PDA

View Full Version : New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Mister Moo
12-15-2008, 05:35 AM
:pi Attention new pipe smokers! :pi

:tu All pipe and tobacco questions answered.
:tu All pipe and tobacco problems solved.

Terms of Service: to ask you have to have a serious question; to reply you must have a minimum two years pipe smoking experience. (No snob zone.) There are no stupid questions. Nobody can beat someone with a "Use the search funtion" lead pipe. There will be no rude replies no matter how many times your question has been asked - nosir, not in THIS thread. Maybe a little tiny bit of sarcasm though, just to keep it interesting.

Bring it on.

Mister Moo
12-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Somebody better ask a question pretty darn soon. :sleep:

Old farts don't live forever. :lv

schnell987
12-16-2008, 07:04 PM
OK, I'll go first....

1) Is it really necessary to rest the pipe for a day or two to let it "dry out" before using it again? If you don't do this, what will happen?

2) Do you need to have a separate pipe(s) for aromatic tobaccos or can you scrape the bowl to get the ash off and then smoke the Virginia or English tobaccos without the aromatic flavor bleeding over?

Thanks in advance for your input. :pi

Kevin

Mister Moo
12-16-2008, 07:32 PM
OK, I'll go first....

1) Is it really necessary to rest the pipe for a day or two to let it "dry out" before using it again? If you don't do this, what will happen?

2) Do you need to have a separate pipe(s) for aromatic tobaccos or can you scrape the bowl to get the ash off and then smoke the Virginia or English tobaccos without the aromatic flavor bleeding over?

KevinGreat questions, Kevin - I have no idea.

Next.

jk.

Dry time. No real dry time for cobs or meers - just let them cool down between scraping/tapping and a refill. Excellent road pipes; one will do for a week. Briar holds moisture and, smoke after smoke, it'll maybe get swampy down there. The swamp gets soggier and soggier, bowl after bowl, and makes for a wet, (steam) hot smoke. Old guys say one pipe gets one smome per week; other old guys say smoke a pipe a couple of times in a day and put it up for a while; and everyones grandfather only had one beat-to-snot old Dr. Grabow they carried eveywhere and smoked 11-teen times/day. I'm an old guy and I don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday but I do remember how many smokes a certain briar needed before it last got put up to dry out. You can't rely on a bunch of effin' old guys - smoke your briar a few times and look down into it with a flashlight - you can tell when it's wet by looking (or by smoking). I'll smoke dryish tobac 1-3 times/day in the same pipe and come back to it after a while. Mostly 1-2. Three in a day means I got desperate for some reason.

Ghosting. Bet your ass pipes ghost but when you're new to pipes it's hard to tell what's what. Tell you what - what do you care what anyone else thinks? Smoke what you like in whatever pipe you want. Sooner or later you'll figure out what ghosts in what pipes (and what doesn't). Or - basically consider a meer for anything, any time. A cob is good for aromatics, virginnies and burlies. A briar? Once you get latakia stink in most briars it'll dash a wonderful, piquant, nuanced virginia/perique all to pieces. Different folks have different ideas about what is good and bad for briar - I start a (new to me) briar on virginia or virginia burley. After 20-30 1/2 bowl smokes, if it drools or gets too hot I'll decide, ok, "Now you're an english or burley blended pipe."

If you take a favored virginia pipe to aromatics and then back to virginia, you'll figure out the ghost soon enough. WTH? Ghost can be banished with salt and Everclear in 24 hours. In the end, no bad ghosts - only learning experiences.

schnell987
12-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Terrific responses, thank you! :tu

petewho
12-18-2008, 11:37 AM
A briar? Once you get latakia stink in most briars it'll dash a wonderful, piquant, nuanced virginia/perique all to pieces.

Ghost can be banished with salt and Everclear in 24 hours. In the end, no bad ghosts - only learning experiences.

So I am wondering about lat ghosts in my briars. I had smoked English blends (some up to 50% lat) in all my pipes, but I've only been smoking pipes about two months. Somewhere around month-one I realized what I was doing and dedicated two pipes to lat-heavy blends and sequestered the other two - one for VA's and one for VA/Pers. Since I'm still new to pipes, they could have lat-stink in them and I simply don't realize it yet because I don't know any better.

I guess my question is how fast does a lat ghost take hold? Will four bowls of English baccy do it? Will it go away after a few bowls of VA, or is it time to bust out the alcohol?

tedrodgerscpa
12-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I have a question for an old fart...

What's the best way to prep flake tobacco for smoking?

Not sure that 'flake' is the best way to describe it, but I'm talking about something that looks like this...

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee123/tedrodgerscpa/2150.jpg

disclaimer: picture ruthlessly stolen from the internet

I do O.K. with the "Cake" style, but these big ol' flakes confuse me a bit!

Mister Moo
12-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Note: terms of thread to be an old fart with a reply are:

"you must have a minimum two years pipe smoking experience."

This is not complicated. You know who you are, Scott. :D

ps - nothing says your old-fart answers have to be right, either. This thread is strictly "caveat emptor".

dunng
12-18-2008, 12:59 PM
What's the best way to get started? Cheap starter pipes? Basic tobacco? Necessary tools? Thanks!

Greg (A.K.A Reformed Poddie) :ss

Neuromancer
12-18-2008, 01:02 PM
OK, I'll go first....

Kevin

Number one was well answered...just a quick thought on your second question...you DO NOT want to scrape off the carbon that your bowl will begin filling with...that's cake and that's good as long as it's not too thick...if it gets to be about the thickness of a nickel use a reamer to take it back down to the thickness of a dime...that cake will help cool the smoke and will greatly reduce tongue bite (as will smoking slowly)...your pipe should always be almost on the verge of going out more or less...and if you have to relight a few times it's no biggie..btw, I have my pipes separated into three categories...one for English/Balkan mixtures, one for aromatics and one for Virginia's and Va/Pers...

Not sure that 'flake' is the best way to describe it, but I'm talking about something that looks like this...

Flake...fold it length-wise first then width-wise and stuff it in..that's basically it...I find flake smokes better in pipes with narrower chambers that take about one flake...and you need to leave a little room in the bowl as flake will expand...or you can take a flake and ball it up in between your palms and rub it out so it's more ribbon like and then use any filling method you normally use...

What's the best way to get started? Cheap starter pipes? Basic tobacco? Necessary tools? Thanks!

Greg (A.K.A Reformed Poddie) :ss
Corncob pipe, Czech pipe tool, pipe cleaners and maybe a simple burley that won't bite too much...stay away from gloppy drugstore aromatics like Cherry Blend as they're loaded with PG solution to keep them moist and bite like hell...other drugstore stuff like Prince Albert may be a good starting point...

Slow Triathlete
12-18-2008, 01:25 PM
So I am wondering about lat ghosts in my briars. I had smoked English blends (some up to 50% lat) in all my pipes, but I've only been smoking pipes about two months. Somewhere around month-one I realized what I was doing and dedicated two pipes to lat-heavy blends and sequestered the other two - one for VA's and one for VA/Pers. Since I'm still new to pipes, they could have lat-stink in them and I simply don't realize it yet because I don't know any better.

I guess my question is how fast does a lat ghost take hold? Will four bowls of English baccy do it? Will it go away after a few bowls of VA, or is it time to bust out the alcohol?

Lat stink takes hold pretty fast if you ask me. It will eventually go away but it also depends on how long and how much you smoked in that pipe. It's always nice to start off a new blend genre with a clean pipe (salt & alcohol treatment) but it's not 100% necessary. Your Virginia blends might just taste and smell a little funky for the first several bowls.

Mister Moo
12-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Lat stink takes hold pretty fast if you ask me. It will eventually go away but it also depends on how long and how much you smoked in that pipe. It's always nice to start off a new blend genre with a clean pipe (salt & alcohol treatment) but it's not 100% necessary. Your Virginia blends might just taste and smell a little funky for the first several bowls.Pretty much the kind of advice I'd expect from an old fart. Bravo.

dunng
12-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Corncob pipe, Czech pipe tool, pipe cleaners and maybe a simple burley that won't bite too much...stay away from gloppy drugstore aromatics like Cherry Blend as they're loaded with PG solution to keep them moist and bite like hell...other drugstore stuff like Prince Albert may be a good starting point...

:tu Thanks!

schnell987
12-18-2008, 08:49 PM
The wise old farts have stated that: "Ghost can be banished with salt and Everclear in 24 hours."

Could you explain how to do this process?

Thanks in advance.

Mister Moo
12-19-2008, 05:08 AM
The wise old farts have stated that: "Ghost can be banished with salt and Everclear in 24 hours."

Thanks in advance.Precise methods vary. Mine:
1. remove and clean stem with bristle and booze
2. put a fluffy pipecleaner down the shank and into the bowl; bend the protruding end upward with an eye to preventing wicking booze from touching the shanks finish
3. secure the briar, tipped, to level out the end of the shank and and bowl lip
4. fill bowl with coarse deiodized (kosher) salt (alternatively, a cotton ball or two)
5. add Everclear to bowl, slowly and carefully to prevent a finish-stripping overflow or popped bubble, with an eyedropper; some folks like to use rum, bourbon, scotch, 91% rubbing alcohol etc.
6. STOP adding Everclear before the bowl (or shank) overfills
7. watch salt turn brown and watch alky and grunge wick up the pipecleaner over hours
8. when dried out, maybe add some more Everclear or remove/replace dirty pipe cleaner and salt; repeat until all is clean/sweet - once or twice usually does it.

All this jazz and more is discussed in the ASP FAQ (http://groups.google.com/group/alt.smokers.pipes/msg/1bd1b87db15204e0?pli=1), too. Excellent resource. You can now cross-check the ASP experts against the CA Old Farts for total pipe security. In fact, without being an Old Fart yourself you can now deodorize your briar, read the ASP FAQ and consider yourself fully qualified to refer other people to the FAQ for very good information. Congratulations.

Now go do a photo essay, clean your pipe and stop bothering me.

Sr Mike
12-19-2008, 07:20 AM

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee123/tedrodgerscpa/2150.jpg

disclaimer: picture ruthlessly stolen from the internet

There are a few different ways to work with flake tobacco. From my experience, folding flake over on itself and then filling the bowl is easy to start out with, but it can be a bit difficult to light or keep lit. So to aid the start, I will take a bit of extra flake and rub it between my palm and first two fingers until the flake is broken up and shag looking. Setting this shag on the top of the bowl, it lights up easily and gets the flake burning nicely. I have found that smoking flake folded over on itself will burn for a much longer duration than a bowl of loose tobacco. Tamping will be a bit different as the flake really does not tamp like loose tobacco and pack, gentle tamping at first so not to put out the ember, practice is the best way to learn with flake.

Another method it to rub the flake in the palm so it is more ribbon like, or if you really want to get a lot into the bowl, the flake can be rubbed into all shag and packed into the bowl like loose tobacco. Rubbed out flake used by a lot of new smokers, this will give the new flake smoker an idea of how flake tobacco feels when tamped without getting over zealous and put out the ember. The first time I smoked flake I remember thinking the tobacco was not packing down and just crunching.

IMHO, I personally like flake to be folded on itself for smoking rather than rubbed out. I have found that just taking the time to learn to smoke flake in this manner makes the flake far more enjoyable. I tend too think that companies nowadays layer tobacco to be smoked folded over, this gives the smoker the taste of all the layered tobacco at the same time. I could be wrong as flake was originally used as a way to store tobacco.

I have read that one can cut up the flake into smaller pieces, with a knife or scissors, and fill the bowl with what was cut. I have not tried this method so I cannot accurately give any advice with this method.

Try both methods, you may notice a difference between the two methods with one tin of flake. Also, remember that flake tobacco can have more moisture than loose tobacco, so a flake from a new tin will most likely need to be allowed to dry before smoking.

Mister Moo
12-19-2008, 08:27 AM
...I have found that just taking the time to learn to smoke flake in this manner makes the flake far more enjoyable. ... remember that flake tobacco can have more moisture than loose tobacco, so a flake from a new tin will most likely need to be allowed to dry before smoking.I really botched my first few rounds with various flakes (and pressed cakes like Krumble Kake and Penzance in particular) and it scared me off for a while. I had no sense for the expansion that occurs with many flakes and ended up with very uneven burns and plugged bowls; as air blockage developed I would suck harder, try using the needle-tool to open up airflow and keep trying to relight - worn out tongue and overall bad experience. Very frustrating.

