PDA

View Full Version : Strongest cigar you've ever smoked?

Dude Here
12-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Let me preface this thread by saying yes, I know "strength" in a cigar is a subjective thing. A cigar that one person finds unbearable may have little to no effect on another. For example, I smoke LFD double Ligero maddies and don't even bat an eye. A buddy of mine, who was a seasoned cigar smoker, had one and lost his dinner half-way through. So, with that said, what's the most potent stogie you've ever had?

Mine was actually a Camacho Machito. Yes, the little cigarillo in a tin. A few years ago an old B&M that I used to frequent was giving them out with purchases over X amount of dollars. I got a tin and let it sit for a bit. Finally lit one up while mowing the lawn and good Lord, it kicked my ass! I'm talking to the point where I had to sit down for a bit. Originally I thought that maybe I had just been overdoing it that day. I remember it was pretty hot that day and I had a good sweat going pushing my POS mower around. Surely that had to be it, right?

Well, a few weeks later I lit up another while walking the dog around the block and it was the same result. Head was spinning, throat was super dry and I had to toss it around the half-way mark. Haven't touched one since, though they are still in my humi.......mocking me.

So fellow inmates, what has been your most potent cigar?

Whipper Snapper
12-11-2013, 09:38 PM
LFD double ligero natural oscuro wrapped in terms of nicotine strength.

Concentrated flavor strength (I don't mean scrape your tongue with an ashtray type thing).
-Dunhill selection monte number 2 from the late 70's I believe. YOWZA!

Adriftpanda
12-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Pepin blue for me, or maybe opus x petite lancero. Both cigars knocked me on my ass, literally.

big pete
12-11-2013, 09:51 PM
My Father Le Bijou toro. I'll never forget that smoke because it kicked my ass when I started to get into cigars. Felt sick for half a day...

Dude Here
12-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Pepin blue for me, or maybe opus x petite lancero. Both cigars knocked me on my ass, literally.

I remember my first Pepin Blue caught me off guard with the amount of pepper it unleashed right off the bat. Still a tasty smoke though.

The Poet
12-11-2013, 10:11 PM
A Joya de Nicaraqua. Somebody gave me one about 10-15 years ago, and I've been afraid to try one since. :r

Remo
12-11-2013, 10:14 PM
A Joya de Nicaraqua. Somebody gave me one about 10-15 years ago, and I've been afraid to try one since. :r

This!!!

JdN Antano, @ss kicker!!

Weelok
12-11-2013, 10:31 PM
This!!!

JdN Antano, @ss kicker!!

Ditto. This cigar is nuts but also tasty. Nicotine sneaks up on you and suddenly your green.

T.G
12-11-2013, 10:38 PM
I lunged a Macanudo once.

ONCE.

Remo
12-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Camacho Coyolar is pretty potent also

yourchoice
12-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Litto Gomez Diez. A couple years ago I lit one while watching the lead up to the Kentucky Derby. I remember the cigar, but the race?... Not so much.

icehog3
12-12-2013, 12:12 AM

This!!!

JdN Antano, @ss kicker!!

Ditto. This cigar is nuts but also tasty. Nicotine sneaks up on you and suddenly your green.

Yup....The Celebracion kicked my azz too. :r

CamoFlogged
12-12-2013, 12:16 AM
This!!!

JdN Antano, @ss kicker!!

Yep, was eating sugar, cheese, orange juice, etc as I tapped this on an empty stomach. It wasn't kind to me. Was young in cigar smoking years but still remember.

Or maybe it was the Jack Daniels. In either case, one of them messed with my world.

Robulous78
12-12-2013, 02:35 AM
IDK if this will get me made fun of or not but here it goes...

Personally, to date, I think one of the stronger if not the strongest cigars in terms of flavor I have had would be a Cain F Lancero... I retrohale my gars more than most and every time I spark one up the first few draws that escape my nostrils send a tingle through my nasal cavity that will certainly wake you up... I enjoy them quite a bit, I just know not to have one without being prepared... :lr

stearns
12-12-2013, 07:11 AM
A few that stick out in my mind as times where I was struggling after amoking include T110, god of fire, and greycliff double espresso (that last one was mid day without eating yet, but it really put a hurt on me :r)

CigarSquid
12-12-2013, 07:21 AM
Only 1 has got me to turn green and spew. I am still deathly afraid of it to this day. The 601 La Bomba Napalm. I think I have one left in the cooler.. That just may turn out to be the oldest cigar in my cooler...

drjammer
12-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Yup....The Celebracion kicked my azz too. :r

Don't forget the dark corojo either :banger :gary

CoffeeWaterBeer
12-12-2013, 07:38 AM
I got blindsided by an Illusione (epernay I think it was). Wasn't expecting the strength it packed. I remember it as having the most plume I'd ever seen on a stick in person. I saw the smallish size and light wrapper and completely underestimated it.

