PDA

View Full Version : Chewing on cigars

Heavy_d
12-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Czerbe's post about his father got me thinking about my own dad and I remembered something. While my grandfather was the cigar smoker in the family, dad would occasionally enjoy a cigar too. But he wouldn't light them, he'd just hold it in his mouth and chew on the end. In all my years, I don't think I ever saw him light one up. Does anybody else do this or know someone who does, or is it just my weird family?

DaBear
12-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Czerbe's post about his father got me thinking about my own dad and I remembered something. While my grandfather was the cigar smoker in the family, dad would occasionally enjoy a cigar too. But he wouldn't light them, he'd just hold it in his mouth and chew on the end. In all my years, I don't think I ever saw him light one up. Does anybody else do this or know someone who does, or is it just my weird family?

I wouldn't say its weird. Working in a B&M I see this all the time. Someone comes in to buy a cigar or two for a family member who just likes to chew em. Heck, I've even heard that Dan Snyder(owner of the Redskins) has his car outfitted with humidors and ashtrays for sticks he just chews on during rides.

sikk50
12-13-2013, 03:53 PM
I know a guy that used to go into the shop I went to. He would just chew on them. Never lit them. It was years I knew him before I saw him actually light one. Idk if he swallowed the bits he would chew or what, but I know he'd always buy 8" cigars, and hed come in to buy more, and the bit in his mouth would only be about 2"

DarrelMorris
12-13-2013, 03:54 PM
I once worked with a guy who kept a humidor in his office. he didn't smoke the cigars, or even chew on them. he just took them out and sniffed them once in a while.

hotreds
12-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Back in the day I worked with a fellow who always had an unlit cigar in his mouth. He would on rare occasions light up. Keep in mind that chewing on cigars is considered a "no-no" by those that otherwise don't frown on cigar smoking. "Don't inhale, don't chew, no more than 2 a day."

shilala
12-13-2013, 05:54 PM
I used to chew them and smoke them at the same time. It took me forever to stop it, and I was only motivated by the desire to share my cigar with other guys.
I was so bad that I didn't even know a person could smoke more than half of a cigar, cause mine would only stay lit about halfway until they ran into the slobber.:D

G G
12-13-2013, 05:57 PM
I have a great uncle (my maternal grandmothers brother), and my only great Uncle left that as long as I can remember has done this. I have never seen him smoke a cigar at all. He used to chew Hav-a-tampas. Not sure what he chews these days as I think he hardly does anymore as he is getting pretty old. His name is Franklin Delano Taylor, and he is known far and wide as "One Spot" because when he was a young boy he was sitting on top of a fencepost with a pocket knife and was peeling an apple or orange and fell off the post and the knife stuck him in the eye and he was blinded in that eye.

yourchoice
12-13-2013, 06:59 PM
An equine vet who use to come to our family horse farm was always chewing on a cigar....never lit it. Of course I don't think lighting that slobbery mess would have been possible anyway!

Porch Dweller
12-14-2013, 07:13 AM
Someone a year or so ago posted about a guy that chewed cigars, but the only thing he chewed were Padron 1964 Annys. I tried searching for it but nada.

Wharf Rat
12-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Back during the 90s' cigar boom, when I started with cigars, I was in a meeting with a salesman who chewed his cigar. Over the course of a couple hour meeting, he consumed the whole thing. Back then, I was a newbie who thought he'd learned everything about cigars. I was mortified or hypnotized or something...