What Sr Mike says - take the time to figure it out. Great stuff out there in Flakeville. Fold it, break it, rub it out, whatever - just don't PACK it into a bowl - let it breath easy and then tamp (gently) if you must, to keep it burning evenly. What Sr Mike says about a sprinkle of crumbs atop is a key to getting an easy, even burn going with many flakes.

(And, speaking as a highly qualified Old Fart, I think from the foto that ted'pa is trying to smoke dried corned beef, but WTH. Whatever. Kids? Who can understand 'em?)

Mister Moo
12-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Next.

BigFrank
12-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Is it necessary to clean a pipe in between every smoke?
Could you smoke a few times before cleaning it?
Should the pipe be cleaned before being put away?

Mister Moo
12-19-2008, 09:47 PM
Is it necessary to clean a pipe in between every smoke?
Could you smoke a few times before cleaning it?
Should the pipe be cleaned before being put away?Different strokes, B'ank. Some are more antiseptic than others.

Personally, I like to put a pipe back up clean. I'll always spit-clean the pipe rim with a paper napkin from the heap of boosted fast-food restaurant collection napkins; a swipe or two with a bristle and/or a fluffy pipe cleaner and a bent pipecleaner swipe of the bowl to remove and remaining tobacco chunks, unburned leaf (if any) and loose ash. The, last but not least, a hard puff to blow out remaining ashy powder. I rarely put a pipe away without a modest cleaning.

Others say... ?

darb85
12-22-2008, 04:45 PM
whats the best way to pack a pipe? How tight should it be? My first shot was way too tight.

I have the following tools Pipe Cleaners, pipe lighter and a Czech pipe tool. Do I need anything else?

what is the best way to keep pipe tobbaco? Also, Some general care for my pipe? its a Savinelli Pisa.

Thanks FOGs!

Mister Moo
12-22-2008, 07:21 PM
whats the best way to p...O M ... somebody else, please, save him from the "P" word!

darb85
12-22-2008, 07:56 PM
O M ... somebody else, please, save him from the "P" word!

Shall I use Load? Ive figured out by mistake that you dont load it in there and mash down, but I havent figured out what exactly im supposed to do I suppose.

schnell987
12-22-2008, 10:56 PM
O M ... somebody else, please, save him from the "P" word!

:r:r:r This is definately going to be added to my subscribed threads. :r:r:r

Mister Moo
12-23-2008, 05:42 AM
Shall I use Load? Ive figured out by mistake that you dont load it in there and mash down, but I havent figured out what exactly im supposed to do I suppose.Anything but "pack".

Three stage, or child/woman/man method works for most people. There are other filling methods that smokers employ but the 3-stage is pretty much foolproof

1. let loose tobak fall in under gravity until full - push down halfway;
2. evenly/gently wad up some tobak, enough to half-fill the bowl, and push it atop the gravity fill;
3. firmly wad a smaller clod of tobak and push it atop the previous fill.

Pipe should end up not quite full to the brim and draw should be easy - lightly restricted at most. New briar should be only half-filled for a couple of dozen smokes. Light evenly, puff and char the top. Tamp smooth and relight if needed. Burn should be even and nothing is supposed to end up in your mouth except smoke.

Benwoo
12-23-2008, 08:22 AM
Hello gents. I just picked up a newbie Briar on a vacation trip to Monterey last week. I fumbled through a few bowls over the weekend and found that I like the pipe but I need to buy stock in matches. I've read one of the major FAQ's and it mentioned tamping the bowl while smoking. So I have a couple questions about the mid smoking tamp.

1. Is this only done if/when the bowl goes out? Or should it be done carefully even if the bowl is still burning?

2. How does one know when to perform this mid smoke tamping? I did notice an ash lattice work develop in my bowl so I'm assuming sometime around then =)

3. What's the purpose? It would seem the light ash would plug up the works if tamped but maybe it would help to keep the bowl lit more often.

I was even contemplating taking my cigar cutter and whacking one of my cigars into "plugs" to drop into the pipe. :ss Any thoughts? I know it sounds kind of silly when you have a perfectly fine cigar but I think I like smoking from a pipe better.

Thanks for the help!
Chris

Mister Moo
12-23-2008, 08:27 AM
Yet another word on the "P" word. New pipe smokers think they should "pack" a pipe. I eschew the use of the word pack relative to pipes. It's the wrong message. Pack is not what you should do with a pipe. Everything about "packing" a pipe ends up with a pipe that is improperly filled and won't smoke properly. Fill a pipe. Load a pipe. Prime a pipe. Prepare a pipe. Caress a bowl with tobacco if you must, but never PACK a pipe. A packed pipe by implication is a carelessly prepared and, ultimately, PLUGGED UP pipe.

And while we're on the subject. A befouled packed pipe will not suddenly get made right by using that pointy poker-thingie on the multi-tool, either. That pointy poker thingie has a couple of uses but it isn't much good for correcting a pipe that is overstuffed and rapidly expanding into a rock-solid blockage of the airhole. Fergettabowdit. It is VERY good for getting the squirter thingie on the Zippo fluid can lifted open, though.

Pack a bag.
Pack a punch.
Pack a bearing.
Pack a lunch.

Don't pack a pipe.

This post is my Christmas present to all the new pipe smokers who are wandering these halls. Happy day. :)

Mister Moo
12-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Hello gents. I just picked up a newbie Briar on a vacation trip to Monterey last week. I fumbled through a few bowls over the weekend and found that I like the pipe but I need to buy stock in matches. I've read one of the major FAQ's and it mentioned tamping the bowl while smoking. So I have a couple questions about the mid smoking tamp.

1. Is this only done if/when the bowl goes out? Or should it be done carefully even if the bowl is still burning?

2. How does one know when to perform this mid smoke tamping? I did notice an ash lattice work develop in my bowl so I'm assuming sometime around then =)

3. What's the purpose? It would seem the light ash would plug up the works if tamped but maybe it would help to keep the bowl lit more often.

I was even contemplating taking my cigar cutter and whacking one of my cigars into "plugs" to drop into the pipe. :ss Any thoughts? I know it sounds kind of silly when you have a perfectly fine cigar but I think I like smoking from a pipe better.

Thanks for the help!
ChrisThe nature of the tamp was best described (for me) by BOTL EvanS. He said use a tamper to "collapse" the ash column. In fact, if you only ever need to tamp/collapse the ash column in your pipe (as opposed to "compressing" the ash column) then you have probably filled your pipe near to perfectly.

Planning for expansion prevents a plugged up pipe minutes after the first light. A proper fill and sensitive tamping accounts, as much as possible, for tobacco expansion during the smoke. As the tobak burns it may expand outward and upward and make it difficult for the burning pieces of tobak to stay in contact with one another. The draw may become completely unrestricted and the light may extinguish. If you feel this process getting a foothold, a gentle tamp atop the ash column may reconnect the embers and commence a continued good burn. When I feel a pipe drawing very loosely and notice that smoke isn't very rich I'll press gently with a tamper and puff - usually the pipe fires right back up. Pressing too lightly is no problem - just press again a tad harder; but pressing too hard may overly compact the remaining tobacco which, when reheated, will expand and plug he bowl. Just go easy with the tamping. A gentle tamp on a properly filled bowl is a light touch.

Tampers come in different diameters. Take care not to use one that is too large for your pipe or you'll scrape off the cake you've been working on. The tamper on the Czech multi-tool covers the bases for most pipes and most people. A large nail is good - and cheap. Many people are satisfied finger-tampers.

I like cigars and I like pipes but am not fond of cigar leaf (or cigar chunks) in a pipe, though. Many are - it might be perfect for you. Somebody here smokes Lipton Tea in their pipe. Whatever. We are open minded and this is a no-snob zone. So, if you want to take cigar chunks and screw up a perfectly good pipe and make me want to barf just thinking about it, WTH? Have at it. Merry Christmas, you sick, twisted degenerate.

drevim
12-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Here's a couple:

A question I've never heard a clear answer for....

How does one know if the pipe they have is a good "smoker"?

To elaborate, how do I know if my process is poor, or if the pipe is just not a good one. I've always heard price isn't always a tell tale sign of a good smoking pipe, as proven by ebay purchases from a number of people.

Second:

Using cigars as a reference, a particular brand (at least with cubans) have a similar taste through out the marcas. This is clearly not the case with pipe tobacco, short of saying Pease is the Lat king. Do you find it possible to favor a brand, or is it just a "try as much as possible" thing? Seek out VAs, across the board, because I enjoy VAs?

Mister Moo
12-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Here's a couple:

A question I've never heard a clear answer for....

How does one know if the pipe they have is a good "smoker"?

To elaborate, how do I know if my process is poor, or if the pipe is just not a good one. I've always heard price isn't always a tell tale sign of a good smoking pipe, as proven by ebay purchases from a number of people.
I'll have a go at your very interesting question #1, Drev's.

You know because you know, after sufficient experience. Elaboration: once you have enough experience under your belt to properly fill and burn through a bowl evenly, time after time, you will begin to notice that some pipes do parts of the process better than other.

Early on the smoker is necessarily concerned with "am I tamping too much" or "is the tobacco too wet" or "did I fill the bowl too tightly" to really grasp what the pipe is doing. Absent some reasonable amount of experience comfortably smoking tobacco "a" in a couple of pipes, it's hard to judge what one pipe does differently than another.

Once you get a handle on the fill, the even burn, the tamp and how to judge tobacco for wet/dry or rubbing of (flake) folding, etc., you will probably have a few pipes with some developing cake. Now you begin to cipher out what one pipe does differently than another with a given tobacco. In other words, and to answer part of your question: you can know your pipes AFTER you develop your process. In my view. As an old Fart.

I have a $7.00 ebay bulldog that, after cleaning and reaming etc. has only ever smoked cool, dry and gurgle-less. I have other pipes at 10x or 20x the cost that overheat quickly or were chronic gurglers without some modifications. A pipe from a highly regarded craftsman or factory will probably smoke well but there's no guarantee; a crap piece of no-name briar may smoke better than your Uncle Bob's Dunhill. Go figure.

You can bend the odds of getting a good smoking pipe by studying certain parts of pipe geometry* before you buy; and good cake makes for a generally cooler and drier piece of briar as tie passes. You can understand your pipes better after you are totally comfortable with the process.

*Always carry a little LED flashlight. Inspect the airhole position entering the bottom of the bowl looking for center-low. Blow thru the pipe and hope not to hear a whistle, some say. Measure, with a pipe cleaner, the depth of the mortise in the shank relative to the length of the tenon - it is good when they are very close to the same length/depth, thus avoiding a water/gurgle trap. Stuff like that.

This may be my clearest answer ever, btw. Happy holidays, mate.

drevim
12-28-2008, 10:29 PM
A straight forward answer from Dan, the 4th sign of the apocalypse. :r

Thanks, I was afraid it came down to experience. Hence the reason I tend to stay away from the higher end briars until I get a better feel. I have seen recently that even a highly respected custom carver can't bat .1000, and that scares the .... out of me.

Guess all I can do is smoke more....;)

Thanks again, and have a great holiday yourself, sir.

DrDubzz
12-28-2008, 11:51 PM
ok, I have a question I can't seem to find the answer to

I've read descriptions of tobak say, it's almost a honeydew... what does honeydew mean in reference to pipe baccy? (unless it just means it's the flavor)

Mister Moo
12-29-2008, 07:40 AM
A straight forward answer from Dan, the 4th sign of the apocalypse. :r

Thanks, I was afraid it came down to experience. Hence the reason I tend to stay away from the higher end briars until I get a better feel....Funny boy... :salute:

There are good reasons why Old Farts often suggest to newblings that they commence with a cob. The cob is inexpensive, smokes brilliantly and lacks most of the performance difficulties or nuances that characterize many briars. A cob lets you learn the mechanics of filling, lighting, tamping and tasting without trying to figure out how your briar is performing. Having grown comfortable with what you call the "process" it becomes easier to sort out the character of the operating briar. Learning curve.