TJarv
12-12-2013, 08:08 AM
I lunged a Macanudo once.

ONCE.

I did the same thing with a My Father ONCE

Dude Here
12-12-2013, 08:20 AM
I inhaled the first cigar I ever smoked, an Opus X.

Don't recommend doing that.

jjirons69
12-12-2013, 08:31 AM
I agree with the LFD statements, but the old blend of El Rico Habano were some of the meanest smokes I've ever tried. Papajohn gifted me several back in the day. Seems every one of them nearly put me down, green with the cold sweats. Needless to say I haven't had one in many years, not even the newer blends. I don't see it in my near future either. Not a fan of getting punched in the gut.

DirtRider500R
12-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Strongest one to date was a Man O' War Little Devil. The only one I've ever lost my stomach from was a Montecristo Tubo Special. I didn't light up a stick for more than a week after that.

Ogre
12-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Just one word, PVNISHER!!!!!!

Heavy_d
12-12-2013, 09:13 AM
JdN Antaņo Dark Corojo. Was a great stick, but when I stood up after finishing it off, my head was swimming.

Lockspur
12-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Diesel Unlimited on an empty stomach. Had to go lie down.

dvickery
12-12-2013, 10:02 AM
two cigars come to mind ... both strong as death ... a surprise because they are/were both Cuban cigars .

'89 Belinda belvederes

'97 ryj tres petit coronas

derrek

shilala
12-12-2013, 10:03 AM
I was smoking an Anejo Shark one time on the way to see my tax guy, and I got a stellar buzz. It was awesome, because I searched high and low for super strong cigars that'd kick my ass. The only other one was the turd that Hal sent me. It was a Toscano Cheroot.
I did a review (http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/non-habanos-reviews/154872-i-smoked-turd-seriously.html) on it back at our old place, before the Evil Empire arrived.

icehog3
12-12-2013, 12:39 PM
I was smoking an Anejo Shark one time on the way to see my tax guy, and I got a stellar buzz. It was awesome, because I searched high and low for super strong cigars that'd kick my ass. The only other one was the turd that Hal sent me. It was a Toscano Cheroot.
I did a review (http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/non-habanos-reviews/154872-i-smoked-turd-seriously.html) on it back at our old place, before the Evil Empire arrived.

Flew to Louisville one morning for a herf after getting no sleep the night before. Don Jefe met me at the airport with a Shark, which I smoked in an hour waiting for Da Klugs' flight to get in.

Let's just say I needed some food, fast. :r

Remo
12-12-2013, 01:10 PM
JdN Antaņo Dark Corojo. Was a great stick, but when I stood up after finishing it off, my head was swimming.

Smoked one on the river one day, just mouth held it the entire time and sucked in more smoke than I should have, was damn near "swimming with the fishes" that day!!

Ender
12-12-2013, 01:11 PM
The Tatuaje Fausto lit me up a bit. I like Tatuaje a lot but was a little disappointed with the lack of flavor:strength ratio of the Fausto.

Ashcan Bill
12-12-2013, 01:44 PM
I've never had a cigar that impacted me physically. Until this year.

I'm still not completely sure if it was the gar, or if I was a bit under the weather, or if dinner didn't agree with me, or what the 'ell happened. But I suspect it was the smoke. A few months back I lit up a LFD Mysterio. It's a good sized manly smoke, and I'd never tried one before. It took me probably a couple hours to finish it, and when I was done I was sweating and feeling a bit nauseous. Only time I've ever felt that after smoking. I don't know if the Mysterio was really that strong, or if I'm just turning into a lightweight in my dotage. It really took me off guard. Hurt my feelings. Even made me feel a little wimpy. :sh

I've got another Mysterio sitting in the death row humi ready to go. That sucker and I are going to dance before long.

