luxury tax issue, and so is only money . . . money that anybody else would have had to pony up also. And here you go again, with the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" dilemma that the Yankees face every time they are mentioned in ANY move. Had Tanaka signed exactly the same contract with the Dodgers (who are spending money at at least as great a rate as the Yanks), the talk would be that LA stole a march on NY and took away a key piece of their future potential.

You know, I don't mind people having an opinion . . . I just wish they'd pick ONE, and stick to it. :r

kelmac07
01-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Tanaka to the Yankees makes sense. He is a youngster and on top of his game...wants to play in the big lights (as he's grown accustomed to in Japan). Like my Mets had a chance anyways.

YankeeMan
01-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Hey, we can always hope. Still missing a few key pieces, but they're getting closer.

The Poet
01-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Tanaka to the Yankees makes sense. He is a youngster and on top of his game...wants to play in the big lights (as he's grown accustomed to in Japan). Like my Mets had a chance anyways.

Hey, we can always hope. Still missing a few key pieces, but they're getting closer.

As I said initially, I'll let you know my thoughts in a few years . . . except for these two words: Hideki Irabu.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Yanks overpaid for this one I think.:r

The Poet
01-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Yanks overpaid for this one I think.:r

I'm shocked you feel that way. ;)

icehog3
01-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Maybe the Tigers can use the money they saved by not signing Tanaka and get Prince back. ;) :r

Guess the WS aren't instant contenders, Nate. :)

The Poet
01-22-2014, 09:47 PM
Maybe the Tigers can use the money they saved by not signing Tanaka and get Prince back. ;) :r

And maybe they have a better chance of this than of getting Ty Cobb back. :D

icehog3
01-22-2014, 10:00 PM
And maybe they have a better chance of this than of getting Ty Cobb back. :D

Ty Cobb wanted to come back, but we all hated him when he was alive, so we told him to stick it. :r

AdamJoshua
01-22-2014, 10:01 PM
Yankees back to trying to buy a WS, I can only hope their latest purchase works out as good as Arod, Mark Teixeira, or any other number of high profile players they overpaid for and who have not lived up to the smallest of expectations.

On the flip side, the Red Sox signed Grady Sizemore, 750,000 base salary and a lot of incentives if he can stay off the operating table, this guy has had more surgeries than Frankenstein. Bradley Jr. still waiting in the wings, so it's not terrible.

icehog3
01-22-2014, 10:02 PM
On the flip side, the Red Sox signed Grady Sizemore, 750,000 base salary and a lot of incentives if he can stay off the operating table, this guy has had more surgeries than Frankenstein. Bradley Jr. still waiting in the wings, so it's not terrible.

I loved him on Sanford and Son! :noon

AdamJoshua
01-22-2014, 10:04 PM
I loved him on Sanford and Son! :noon

You big dummy!

:r

The Poet
01-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Yankees back to trying to buy a WS.

In 2013, the median salary for the Yankees was $2.425 million. In 2013, the median salary for the Red Sox was $3.6 million, or over a million dollars more.

Yeah, the Yankees try to buy championships. :r

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-23-2014, 08:35 PM

Guess the WS aren't instant contenders, Nate. :)

nope, we probably are still a 70-75 win team next year. Tanaka would have been nice, but I'm glad we didn't offer what the Yanks did. 7 years is too long imo.

icehog3
01-24-2014, 12:54 AM
nope, we probably are still a 70-75 win team next year. Tanaka would have been nice, but I'm glad we didn't offer what the Yanks did. 7 years is too long imo.

7 years as instant contenders, Nate! :)

The Poet
01-24-2014, 05:01 AM

Funny. There was a guy around here who looked a lot like you a while back, and he had no problem with a player 6 years older than Tanaka getting a 10-year contract, even to the point of scoffing when I suggested that a 7-year deal might have been better. Gee, I wish there was some way I could go back and re-read those posts to refresh my feeble memory.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-24-2014, 05:31 PM
Funny. There was a guy around here who looked a lot like you a while back, and he had no problem with a player 6 years older than Tanaka getting a 10-year contract, even to the point of scoffing when I suggested that a 7-year deal might have been better. Gee, I wish there was some way I could go back and re-read those posts to refresh my feeble memory.

Was he a pitcher?:rolleyes:

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-24-2014, 05:33 PM
7 years as instant contenders, Nate! :)

Not on the Yanks, and 7 years is too long for a pitcher.

icehog3
01-24-2014, 05:37 PM

Well, WS signed Ventura to a multiyear extension, that makes you instant what...mashed taters, maybe? :) ;s

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-24-2014, 05:40 PM
Well, WS signed Ventura to a multiyear extension, that makes you instant what...mashed taters, maybe? :) ;s

Don't like Ventura I see, shocking:r

icehog3
01-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Don't like Ventura I see, shocking:r

I liked Nolan Ryan giving him a noogie, Nate! :)

The Poet
01-24-2014, 08:28 PM

I agree. By the same token, 10 years was too long for Cano. Thus the only beef we have stems from your Yankee-hating bias, not from baseball realities.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-24-2014, 08:31 PM
I agree. By the same token, 10 years was too long for Cano. Thus the only beef we have stems from your Yankee-hating bias, not from baseball realities.

You didn't answer my question

The Poet
01-24-2014, 08:58 PM
You didn't answer my question

What question? Was Cano a pitcher? What the fark kind of question is that? Don't be obtuse in an attempt to avoid MY point. THAT is the question which is being ignored here, and it is starting to really piss me off. And avoiding my question by accusing me of avoiding your question REALLY pisses me off!