Slow Triathlete
12-29-2008, 09:34 AM
ok, I have a question I can't seem to find the answer to

I've read descriptions of tobak say, it's almost a honeydew... what does honeydew mean in reference to pipe baccy? (unless it just means it's the flavor)

I've always assumed that it has to do with the flavor and/or the aroma. Unless other people out there are doing other things to Honeydews that I don't know about.

BigFrank
12-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Storage of bulk baccy?

Which are exceptable?

Mason Jars?
Tupperware?
Ziploc Bags?
Glass Jars with seal lid?

Sr Mike
12-30-2008, 05:40 AM
Storage of bulk baccy?

Which are exceptable?

Mason Jars?
Tupperware?
Ziploc Bags?
Glass Jars with seal lid?
Each item listed will store tobacco, but only keep for a certain period of time. I keep tobacco in a bag from the local shop if I can smoke through it within a week or two. Any longer and the tobacco will dry out. Tupperware will last just a little longer than bags, so not ideal for long time storage.

Both glass jars will hold for a rather long time, a mason jar can be sealed air tight, the air left inside is good for the aging process of tobacco. But to seal a mason jar, heat is required which will alter the flavor and aging of the tobacco. A glass jar with a rubber seal is good, but after time the rubber seal can wear out. It will hold more air than a sealed mason jar, so it may age differently.

I will also add tins to your list of containers to use for storing bulk tobacco, they are rather cheap and easy to come by. Many have extra sitting around. I have read that these can be vacuum sealed at home without heat. These may be good for long term storage, but usually the tins are not large enough for bulk storage and a lot more tins will be required.

It all depends if you are going to smoke it now or later.

BigFrank
12-30-2008, 01:34 PM
What about tobacco that has been sitting in baggies for a period of time? Do they need to be re-hydrated or is it more of a case by case basis?

DubintheDam
12-30-2008, 02:37 PM
case by case, but moisture buttons are super handy...dub

Sr Mike
12-30-2008, 04:13 PM
Dub's right, check each bag to determine if they are good or not. If the bags were stored in a humid environment, then the tobacco may not be dried out.

Benwoo
12-31-2008, 07:14 AM
Ok... In my recent huntings to expand the pipe collection I started noticing some details. My new Savinelli pipe showed up and had a little wand stamped in gold on the stem. It seemed from searching around that each manf may do their own little brand, but then on Ebay I see an "Oscar" with the same stamp on the stem. So is it a telling brand mark? Would it seem that some mixing and matching of parts happened? It's not mission critical to me that everything is the same. My shank and stem align flawlessly. I'm just trying to get a grip on things.

Chris

BigFrank
01-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Do Cob Pipes suffer from ghosting?

Dennis569
01-04-2009, 09:33 PM

Thanks in advance.

Give me a bottle of Everclear and 24 hrs. and I'll banish damn near anything.

darb85
01-05-2009, 01:19 AM
Im having trouble keeping my pipe lite. I puff every 10-15 seconds or so, but not constantly, but never more than 30 seconds between puffs. But I seem to be losing my light 8 or 9 times per bowl, and in my pipe a bowl only lasts about 20 minutes. Is this common? or is this indicitive of something else?

thanks!

Brad

Mister Moo
01-05-2009, 05:41 AM
Im having trouble keeping my pipe lite. I puff every 10-15 seconds or so, but not constantly, but never more than 30 seconds between puffs. But I seem to be losing my light 8 or 9 times per bowl, and in my pipe a bowl only lasts about 20 minutes. Is this common? or is this indicitive of something else?

thanks!

BradProbably a simple case of gooey aromatic tobacco or perhaps "frozen flame" that affects so many in Traverse City in December. Can you light a match and then break the flame in half with your fingers? If not...

Most of staying-lighted problems are resolved with practice, patience and half-filled bowls. Follow the tried and true advice about a bowl-filling method that always allows only the slightest airflow restriction, only tamp lightly to keep the burning embers in contact with one-anotherand avoid using an overly moist tobak. Since this is more qualitative than quantitative it means, "keep trying" and it'll all fall into place.

Pipes with crappy enough airflow do prevent a decent smoke do exist but they are far less of a problem than improper pipe-filling technique. Mostly, new-to-pipe people tend to fill the bowl too tightly and tamp too firmly. Also, relights happen. Maybe not a dozen per bowl - but relights may be part of the deal according to the pipe, the tobak and the experience level.

Want a develop a steady burn? Use a cob (or your preferred briar), a proper 1-2-3 fill and some Carter Hall or Prince Albert.

darb85
01-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Probably a simple case of gooey aromatic tobacco or perhaps "frozen flame" that affects so many in Traverse City in December. Can you light a match and then break the flame in half with your fingers? If not...

Most of staying-lighted problems are resolved with practice, patience and half-filled bowls. Follow the tried and true advice about a bowl-filling method that always allows only the slightest airflow restriction, only tamp lightly to keep the burning embers in contact with one-anotherand avoid using an overly moist tobak. Since this is more qualitative than quantitative it means, "keep trying" and it'll all fall into place.

Pipes with crappy enough airflow do prevent a decent smoke do exist but they are far less of a problem than improper pipe-filling technique. Mostly, new-to-pipe people tend to fill the bowl too tightly and tamp too firmly. Also, relights happen. Maybe not a dozen per bowl - but relights may be part of the deal according to the pipe, the tobak and the experience level.

Want a develop a steady burn? Use a cob (or your preferred briar), a proper 1-2-3 fill and some Carter Hall or Prince Albert.

Frozen flame. Love it. Thanks again! Probably a combination of the tobak and my packing technique, though I think im better at that now, now just to keep it lit! :D:pi

Mister Moo
01-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Probably a combination of the tobak and my packing technique...Pack a snowball. Pack a lunch. Pack a bearing. Pack a punch. But, please, never pack a pipe.

Filling a pipe by a thoughtful and practiced process allows perfect burns and minimum relights. Packing (ugh!) a pipe insures maximum relights, plugged airways, cosmetically damaged tongues and that sort of newb dissatisfaction with pipes that leaves good pipes resigned to drawers.

FWIW, all this has already been covered in my sig line, below.

The first ex-Mrs. Moo's grandfather used to be the mayor up there back when electricity was new, by the way. I almost died from hypothermia while sailing a Hobiecat on the west bay once in mid-July.

darb85
01-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Pack Snow, not pipes. got it. My technique went better today 4 relights only gotta get some lighter fluid for my pipe zippo or im going to own a match company. :D Im getting there. I love pipes now. good stuff

Oh and ya, sailing on the bay when the water doesnt get much above 65 all year can be cold, but o so fun! thats a pic of me in my avatar sailing on west bay in a race that I won:D

Now, I need to get some decent tobak. the stuff I have is really wet and sticky. Off to nolans!

Mister Moo
01-06-2009, 06:14 AM
Pack Snow, not pipes. got it. My technique went better today 4 relights...

Now, I need to get some decent tobak. the stuff I have is really wet and sticky. Off to nolans!Ah - improved technique renders improved results. Excellent news. Woo hoo.

Look, Darbs - I can't knock what I don't happen to like (aromootics). I can knock the fact that bulk blends at pipe stores may be so loaded with PG humectant that the tobak never dries out, may cause increased relighting annoyance (fill-method notwithstanding) and will pack tight (and stay tight) under very gentle compression. I know many bulk store blends can be enjoyed but, for my tastes, I lean away from them (and, incidentally, towards tobaccos that will be overly dry - and might need water added - if left in a plastic bag or unsealed tin for a week or so). Try it all.

Watch out for thin ice and white outs. :)

Benwoo
01-06-2009, 08:19 AM
I ended up with an estate meerschaum pipe that was a bit more roughed up then I had expected. The bowl is dinged up pretty and there is yellow and grayish mottling on the bowl and shank. I've searched quite awhile last night for a more vigorous cleaning method but I couldn't find anything. I was wondering if anyone has run across and article from more of a restoration angle then maintenance. I almost want to try to strip or leech all the impurities out and start fresh. Then polish the bowl smooth and re-coat. I have a feeling if I go at this with things I think may work I might end up dissolving the pipe. I suppose it wouldn't be much of a lose and the knowledge maybe worth it but if anyone has any guidance it would be appreciated.

Mister Moo
01-06-2009, 10:06 AM
I ended up with an estate meerschaum pipe that was a bit more roughed up then I had expected. The bowl is dinged up pretty and there is yellow and grayish mottling on the bowl and shank. I've searched quite awhile last night for a more vigorous cleaning method but I couldn't find anything. I was wondering if anyone has run across and article from more of a restoration angle then maintenance. I almost want to try to strip or leech all the impurities out and start fresh. Then polish the bowl smooth and re-coat. I have a feeling if I go at this with things I think may work I might end up dissolving the pipe. I suppose it wouldn't be much of a lose and the knowledge maybe worth it but if anyone has any guidance it would be appreciated.I have read such an article while googling something else; it's all about heated beeswax and it sounded like a real fascinating pain. If you can't find anything about it then (screenname) IKMeerschaum is for sure the expert.

Benwoo
01-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Alright I will poke around some more before harassing him. Thanks Moo

DrDubzz
01-06-2009, 07:40 PM
I have one I can't figure out

What makes a pipe a "freehand"? is it a specific shape? I'm confuzzled

Mister Moo
01-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Alright I will poke around some more before harassing him. Thanks Moopm me your email address 'woos; I have the pages of top secret meerschaum information you want.

Slow Triathlete
01-07-2009, 01:32 PM
I have one I can't figure out

What makes a pipe a "freehand"? is it a specific shape? I'm confuzzled

From what I have been able to discern, "Freehand" means when a carver breaks away from the usual shapes that he/she is known for or their specific shape charts. This means that they are usually not using any of the molds or other tools that help them make their usual shapes over and over again.

These tend to be more Organic looking and are usually shaped without a plan in the beginning.

DrDubzz
01-07-2009, 03:31 PM
From what I have been able to discern, "Freehand" means when a carver breaks away from the usual shapes that he/she is known for or their specific shape charts. This means that they are usually not using any of the molds or other tools that help them make their usual shapes over and over again.

These tend to be more Organic looking and are usually shaped without a plan in the beginning.

aahhh ok, just freehand sorta = freeform? that makes sense

BigFrank
01-07-2009, 07:10 PM
self bump

Mister Moo
01-07-2009, 07:21 PM
self bumpI smoke burley blends and VAs in a cob and never noticed a bothersome aftertaste. I really thought some other old fart with lotsa cob background could do better with your inquiry.

Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloo oooooooooooooooooo.....

BigFrank
01-07-2009, 07:27 PM
I smoke burley blends and VAs in a cob and never noticed a bothersome aftertaste. I really thought some other old fart with lotsa cob background could do better with your inquiry.

Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllloo oooooooooooooooooo.....
Thanks Mr. Moo. I guess there arent many experienced smokers here. You are alone in a sea of newbs.!!!:pi

Mister Moo
01-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks Mr. Moo. I guess there arent many experienced smokers here. You are alone in a sea of newbs.!!!:piOh crap.

One of the all time greats - I mean a regular "Mr. Big" of pipeology - advised not to smoke english blend in a cob so, mostly, I never did. Latakia may foul a cob for eternity for all I know. It will muddle a punchy english blend a bit so, after a few tries with english bacc'er I kept my cobs for Carter Hall and VA or VaPer, with which a cob shines.

Benwoo
01-08-2009, 07:46 AM
So now I have to worry about which blends I smoke in what type of pipe:eek:

Um... WTB: Pipe cheat sheet! :D

I'll have to make a flowchart :rolleyes:

Chris

ucla695
01-08-2009, 02:15 PM
I’m ready to step into the world of pipes, but I primarily smoke outdoors (wife’s decree :D). Is this a problem or can pipes be smoked outdoors too?

DrDubzz
01-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm not an old fart, but I smoke outside almost exclusively as well, no problems for me

ucla695
01-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Phew. I’m glad to hear this. Thanks!

Benwoo
01-08-2009, 02:37 PM
I smoked mine at the beach last weekend in a light breeze. it can be done! :D

Mister Moo
01-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Phew. I’m glad to hear this. Thanks!"Phew" sort of. Let me add some elements of alarm. Unlike Frick and Frack stumbling on the beaches with their pipes and cognacs, I am an actual Old Fart who is here to pop your bubbles..

