PDA

View Full Version : Second Humidity Question

alfredo_buscatti
10-24-2013, 06:34 PM
I have a new to me humidor that I want to start using. Do I want to spray distilled water moderately on all the inner surfaces first? They are all cedar.

TJarv
10-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Just a small bowl of distilled water sitting inside for a week is good enough

big_jaygee
10-24-2013, 06:48 PM
read this (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620)

CigarNut
10-24-2013, 08:02 PM
I prefer a damp/wet (distilled water) sponge over a glass as the sponge has more surface area and releases moisture faster as a result.

pnoon
10-24-2013, 10:42 PM
read this (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620)

:tu

alfredo_buscatti
10-25-2013, 07:31 AM
big_jaygee and pnoon, the thread you referenced is awesome. It answers questions that I'd not even thought about!

Thanks!

CigarSquid
10-25-2013, 07:46 AM
big_jaygee and pnoon, the thread you referenced is awesome. It answers questions that I'd not even thought about!

Thanks!

So much to learn here on the forum.. with great guys. Just remember to use your best friend, the 'search' function.

Also, you have discovered that.. you will find more.... Welcome to the deep end!:gary

shilala
10-25-2013, 11:30 AM
I also use a wetted sponge on a plate or tray. It provides FAR more surface area than a bowl of water, and it gets the job done very well, in a timely fashion.
Spanish Cedar is a very open grain and sucks up water very quickly. Thing is, most humidors use a spanish cedar laminate that is paper thin or thinner. The backing wood is usually some sort of composite, and composite is designed to repel water.
In reality, you have very little wood in a humidor that will absorb water. The trays and wooden pieces inside the humi are what's going to hold your water.

Mind ya, I'm speaking on the types of humidors that we can buy at major retailers and the like, not handcrafted humidors.

FNA
10-25-2013, 12:33 PM
" a wetted sponge on a plate or tray. It provides FAR more surface area than a bowl of water,"

So which do you have? Real big sponges or real tiny bowls?

Stephen
10-25-2013, 03:37 PM
So which do you have? Real big sponges or real tiny bowls?
Ah, you said bowls...;)