PDA

View Full Version : Starting on a new slope

Dude Here
01-06-2014, 08:23 PM
I've been tossing around the idea of pipe smoking for about a month or so and today I decided to just take the plunge.

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz206/samagdaleno/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf3a1f78b.jpg (http://s828.photobucket.com/user/samagdaleno/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf3a1f78b.jpg.html)

Hit up a local pipe shop here in the Austin area and walked out with what you see above. Pipe is a MM and tobacco is a burley blend called "senator". The guy at the shop was SUPER helpful and I'm currently sitting in my garage enjoying my first ever bowl. Lots of re-lights and some tongue bite here and there but so far it's been great. I think I'm gonna really enjoy this new slide.

big_jaygee
01-06-2014, 08:27 PM
enjoy Steve :tu

i have been known to pull out my cobb every now and then.

Remo
01-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Cool, I have no idea about pipes but enjoy!

Dude Here
01-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Cool, I have no idea about pipes but enjoy!

Lol, I don't either!

RevSmoke
01-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Pipes are a great thing. Enjoy the new slope.

OnePyroTec
01-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Welcome to the pipe club :we

A little tongue bite is not so bad, just slow down a bit. Looks like you got bulk tobacco so dry it for a while before you load your bowl. It should help with the burn issues and the bite.

BTW, REAL tongue bite from a pipe HURTS a lot...more than an actual bite from your teeth.

IMHO a cob is the best way to start. If you plan on smoking a pipe often, you will want more than one pipe or cob just so you can let it dry out between smokes. For the money, these would be the best investment you can make. http://corncobpipe.com/10-pipe-grab-bag-of-smokable-seconds.html :2

Col. Kurtz
01-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Good luck! I'm but a few weeks down that path myself. The pipers here flatten out the learning curve a lot.

Be warned: you'll spend a lot of time on tobacco reviews and eBay.

MUNKY
01-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Awesome!

Dude Here
01-08-2014, 12:33 PM
Awesome!

I know, right?!

Had another smoke last night and things went a lot smoother. Only about three re-lights and no bite while doing it. Gonna let my pipe rest for a few days and light up a see-gar tonight. Thinking about taking a ride to the B&M for a tin of something else to try on my days off. :noon

equetefue
01-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Cant wait to start as well Steve. Support system brother. :h5

MUNKY
01-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Cant wait to start as well Steve. Support system brother. :h5

Tic Toc :banger

MUNKY
01-08-2014, 08:57 PM
I know, right?!

Had another smoke last night and things went a lot smoother. Only about three re-lights and no bite while doing it. Gonna let my pipe rest for a few days and light up a see-gar tonight. Thinking about taking a ride to the B&M for a tin of something else to try on my days off. :noon

Hold that thought...

Huge pointer, after packing complete dry puff your pipe to check your pack prior to lighting :tu

Dude Here
01-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Hold that thought...

Huge pointer, after packing complete dry puff your pipe to check your pack prior to lighting :tu

Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna try the Frank method for my next smoke and see how that does.

Islayphile
01-09-2014, 10:14 AM
Welcome!

It's nice here on the slope

:adam