PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget whats important

czerbe
12-13-2013, 11:05 AM
This past year has been hard on my family, work issues, health issues, family issues, and its been really hard the last month or so. So I decided yesterday to take a day off of work and spend some "me" time, house to myself wife at work, kid at day care, and I was free all day to do as I pleased. I figured I would wake up and more or less chain smoke cigars in my underware all day! After a trip to the gym and some lunch I thought I'll call my father (who is on vacation this week) Asked him if he wanted to go get a beer up at Cigars International with me. After picking him up we headed to the shop. Sat down and I cut my cigar ordered a beer for my father and I and had some of the best conversation, and bonding time with my Father! To often we forget whats important in life its not Money, or cigars, or sports. To me whats important is Family. I'm very lucky to have my parents being so close to my wife and I in distance and in our lives as well. My father is the single greatest man I have ever known and it was great just to have a little Lad and Dad time. I can only hope my son one day will call me up and Ask me to get a beer with him. Just something I wanted to share with you all, this time of year we so easily forget whats important getting caught up with Gifts, and Holidays, and Money... Take a moment to yourselves and spend sometime with loved ones... you never know when you wont have another chance..

God Bless

Corey!

shilala
12-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Well done, Corey. :tu

equetefue
12-13-2013, 11:24 AM
excellent reminder Corey. I completely relate to you. I have noticed that as I get older that my bonding time with my father has also increased and is now a lot more meaningful. Wouldnt trade it for the world.

jjirons69
12-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Well said!

bruceolee
12-13-2013, 12:02 PM
As a child you idolize your father who, to you, is the strongest and smartest man you know. He's always the guy stronger than any monsters under your bed

As a teen you spend so much time pushing against each other and fighting and there's nothing wrong with that as you are just trying to figure out who your are as you grow but unfortunately dad takes the brunt of your whacked out hormones and anger as you try desperately not to be like him and become your own man.

In your 20's there's a bit of a separation from each other but you still love him even though now you're fully convinced you're nothing like him at all although your GF or wife constantly tells you how much you ARE like him.

in your 40's you finally realize that you are EXACTLY like him and again he is the smartest and strongest man you know and realize if you're only 50% of the man he is you're doing okay in life.

Not everyone has this exact experience as relationships are much more complicated than broad generalizations like this but for me I love my father and yes he is the strongest and smartest man I know even though he still hasn't memorized his own WiFi password. :)

Ogre
12-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Sounded like an awesome time

Heavy_d
12-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Sounds like a great day. I was lucky enough to be extremely close to my dad, both in terms of distance and relationship until he passed a few years ago. I still make it a point to stop in and spend at least a couple hours a week visiting with my mom who lives right down the hill from me. You only get the one set of parents, and it's so easy to forget that until it's too late.

Remo
12-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Sounds like a great time!! I was always close with my dad when I was younger, mom died when I was 14, dad remarried and when I turned 18 out I went and they moved 400 miles South, still text and talk on the phone but rarely see him anymore :sh

icehog3
12-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Awesome post, Corey, not much more important in life than quality time with those you love.

maninblack
12-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Well said brother. Well said

the jiggler
12-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Great posts by all. Thanks for the reminder.

Taki
12-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Amen brother!

Just last night my father and I sat down and ate dinner together...it was really nice :tu

Stevez
12-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Great post and wonderful reminder. Thanks.