PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth radio?

larryinlc
01-09-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm looking for a bluetooth radio. I've found many with bluetooth that can access my pc, but I would like to have one that would allow me to use bluetooth headphones through the radio. I don't want to to hook my phones up wired. Is there such a radio or mini hifi? Maybe a stand alone receiver that can access streaming audio but also can allow bluetooth devices paired to the receiver? Is there such a thing? I can't seem to find anything that will do what I want it to do.

Larry

CigarNut
01-09-2014, 08:08 PM
There are a number of apps that will allow you to listen to radio from a smartphone, where you can then use your Bluetooth headset. I do this all the time.

I used to use a general app for this, but my favorite stations now have their own apps so I use them. The one catch is that these apps along with the Bluetooth drain the battery.

jledou
01-10-2014, 04:41 AM
I don't know that I have seen any receivers that push Bluetooth. It seems like there are receivers that are set to accept it and speakers that receive from phones, tablets and computers.

shilala
01-10-2014, 08:34 AM
I thought the Squeezebox or Logitech UE had bluetooth, but I don't think they do.
Try this link (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=wireless%20internet%20radio%20bluetooth), Larry.
There are all kinds of wireless internet radios with bluetooth, but they seem to be for pairing with a phone to play content, like Jay said. I didn't look very far, though.

I do exactly what Michael mentioned. Bluetooth laptop, Motorola Rokr bluetooth headphones out in the shop.
You could do what you want with an ipad, smartphone, old iphone, ipod touch, whatever.

If my laptop didn't already have bluetooth, I'd buy a bluetooth usb dongle and a pair of headphones at Amazon. Probably around 50 bucks.

larryinlc
01-10-2014, 09:42 AM
I think I may have found a solution. The real reason I was considering a Bluetooth radio option is so I could have audio control over my Bluetooth headphones. As it stands now, any Bluetooth phones will work, but I can't change the sound settings such as bass and treble. I would like to utilize the Realtek audio program within my computer and have graphic equalizer control. This option only works with hard wired speakers or headphones plugged directly into the 3.5mm jack. I have found that Sennheiser makes some wireless headphones using Kleer technology which is an uncompressed audio format. The great thing about this is the transmitter plugs directly into the 3.5mm headphone jack, so in theory, this should allow me to use Realteks' graphic equalizer. I might give this a shot.

I like to fiddle. I like to adjust the sound to my own liking.

Larry

jledou
01-10-2014, 11:07 AM
If it is just a matter of going from Bluetooth on your computer to your headphones you should be able to find a usb Bluetooth transmitter. I know Creative has them to go along with their Bluetooth speakers.

larryinlc
01-10-2014, 12:58 PM
If it is just a matter of going from Bluetooth on your computer to your headphones you should be able to find a usb Bluetooth transmitter. I know Creative has them to go along with their Bluetooth speakers.

Bluetooth is not the problem. It works fine now. However, bluetooth will not utilize the built in functionality of the onboard sound card. What I'm after is the usage of sound enhancement such as the graphic equalizer, but this will only work if the speakers or headphones are hardwired. Or, as I've mentioned, I'm going to try the kleer approach since this (wireless transmitter) plugs directly into the 3.5mm jack. It should work. Hopefully.

shilala
01-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Larry, I have Realtek on my computer.
I also have a set of Sennheiser HDR-170's I use on the tv.
I also have cigars and beer.
Come on over and we'll see what's what. :tu

larryinlc
01-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Larry, I have Realtek on my computer.
I also have a set of Sennheiser HDR-170's I use on the tv.
I also have cigars and beer.
Come on over and we'll see what's what. :tu

Hey, that sounds like a great idea. Tell me, how do you like the 170's? I'm trying to decide between those and the 180's which will not seal out ambient noise. The 170's are bit cheaper.

shilala
01-11-2014, 09:05 AM
I love them. I can't imagine how they'd get better, but I'm not an extreme audiophile, either. I just know they're awesome.
Stephen from here has a set, too.

You cost me 130 bucks, by the way. I had to get Weeze that Logitech UE Internet Radio (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-UE-Smart-Radio-Black/dp/B008X1BV9M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1389455823&sr=8-3&keywords=logitech+ue) I saw when I was rooting for a solution for ya. Bastage. ;)

You can certainly use them with Realtek, once I got thinking. It's no different than sticking anything else in the headphone jack, and I was messing with settings just a couple days ago. :tu

larryinlc
01-11-2014, 06:03 PM
The fact that I can use them and utilize Realtek sealed the deal for me. Thanks for checking this out for me. I did go a little cheaper by ordering the Sennheiser RS 160 for 129.00. I didn't really need the extra range or the dock and the reviews I read sounded like they all have similar sound signatures. These should be great.

Larry

larryinlc
01-19-2014, 09:02 AM
Wow! These Sennheiser 160's are good. To me, as good as my old Sennheiser wired 570's. My only other headphones are Klipsch Image One Bluetooth. They are pure crap compared to the other two. Very muffled and flat like a cheap radio. Realtek works beautifully too. Best 128.00 I've spent lately.

Larry