Remo
12-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Now that I have quit chewing I can really feel the NickyTeen in fuller smokes!!

MajorCaptSilly
12-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Original release of El Rico Habano. It totally knocked me on my butt. They came up with a new blend sometime in the late 90's I believe that was not near as strong. Ernie Carrillo gave me his personal blend ERH at Cigarfest in 2008 that matched the original strength but had better flavor. I wish he would have given me a box.

MCS

kelmac07
12-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Essencia...the first three of these I smoked brought tears to my eyes, made me feel "woozy", light headed and head spinning. I stayed away from them for almost three years. This stick was my "kryptonite" up until I re-visited it a few months ago. Really enjoyed the flavors on it without the tears.

Now I can eat LFDs for breakfast. :D

riverdawg
12-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Only one to ever hit me hard with a nic kick was the first Tat M-80 I smoked. Hasn't happened since with them.

Garbandz
12-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Litto Gomez Diez 2006.this cigar made Litto hurl.......TWICE ...the same day......
I smoked one in 2012.........started seeing spots and getting woozy.in 40 years of smoking cigars,the winner in the strength contest...........

JenksAnejo
12-12-2013, 05:01 PM
I smoked a bunch of cigs when I was in college and so far I haven't had one drop me yet. The strongest cigar I've had is probably a fresh PSD4 or an OR FFP

Zanaspus
12-12-2013, 05:18 PM
One of the many of thousands of Viaje's. I'm old, have no memory, and don't like power anymore.

Smoqman
12-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Without question, Joya de Nicaraqua Robusto (oscuro) circa' 1998 (summer)

I bought a box of these and took them on a fishing trip. The instant my lips touched that cigar, they were numb, and the nic....... oh my god the nic.....ON - MY - ASS, and I've always loved full-strength cigars.

Man, I remember that as if it was 5 minutes ago (getting dizzy thinking about it)

Col. Kurtz
12-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Had a jj Maduro make me sweat and spin a bit. Had to pull off the road and walk around for a while after that one. Only ones I can recall making me hurl was a benchmade cazador while working in 100 degree heat: and a Monte 4 with morning coffee :confused:

shilala
12-12-2013, 06:00 PM
A few that stick out in my mind as times where I was struggling after amoking include T110, god of fire, and greycliff double espresso (that last one was mid day without eating yet, but it really put a hurt on me :r)
Those Graycliff Double Espressos were SO good, but only for about a year, then they got real mild. I'd grab a bunch and sit them back for 6 months then start trying them every week to see if they were ready, then I'd smoke them all in a week's time. I made the mistake once of hanging onto some for a year or two, and they became worthless. No flavor or power at all. I thought it was odd then, but have found that happens with lots of nc's.
Thanks for reminding me of them, Ben. Man, I loved those cigars.

Sweet_Leaf_PDX
12-12-2013, 06:23 PM
I agree with several others here... the one that really sticks out for me is the Joya de Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo. I had this early on in my cigar smoking days and it really kicked my butt. I had another one recently and it didn't destroy me like the first one, but it still seemed like a really strong cigar.

TJtorpedo
12-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Litto Gomez Diez 2006.this cigar made Litto hurl.......TWICE ...the same day......
I smoked one in 2012.........started seeing spots and getting woozy.in 40 years of smoking cigars,the winner in the strength contest...........

This! From the first puff I knew I was screwed, but back when a $5 cigar was a splurge for me, I spent 10 bucks on this cigar, so I'll be damned if I wasn't going to nub that thing.

MUNKY
12-12-2013, 07:15 PM
LFD chapter one, I've had 2 and both kicked my ass... weird lol

longknocker
12-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Opus X! Always!:r:D Love The Flavor Profile, But They Bring The Big Guy To His Knees!:D

badbriar
12-12-2013, 08:15 PM
RP Old World Reserve Maddie...on an empty stomach. Flat staggered my silly a$$. :sl
RR

Smoqman
12-13-2013, 09:11 AM

This, I have to try :)

shilala
12-13-2013, 09:14 AM
If I recall correctly, Litto's LFD Icepick was a nasty little Gomer.
I'm a HUGE LG fan, but not a big fan of LFD's except for Coronado's. I don't think I forged my way through a whole Icepick, I tried a couple and threw them in the alley cause I didn't care for them. I do remember lots of talk about them being brainkillers.