As I have said repeatedly, I have no problem with people having an opinion, but they need to pick one. For meaningful discussion it is best if said opinion is based upon facts, which in this case refers to baseball realities. Contradictory rants based upon prejudices do not constitute rational and logical discussion. I agreed with you that 7 years was too long for a pitcher, but it is no worse than committing $21 million to a 41-year-old infielder in 2024. You faulted the Yankees for being reluctant to do this, then turn around and fault them again for committing $22 million for a 32-year-old pitcher in 2021. And then you can't see any logical discrepancy in this attitude? Or are you just deliberately trying to get my goat, or simply have no valid thoughts to offer?

When I reported the signing of Tanaka, I made it plain I had no thoughts yet as to whether or not this was good for the Yankees. How could I . . . how could anyone . . . when the kid hasn't thrown a single pitch in the majors? This may turn out to be a disaster, but even if so it won't be the end of the world . . . not even for the Yankees, much less a literal end to all existence. I know this. I also know that, if he is anywhere near as good as people think he will be, he could very well earn that 7-year deal. One can hope, or, if one truly hates the Yanks that much, one can hope the opposite . . . as long as he admits it's out of hatred and poor sportsmanship. And THAT'S the question you keep dodging . . . namely, do you have any valid baseball thoughts to offer, or are you merely venting bilious spleen?

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-24-2014, 09:21 PM
What question? Was Cano a pitcher? What the fark kind of question is that? Don't be obtuse in an attempt to avoid MY point. THAT is the question which is being ignored here, and it is starting to really piss me off. And avoiding my question by accusing me of avoiding your question REALLY pisses me off!

As I have said repeatedly, I have no problem with people having an opinion, but they need to pick one. For meaningful discussion it is best if said opinion is based upon facts, which in this case refers to baseball realities. Contradictory rants based upon prejudices do not constitute rational and logical discussion. I agreed with you that 7 years was too long for a pitcher, but it is no worse than committing $21 million to a 41-year-old infielder in 2024. You faulted the Yankees for being reluctant to do this, then turn around and fault them again for committing $22 million for a 32-year-old pitcher in 2021. And then you can't see any logical discrepancy in this attitude? Or are you just deliberately trying to get my goat, or simply have no valid thoughts to offer?

When I reported the signing of Tanaka, I made it plain I had no thoughts yet as to whether or not this was good for the Yankees. How could I . . . how could anyone . . . when the kid hasn't thrown a single pitch in the majors? This may turn out to be a disaster, but even if so it won't be the end of the world . . . not even for the Yankees, much less a literal end to all existence. I know this. I also know that, if he is anywhere near as good as people think he will be, he could very well earn that 7-year deal. One can hope, or, if one truly hates the Yanks that much, one can hope the opposite . . . as long as he admits it's out of hatred and poor sportsmanship. And THAT'S the question you keep dodging . . . namely, do you have any valid baseball thoughts to offer, or are you merely venting bilious spleen?

Thomas, I don't have the time nor inclination to fully dispute you and your lousy attitude, but I will touch on a few points and hopefully be done. There is a significant difference between an infielder and a pitcher. Health and longevity are just 2 metrics one could use to place value on a particular contract. Just 2 but they are important. Maybe that's still "obtuse" for you.. Also, just a side note, but I can have any opinion I want about any contract I want, no matter what team it is. You seem to think you and your Yanks are sooo damn important that if anyone talks about them, you take it personally. You need to lighten up. Another point, you're immature comments about me merely venting or not offering any valid baseball thoughts are really cheap and simple minded, actually no, just plain asinine. Again, you really need to lighten up Thomas. I get the feeling you've been told that before too. I haven't personally attacked you so for you to do so was offensive and the easy way out. Grow up, lighten up, and be nice.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-24-2014, 10:54 PM
I thought I remembered you having a similar attitude... my memory is gooood:D

for the record, MLB 2012 thread, post #443

Originally Posted by The Poet
Jesus Christ, you guys are absolutely hopeless! Of course I root for the Yankees, and want them to win! But make up you damn mind, if you have one to make up! Do you want me to be wrong, just because the Yanks are my team? What nonsense is that? In your eyes, if the Yanks win it all, I and my fellow NY fans are all @$$holes. If NY loses, we are @$$holes who got what they deserved. Get over your damn selves, stop worring about what happens in The Bronx, and concentrate on winning your own damn games, instead of trying not to lose as many as the next guy, and backing into the playoffs!

Sheesh.

Sorry, but I can only take so much foolishness before I pop.

I'm logging off now, as I've had enough for one day. Bye.
__________________________________________________ ____________

My response, post #446:
I'm flattered you feel that I'm so concerned about your beloved Yanks.. not really.. Why don't you review what you've been posting recently in this thread? You are the one that is so damn worried about other teams like the Tigers and Sox... Take a chill pill, the Central is not taking any press away from the Yanks.. You're not going to lose any bandwagon fans because of the Central... Get over yourself and your team. For you to post such a crazy response is hard to understand, I mean, your team is making the postseason right?? Anyway, don't worry about what happens in the AL Central, Tom and I can take care of that for you Maybe you are just a bit worried about the Tigers walking on you guys again

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Garza news: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/all-parties-mum-on-potential-garza-deal?ymd=20140124&content_id=67095648&vkey=news_mlb

Not sure if the brew crew need him, I thought they were semi rebuilding?

icehog3
01-24-2014, 11:50 PM
Guys, please keep it on topic and not personal here on the Forum. If you guys feel the need to go for each other's jugulars, please head to PMs. :)

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-25-2014, 12:17 AM
I thought I remembered you having a similar attitude... my memory is gooood:D

for the record, MLB 2012 thread, post #443

Originally Posted by The Poet
Jesus Christ, you guys are absolutely hopeless! Of course I root for the Yankees, and want them to win! But make up you damn mind, if you have one to make up! Do you want me to be wrong, just because the Yanks are my team? What nonsense is that? In your eyes, if the Yanks win it all, I and my fellow NY fans are all @$$holes. If NY loses, we are @$$holes who got what they deserved. Get over your damn selves, stop worring about what happens in The Bronx, and concentrate on winning your own damn games, instead of trying not to lose as many as the next guy, and backing into the playoffs!