You can drop a cigar on the driveway and probably not miss a beat; drop a fine briar or meerschaum pipe outside and you might get sick.

A pipe does require a certain amount of hardware in hand. Face it - most of us carry purses that we cleverly call manbags or camera cases. There are pouches of tobacco to consider (optional, once a pipe is filled and ready to go for a walk); a pipe tool/tamper; and the odd pipe cleaner in case you get to gurgling. And, of course, matches or a lighter.

It is said new briar pipe should never be smoked where a breeze is present. A slight breeze across a bowl can damage the pipe until it is well broken in (i.e., has a carbon-cake developed inside the bowl). I wouldn't be worried about a cob or a meer in that respect.

Root
01-08-2009, 05:29 PM
How many flavor withdraws of SH 20Anny does it take to get to the bottom of a bowl, given that the bowl is 7/8" x 1.75" ?

Pray, I hope you can tell me...

Mister Moo
01-08-2009, 05:40 PM
How many puffs of SH 20Anny does it take to get to the bottom of a bowl, given that the bowl is 7/8" x 1.75" ?

Pray, I hope you can tell me...Possibly the most ridiculous first post in the history of the entire "Ask An Old Fart" thread. This question is SOoooooooooooooooo dumb that it proves you have never smoked a pipe in your life. Root-Schmoot. You're a troll. Troll! Troll! :c

(Listen up, you pesky Boswell-sniffer. I think I know who you are. I am hanging here by a thread, practically all by myself, trying to pass off my phony old-fart status as wisdom and get pipe-newguys off on the right foot. If you're not really a troll I hope you'll hang around here and help out. Normally I would only hang around the coffee forum but it is ruled by thugs who like Maxwell House and Starbux. I thought I'd see how much damage I could do here, instead.)

BigFrank
01-08-2009, 06:36 PM
I’m ready to step into the world of pipes, but I primarily smoke outdoors (wife’s decree :D). Is this a problem or can pipes be smoked outdoors too?
I'm still a newbie, but I think I can offer some advise on this. I am in a similar situation. Not allowed to smoke inside. Unless the Wife is gone and I have candles onhand.

Anyways, some aromatic tobacco, and some non aromatic have a very good "room note" I think that is what its called anyway. Its when the 2nd hand smoke from the pipe actually smells pleasent. Some baccys that I smoke oddly enough I am allowed to smoke inside. When the Wife sees me inside with the pipe I always get the " That better not be that stinky smelling pipe ".

ucla695
01-09-2009, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the replies. I smoke the majority of my cigars out back and was thinking about doing the same with a pipe.

It is said new briar pipe should never be smoked where a breeze is present. A slight breeze across a bowl can damage the pipe until it is well broken in (i.e., has a carbon-cake developed inside the bowl). I wouldn't be worried about a cob or a meer in that respect.

This is what I was worried about, so I plan on buying a cob pipe first to see if it's for me and then I'll take it from there. My dad used to smoke pipes some 30 years ago, so I might also try one of his meers.

Anyways, some aromatic tobacco, and some non aromatic have a very good "room note" I think that is what its called anyway. Its when the 2nd hand smoke from the pipe actually smells pleasent. Some baccys that I smoke oddly enough I am allowed to smoke inside. When the Wife sees me inside with the pipe I always get the " That better not be that stinky smelling pipe ".

That's an interesting angle on smoking inside. I'll have to suggest it. Do you always smoke in the same spot when you smoke inside? The reason I ask is I'm wondering about any discoloration on the ceiling from the smoke.

Mister Moo
01-09-2009, 09:49 AM
This is what I was worried about, so I plan on buying a cob pipe first to see if it's for me and then I'll take it from there. My dad used to smoke pipes some 30 years ago, so I might also try one of his meers.
Forget any negative impressions you may have held about corncob pipes. Find one that has a more/less airtight stem and you'll have a fine smoker (after the wood stem sticking into the chamber chars a bit - 3-4 bowlsful). Missouri Meerschaum (MM) makes all the old reliable standard stuff; I favor the MM Great Dane for its' large capacity and longer smoke. Most of the others in the MM line have smaller bowls and offer a 20-30 minute smoke.

Depending on who-knows-what any cob can last for weeks, months or years. If you get one and never actually smoke it, the pipe could last indefinitely.

Root
01-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Possibly the most ridiculous first post in the history of the entire "Ask An Old Fart" thread. This question is SOoooooooooooooooo dumb that it proves you have never smoked a pipe in your life. Root-Schmoot. You're a troll. Troll! Troll! :c

(Listen up, you pesky Boswell-sniffer. I think I know who you are. I am hanging here by a thread, practically all by myself, trying to pass off my phony old-fart status as wisdom and get pipe-newguys off on the right foot. If you're not really a troll I hope you'll hang around here and help out. Normally I would only hang around the coffee forum but it is ruled by thugs who like Maxwell House and Starbux. I thought I'd see how much damage I could do here, instead.)

Hey i may look the part of an Ogre but never a troll. And for the answer, it was a test, for the old fart should know the correct response would be "Never enough".
That said, I stand to service with you though I do pack my pipe.

darb85
01-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Hey i may look the part of an Ogre but never a troll. And for the answer, it was a test, for the old fart should know the correct response would be "Never enough".
That said, I stand to service with you though I do pack my pipe.

Ill pack your pipe...:r

Slow Triathlete
01-09-2009, 11:10 AM

In my experience they don't to a point. If you smoke something that has a distinct, strong taste or aroma, such as Gawith's 1792 flake, it will begin to ghost after a few pipefuls. However, it will go away faster in a cob than in a briar.

Old Fart Out

ucla695
01-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Forget any negative impressions you may have held about corncob pipes. Find one that has a more/less airtight stem and you'll have a fine smoker (after the wood stem sticking into the chamber chars a bit - 3-4 bowlsful). Missouri Meerschaum (MM) makes all the old reliable standard stuff; I favor the MM Great Dane for its' large capacity and longer smoke. Most of the others in the MM line have smaller bowls and offer a 20-30 minute smoke.

Depending on who-knows-what any cob can last for weeks, months or years. If you get one and never actually smoke it, the pipe could last indefinitely.

Great advice. Much appreciated!

Mister Moo
01-09-2009, 12:52 PM
...the old fart should know the correct response would be "Never enough".With you having blown the lid off this 20th Anni thing I will admit I don't mention it much for fear many more people will read the thread, order the tobak and tell everyone else about it. Then the price goes up and the supply goes down and I am screwed.

So much for THAT big secret. ;)

Great to have you here, Rootie-toot.

Mister Moo
01-09-2009, 12:54 PM
So, can we make an official list of contributing Old Farts. Old Fart as defined in post #1:

Terms of Service: to ask you have to have a serious question; to reply you must have a minimum two years pipe smoking experience. (No snob zone.) There are no stupid questions. Nobody can beat someone with a "Use the search funtion" lead pipe. There will be no rude replies no matter how many times your question has been asked - nosir, not in THIS thread. Maybe a little tiny bit of sarcasm though, just to keep it interesting.

Mister Moo (Dan)
Root
Slow Triathlete
Sr Mike
DubInTheDam
Neuromancer

BigFrank
01-09-2009, 01:40 PM
That's an interesting angle on smoking inside. I'll have to suggest it. Do you always smoke in the same spot when you smoke inside? The reason I ask is I'm wondering about any discoloration on the ceiling from the smoke.
When I smoke outside I either watch my son play outside, but now it is too cold so I either sit on the steps or take a little stroll...

I usually smoke on the sofa or at my pc desk. Ceiling looks fine.

Slow Triathlete
01-09-2009, 01:48 PM
So, can we make an official list of contributing Old Farts. Old Fart as defined in post #1:

Mister Moo (Dan)
Root
Slow Triathlete
Sr Mike
DubInTheDam
Neuromancer

Who you calling an Old Fart?!?!

Root
01-09-2009, 01:50 PM
With you having blown the lid off this 20th Anni thing I will admit I don't mention it much for fear many more people will read the thread, order the tobak and tell everyone else about it. Then the price goes up and the supply goes down and I am screwed.

So much for THAT big secret. ;)

Great to have you here, Rootie-toot.

Ahh never fear, think it through. It has latakia, 50+% gone right there. You can get it only 1 place + some shows, another big % down. Sells only in one big ass can, % down for fear of unknown in large amounts. Costs some bills compared to others, last % down to you, me and 5 other guys who know what's to know about it. And I must remark SH 20anny ain't for everybody cause it tastes like p00.

I come to help.

Burleys love Cobs.
Cobs do ghost as any pipe that is porous, its just that some ghosts like Kasper are friendly while others don't play well with others.

Mister Moo
01-09-2009, 04:18 PM
And I must remark SH 20anny ain't for everybody cause it tastes like p00.

I come to help.Spot on. Tastes like poo.

BigFrank
01-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Who you calling an Old Fart?!?!
denial is a terrible thing buddy!!! :r:r

12stones
01-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Okay, I got one... What's the best way to rehydrate some dry baccy?

drevim
01-09-2009, 10:48 PM
How does one fill (see I'm learning) a pipe with poo? :r

Cause no one likes tight packed poo.

Mister Moo
01-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Okay, I got one... What's the best way to rehydrate some dry baccy?Best? I dunno.

If I have totally dried out tobak I put it on a piece of paper and hit it with a plant sprayer, lightly, with distilled water and toss it about to fluff it up. Repeat, allowing time for the water to be absorbed, as needed to get the right feel.

Others swear by the water/moisturizing button tossed in a baggie or jar of dry tobak.

Others say...

BTW, I tested apple slices (THIN apple slices) in jar of dry tobacco and it rehydrated dry tobak just fine and did not mold. I hear that apples mold but, I find, not a thin slice or two. Everybodies grandpa was right - but grandpa didn't toss in half a soggy apple - just a skinny wedge.

Root
01-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Okay, I got one... What's the best way to rehydrate some dry baccy?

Pipers clay button has always worked for me. Spray with distilled water and drop in. Day or two and your golden.

How does one fill (see I'm learning) a pipe with poo? :r

By hand.

Fiber helps!

or was that shag?

BigFrank
01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
What's the best way to break in a new pipe?

Mister Moo
01-12-2009, 08:01 PM
What's the best way to break in a new pipe?
By not rushing it.

Personally, I go for a nice, cool-burning easy-to-smoke ribbon cut to break in briar. My latest all-around first choice - bless you Evan - is Carter Hall, direct from the drugstore. If I feel strongly the pipe is destined for latakia, there are many options but Dunhill 965 and Peter Stokkebyes Proper English both fill my bill.

Slowly smoke one-third to half-bowls, over and over and over, allowing dry-out time between smokes. It takes a while. Use a tamper with care to avoid scratching new cake from the insides; leave no unburned flecks of tobacco stuck to the pipe walls. As cake builds in the lower half, progressively fill the bowl (if it suits you) higher. Do it patiently and you'll build a conical cake, a little thicker in the lower part of the bowl than the upper.

BigFrank
01-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the answer Mr. Moo. Would a straight VA be good for breaking in a new pipe? Ive got some Navy Flake bulk laying around that is rather light. I think it has a little perique in it, but I can't taste any of it in the blend. Or maybe some FVF.
I would like to dedicate the new pipe to either VA or VA/Per. I find that bent pipes smoke rather well with virginia's. For me at least.

Mister Moo
01-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the answer Mr. Moo. Would a straight VA be good for breaking in a new pipe? Ive got some Navy Flake bulk laying around that is rather light. I think it has a little perique in it, but I can't taste any of it in the blend. Or maybe some FVF.
I would like to dedicate the new pipe to either VA or VA/Per. I find that bent pipes smoke rather well with virginia's. For me at least.Welllllll... yeahhhhh...... Sure. But but but.... this is the place for new pipe smokers to get down with their "burning questions" of the moment, so...

Thing is, even a well-rubbed Escudo flake can be a little touchy when it comes to filling a pipe uniformly (and burning through it evenly) compared to a nice pedestrian ribbon cut tobak. Not that that's the end of the world but, with a new pipe, I'd argue, give it a break for the a first few smokes. At least consider an ounce of a nice ribbon cut VA or VAPer to get a good start on some cake. And, you know, VA tends to burn hotter than burley and english tobak to, why NOT start with an ounce of Carter Hall, anyhow?