RobR1205
12-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Only cigar that made be lose my dinner: Cuba Libre One (when I first got into the hobby)

The cigar that has made me curl up in pain on the couch: cu-avana punisher...ugh I shudder just looking at them now. Too. Much. Power.

Islayphile
12-13-2013, 10:03 AM
A fresh LFD Coronado maduro

ripper
12-13-2013, 05:39 PM
A Maria Mancini Magic Mountain maduro back in the day when J-R was run by Lew Rothman. Hallucinatory.

CamoFlogged
12-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Grape White Owls. I didn't know you weren't supposed to snort them.

hammondc
12-14-2013, 08:23 AM
LFD Double Ligero

The Poet
12-14-2013, 09:19 AM
A Maria Mancini Magic Mountain maduro back in the day when J-R was run by Lew Rothman. Hallucinatory.

Despite the Altadis buyout, I think my buddy Lew would object to this. :r

REALMCCOY
12-16-2013, 10:35 PM
JdN Dark Corojo. Only had a few regular Antanos, those are potent as well but the Dark Corojo was too much. I really enjoy the Celebration and haven't experienced any ill effects from them.

Commander Quan
12-17-2013, 04:24 AM
Original release of El Rico Habano.

This. I literally had the spins when I stood up after finishing one of these.

stearns
12-17-2013, 07:16 AM
Those Graycliff Double Espressos were SO good, but only for about a year, then they got real mild. I'd grab a bunch and sit them back for 6 months then start trying them every week to see if they were ready, then I'd smoke them all in a week's time. I made the mistake once of hanging onto some for a year or two, and they became worthless. No flavor or power at all. I thought it was odd then, but have found that happens with lots of nc's.
Thanks for reminding me of them, Ben. Man, I loved those cigars.

The one that made me feel queesy (and made one of my friends throw up) came from you! close to 6 years ago...

I have one I've had for a couple years, now I'm gonna havta smoke it and see if it's dead or not

czerbe
12-17-2013, 08:29 AM
To be honest I have been smoking cigars for over 10+ years and there have been many that got me sick, green, spinning, and sweating. A lot of them were early on in my smoking career before I knew there was a difference in cigar strength, also how to possibly counteract them. Cain F was one, MOWPA was another, Opus X. All in all they are great smokes that I have smoked again but I just knew my limits and learned how to deal with them. Happy smoking

RWhisenand
12-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Recently I tried a Surrogates Bone Crusher. Sad to say but I had to pitch it about half way through as it was kicking my ass! Shame, the cigar tasted good, just so strong.

dave
12-18-2013, 07:30 AM
In nine years of cigars, only two have made me queasy and only three others I can recall thinking, "Man, this is REALLY strong!"

I was literally punished by both a LFD DL 700, and a fresh JDN Antano Gran Consul; both on empty stomach.

The OR El Rico Habano and LFD Cheroot (Icepick), both mentioned above, and the OR El Cobre all made me sit back and say, "Whoa! I better be careful with this one".
Funny, now that I think about it, I got all three of those from the same shop - Empire in Raleigh. Must be something in the water down there

Islayphile
12-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Recently I tried a Surrogates Bone Crusher. Sad to say but I had to pitch it about half way through as it was kicking my ass! Shame, the cigar tasted good, just so strong.

That's a shame

They have been by far my favorite cigar for the past year or so

RWhisenand
12-18-2013, 09:30 PM
That's a shame

They have been by far my favorite cigar for the past year or so

It was a shame, I really enjoyed the flavors, but the nic hit me hard and I had to toss it. Maybe it was just the day or something else but I was reeling pretty good.

RobR1205
12-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Any other brave souls here smoke an entire punisher? Definitely hurting after that one.

DirtRider500R
12-18-2013, 09:38 PM

I have one of those in my cooler-dor. Thanks for the warning :tu

RWhisenand
12-18-2013, 09:44 PM
I have one of those in my cooler-dor. Thanks for the warning :tu

FYI, do not smoke a cigar and then go out for a ride. Ask me how I know this!:r

I was working on my top end rebuild on my '06 Crf450 when I smoked the Bone Crusher. Maybe a few years in the humi will mellow this out though.

dave
12-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Any other brave souls here smoke an entire punisher? Definitely hurting after that one.