Sheesh.

Sorry, but I can only take so much foolishness before I pop.

I'm logging off now, as I've had enough for one day. Bye.

My response, post #446:
I'm flattered you feel that I'm so concerned about your beloved Yanks.. not really.. Why don't you review what you've been posting recently in this thread? You are the one that is so damn worried about other teams like the Tigers and Sox... Take a chill pill, the Central is not taking any press away from the Yanks.. You're not going to lose any bandwagon fans because of the Central... Get over yourself and your team. For you to post such a crazy response is hard to understand, I mean, your team is making the postseason right?? Anyway, don't worry about what happens in the AL Central, Tom and I can take care of that for you Maybe you are just a bit worried about the Tigers walking on you guys again

I should add that I couldn't directly quote the 2012 thread, it's locked. It's probably best to just go back and read the posts.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Guys, please keep it on topic and not personal here on the Forum. If you guys feel the need to go for each other's jugulars, please head to PMs. :)

Agreed:). I'm not after anyone's jugular though.

Mattso3000
01-25-2014, 12:30 AM
I liked Nolan Ryan giving him a noogie, Nate! :)
Nice. I just youtubed this at work tonight for one of my supervisors who had never seen it. Still love this...never gets old seeing Nolan put him in a headlock.:r

Bruins Fan
01-25-2014, 04:42 AM
Pitchers and catchers report in two week.
The WORLD CHAMPION Boston Red Sox will be looking to repeat :D

shilala
01-25-2014, 06:35 AM
I heard yesterday that Greg Maddux is going into the HOF as a no-logo. He can't decide whether to go in as a Brave or Cubbie. I started thinking about it on the way home yesterday, and I remember him playing, and marveling at his control, as a Brave. But when I see him in my head, he's wearing a Cubs hat.
Randy Johnson is up next year. I wonder what he'll do? He's as much a Diamondback as he is a Mariner, time split pretty much evenly, and his best stats as a Diamondback.
I don't see him as anything but a Mariner. Kinda the same as Maddux, but I'd understand if Maddux went in under the Braves logo. It wouldn't feel right if Johnson went in as a Diamondback.

Which begs the question, why can't guys go in under two logos? What the heck is the difference? Most guys finish their careers heavily weighted to one team, or they used to. Now it's not odd for a pitcher to see 10 teams in a career.
I just wondered what you guys thought?

icehog3
01-25-2014, 08:33 AM
Good points, Scott, I wouldn't have an issue with "dual citizenship" either.

I am most concerned with it wil be as a Cub, Yankee, Tiger, Brave, Royal, Ray, Blue Jay or Pirate when Kyle Farnsworth is inducted. :)

AdamJoshua
01-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Yah Kyle is a lock, he better start trying to decide now just so when the time comes he's ready and committed, well one of you should be committed. :D

Here is an interview that talks about about the process, too much to put here, no hijacking, but it's a combination of the HOF staff and researchers and then they have conversations with the player to make sure the player is ok with the choice. They talk about about Gary Carter not being happy with the HOF deciding he should go in representing the Expos.

Edit: forgot to link the interview, there goes my shot at the Hall. :sad:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/interview/090723

shilala
01-25-2014, 10:08 AM
I see why they can't do the dual citizenship thing, being there's a cast of them with the logo on their cap. It makes me wonder if anyone has entered with a no-logo?
Adam, go look that up. You're not doin anything.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-25-2014, 10:21 AM
I heard yesterday that Greg Maddux is going into the HOF as a no-logo. He can't decide whether to go in as a Brave or Cubbie. I started thinking about it on the way home yesterday, and I remember him playing, and marveling at his control, as a Brave. But when I see him in my head, he's wearing a Cubs hat.
Randy Johnson is up next year. I wonder what he'll do? He's as much a Diamondback as he is a Mariner, time split pretty much evenly, and his best stats as a Diamondback.
I don't see him as anything but a Mariner. Kinda the same as Maddux, but I'd understand if Maddux went in under the Braves logo. It wouldn't feel right if Johnson went in as a Diamondback.

Which begs the question, why can't guys go in under two logos? What the heck is the difference? Most guys finish their careers heavily weighted to one team, or they used to. Now it's not odd for a pitcher to see 10 teams in a career.
I just wondered what you guys thought?

I agree, two logos is better than not going in with any at all. Maddux needs to be a Cub and Brave

The Poet
01-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Scott, I read yesterday as part of that Maddux story that some players, faced with the same dilemma, have entered the HOF with no logo, but I don't remember which. I'll look and see if I can find it again.

The Poet
01-25-2014, 10:32 AM
According to the article on mlb.com, nine players are now in the HOF without logos: Yogi Berra, Catfish Hunter, Andy Cooper, Frank Grant, Pete Hill, Biz Mackey, Luis Santop, Ben Tayor, and Cristobal Torriente. New inductee Tony La Russa has also chosen to have no logo.

AdamJoshua
01-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Breaking down the Top 100 prospects, the Red Sox have more than any other team with 9, while the Yankees continue to try to buy players instead of have a good farm system have only 1 in the top 100.