Fact is, when I get a new pipe and decide, "This sucker is destined for VA....", I'm now more likely to start it off (lately) with Carter Hall than a ribbon VA. I used to start any new pipe with any VA (flake, etc.) to see how it'd handle it right off the bat but finally decided, "Cut this chit out. It's just a little too hot and chunky for the first few smokes." A dozen or so smokes with Carter Hall won't ruin your pipe for FVF a month down the road; burning an airhole with some hot VA might.

Other opinions may vary. This is just my view. I would really appreciate hearing from other Old Farts on this issue, too. I will try to invite a special guest in to add some thoughts here as well.

Slow Triathlete
01-13-2009, 03:03 PM
I see Moo's point with this one. But I usually just start out with whatever I'm going to smoke in that pipe.

BigFrank
01-13-2009, 04:01 PM
thanks for the answers again. If I get a chance, I will stop by a store that has pipe baccy. I think rite aid has carter hall. Im sure they have other burley blends. What other baccys have a similar profile to carter hall?

Root
01-13-2009, 05:17 PM
thanks for the answers again. If I get a chance, I will stop by a store that has pipe baccy. I think rite aid has carter hall. Im sure they have other burley blends. What other baccys have a similar profile to carter hall?

Prince Albert and to a lesser degree Sir Walter Raleigh are great.

Stay away from Granger and Half & Half they're too wet..

Mister Moo
01-14-2009, 05:34 AM
I would like to dedicate the new pipe to either VA or VA/Per. I find that bent pipes smoke rather well with virginia's. For me at least.

So much to say on this topic but, in the end, it all boils down to what works for you. Here is a great conclusion to this question (for now) from http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Packing_and_Smoking_technique s:

"Breaking in" your pipe

The process of "breaking in" a pipe serves two functions. First, any saps, resins, acids, stains, demons, or other nasty things that have remained in the briar are driven out. Second, and most importantly, a "cake"--the layer of charred residue that builds up inside the bowl as tobacco is smoked in it--is developed. This cake protects the bowl of the pipe from the heat of burning tobacco and prevents it from "burning out." It should be noted that most of the information in this section applies to briar pipes only. Most other pipes require no break in period, or at most a very brief one. Additionally, one should not allow a cake to build up in a meerschaum or clay, as this could cause the bowl to crack.

It is important to smoke a new pipe slowly, to avoid damaging the naked briar. Some recommend that a new pipe be filled only one-third to one-half full for the first several smokes, after which the bowl can be filled a little more with each smoke. To be honest, this procedure is not necessary, but I always recommend it--and usually practice it--because it is all too easy to damage a new pipe through carelessness. Don't try to rush the break-in period, and don't be overly concerned if a new pipe has a bitter taste. Some pipes break in easier than others, and it is not uncommon for a pipe that is very difficult to break in to mature into a great smoker.

Some pipes are sold with a bowl coating designed to protect the briar until a cake is built up (sometimes such bowls are called "pre-carbonized"). Many pipes, however, are not so treated. While a "naked" bowl is not likely to be damaged so long as the pipe is smoked slowly, many people advocate preparing the bowl interior of a new pipe. Some recommend that the inside of the bowl be dampened with water to protect the briar, while others recommend honey, or a mixture of honey and water. Honey may help a cake form more quickly, but after trying all of these techniques I find that these days I tend to use nothing at all.

Finally, try not to smoke a new pipe outdoors if you can possibly avoid it. Even a gentle breeze will cause the pipe to burn much hotter than it would indoors, which can irreparably damage a briar that is not protected by a cake. I've never had a problem smoking my pipes outdoors (after they've been broken in, of course), but if you're concerned about possible damage, you can purchase wind caps from your tobacconist which will shield the burning tobacco from the effects of wind.

Fred Hanna has written an excellent article on this subject that we highly recommend called The Mysteries of the Briar Break-in Process (http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Mysteries_of_the_Briar_Break-in_Process).

RevSmoke
01-14-2009, 07:29 AM
First, I guess I should introduce self here. Name is Todd, been smoking pipes and cigars since 1980. I hope that qualifies me as an Old Fart. I normally don't stop over here much, as I have been really enjoying the cigar discussions of late. However, I do read many of the pipe posts.

Now, thought I'd chime in on two different topics broached in this thread.

Rehydrating tobacco & break-in.

I have found a great way to rehydrate "overdry" tobacco (I like to smoke my baccy a little on the dry side). Get a large tupperware (or any container with an airtight seal), say 10X14 and about 5 inches tall. Place a sterile sponge hyper-hydrated with distilled water on a saucer in one corner. Spread your tobacco evenly over the remainder of the bottom and then close. Check first after about 2 hours. Depending on how dry the tobacco and how warm the room, this can work fairly quickly (oh yeah, also the amount of tobacco matters).

This is a good method, as it is a more even way of hydrating than a clay disk or other manner that puts the water in direct contact with the tobacco which can bring on soggy spots.

2) Pipe break-in. When I talk with newbies, I tell them that new pipes need to be smoked slowly to break them in. I have found that choice of tobacco is less important than proper filling and then simply smoking slowly and gently - sipping is the best way to describe it. And, I'd say only sip once every 45 seconds at most. Yes, it takes discipline and patience.

Oh, and expect to get bit if you lose focus.

Find an experienced pipester that can show you how to fill a bowl, if you are not sure. I know there are a number of methods shown on video clips, but I think seeing it live, and allowing to have a hands on feel for how tight a good fill "feels" is helpful. It is true also, that smoking technique is an individual thing and fill may differ for that technique, but only ever so slightly.

I personally also fill the bowl, not this half bowl fill idea. Fill it up and smoke it down. And, if a pipe is going to be dedicated to a certain tobacco, smoke that in it.

Oh, here's another thing to consider. Pipes may groove to a certain type of tobacco more than to any other. I had a nice Don Carlos I was going to dedicate only to straight VA. I wasn't getting the most out of the baccy and if I lost focus, it would bite me. One day I decided to try some Gawith & Hoggarth Mixture #12 in it, and that pipe sang gloriously. It brought out flavors I hadn't noticed before. Oh, and it never bit me again.

Hope this helps.

tedrodgerscpa
01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
I have a question for an Old Fart...

As a cigar smoker, it's easy to plan for travel... throw sticks in travel humi, grab cutter and ligher, and you're off!

What are some of the best (or maybe I really want to know "What are some of the worst") ways to travel with pipes? Padding? Cases? Old dirty socks?

I'm mostly worried about protecting my new investments... The tobacco is pretty durn easy to travel with (throw in ziploc and go)... Keeping the hardware safe and sound may be a different matter.

Nick
01-14-2009, 12:17 PM
As long as the pipes stay safe and aren't beat around or broken they will be just fine. They are some pipe cases you can get out there for fairly cheap and they would work great, some of them will fit multiple pipes as well. I don't have money to be buying stuff like that so I generally use CLEAN ankle socks just to add some padding then I'll pack my pipes in and around my clothes to provide more padding. I have never damaged a pipe during transport so I think this method works pretty well and it's cheap.

Curly Cut
01-14-2009, 01:01 PM
I have never damaged a pipe during transport ....
I, unfortunately, have broken a pipe while using a cigar caddy (poorly packed). Keep the pipes in the sock they came in, inside a pipe box. Most of the time, you can fit two pipes in one box. Then put the box in a big enough cigar caddy. If you have a long bit pipe that you think is rather fragile, take the bit out of the pipe as well.
I travel all the time and take about a 25 count cigar caddy, I can fit 4 pipes (in 2 boxes), plus a few tins/tubs, a bunch of cleaners, a pipe stand (the little plastic single pipe holder kind), a tamper, matches, and plenty of room for small ziploc baggies. When I'm gone, it's normally for around 3 weeks, and that one caddy will easily last me the entire trip.
Do NOT put a pipe rolling around loosely in a cigar caddy along with tins of tobacco. they slide around, next thing you know, the tin bumps into the pipe too hard, or combo of pipe bumping inside the caddy and then hit by the tin at the same time = broken pipe stem.

they do make a cigar case with inserts designed for pipes. "uncle mikey" use to have it.

Mister Moo
01-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Welcome Old Farts RevSmoke, Nick and CurlyCuts. Thanks for coming, sharing your experience and helping out with new-to-pipe persons. :tu

(Be sure to thank your Old Fats, new people. They are all that separates us from the animals and burnouts, you know. And don't forget! This is the only thread where qualified Old Fart helper pipers are only barely allowed to mock you for not using the "Search" function.)

Mister Moo
01-14-2009, 01:39 PM
As long as the pipes stay safe and aren't beat around or broken they will be just fine. They are some pipe cases you can get out there for fairly cheap and they would work great, some of them will fit multiple pipes as well. I don't have money to be buying stuff like that so I generally use CLEAN ankle socks just to add some padding then I'll pack my pipes in and around my clothes to provide more padding. I have never damaged a pipe during transport so I think this method works pretty well and it's cheap.
Good: a cob in your back pocket. Who cares if you break it.
Bad: a cob in your suitcase. It stinks up your clean undies.
Good: a meerschaum kept in the original hard case (if delivered with one) is nice to travel with
Bad: a meerschaum NOT in a hard case

Curly Cut
01-14-2009, 01:54 PM
pipe guardian case from mr. bundles.
http://www.mrbundles.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_134/products_id/1491

Nick
01-14-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm not an old fart at almost 22 but I've been smoking a pipe since I was old enough to buy one so I guess that qualifies me.

Big D KC
01-14-2009, 08:57 PM
pipe guardian case from mr. bundles.
http://www.mrbundles.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_134/products_id/1491

That thing is awesome!

Nick
01-14-2009, 09:49 PM
It looks just like a hard pistol case, hell I got some of those.

Big D KC
01-14-2009, 10:27 PM
As do I, its the inserts that make the difference!

Curly Cut
01-26-2009, 12:43 PM
What's the best way to get rid of oxidation from stems without having to buy a buffer?
sandpaper; toothpaste; gloss over it with olive oil; only have lucite stems?

TheRealBonger
01-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Magic eraser worked really well on my pipe. those things are amazing to have around the house :tu

Mister Moo
01-26-2009, 01:41 PM
What's the best way to get rid of oxidation from stems without having to buy a buffer?
sandpaper; toothpaste; gloss over it with olive oil; only have lucite stems.Answering your own questions? You are obviously a qualified Old Fart. Duly noted and registered, along with the Kid. Welcome new Old Farts. Thanks for bringing your experience to newbloids with pesky questions.

Mister Moo (Dan)
Root
Slow Triathlete
Sr Mike
DubInTheDam
Neuromancer
Nick (Kid Pipe)
Curly Cut

Nick
01-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Answering your own questions? You are obviously a qualified Old Fart. Duly noted and registered, along with the Kid. Welcome new Old Farts. Thanks for bringing your experience to newbloids with pesky questions.

Mister Moo (Dan)
Root
Slow Triathlete
Sr Mike
DubInTheDam
Neuromancer
Nick (Kid Pipe)
Curly Cut

Are you talking about me.:confused:

Mister Moo
01-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Are you talking about me.:confused:I'm afraid so, Nick. At 22 you're well qualified to be an Instructor Old Fart but I'm going to call you The Kid or Kid Pipe. With all due respect. Unless it bothers you - in which case, you don't have to be The Kid. This is a cordial thread and there's no way I'll tag you with a (Quick) Nick Name you don't fancy.

Curly Cut
01-26-2009, 02:15 PM
damn, i had a real question, too.
bunch a VD carryin harry tongued pipe smokers.

Big D KC
01-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Magic eraser worked really well on my pipe. those things are amazing to have around the house :tu

I didn't have as good as luck with the magic eraser as I thought I would have, based on the recommendations from everybody. It somewhat worked, but still left behind quite a bit. If I would have worked them more then I did I fear I would have removed too much stem material. Not to mention you still have to buff them backup afterwards somehow as they will be pretty dull from the magic eraser.

I think in the end a buffer is going to be called for. Only thing I am still having trouble with on the restoration processes is stems.

Curly Cut
01-26-2009, 02:22 PM
i HAD magic erasers, but wifey thought it best to use them on the dang kitchen sinks.