Sort of. Not as designed, though. After about 15 minutes of suffering through the Tabasco gimmick, I wet the entire head/shoulders and wiped it down with a napkin. Tolerable enough to finish, but won't have another. Once the pepper sauce was gone, it wasn't terribly strong.

Dude Here
12-19-2013, 09:36 AM

Bryan Glynn takes one down, like a boss.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ5HazmBAik&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgZ5HazmBAik

Heavy_d
12-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Sort of. Not as designed, though. After about 15 minutes of suffering through the Tabasco gimmick, I wet the entire head/shoulders and wiped it down with a napkin. Tolerable enough to finish, but won't have another. Once the pepper sauce was gone, it wasn't terribly strong.

I actually had to look these up, as I've heard them mentioned in passing, but never really knew anything about them. From all the reviews I read, it seems these are just pure on pepper flavor. Now I'm a fan of hot sauce and spicy foods, and I do enjoy a strong cigar from time to time, but this, no, just no. :pu

RobR1205
12-19-2013, 04:00 PM
I actually had to look these up, as I've heard them mentioned in passing, but never really knew anything about them. From all the reviews I read, it seems these are just pure on pepper flavor. Now I'm a fan of hot sauce and spicy foods, and I do enjoy a strong cigar from time to time, but this, no, just no. :pu

I thought it was a figure of speech when I read the cigar's description. But those SOBs at cu-avana weren't kidding! That thing is literally coated with a substance that makes your lips burn.

T.G
12-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Rob, FWIW, Cu-Avana isn't a company, it's just one of the many marques owned by Cigars International. The early/original mild Cu-Avana cigars were made by Manuel Quesada @ MATASA for CI, the Intensos were by Nestor Plasencia, but I have no idea who makes the Punisher for them.

RobR1205
12-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Rob, FWIW, Cu-Avana isn't a company, it's just one of the many marques owned by Cigars International. The early/original mild Cu-Avana cigars were made by Manuel Quesada @ MATASA for CI, the Intensos were by Nestor Plasencia, but I have no idea who makes the Punisher for them.

Huh! You learn something new every day! Definitely didn't know that, thanks Adam :tu

irratebass
12-19-2013, 06:39 PM
LFD Digger Maduro & an M80 (I accidentally inhaled while relighting

Chainsaw13
12-19-2013, 07:12 PM
OR El Rico's and JdN Antano's gave me the heeby-geeby's, but the one that really got me was the OR Camacho Corojo. If you could make it through the first inch, it turned into a really nice cigar.

Smokin0808
12-22-2013, 10:34 AM
So far, and I still have very few under my belt, but it was a Perdomo 10th Anniversary Champagne. Good cigar, but the nicotine snuck up on me. Although, it was a big stick, in ring gauge and length.

Arval512
12-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Bolivar Royal Corona... Was marathon watching Hell on Wheels while puffing away. When I finished I laid down for bed. I thought I was on a roller coaster and got absolutely 0 sleep.

Catfish
12-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Never been given 'baccy-belly by a stick. I've even asked for recommendations.

One fine day on Alex's pool deck, Ogre, Black Coral and snkbyt all sat around and watched and waited for a Cohiba red dot to kick my @ss.

Never happened.

Dude Here
12-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Smoked a LFD El Jocko this afternoon while frying the turkey. Left my head spinning a bit afterwards. First time in a long while that's happened.

kelmac07
12-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Have to change mine...as I smoked the strongest one I've ever smoked today. LFD N.A.S., re-release of the LFD Icepick. I smoked this after four strong sticks and after I ate dinner and it still was a POWERHOUSE!! A Ligero Puro...strong as crap, but very tasty!!

icehog3
12-27-2013, 05:22 PM
What does the N.A.S. stand for, Mac, in case I am too lazy to Google?

kelmac07
12-27-2013, 05:24 PM
What does the N.A.S. stand for, Mac, in case I am too lazy to Google?

Nasty Ass Sh*t!!! I didn't name it. :D

icehog3
12-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Nasty Ass Sh*t!!! I didn't name it. :D

Really? If so, that's awesome. :lr

kelmac07
12-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Really? If so, that's awesome. :lr

Really Tom...that's what they named it.

icehog3
12-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Really Tom...that's what they named it.