Chad Finn has this to say: "Mookie Betts had an electrifying breakthrough to the point he might be the best second base prospect in the minors right now." Catcher prospect Blake Swihart is being favorably compared to Buster Posey, and third baseman prospect Garin Cecchini has been called a "future AL batting champion" by at least two farm system directors. Finally, the Red Sox have, according to Baseball America, "the deepest haul of pitching prospects in any team in the majors."

Life is good.

The Poet
01-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Breaking down the Top 100 prospects, the Red Sox have more than any other team with 9, while the Yankees continue to try to buy players instead of have a good farm system have only 1 in the top 100.

One of these days somebody will be able to say something positive about their team without simultaneously feeling the necessity to try to insult another team in the process. But evolution is slow, and mankind has a long way to go to reach enlightenment.

icehog3
01-26-2014, 08:30 PM
Buster Who? :lr

AdamJoshua
01-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Buster Who? :lr

Catcher / 1st Baseman for the SF Giants, from what I can see he's a .300 hitter, guess he has other tools though. (I didn't really get the comparison either but I suppose it's a compliment to him).

icehog3
01-27-2014, 07:37 AM
When they say he's the next Kyle Farnsworth, then I will be impressed. Kyle could catch almost as amazingly as he could pitch.

AdamJoshua
01-27-2014, 12:17 PM
When they say he's the next Kyle Farnsworth, then I will be impressed. Kyle could catch almost as amazingly as he could pitch.

Totally agree, Tom, I hear he has amazing range at short when he played for the Yankees, ok not amazing but better than Jeter. :r

Oh and TP it's called a rivalry.

Dave128
01-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Let's Go Mets!!

The Poet
01-27-2014, 12:40 PM
Totally agree, Tom, I hear he has amazing range at short when he played for the Yankees, ok not amazing but better than Jeter. :r

Oh and TP it's called a rivalry.

No, it's called a lack of class, which is what passes for sportsmanship in Boston. :r

AdamJoshua
01-27-2014, 12:41 PM
No, it's called a lack of class, which is what passes for sportsmanship in Boston. :r

Interesting comment.

pnoon
01-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Last warning, fellas. Keep it civil.

The Poet
01-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Last warning, fellas. Keep it civil.

I'd love to, Peter, if others would refrain from poking bears for no reason other than to poke bears. :r

pnoon
01-27-2014, 01:11 PM
I'd love to, Peter, if others would refrain from poking bears for no reason other than to poke bears. :r

Since you feel compelled to hash this out publicly, I will let you know that you are part of the problem. I can't be any more clear.

AdamJoshua
01-28-2014, 07:58 AM
Ortiz looking for a multi-year deal at 39, I can see one year + one or two(max) that are incentive heavy. Lester says he wants to come back and is willing to give a big hometown discount to stay in Boston like Dustin P. did, how can you not love guys like that?

With Grady Sizemore signed the Red Sox have assured themselves of selling many many more pink hats this season, there was some concern with Dreamboat (Ellsbury) leaving town to cash in that the pink hats would leave the team in droves without someone to replace him.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa471/AdamJoshua2011/pink_zpse9832364.jpg

AdamJoshua
01-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Damn good deal considering he's their #1 catcher.

The Detroit Tigers avoided arbitration with No. 1 catcher Alex Avila on Friday as he agreed to a one-year deal.

The deal is for $4.35 million, sources said, and has a $5.4 million option for 2015, which triggers if Avila is selected to the All-Star team or makes the top 10 in MVP or Silver Slugger voting in 2014.

ChicagoWhiteSox
01-31-2014, 09:37 PM
Damn good deal considering he's their #1 catcher.

Lol of course it's hard to bail on the tigers

AdamJoshua
01-31-2014, 09:53 PM
Lol of course it's hard to bail on the tigers

Yah I would have to say if I was catching that staff I'd do it for rent and 2 meals a day. :r

icehog3
02-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Squid for brunch, and pancakes for dinner.

The Poet
02-01-2014, 10:37 AM

Nah, in the majors it's calamari and crepes.

AdamJoshua
02-01-2014, 01:43 PM

and I'd skip brunch.

ChicagoWhiteSox
02-02-2014, 08:33 PM
ST where you at?

AdamJoshua
02-02-2014, 08:36 PM
NESN has a count down to Moving Truck Day, the day they pack up the gear and head south for ST, it's practically a holiday in Boston with all the news outlets covering it live and 100s of people show up to send off the trucks.

ChicagoWhiteSox
02-02-2014, 08:41 PM
NESN has a count down to Moving Truck Day, the day they pack up the gear and head south for ST, it's practically a holiday in Boston with all the news outlets covering it live and 100s of people show up to send off the trucks.

You ever head to FL to games? Wish I had time to fly to AZ to watch the the White Sox. Warm weather, baseball, mini vaca sounds nice right about now.

AdamJoshua
02-03-2014, 03:02 PM
You ever head to FL to games? Wish I had time to fly to AZ to watch the the White Sox. Warm weather, baseball, mini vaca sounds nice right about now.

Grew up in Satellite Beach for years and years the Dodgers and a few other teams all had spring training right around us, one year we went and saw the Dodgers in ST, i have an old polaroid of me and Sandy K and a ball he signed for me, and that was WAY back when.

AdamJoshua
02-05-2014, 04:16 PM
https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1661844_471305336325237_1971364760_n.jpg

AdamJoshua
02-08-2014, 01:51 AM
I guess no one was buying his story so he finally gave up.

