PDA

View Full Version : How screwed am I? (A shipping question)

the jiggler
12-13-2013, 07:24 AM
Greatest plan in the history of plans is falling apart...

For my secret santa gift I reached out to a special source. I guy I know from instagram who I have traded with before. He is an acquaintance at best. Being a stand up BOTL he heard my pleas for help and sent me a package. Was stoked to see this yesterday:

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t518/The_jiggler/Clipboard01_zpsb72711f2.jpg (http://s1063.photobucket.com/user/The_jiggler/media/Clipboard01_zpsb72711f2.jpg.html)

When I got home....no package. Checked the link he had sent me from stamps.com and realized he sent it to my old address.

It's only a block or so away from my new house, so I go over this morning to get the package. The dude who lives there, who is my old landlord (I left on good terms) says the package never arrived. Show him my phone where it says "delivered" and he says it never arrived.

I am assuming it should have been forwarded but if so then why does it say delivered? I can't believe this guy would keep it from me but its got some premium sticks in it...

I called usps and opened a case. Anything else I can do? I called the local post office but they don't answer the phone. I am in deep kimchi without those sticks.

CigarNut
12-13-2013, 07:32 AM
USPS can be slow to update tracking information. If you had a forwarding address on file they will forward the package, but it takes extra time as the package has to go back to the sorting facility and be resorted.

Ogre
12-13-2013, 07:50 AM
Don't trust the USPS website. At times they are a full day behind

Remo
12-13-2013, 07:51 AM
Just give it a day or so, I have had packages show delivered that actually weren't and then they show up.

dijit
12-13-2013, 07:54 AM
I am experiencing a similar issue with my post office. I have a monthly shipment that is sent to my old PO box. The box is 12 x 18 x 6 and the last two have been returned to the shipper even with an active address change. The smaller boxes like cigar of the month club came right through. Hopefully on the larger package they have my address updated and will start sending to the correct addy.

icehog3
12-13-2013, 08:04 AM
Just give it a day or so, I have had packages show delivered that actually weren't and then they show up.

Ditto.

cjhalbrooks
12-13-2013, 08:27 AM
USPS can be slow to update tracking information. If you had a forwarding address on file they will forward the package, but it takes extra time as the package has to go back to the sorting facility and be resorted.

I talked to my dad about this ( he is a postmaster in MI) he agreed with this statement. He also said that if you had a forwarding address (paperwork that was handed in to the post office) then the package will get to you. He also said contact your local post office and they should be tracking where it is at.

czerbe
12-13-2013, 08:38 AM
USPS is run by the Fed what could go wrong with that ? ;s

Dude Here
12-13-2013, 08:43 AM
I have a co-worker who used to work for USPS and from what he tells me, this is a very common occurrence. When you send out a package, using the priority two day boxes for example, it must be delivered in two days no ifs ands or buts (excluding extreme weather or emergencies of course).

He tells me that when they would get really busy, like during the holidays, priority packages would start to stack up and cut it close to the limit of making the delivery date. He said that on more than one occasion the supervisors or office manager would gather all the packages that were due but weren't going to make it out that day and scan them all as delivered. This kept the heat off of the office for not making deliveries on time and the packages generally went out the next day or maybe the day after.

Long story short: wait a day or two.

the jiggler
12-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Update. Spoke with the post office who actually got in touch with my carrier. Carrier says she knows who she gave it to and will get it back. Kind of wonder if she knows it was wrong to begin with why did she give it to them in the first place? At any rate they said if they won't give it back they will send a postal inspector out. Didn't even realize they still did that.

I realize it's trivial in the grand scheme of things but if anyone is so inclined, I would appreciate a little prayer that it gets here safe. If it was for me, not a big deal, but it's for one of you guys and is sort of irreplaceable. Thanks. Further bulletins as events warrant.

Zane
12-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Wow.

Did anyone know about this?

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/pressroom/wanted.aspx

the jiggler
12-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Got the package today. It was opened but everything was there and in good shape. Christmas is back on.

bruceolee
12-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Awesome! Glad it all worked out!

massphatness
12-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Got the package today. It was opened but everything was there and in good shape. Christmas is back on.

:wo

cjhalbrooks
12-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Great news

G G
12-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Glad it's a good ending for you.:tu

E.J.
12-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Good news!

Who opens a parcel that isn't addressed/named to them...??

kelmac07
12-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Glad it all worked itself out Craig.

Zane
12-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Part of me was hoping to see what a postal inspector could do lol. But glad they arrived.

Malakai
12-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Definitely good to hear they got there!!

the jiggler
12-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Part of me was hoping to see what a postal inspector could do lol. But glad they arrived.

Me 2. Evidently the threat was sufficient.

Veatorious
12-14-2013, 08:40 PM
So glad you got the package Craig. Go get your Santa on brother...!