PDA

View Full Version : Mexico and cell phones

markem
12-30-2013, 01:13 PM
We will be in Cabo San Lucas at the south end of the Baja peninsula in a couple of weeks. We use ATT for our cell phones. I have a need to be able to receive calls at my cell number. ATT has a Mexico plan that I can add to my service and I thought I'd see if anyone has used it or knows of an alternative that lets people call me and such. The plan is to only activate the Mexico plan for a month.

Suggestions?

Lockspur
12-30-2013, 01:21 PM
We will be in Cabo San Lucas at the south end of the Baja peninsula in a couple of weeks. We use ATT for our cell phones. I have a need to be able to receive calls at my cell number. ATT has a Mexico plan that I can add to my service and I thought I'd see if anyone has used it or knows of an alternative that lets people call me and such. The plan is to only activate the Mexico plan for a month.

Suggestions?

You should be able to switch to the Mexico plan for as long as your over there. Once you get back, have them switch you back. We do that all the time at my job.

markem
12-30-2013, 01:22 PM
You should be able to switch to the Mexico plan for as long as your over there. Once you get back, have them switch you back. We do that all the time at my job.

Thanks, Scottie!

shilala
12-30-2013, 02:28 PM
I did this once when I went to Dominican, and I think I had to call ahead of time and schedule the switch?

qwerty1500
12-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Did that when we went to Cozumel ... worked great until I drowned my phone in the resort pool.

Remo
12-30-2013, 02:59 PM

Running guns, drugs and whores. Be careful Mark :lr

Lockspur
12-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Running guns, drugs and whores. Be careful Mark :lr

Nah. Talent scout for my landscape crews. :D

Sweet_Leaf_PDX
12-30-2013, 03:26 PM
I've done this for Mexico before with my iPhone on AT&T. It ended up working out good; I was able to use my phone while there with no issues.

It is much better to buy a month of a local plan vs. paying the international roaming/data fees.

Conch Republican
01-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Caveat emptor...it is a work phone, so I don't give a ****...

That said, yup, AT&T is the service for me. I have used it LITERALLY all over the globe, and it works great. If the need is to talk to family, etc...use Skype or google hangouts. Free where you can get wifi. Be prepared for a large cost increase... One of my trips to Canada, still cost me 4k per month (3 months in a row), and the finance people had a few questions about it...but oh well. You could always pick up a burn phone or 2 and forward all calls to that local number...

Good luck!

jledou
01-08-2014, 04:54 AM
Use Skype over wifi to call an outside number (landline or cell) because you can't beat the prices ($0.02/min) I will put $10 credit on at a time go through several trips without using it all.

You can also look into free VoiP apps on your phone such as magic jack and those are also free to call back to the US over wifi.

Just be aware of any data usage from phones and/or ipads unless you also setup international data on them before you go.

mosesbotbol
01-08-2014, 05:38 AM
My parents live in Mexico and they buy a pre-paid (in Mexico) and use Magic Jack. Be much cheaper than using roaming.

equetefue
01-08-2014, 06:34 AM
Nah. Talent scout for my landscape crews. :D

Oh my god !!! :r:r Hahahaha :r:r

aaron72
01-08-2014, 01:28 PM
I've done this same thing on AT&T. I think they called it the Baja plan. Set it up for a month and then cancelled it. Worked out fine.