NEW YORK -- Suspended New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez abandoned his fight against Major League Baseball on Friday, dropping his lawsuit for tortious interference in U.S. District Court in Manhattan. Rodriguez also withdrew lawsuits against commissioner Bud Selig and the Major League Baseball Players Association, ending his battle to overturn an unprecedented 211-game suspension in connection with baseball's Biogenesis investigation that was reduced last month to 162 games plus the 2014 playoffs by arbitrator Fredric Horowitz.[

02-11-2014, 01:47 PM
bishes

AdamJoshua
02-11-2014, 01:54 PM
So close to games …. I can barely contain myself.

http://www.bitstorm.org/happyjoy/ren-n-stimpy.gif

mahtofire14
02-11-2014, 02:40 PM
I'm with you. There isn't much better time of year than Spring Training. Just hoping my Twins can find the .500 mark this year.

02-12-2014, 11:28 AM
1 more day until Tigers pitchers and catchers report. Got word a couple days ago Miggy's already in Lakeland.

icehog3
02-12-2014, 01:22 PM
1 more day until Tigers pitchers and catchers report. Got word a couple days ago Miggy's already in Lakeland.

Boozin' it up? :lr

ChicagoWhiteSox
02-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Getting close.. :tu

02-17-2014, 10:35 AM
I heard on the way in that position players report this morning. :wo

AdamJoshua
02-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Whoo hooo Sox beat the college team they played in S.T. ... hey it's a start, they are on the road to defending their championship! :r

AdamJoshua
03-04-2014, 10:46 AM
A much slimmer papi and his hardware

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t31/1913507_10153927812250457_18926809_o.jpg

Dave128
03-04-2014, 10:50 AM
:pu

(;s) :D

icehog3
03-04-2014, 01:39 PM
:pu

I guess I'm glad I can't see it at work? :r

03-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Verlander's first start of the spring was cancelled due to rain. They did not push the rotation back so Sanchez is going today. Guess Justin did a bullpen session in the underground cage or something.

AdamJoshua
03-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Oh you have to love Scott Bor-ass, at least if you are a player you know he's going to get himself every dime possible, i mean you, he's going to get you ever dime possible.

"The Detroit Tigers have made a substantial, long-term contract extension offer to Max Scherzer that would have placed him among the highest-paid pitchers in baseball, and the offer was rejected," the team said in a statement.

Bor-ass's statement

"Max Scherzer made a substantial long-term contract extension offer to the Detroit Tigers that would have placed him among the highest-paid pitchers in baseball, and the offer was rejected by Detroit,'' Boras said.

Basically not even acknowledging the Tiger's offer in his statement that looks strikingly similar to the Tigers'.

03-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Rumor has it he rejected a 6 year/$144 Million contract aka $24 Million/year x 6 years.

icehog3
03-31-2014, 02:13 PM
Alex Gonzalez gets the game winning RBI in his first game as a Tiger. Mike brought us luckl! :D

03-31-2014, 02:46 PM
Just sat down to eat after watching the Tigers win their opener in dramatic fashion. 58 degrees, sunny, and a win. Can't beat that for openng day.

icehog3
03-31-2014, 05:09 PM
Just sat down to eat after watching the Tigers win their opener in dramatic fashion. 58 degrees, sunny, and a win. Can't beat that for openng day.

Alex Gonzalez! VMart! :wo

04-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Tigers get their 2nd win in a row, both in walk-off fashion. Today's game was postponed however.

AdamJoshua
04-05-2014, 11:51 AM
I would like to take time to thank the Tigers for making it possible for David Ortiz to receive this from the Red Sox.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10155772_842870912393785_1465703520_n.jpg

icehog3
04-05-2014, 09:36 PM
I would like to take this 17 seconds to say "you're welcome" to Adam. That was my only goal here. Often there can be two goals in 17 seconds, but this time I had only one. :D

AdamJoshua
04-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Two words we all know so well.

Rask sucks.

The Poet
04-06-2014, 02:45 PM
With two hits today in a 6-4 win over the Blue Jays up in Toronto, Derek Jeter passes Paul Molitor to take over the 8th spot in all-time hits, with 3320 total. A hundred more in this his last season would put him over Carl Yastrzemski (3419) for 7th place, and put him within reach of Honus Wagner (3430).

CRIMPS
04-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Yu and Cobb were DEALING!!! Fantastic pitching duel today.

kelmac07
04-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Time to start voting for your All Stars. I can't remember it being this early. Hell, they've only played 22 games. Guess that benefits the Charlie Blackmons in the league. :D

icehog3
04-25-2014, 02:02 PM
I'll vote for Detroit's bullpen for the "Most Pitiful Excuse for a Bullpen Award", third year running.... :hn

kelmac07
04-25-2014, 02:06 PM
I'll vote for Detroit's bullpen for the "Most Pitiful Excuse for a Bullpen Award", third year running.... :hn

Sorry Tom, gotta get in line behind my Mets bullpen and our closer by "whoever the hell can throw straight today". :D

icehog3
04-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Sorry Tom, gotta get in line behind my Mets bullpen and our closer by "whoever the hell can throw straight today". :D

Don't we have an AL and an NL award, Mac? :D :wnr :r

The Poet
04-26-2014, 10:03 AM
I gotta go with Mac on this one, 'hog. Word up here is the Mets are gonna rename their bullpen Gasoline Alley. :D

kelmac07
04-26-2014, 10:13 AM
Don't we have an AL and an NL award, Mac? :D :wnr :r

Winner, winner, chicken parm dinner. :noon :noon

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-26-2014, 10:24 AM

Tom, you haven't been watching the South Siders this year then.:r:r

04-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Funny thing to me was finding out last year that former Tiger Jason "Gas Can" Grilli was one of the top relievers in the bigs last year. Unreal. Check out his numbers with the Tig's.

Milvel
04-30-2014, 11:17 AM
What a clutch bunt...

The Poet
05-05-2014, 03:58 PM
A Bronx street near Yankee Stadium has had its name changed from River Avenue with the addition of a second "a", making it into Rivera Avenue.