Mister Moo
01-26-2009, 02:27 PM
bunch a VD carryin harry tongued pipe smokers.You are so full of it. You already KNOW the answer to the VD geological hairy tongue question, too. It is wrong to keep asking questions you already know the answer to. Besides, you're hear to ANSWER the hairy tongue pipe smoker VD questions, not ASK them. Jee-zoe. Do you need a manual on this?

They ax - you answer.

Who put you up to this? The Kid? :)

Mister Moo
01-26-2009, 02:30 PM
I like the Micro-Mesh abrasive cloth-backed paper that Smarvy set me up with. It will scour and polish vulcanite, lucite, glass - everything. Great stuff. Never had the good luck with Magic Eraser that others talk about.

http://www.amazon.com/MICRO-MESH-SANDING-SHEETS-INTRODUCTORY/dp/B000H6HIK2/ref=pd_sim_hi_1

Curly Cut
01-26-2009, 02:32 PM
abrasive cloth-backed paper that Smarvy set me up with. They will scour and polish vulcanite, lucite, glass - everything.
where for art thou found?

Mister Moo
01-26-2009, 02:36 PM
where for art thou found?I added a link but, if you like, I'll send you some samples to try. You may prefer the foam backed stuff - I have the cloth. The cloth is very washable, soft and bendy - nothing like sandpaper - but the foam stuff might be easier to handle.

Curly Cut
01-26-2009, 02:43 PM
thx for yet another offer, dan, but you've give me enough already.

Nick
01-26-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm afraid so, Nick. At 22 you're well qualified to be an Instructor Old Fart but I'm going to call you The Kid or Kid Pipe. With all due respect. Unless it bothers you - in which case, you don't have to be The Kid. This is a cordial thread and there's no way I'll tag you with a (Quick) Nick Name you don't fancy.

HAHA that's fine with me, I am a man of few nicknames and always welcome another.:chr

Mister Moo
01-26-2009, 03:39 PM
HAHA that's fine with me, I am a man of few nicknames and always welcome another.:chrKid Pipe it is, then.

Any pipe/tobak questions for an Old Fart out there, people? We don't have all day.

Killjoy
01-26-2009, 03:44 PM
I had a question (I am aplologizing now for the cross posting) how long do sealed cans/tins of tobacco usually keep for???? Where I live it is so dry I usually end up pitching most of it before i can smoke it.

Curly Cut
01-26-2009, 04:09 PM
sealed can/tins keep forever, or until they rust or the seal is broken.

cans/tins that have been opened, but close back up, are not "sealed" any longer.
(i replied in your other thread before seeing this one)

Nick
01-28-2009, 06:44 PM
bunch a VD carryin harry tongued pipe smokers.

I just saw this, haha.....wow bad visual.

piperman
01-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Mr Moo I got the goods, thank you very much. Now I have to learn to smoke.

12stones
01-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Okay, what's the best way to fill your pipe with cake tobacco?

Nick
01-28-2009, 07:17 PM
The best way is the way that works best for you.

I crumble it up and sometimes rub it out.

Curly Cut
01-28-2009, 10:02 PM
just break it apart into little ribbons. load pipe as usual with ribbon.
it pretty much just falls apart in little flake like pieces of tobacco. almost like particle board.

Root
01-29-2009, 07:27 AM
Okay, what's the best way to fill your pipe with cake tobacco?

Just my way and it may not be the best but i enjoy cake.

Big chunks go on the bottom and i work my way up the bowl to the fine grit at the top.

Nick
01-29-2009, 02:14 PM
I have a Rany Wiley that comes to a point at the bottom of the bowl where the draft hole is. The problem is that the tobacco get so condensed at the bottom of the bowl that it has been nearly impossible to smoke it dry. Is there a way to fill or smoke this pipe to make it smoke clear and dry? Thank you

Nick

Mister Moo
01-29-2009, 02:51 PM
I have a Rany Wiley that comes to a point at the bottom of the bowl where the draft hole is. The problem is that the tobacco get so condensed at the bottom of the bowl that it has been nearly impossible to smoke it dry. Is there a way to fill or smoke this pipe to make it smoke clear and dry? Thank you

NickWe still talking cake here - or any tobacco? Not that it would matter so much. but...

Mister Moo
01-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Just my way ... grit at the top.Tiny stuff on top for me too; it permits the easiest light that leads to the most even burn which, for me, leads to the most carefree pleasurable smoke.

Nick
01-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Well the pipe won't smoke dry towards the bottom therefore it is not developing cake and because there is no cake it won't smoke dry at the bottom. I'm looking for tip in tobacco filling or possibly smoking technique. I only have this problem in this pipe.

Big D KC
01-29-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm by no means an Old Fart, but first thing that comes to mind is to start smoking 1/4 to 1/2 bowls of some prince albert or carter hall in it to work on caking that portion first. It will be burnt and gone before any real moisture builds. Once it starts to cake down there the dryness should come, which will allow bigger bowls. Rinse & repeat till your smokin full ones!

Nick
01-29-2009, 03:20 PM
I've been trying the 1/2 bowls with little success I may have to pick up some PA for it though.

uncballzer
01-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Don't let the bad ole Moo scare you guys! Think of him as Dr. House from the show House, or Dr. Cox from Scrubs. Or, for you old farts, Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge; he won't hold it for you while taking a leak, but he'll have you smoking a pipe perfectly faster than Will Ferrel can make another $hitty movie!

Nick
01-29-2009, 06:16 PM
True, last good one was Anchorman.

Slow Triathlete
01-30-2009, 07:42 AM

Nick

Just thread some pipe cleaners in there a couple of times when you are smoking. I do this often to clear out the draft hole and also to dry things up in the bottom of the pipe.

Mister Moo
01-30-2009, 07:54 AM
...he won't hold it for you while taking a leak, I thought the attornies agreed this was a private matter? Jeez. In my own thread, too.

I was wondering if Nick's pipe might be a little restricted on the airway. Have you checked the hole diameter with a drill for a clear 5/16", Nick? A slight restriction can keep a good pipe damp or gurgling. And a slight routing out can make it dry in about 3-seconds.

I never messed with that srt of thing until the good EvanS sent me a Senior (how appropriate) Reamer. Hidden in the handle is a 5/16" bit with a nice knurled grabber-knob on one end. A couple of twists with that thing has made a big difference in a few on my pipes.

Mister Moo
01-30-2009, 08:26 AM
5/16"Oops. Make that 5/32", not 5/16".

Nick
01-30-2009, 09:30 AM
I have done that with nearly all my pipes but this one seemed to draw pretty good from the start. Next time i go home I may try it anyway. That 5/32 drill bit has sure done alot of good for me though.

BigFrank
01-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Anyone have any tips or methods for re-hydrating baccy. Without buying those little button things?

Nick
01-30-2009, 06:22 PM
I have never had to rehydrate tobacco but I have heard some methods.

One was to put an apple wedge or two in a bag with the tobacco. Or put the tobacco in a bowl and lay a wet towel over it until it is at the moisture level you want. Others can probably expand on this for me.

TheJ
01-30-2009, 06:32 PM
My method is just to exhale a few times on top of the tobacco. The steam from my breath usually does the trick.

dogsplayinpoker
01-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Or put the tobacco in a bowl and lay a wet towel over it until it is at the moisture level you want. Others can probably expand on this for me.

This is what I have done with decent results.

Nick
01-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Just remember to stir the tobacco up every few hours to facilitate better results. If part of the tobacco seems much more moist than others, you can put it back in the tin and in a couple days it will round itself out. I have put very dry tobacco in a tin of tobacco that is more moist and 2 days later it's all the same.

BigFrank
02-03-2009, 11:36 AM
With sealing tobacco in mason/ball type jars, how effective would just screwing the lid down tight be?

Curly Cut
02-03-2009, 12:21 PM
i've had zero issues with doing that (still had to pry off the lid as well). i just cracked open a jar for the first time in 8 months or so, and it was still at a great humidity and smelled super strong...
woops had some out of the jar, it was SG FVF.

Mister Moo
02-03-2009, 01:03 PM
I have good re-humidifying results by spreading tobak on paper and issuing a light misting with distilled water from a sprayer (same one I use to keep my winecoolerdor humidified). I let it sit for a few minutes, jumble it and give it the "finger squish" analysis (respray if needed) and then lock it down in a Mason jar. No problems with drying out in a sealed, gasketed jar.

Gotta say that the moisture buttons get great reviews from them what use 'em.

woops
02-03-2009, 01:05 PM
erratum had some with me and commented that the tobacco may still have been a tad moist, as we both had small issues keeping it lit. Since it had been in there for 8 months without a vacuum seal, I'd say it kept very well. I'm still looking for these, in my area.

Curly Cut
02-03-2009, 01:08 PM
erratum had some with me and commented that the tobacco may still have been a tad moist, as we both had small issues keeping it lit. Since it had been in there for 8 months without a vacuum seal, I'd say it kept very well. I'm still looking for these, in my area.

that was just the last time i had opened it, was 8 months ago. it's actually a couple years old, or older.

Tuxguy
02-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Can baccy become to moist and grow mold?
I used a wet paper towel across the top of jar. It wouls but now a month later the baccy is turning white.

Slow Triathlete
02-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Can baccy become to moist and grow mold?
I used a wet paper towel across the top of jar. It wouls but now a month later the baccy is turning white.

Yes it can get moldy. But the white that you are seeing may be sugar crystals. If it is fuzzy then it is mold, if it looks more like sugar crystals then this is part of the aging process and is good.

Tuxguy
02-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Yes it can get moldy. But the white that you are seeing may be sugar crystals. If it is fuzzy then it is mold, if it looks more like sugar crystals then this is part of the aging process and is good.

Just like plume on a cigar I guess.

Coz77
02-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I know its OK to put a pipe down and come back to it hours later with no ill effect.... but how about days?

Curly Cut
02-05-2009, 11:45 AM
i've done it. didn't really improve the taste like a standard DGT would, was kinda stale and ashy.

Mister Moo
02-05-2009, 12:34 PM
I know its OK to put a pipe down and come back to it hours later with no ill effect.... but how about days?http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper353/stills/zr985s32.jpg

You can live on it but it tastes like chit.

- Mick Dundee

Nick
02-05-2009, 02:14 PM
It'll smoke but can't imagine how it will taste.

Root
02-05-2009, 08:59 PM
I know its OK to put a pipe down and come back to it hours later with no ill effect.... but how about days?

I will say it depends. Some tobacco can hold, many can not.

The best i have found for the many day DGT would be Stonehaven. I found after 5 days it tasted better than fresh. Though that's just me.

Coz77
02-06-2009, 06:25 AM
i've done it. didn't really improve the taste like a standard DGT would, was kinda stale and ashy.

You can live on it but it tastes like chit.

- Mick Dundee

It'll smoke but can't imagine how it will taste.

I will say it depends. Some tobacco can hold, many can not.

The best i have found for the many day DGT would be Stonehaven. I found after 5 days it tasted better than fresh. Though that's just me.

Thanks for the replies guys...I dumped it and filled my bowl with some fresh Trout Stream. :pi

SixPackSunday
02-11-2009, 06:09 PM
quick question guys.

i have a mac barren pipe, with some pipe cleaners that came wiht it.

seems the pipe cleaners are a little big and i have a really hard time getting them in to clean it properly.

just using the wrong size pipe cleaner or am i doing something stupid?

Nick
02-11-2009, 06:16 PM
If using a pipe cleaner with stem out:
It could be that the cleaners are a little too fluffy or that the pipes needs to be "opened up" a little. I usually use a 5/32 drill bit to accomplish this right down into the shank and draft hole, just be careful.

If using a pipe cleaner with stem in:
Is the pipe bent or straight because it could also be that the construction of the pipe makes passing a cleaner tough in which case you have to get creative in your methods.

Curly Cut
02-11-2009, 07:08 PM
i've got some cleaners that i can't get into my pipes even with the most open of draw.
may just need to get skinnier cleaners.

