PDA

View Full Version : Humidity Question

alfredo_buscatti
10-24-2013, 05:56 AM
I have 35 robustos that haven't had any humidity for over a year. I'm wondering about two things:

Can I just put them in a plastic garbage bag sealed with twist-em? I don't have anything more traditional to use to act as a humidor.

How much humidity do I want to use, being that the cigars are so dry?

RobR1205
10-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Over a year with no humidity? Hmmm...that could be tough to bring back to smoking condition, but you would have to check with someone else who knows more than I. Why not just use a Tupperware? They are airtight....

TJarv
10-24-2013, 08:24 AM
If you do try to bring them back you need to be very patient and introduce humidity slowly.

kydsid
10-24-2013, 08:37 AM
Technically they haven't been without humidity. ;)

The average atmospheric humidity in North Carolina is pretty high based on the times I've been there. I say smoke one and see what you have on your hands. Then decide if its worth your time to put in a humidor/tupperdor for long rest to stabilize.

icehog3
10-24-2013, 08:37 AM
Sealed in a plastic garbage bag, with a source of humidity, will quite possibly cause mold. I would go with Rob's suggestion of a piece of Tupperware. And Tony is also correct, you will have to introduce humidity slowly or your wrappers will likely split or crack. And even with all the patience and effort, they quite possibly will not taste good after a year of dryness.

czerbe
10-24-2013, 08:41 AM
You never know until you try, but I'm not sure how a year without humidity will treat those cigars on their way back I would go very slow. A little humidity at a time

shilala
10-24-2013, 11:07 AM
I'd throw them in a ziplock bag with a Boveda pack and forget about them for another year.
So far as the garbage bag/twistie-tie goes, that's wholly inadequate to retain vapor pressure. You wouldn't think it'd leak, but it has 24 hours a day to pass vapor back and forth through that wadded up deal. If you wouldn't expect it to hold water, it's not going to hold humidity. Really.

alfredo_buscatti
10-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks to all for your replies! I'm going to have to find something airtight and do this very gradually. I got a birthday cigar earlier this year months late, so it had been outside of proper humidity. I was advised to humidify with a piece of paper towel, two drops of water at a time. After about three weeks it turned smelly though it was softer and the wrapper hadn't burst. Doesn't bode well for this effort.

Sweet_Leaf_PDX
10-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Consider purchasing an acrylic hermetic storage jar, Tupperware, or a Cooler from Walmart or some other retailer. You can get something for less then $20 that will work out well.

shilala
10-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Consider purchasing an acrylic hermetic storage jar, Tupperware, or a Cooler from Walmart or some other retailer. You can get something for less then $20 that will work out well.
I have a bunch of those, they work great.
A bail jar like that with a Boveda pack or two would be perfect.
Good idea, brother!!! :tu

10-25-2013, 11:18 AM
You could put them in your humi and leave them there for a month or two and they should be smoke-able. What will they taste like? Who knows. Probably nothing like they would have if kept properly, but you have nothing to lose. Just my :2

mosesbotbol
10-25-2013, 12:15 PM
If you try to be too aggressive with humidity, you end up with a moldy cigars headed directly to the trash can. You have to be patient.

neoflex
10-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Me personally and don't take my reply personal but if they are dry to the point that they crack and split when you pinch them down by the foot I would chuck them in the trash bag and bring them out to the curb. Even if you bring them back humidity wise they will not smoke how they were originally intended too and they will likely be lackluster at best. Certainly not good enough to warrant the time and effort it will take to bring them back up to smoking levels. I myself would rather put the time into finding a reasonably priced humidor and how to care for it and seeking out some nicely priced samplers to find what I like. Again not trying to be the Debbie Downer but I live by the motto that "Life is too short to smoke crappy cigars." Once dried out especially for that long they are likely to be disappointing. I live in NC and in the colder months it does get dry enough, especially if running heat to wreak havoc on uncared for sticks.

mosesbotbol
10-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Again not trying to be the Debbie Downer but I live by the motto that "Life is too short to smoke crappy cigars." Once dried out especially for that long they are likely to be disappointing.

He speaks the truth. I wouldn't bother trying to revive a dried out cigar, but if you want to here's how...