Nice save. :tu

AdamJoshua
05-24-2014, 11:19 PM
RedSox suck, that is all, carry on. :r

jonumberone
05-26-2014, 06:23 AM
RedSox suck, that is all, carry on. :r

Everybody sucks!
I think MLB has achieved NFL like parity.
Practically no one is running away with the division.
This is likely going to kill the trade deadline moves, IMO.

I don't know what I hate more; the shift or players who refuse to go the other way and beat it.

CigarSquid
05-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Tom, series in Oakland.. I believe this is a 4 game series. A's played like crap recently.

icehog3
05-26-2014, 08:21 PM
Yeah, Tigers too. Lost 6 of 7 going in, and got trounced by the A's today.

The Poet
05-27-2014, 10:32 AM
Watch your backs! Red Sox win a game. :D

CigarSquid
06-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Tom, series in Oakland.. I believe this is a 4 game series. A's played like crap recently.

Yeah, Tigers too. Lost 6 of 7 going in, and got trounced by the A's today.

So the series was a wash. I think Oakland goes to Detroit at the end of the month..

Wager back on?:r:gary

icehog3
06-03-2014, 04:50 PM
So the series was a wash. I think Oakland goes to Detroit at the end of the month..

Wager back on?:r:gary

Regular season? Maybe, let's chat before the series. :)

ChicagoWhiteSox
06-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Pretty happy with the Sox grabbing Rodon and Adams in the draft. Rodon should be a very nice addition to our starting staff down the road.

06-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Tiger's have been on a massive skid. Nothing like the Red Sox coming to town to break us out of the funk. Should have swept but after losing something like 14 of 17, I'll take a 2 of 3 and a series win.

CRIMPS
06-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Kicks to the groin keep coming for the Rangers. The fact that they are hovering around .500 is a minor miracle.

Third string 2B and fifth string 1B right now. 1B DL is comical:
Prince Fielder
Kevin Kouzmanoff
Mitch Moreland
Kim Adduci

icehog3
06-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Heading to Cellular for Tigers-White Sox Wednesday, wanted to go Tues or Thurs (Verlander and Scherzer), but I have hockey games both nights.

Coach Deg
06-10-2014, 05:58 AM
How about Lonnie Baseball last night? 3hrs 5hits 9RBI only 4th time in 100yrs!

06-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Heading to Cellular for Tigers-White Sox Wednesday, wanted to go Tues or Thurs (Verlander and Scherzer), but I have hockey games both nights.

I hope they pull it together and give you a good game to watch Tom. They have been terrible lately. It's so strange. It's not like one or two guys are struggling, it's all of them. JV, Max, AJ, Hunter, Kinsler, everyone's in a funk at the same time. They need to snap out of it. :sl

jonumberone
06-18-2014, 04:51 AM
Coach Deg was in town and invited me out to the Stadium yesterday for Tanaka Tuesday.
First pitch HR to Reyes and the roughest inning I've seen him have all season had me feeling like The Mush.
Glad he was able to settle down, and the Yanks were able to get a win.

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab234/jonumberone/C08DEC9C-CAC2-4C79-B2FB-6F1018C87E95_zpsdevtzlg8.jpg

kelmac07
06-18-2014, 06:11 AM
Great stuff right there...especially the Reyes HR. :tu :tu

Dave128
06-18-2014, 08:01 AM
Great stuff right there...especially the Reyes HR. :tu :tu

:r

The Poet
06-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Reyes, Reyes . . . name sounds familiar. Didn't he used to play in the cellar? :confused:

icehog3
06-18-2014, 10:29 AM
Royals win their 9th in a row to take over 1st from the Tigers, whose two aces were shelled on consecuive nights. Glad it's only June.

Dave128
06-18-2014, 10:32 AM
As a mets fan I can say/ask - F$ck, it's only June?!

The Poet
06-18-2014, 10:40 AM
As a mets fan I can say/ask - F$ck, it's only June?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQpiv2vNmV8

;)

Dave128
06-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Aint no cure for the Mets......

The Poet
06-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Carlos Beltran had his first signature moment as a Yankee last night when he belted a 3-run dinger with 2 out in the 9th to steal one from Baltimore 5-3.

I'm not expecting the same today.

icehog3
06-22-2014, 08:07 PM
Tigers looked better at the plate this weekend, but their bullpen continues to suck donkey balls. If they had a bullpen, they would run away with the Central. With their current bullpen, might be a 3 or 4 team race in September.

jonumberone
06-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Just submitted my All Star Ballots.
I voted for Derek Jeter because I'm a homer.
And I voted for Carlos Beltran and Ike Davis to piss off Mac. :D

The Poet
06-25-2014, 07:37 AM

That's mean. That's just nasty. I would never do that.

I voted for R. A. Dickey . . . he actually HELPED the Mets while there.

kelmac07
06-25-2014, 08:04 AM
Just submitted my All Star Ballots.
I voted for Derek Jeter because I'm a homer.

:bh :bh (for Beltran/Ike vote). I know this is his last year, but do you truly believe he deserves to start?? I got it that no other AL shortstop is tearing it up this year (which helps grease the skids), but Jeter's numbers are Ike Davis like this year. :r

That's mean. That's just nasty. I would never do that.

I voted for R. A. Dickey . . . he actually HELPED the Mets while there.

Very true Thomas.

