PDA

View Full Version : For real geeks....

AdamJoshua
11-01-2013, 06:02 PM
This link was sent to me by my brother asking me if I remembered meeting a couple of these guys, my brother worked with them back in the late 80s and one of them we both worked with in Cambridge, I had no idea that Bob did this until I read the article, guess it wasn't in my wheelhouse of interest back in the days when I first moved to Boston, just remembered that my brother worked at Saber ( and X Systems back then.

Basically this guy, Robert Morris, released the first virus / worm on the internet and brought a lot of it down 25yrs ago this Sunday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/11/01/how-a-grad-student-trying-to-build-the-first-botnet-brought-the-internet-to-its-knees/

JenksAnejo
11-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Awesome read Adam! Thanks for sharing.

markem
11-01-2013, 06:27 PM
First one to run free in the wild with such a catastrophic result. Several, perhaps many, before that. He didn't invent the concept.

He interviewed with my group when he wanted to work in security research at Intel. We didn't hire him.

I was working for a startup when the Morris Worm hit. It took some time, but I was able to isolate our systems and prevent a reintroduction of the infection. Lots of other places weren't so lucky.

There is a lot more behind the story and the subsequent attention to "Internet crime" that requires lots of booze and no microphones for those involved to talk.

AdamJoshua
11-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Well I certainly didn't say he invented it, although the article did come across more along those lines. I'll be honest I don't remember him all that much and yes most of the people involved even on the outer edges didn't want to be interviewed for whatever reasons.

I was actually going to send it just to you Mark, thought you would be interested in some fashion.