SixPackSunday
02-11-2009, 07:51 PM
thanks curly, i dont feel so dumb now

Curly Cut
02-11-2009, 08:30 PM
there are a # of different kinds of cleaners. i have some that are really nice, almost like a fluffy "sham-wow", but they're so damn thick, can't get them into any pipes at all (and they leave a lot of fuzz).
i have some really skinny ones, those are good on more mass produced pipes with narrower draught holes (or pipes that it's tricky to get the cleaner to pass all the way through).
and then the in-between size, that tapers from thick to thin... i can only use those on my larger draught holed pipes.

the bristle bit cleaners are more for a "cleaning", IMO. i don't run them through until it's time to do a thorough cleaning. the fluffy ones are good enough to get all the bits and juices out of the stem and ash out of the bowl when i'm done. also, the thin ones are easier to get any gurgle/condensation building up in the stem while smoking.

Mister Moo
02-12-2009, 05:39 AM
The (BJ Long, my usual) bags of pipe cleaners look the same but they're not. There are tapered ones, poofy ones, bristled and skinny ones. Look for the Longs 100-count for skinniest; the 60-count are much poofier.

Ratters
02-15-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm about to give the pipe smoking a try after my last experience about 22 years ago. I know all the stuff to get but I'm concerned about the tobacco to try. I saw the reccommended Carters from the drug store and will give that a shot. But do different tobaccos have different "body" and "strength"? I'm probably gonna stay away from aromatics but what are some good one's to try for someone who likes relatively strong cigars? Or is pipe smoking just a completely different kind of thing? Thanks. :pi

Nick
02-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Different pipe tobacco do have different strengths and such. The most general classification is aromatic and non aromatic. This is one of the best sites I've found for explaining tobacco.
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze43wza/smoke/tobacco.html

And this site is also a great rating site.
http://tobaccoreviews.com/

TheJ
02-15-2009, 06:14 PM
I was reading a bit from The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris and wondered if any of you old timers could answer a question. The articles I have come across, from 20+ years ago all indicate that Orientals are Aromatic tobaccos and what we now call Aromatics were referred to as Flavored or Topped tobaccos. Anyone remember when this changed or why?

Dgar
02-17-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm about to give the pipe smoking a try after my last experience about 22 years ago. I know all the stuff to get but I'm concerned about the tobacco to try. I saw the reccommended Carters from the drug store and will give that a shot. But do different tobaccos have different "body" and "strength"? I'm probably gonna stay away from aromatics but what are some good one's to try for someone who likes relatively strong cigars? Or is pipe smoking just a completely different kind of thing? Thanks. :pi

If your going to try some Carter Hall, you might as well try a little Prince albert, I Like it alot...

Ratters
02-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Does he come in a can?

:D :pi

I actually went a bit overboard and bought about a pound of different tobaccos from Smokers Haven. :D Got some accessories as well. At least I have a bunch of smoke shop matches to burn through. Now I just need a pipe. Gonna try and get a corncob for Friday until I get a chance to see groogs.

Nick
02-17-2009, 08:11 PM
I was reading a bit from The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris and wondered if any of you old timers could answer a question. The articles I have come across, from 20+ years ago all indicate that Orientals are Aromatic tobaccos and what we now call Aromatics were referred to as Flavored or Topped tobaccos. Anyone remember when this changed or why?

The dictionary definition of "Aromatic"

1. 1 of, relating to, or having aroma: a. a fragrant b. b having a strong smell c. c having a distinctive quality
2. 2 of an organic compound characterized by increased chemical stability resulting from the delocalization of electrons in a ring system (as benzene) containing usually multiple conjugated double bonds compare alicyclic aliphatic - Synonym - see odorous

The term aromatic does not necessarily mean smells good it just means it smells or has an aroma. Any tobacco is aromatic no matter what is done to it. In the pipe world Aromatic seems to generally mean "smells sweet," or smells like it is flavored. It's oversimplification of the word but for our purposes it seems to work.

As for the root of your question I can't exactly explain why or when the use of the term changed but I would think that the above may have some thing to do with it.

Of course I could be completely wrong. :r :rolleyes:

Mister Moo
02-18-2009, 06:00 PM
I was reading a bit from The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris and wondered if any of you old timers could answer a question. The articles I have come across, from 20+ years ago all indicate that Orientals are Aromatic tobaccos and what we now call Aromatics were referred to as Flavored or Topped tobaccos. Anyone remember when this changed or why?Here read ye the words of JohnnyFlake (as yet an unofficial Old Fart):

"I do recall conversations, about this topic, many years ago. I still have about 20 issues of the Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris and I was skimming through them this morning to see if I could find anything on this topic. I could not!

I do recall that, many years ago, the Oriental tobacco from the Eastern Mediterranean Countries, especially Turkey and Greece, were called Natural Aromatics. Many use to call the Syrian and Cyprian Latakia Tobaccos "Natural Aromatics". I believe the Key Word here is "Natural". The aromatic blends, of today, were always referred to as cased tobaccos years ago. They were never called aromatics back then.

I don't really know when the transition of Cased Tobaccos being called Aromatics actually occurred, but I suspect that is was a slow process of evolution, that probably stared in the 1960's.

I hope this helps a little."

TheJ
02-18-2009, 07:15 PM
That's a lot good information. Thanks.

Mister Moo
02-19-2009, 03:07 AM
That's a lot good information. Thanks.
I believe IHT also has some thoughts on African leaf with natural (aromatic) flavors or qualities that some might characterize as "soapy". Perhaps he will add more on this.

Mugen910
02-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Are the pipe stems universal? Say I wanted to change a straight pipe stem to something different..is that possible?

Mister Moo
02-23-2009, 05:53 AM
Are the pipe stems universal? Say I wanted to change a straight pipe stem to something different..is that possible?Maybe with corncob pipes and amongst some lines of production pipes (don't know for sure about that).

Custom vulcanite, ebonite and lucite stems are offered by many pipemakes and pipe repair guys. They're mostly under $20. Some specialize in making perfect reproductions of "brand identification" stamps, dots, imprints, etc. There are more people than Dunhill who can stick a white dot on a black stem.

Mugen910
02-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Maybe with corncob pipes and amongst some lines of production pipes (don't know for sure about that).

Custom vulcanite, ebonite and lucite stems are offered by many pipemakes and pipe repair guys. They're mostly under $20. Some specialize in making perfect reproductions of "brand identification" stamps, dots, imprints, etc. There are more people than Dunhill who can stick a white dot on a black stem.

thx..

LordOfWu
02-27-2009, 09:12 PM
OK, I just finished a NST with Slow Triathlete (thanks again!) and now I have a couple of questions...

1) Storage - can I store different pipe tobacco together? I don't have any fancy jars so I was going to use an old herf-a-dor and just leave them in their bags...will that mess up the flavors?

2) Humidity - I have seen posts regarding re-humidifying dry tobacco, but should I keep some humidity control in the container with them, like cigars?

3) Aging - does pipe tobacco age (get better, change profile, etc.) like a cigar?

I bow to your wisdom and thank the mighty fog's of the pipe in advance :D

Nick
02-27-2009, 10:51 PM
1) IF they are in baggies right next to or on top of each other the flavor profiles may change a bit depending on how long they are in such proximity. If you have a say a straight virginia lying under an english or balkan the Virginia may carry some undertones of that blend. If they are fairly well separted I think you should be fine.

2) You do not need to and shouldn't keep a humidity control (like a humidity disk, I am assuming) with them. Pipe tobacco should be kept at much much lower humidity levels than a cigar. If you forget about a bag or tin for a few months and find that it has dried to a crisp then there are ways to re-hydrate it and bring it back close to normal.

3) Pipe tobacco does age very well in fact. There are slightly contrasting opinions on this matter however. Some distinguished tobacco blenders feel that a little air is necessary to facilitate aging. However there are many who believe that the oxygen could cause mold to grow rendering the tobacco un-smokeable. My opinion is that when I will age tobacco that is already out of the tin I will store in a mason jar that is air sealed but leave a gap from the lid to the tobacco that way there is a bit of air but when the tobacco eats up that oxygen it will start the aging process. (this last part is my own opinion I follow from reading articles on the matter)

this is a very good website that may help your understanding.
http://agingfaq.nocturne.org/

Cheers and happy puffing on that new tobacco.

LordOfWu
02-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Nick, thanks for the info! Time to find some storage devices for my baccy, looks like :D

Nick
02-27-2009, 11:01 PM
You may want to PM Big D KC. I know he just got done storing away about 10lbs. of baccy with mason jars and a food saver. He did a lot of research and should be able to give you some pointers.

However those samples may not be worth it to jar up, they should stay fresh in the bag for quite some time.

Big D KC
02-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Grab you a case (12) of half pint kerr canning jars for about $10 or so at your local grocery store. Take em home clean them up real good, drop your samples in them and just be sure to screw the lids down tight after dipping into them each time for a smoke! Should last pretty much indefinitely for the most part. (well maybe only a few years of opening & closing the jars multiple times a day!) Be sure to label them!

I've learned the canning jars are wonderful storage devices. The canning jars will keep your samples pretty much exactly like they were the day you put them in until they are gone. No need for a vacuum sealer at this stage! Open, Close, Enjoy!

;)

Sancho
03-02-2009, 10:05 AM
My method was similar for long term storage:
1. Buy small cooler that could hold a 12 pk
2. Buy tons of tins of tobacco
3. fill cooler
4. Vac seal cooler
5. place cooler somewhere where I'll never find it ;)
6. wait a few decades
7. smoke

LordOfWu
03-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Grab you a case (12) of half pint kerr canning jars for about $10 or so at your local grocery store. Take em home clean them up real good, drop your samples in them and just be sure to screw the lids down tight after dipping into them each time for a smoke! Should last pretty much indefinitely for the most part. (well maybe only a few years of opening & closing the jars multiple times a day!) Be sure to label them!

I've learned the canning jars are wonderful storage devices. The canning jars will keep your samples pretty much exactly like they were the day you put them in until they are gone. No need for a vacuum sealer at this stage! Open, Close, Enjoy!

;)

Most excellent, thanks!

morefifemusic
03-02-2009, 05:41 PM
3. fill cooler
4. Vac seal cooler
6. wait a few decades
7. smoke

Wouldn't this be redundant since the tins are already vac sealed?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for overkill. I just don't want people thinking they wont age properly without vac sealing the cooler. :)

TheJ
03-02-2009, 08:01 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for overkill. I just don't want people thinking they wont age properly without vac sealing the cooler. :)

You can't be too careful when waiting a few decades.

Sancho
03-02-2009, 08:56 PM

Overkill, perhaps for short term storage but for longterm you need to better stabilize the aging space and two levels of vaccum is just layers of protection. Ask me how many tins I've found from years ago that are unsealed due to time...:tu

Snake Hips
03-18-2009, 01:08 AM
Old Farts:

Is there a way to increase the flavor of pipe tobaccos? I want to get into pipe smoking, because I love the tradition, the ritual of preparing and keeping up a pipe, and particularly the feel of the actual smoking of it, but I've noticed that I can't really taste it. I went to the B&M yesterday because it's Pipe Week and they had a bunch of tobaccos for sample, and I must have gone through dozens, both tinned and house blends. It tastes like water, with a hint of general flavor on the nose exhale. From pure Virginia aromatic to the heftiest perique and latakia blends (Irish Flake was supposed to be pretty...robust...and it definitely was, but still didn't taste).

I found just three which I liked (all house blends, believe it or not - "Proper English," "Night Cap" and "Champagne"), but they still aren't all that flavorful. They just happened to taste more at all than the rest. I got the Night Cap and I enjoy the flavor a lot, but I wish there was just more of it. Do I need to quit cigars for a bit before the flavors of the gentler pipe tobaccos "pop?" Thanks guys.

kzm007
03-18-2009, 02:08 AM
3. fill cooler
4. Vac seal cooler
6. wait a few decades
7. smoke

Do you mean a cooler big enough for a case of beer, or a case of jars?

Love that method though! :D

WWhermit
03-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Old Farts:

Is there a way to increase the flavor of pipe tobaccos? I want to get into pipe smoking, because I love the tradition, the ritual of preparing and keeping up a pipe, and particularly the feel of the actual smoking of it, but I've noticed that I can't really taste it. I went to the B&M yesterday because it's Pipe Week and they had a bunch of tobaccos for sample, and I must have gone through dozens, both tinned and house blends. It tastes like water, with a hint of general flavor on the nose exhale. From pure Virginia aromatic to the heftiest perique and latakia blends (Irish Flake was supposed to be pretty...robust...and it definitely was, but still didn't taste).