GTsetGO
06-25-2014, 01:55 PM
had a good extended weekend in Baltimore. Saw Chris Davis knock the walk-off homer on Monday.

got to the ballpark early

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/gtsetgo/Luke%20Robert/20140623_172732_zps45ci1alk.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/gtsetgo/Luke%20Robert/20140623_185706_zpsxxtqvowo.jpg

My little guy still isn't a fan of the mascots.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/gtsetgo/Luke%20Robert/20140623_185749_zpsa2tnyo5o.jpg

Steve Pearce was cool enough to sign Luke's Hat

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/gtsetgo/Luke%20Robert/20140623_190036_zpsozvqkmnn.jpg

GTsetGO
06-25-2014, 01:58 PM
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/gtsetgo/Luke%20Robert/20140623_210301_zpslol5zq5o.jpg

Little guy loves his baseball. 2 years old and will sit through an entire game.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/gtsetgo/Luke%20Robert/20140623_202327_zpsizzr5vhq.jpg
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/gtsetgo/Luke%20Robert/20140623_201404_zpsuxk2nox6.jpg

kelmac07
06-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Very cool...thanks for sharing Rob.

icehog3
06-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Some great shots, Rob! :D

The Poet
07-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Derek Jeter has three hits in today's 9-7 victory over the Twinkies. His single in the 9th was his 3400th hit, making him one of only 8 players to reach that mark. It is unlikely he will get the 115 more to reach Tris Speaker at #5, but barring injury he should surpass both Carl Yastrzemski (3419) and Honus Wagner (3430) to secure the 6th all-time spot.

Discounting A-Rod and Pudge, neither of whom is actually playing yet who are both still considered "active" by MLB, the nearest truly active player to Jeets is teammate Ichiro Suzuki (2794 in MLB). As that ageing player is unlikely to get many hundred more, just as the next "active" players Johnny Damon (2769) and Manny Ramirez (2574) shan't, and the next on the list, Adrian Beltre (2520) and Bobby Abreu (2465) are also getting rather long in the tooth, this brings us down to Albert Pujols (2439). He may still hang around long enough to approach or surpass the 3000-mark, even by a good amount, but we also need to accept the possibility that none of us will live to see another hitter reach the plateau Derek Jeter did today.

Think about that when you're baitching about him starting in the All-Star Game next week. :D

dman4505
07-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Looks like the A's just beefed up their pitching staff thanks to my beloved Cubbies. Good luck to Smardjz and Hammel.

Don

icehog3
07-06-2014, 11:49 PM
but we also need to accept the possibility that none of us will live to see another hitter reach the plateau Derek Jeter did today.

Think about that when you're baitching about him starting in the All-Star Game next week. :D

Congrats to Jeter, a class act and great ballplayer.

But to your hypothesis, I have just 2 words.....Miguel Cabrera. ;) :)

Looks like the A's just beefed up their pitching staff thanks to my beloved Cubbies. Good luck to Smardjz and Hammel.

Don

Smardjz had a nice first outting as an A tonight. :tu

kelmac07
07-07-2014, 06:26 AM
Pretty happy with the All Star Team selections.

dman4505
07-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Samardzija misses out on the All-Star game due to trade....kinda sucks.
Hope he gets better run support with the A's than he did with the Cubs.
First outing went pretty good.

Now if the Cubs would quit rebuilding every year they just might make the playoffs again.

Don

The Poet
07-07-2014, 09:50 AM
But to your hypothesis, I have just 2 words.....Miguel Cabrera. ;) :)

You could be right, Tom. But with all due respect to both you and Cabrera, your postulate opposing my hypothesis presupposes much. At present, Miguel ranks #228 on the hits list, with 2095. He just turned 31, and discounting his 3 years in the minors he is playing in his 12th season already. To date, he has missed no time to major injuries, yet we cannot assume he shall continue with such good fortune.

I wish him, and his fans, all good luck in his pursuit of the lofty status you propose, yet were I a betting man I'd offer odds against it.

icehog3
07-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Salutations, Thomas, and my sincere atonement for any anguish my hypothetical contributions have engendered. I am a betting man, yet I hesitate to offer a wager, as I quite possibly may be deceased when Miguel overtakes Mr. Jeter on the list. I regret that I have but one life to give for my Tigers.

The Poet
07-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Brother, I hope you live far beyond Cabrera's retirement, be that next week or next decade. Me, I'm shocked every morning I manage to awaken.

icehog3
07-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks Thomas, I want to enjoy a few years of pension payments, anyway. :r

AdamJoshua
07-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Fan suing ESPN announcers for 10 million dollars for defamation. Seems they showed him sleeping on camera and Kruk and Shulman were calling him "fatty" among other things on camera during the broadcast. I don't know about suing for 10 million bucks, but I've never heard announcers rag on someone on camera, that's actually pretty shocking. Specially coming from Kruk who isn't exactly brilliant or a size 34... seems fatty is going after everyone. If he's that embarrassed maybe he should hit the gym, hell I have been every day since seeing socal pics :r :r :r

Rector also named ESPN, Major League Baseball, and the Yankees as defendants.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/25958358/sleeping-yankees-fan-sues-team-and-tv-announcers-for-10-million

The Poet
07-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Rector also named ESPN, Major League Baseball, and the Yankees as defendants.

I can understand naming ESPN in the suit, but how is MLB or the Yankees libel? Or why not the Red Sox also? And what sort of guy, idiot or not, pays good money to watch Yankees/Red Sox just to fall asleep in the 4th with the game 2-1?

AdamJoshua
07-12-2014, 11:39 PM
I believe it was a Yankees home game, maybe the ushers were suppose to keep him awake or something :r

icehog3
07-13-2014, 12:44 AM
Tigers on a tear, 3 out of 3 so far to push the Royals 7 1/2 back. Finishing the sweep tomorrow would put them in command of a so-so ALC.

The Poet
07-13-2014, 10:22 AM
I believe it was a Yankees home game, maybe the ushers were suppose to keep him awake or something :r

It was at The Stadium, and if Michael Kay on YES, or John Sterling on the Yankee radio broadcast, been the culprit I could see some culpability issue for the home team. But how can they, or MLB, be held responsible for comments made by ESPN employees?

Or maybe the Red Sox could be held responsible, as they have been so boring this season . . . on the field, anyway. :D

07-14-2014, 07:33 AM
Tig's lost the sweep. Still, good to see them playing well going into the break.

I think that suing fan is going overboard but I'm guessing the reason the team is included is they likely own and lease out the rights to broadcast each home game. Not sure how MLB fits in unless they grant each team broadcast rights or if MLB gets a piece of broadcast profits for profit sharing purposes. I suppose he could argue each hand in the profit cookie-jar is benefiting from his belittlement on-air.

The Poet
07-14-2014, 11:35 AM
RE2PECT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X03_bNuihLU

AdamJoshua
07-20-2014, 03:53 PM
This is crazy Jackie Bradley Jr. throwing a ball from home plate over the center field wall, over 400 feet. I'd be pissed if I was the team, can you imagine him tearing something in his arm doing this?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/20/video-jackie-bradley-jr-throws-ball-over-fenway-parks-center-field-wall-from-home-plate/

07-23-2014, 07:29 AM
As the broadcaster said: "You could throw your aaaahhhmmmm out"

icehog3
07-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Tigers' bullpen blows another one. :hn

AdamJoshua
07-28-2014, 09:51 AM
Two good sports with a lot of class. Love that there was someone honest enough to turn over the ring, let's face it business owners or not there's a lot of scumbags in the world and love that the Red Sox are inviting him to Fenway to see Captain Intangibles final game.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11274707/new-york-yankees-fan-returns-lost-boston-red-sox-title-ring

The Poet
07-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Two good sports with a lot of class. Love that there was someone honest enough to turn over the ring, let's face it business owners or not there's a lot of scumbags in the world and love that the Red Sox are inviting him to Fenway to see Captain Intangibles final game.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11274707/new-york-yankees-fan-returns-lost-boston-red-sox-title-ring

Nice story, and good result on both sides. Let's hope it is a good game up in Fenway.

BTW, The Captain is two away from tying Yaz for #7 all-time in hits. :D

CigarSquid
07-28-2014, 11:37 AM
Tigers' bullpen blows another one. :hn

I was really pulling for the Tigers in this series against the Angels.

AdamJoshua
07-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Nice story, and good result on both sides. Let's hope it is a good game up in Fenway.

BTW, The Captain is two away from tying Yaz for #7 all-time in hits. :D

That's awesome

The Poet
07-28-2014, 03:18 PM
That's awesome

Over the past Hall Of Fame weekend, Tom Seaver opined about Jeter and the HoF. Tom Terrific presently holds the highest percentage of votes ever for election at 98.84%. Supposedly it would have been higher, but three voters submitted blank ballots in protest of Pete Rose's exclusion from the ballot . . . just one more reason I dislike Charlie Hustle. Anyhoo, Seaver expressed his belief that Jeets would be the first unanimous vote-getter to be elected to Cooperstown.

As much as I like Jeter, and respect Seaver, I disagree.

Hey, Mo will be eligible one year earlier than Jeets. :r

icehog3
07-28-2014, 05:50 PM
I like Charlie Hustle, and hate Tom Seaver.

OK, I don't hate Seaver, I just feel like being argumentative. But I really do like Pete Rose. Realy, honest.

icehog3
07-31-2014, 03:22 PM
Tigers try to keep pace with the A's staff by adding David Price. They know have the last three AL Cy Young winners on their staff, although Verlander is having a rough year.

Hate to see Austin Jackson go, he found his stroke again the last 6 weeks and has been on fire. Guess you gotta give something to get something.

The Poet
07-31-2014, 04:00 PM
You got a nice pitcher with Price, Tom.

Wonder when folks will start slamming Detroit for "buying a pennant"? ;)

pnoon
07-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Not to mention the Dodgers.
Posted via Mobile Device

kelmac07
07-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Tigers scored BIG TIME...but you're gonna miss Jackson.

icehog3
07-31-2014, 08:22 PM
Tigers scored BIG TIME...but you're gonna miss Jackson.

The way he swung the bat in July, we will miss AJ big time....and as good as Price is, unless he pitches all complete games, we didn't solve our biggest problem. :2

08-04-2014, 07:02 AM
The way he swung the bat in July, we will miss AJ big time....and as good as Price is, unless he pitches all complete games, we didn't solve our biggest problem. :2

Agreed, but I like our 4 man playoff rotation, Scherzer, Price, Verlander, Sanchez, with Porcello moving to the pen. They did pickup Soria prior. True they will miss AJ, but they weren't likely to pay him what he wants after 2015 anyway.

icehog3
08-04-2014, 10:13 AM
True about having Porcello and Soria in the pen for playoffs, almost a shame to have Porcello out of the rotation wth the season he's having.

Tigers - Yankees on ESPN tonight, should be a fun series. Wish I could see tomorrow's game on TV, I'd like to see Price's first start.

GTsetGO
08-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Went to watch the Orioles/Mariners game yesterday. Good times again.

GO O's.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn286/gtsetgo/Luke%20Robert/20140803_1237450_zpstgqxcwzr.jpg

kelmac07
08-04-2014, 05:45 PM
This just in...Mets still suck. :D

ChicagoWhiteSox
08-04-2014, 06:26 PM
You got a nice pitcher with Price, Tom.

Wonder when folks will start slamming Detroit for "buying a pennant"? ;)

Tigers are just buying a pennant.. But at least they don't do it as much as the Yanks:D:cf1