I found just three which I liked (all house blends, believe it or not - "Proper English," "Night Cap" and "Champagne"), but they still aren't all that flavorful. They just happened to taste more at all than the rest. I got the Night Cap and I enjoy the flavor a lot, but I wish there was just more of it. Do I need to quit cigars for a bit before the flavors of the gentler pipe tobaccos "pop?" Thanks guys.

You have to temper your pallate to the taste of pipe tobacco. When first starting out, you won't taste much at all. Smoke one bowl a day, and at about week 3 or 4, you'll realize you taste the tobacco like you never have before.

So, time and patience. The very reasons why we smoke a pipe in the first place.

WWhermit
:pi:

Mister Moo
03-18-2009, 09:52 AM
You have to temper your pallate to the taste of pipe tobacco. When first starting out, you won't taste much at all. Smoke one bowl a day, and at about week 3 or 4, you'll realize you taste the tobacco like you never have before.

So, time and patience. The very reasons why we smoke a pipe in the first place.

WWhermit
:pi:Ba da bing, above. Smoke slowly, too - fast puffers are hot-tobacco puffers and hot tobacco evaporates flavor.

Your picks were very good, flavorwise, IMO.

If all else fails and you just can't find the zing - and I mean ALL ELSE - try some 1792. If you can't taste that stuff, see a neurologist for a tongue and brain scan.

Snake Hips
03-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Awesome, thanks! I shouldn't have a problem smoking a bowl a day, haha. I've been doing that anyway, because I'm breaking in my new Peterson and I love it.

Patience I can do - I can wait for a reward.

I've been smoking slowly I think; I don't think that's my problem. I learned that lesson already, haha.

Mister Moo - who makes 1792? Sounds like something I want to try :D

Mister Moo
03-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Awesome, thanks! I shouldn't have a problem smoking a bowl a day, haha. I've been doing that anyway, because I'm breaking in my new Peterson and I love it.

I've been smoking slowly I think; I don't think that's my problem. I learned that lesson already, haha.

Mister Moo - who makes 1792? Sounds like something I want to try :Dhttp://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=1&TID=1004

Mister Moo
03-18-2009, 01:03 PM

Mister Moo - who makes 1792? Sounds like something I want to try :Dhttp://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=1&TID=1004

Personally, I love the stuff. I makes a lot of people want to give up pipe smoking, though.

Nick
03-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Also try this one.
http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=B&TID=1008
or this
http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=S&TID=1837

they are rope style tobacco's but have tons of flavor and really robust. If you do get some ropes post again for advice on how to prepare it to smoke; they aren't that hard.

RevSmoke
03-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Old Farts:

You tried dozens in one day? No wonder you cannot taste anything, your taste buds are fried.

Seriously. How can you expect to taste anything if your they are so over-taxed.

When I smoke more than 5 bowls in a day, I don't taste much.

I have found that the best flavors for me appear when I haven't had a smoke in a couple days and I sit back and relax - not try and taste things - just sitting back and contemplating life.

Give your palate a chance to recoup and then try again.

davearob
03-18-2009, 05:46 PM
If I smoke a cigar even earlier in the afternoon and then try a pipe in the evening I find the pipe to have little flavor. So I have chosen either one or the other for a day. Is this common? Does anybody mix the two successfully. Is it because I am still very new to pipes?

Snake Hips
03-18-2009, 07:04 PM
@Mister Moo
Ah, thanks. I'll look for it!

@Nick
I'll look for those, too - they sound pretty awesome. Full-flavored is what I'm looking for; I could care less about the nic kick. I don't "know" how to smoke rope, but wouldn't you just slice off some "coins" and rub them like a flake?

@RevSmoke
Haha, no. I didn't smoke dozens of bowls. I took a little pinch and smoked it for a minute, then dumped it.

Nick
03-18-2009, 07:22 PM
@Nick
I'll look for those, too - they sound pretty awesome. Full-flavored is what I'm looking for; I could care less about the nic kick. I don't "know" how to smoke rope, but wouldn't you just slice off some "coins" and rub them like a flake?

Pretty much you are a smart cookie.

RevSmoke
03-18-2009, 09:40 PM
@RevSmoke
Haha, no. I didn't smoke dozens of bowls. I took a little pinch and smoked it for a minute, then dumped it.

That's no way to taste a tobacco, you don't give it enough time to develop. Seriously!

Fill a pipe and smoke it. But, don't overtax your tongue or your taste buds. Try new blends on a fresh palate - just like tasting wines. If you smoke more than one blend, start with mild (less flavorful - burleys or VA) and work your way to more flavorful.

Cyclone
03-18-2009, 11:06 PM
Total Newbie piper question... Bear with me :D

What is the approximate humidity that tobacco should be kept at?

A buddy gave me a pipe and some tobacco and I tried it for the 1st time at a herf tonight.

The general consensus was that the tobacco was too dry.

The bright side is that the wife kind of like the smell :D

cheers,
Rudy

Nick
03-18-2009, 11:59 PM
95% of the time I like to smoke tobacco that is drier than most would like. Other people will take the tobacco right out of the tin to the pipe as wet as it comes. It is really a matter of personal preference (like most things concerning pipe smoking). If you like you're tobacco to be a bit damp and springy then that is how you like it and no one should convince you otherwise. If you like it as dry as a bone then that is great too. Try experimenting with different moisture levels and see what you like. You may find you like one blend as dry as the desert but other blends you like to have quite moist. Part of the enjoyment of pipe smoking are the intricacies and experiments. Just remember to have fun and be patient.

Cheers
Nick

Mister Moo
03-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Total Newbie piper question... Bear with me :D

What is the approximate humidity that tobacco should be kept at?

A buddy gave me a pipe and some tobacco and I tried it for the 1st time at a herf tonight.

The general consensus was that the tobacco was too dry.

The bright side is that the wife kind of like the smell :D

cheers,
RudyI never approached it from %rh; I just do it by a combination of touch and experience with what works and what doesn't. How useless is THAT advice?

Like a cigar, when it's too wet the stuff might taste a little sour and will surely keep going out. Unlike a cigar, you'll maybe get a gurgle in your pipe or, worse yet, you'll get some nasty drool roll back into your mouth. I hate too-wet tobak. If it's too dry, the smoke may run to the hot side and too-hot can snarf the flavor.

There is this conventional wisdom general rule about giving pipe tobak a pinch and seeing if it wads up or springs back. I lean to medium-dry - a pinch springs back but doesn't quite fall apart. A general rule, however is about as useful as solid brass billiard balls. Different types and textures of pipe tobak vary widely in feel, springiness, ideal moisture:taste ratio, etc. It seems like it comes back to trial, error and, finally experience.

There could be a great rule about rh% but I carry tobak with me, sometimes for days or weeks, and the touch-method works for me anywhere, anytime.

Snake Hips
03-20-2009, 02:43 PM
That's no way to taste a tobacco, you don't give it enough time to develop. Seriously!

Fill a pipe and smoke it. But, don't overtax your tongue or your taste buds. Try new blends on a fresh palate - just like tasting wines. If you smoke more than one blend, start with mild (less flavorful - burleys or VA) and work your way to more flavorful.
Ah, got it. Thanks for the tip :tu

Didn't think about letting it develop.

SSatVT
04-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Alright old farts, I have a question being a noob and all...

When I am smoking my corn cob, I have gotten it to stay lit for most of the bowl, but after I tamp or dump (depends on my mood, I guess) for the last time the tobacco stays lit and after a few more sips, it goes out. Is there something that I am doing wrong or is this just the nature of the pipe? there is usually about 5 minutes or so worth of tobacco let when this happens.

Thanks for the help, old wise ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

dogsplayinpoker
04-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Alright old farts, I have a question being a noob and all...

When I am smoking my corn cob, I have gotten it to stay lit for most of the bowl, but after I tamp or dump (depends on my mood, I guess) for the last time the tobacco stays lit and after a few more sips, it goes out. Is there something that I am doing wrong or is this just the nature of the pipe? there is usually about 5 minutes or so worth of tobacco let when this happens.

Thanks for the help, old wise ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

If it is like many corncobs I have seen, the draught hole is high. This causes the final "5 minutes worth" of your bowl to be near or below where the stem comes through. You aren't going to be drawing enough air THROUGH the tobacco to keep it lit. Not much you can do with it which is one of the reasons cobs are cheap.

fissure
04-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Sorry if this has already been asked.....

What are some good non flavored baccy's for a pipe newb to start out with? I bought a sampler of Boswell flavored a couple years ago, and then switched to cigars. Now want to get back into the pipe a little more.

Mister Moo
04-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Sorry if this has already been asked.....

What are some good non flavored baccy's for a pipe newb to start out with? I bought a sampler of Boswell flavored a couple years ago, and then switched to cigars. Now want to get back into the pipe a little more.A clever BOTL on another board hit good-starter highlights with:

For VA: Rattray's Hal O The Wynd or Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake
For English: GL Pease Westminster or Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader
For Va/Per: AC Peterson Escudo or pipesandcigars.com Anniversary Kake
For Burley: pipesandcigars.com Butternut Burley

These are tested winners that most pipe smokers will acknowledge as top-drawer examples of their class. Or not. Personally, I like Squadron Leader (SL) a lot but think it's either oriental or an atypical english blend. I suggest SL but also a more classic alternative for english tobak, Stokkebyes Proper English.

fissure
04-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks Dan:tu

Mister Moo
04-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Thanks Dan:tuAnything for Hockeytown; I love all Red Wings - even the ones made in Ohio. (The above advice came from morefifemusicanyone, BTW.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/xenawarriorcat/Motorcycles/redwing.jpg

landhoney
07-24-2009, 02:04 PM
What is the "purpose" of very long pipes like these:
http://www.davidspiwak.com/Antique%20Pipes.html
I saw some paintings of pipes like these on a recent trip to Europe/Russia and wondered why these style pipes are not used anymore (seemingly).
Thank you for your help. :tu

Mister Moo
07-24-2009, 02:46 PM
What is the "purpose" of very long pipes like these:
http://www.davidspiwak.com/Antique%20Pipes.html
I saw some paintings of pipes like these on a recent trip to Europe/Russia and wondered why these style pipes are not used anymore (seemingly).
Thank you for your help. :tuGreat question!

The purpose of the longest, skinniest one is to smoke opium. Not my area of expertise but I've seen them around over the years.

The (now novelty) porcelain/tree-branch pipes were probably the bees knees until some bright boy figured out that briar made for a cool, long-lasting pipe chamber. Briar is recent on the scene - late 19th century; tabak started arriving in europe, I would guess, in the mid-1600s. Clay, metal and porcelain worked until something better came along.

This is strictly a guess; it'll hold water until something better comes along from a better guesser OR an actual pipe scientist. :)

landhoney
07-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Great question!

The purpose of the longest, skinniest one is to smoke opium. Not my area of expertise but I've seen them around over the years.

The (now novelty) porcelain/tree-branch pipes were probably the bees knees until some bright boy figured out that briar made for a cool, long-lasting pipe chamber. Briar is recent on the scene - late 19th century; tabak started arriving in europe, I would guess, in the mid-1600s. Clay, metal and porcelain worked until something better came along.

This is strictly a guess; it'll hold water until something better comes along from a better guesser OR an actual pipe scientist. :)

Great answer!

Could you explain the long pipe vs. short, why have these long tobacco pipes gone "out of fashion"? Or have they not? I've heard that longer pipes cool the smoke more, is this their purpose? Or is there another advantage?

Curly Cut
07-24-2009, 09:29 PM
someone did an actual test in temperature of the "smoke" from a churchwarden compared to a normal sized billiard and there wasn't a discernable difference in temp of the smoke/steam - not one that would be noticeable by the tongue.

i have a neighbor that loves his churchwarden pipes, but i attribute that to his pure laziness of not wanting to lift his arms to hold the pipe up by his chin - he'd rather fold his arms, rest his pipe on his forearm... any excess movement might make him pass out.
(not sarcasm - i have a pic of him smoking a churchwarden with his arms folded, pipe resting on his arm)

TheTraveler
07-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Not a pipe newbie but I do have a question to ask for those older and wiser inmates. I've picked up a handful of estate briars at antique shops, yard sales and flea markets over the last year. All but two of them had a wad of unsmoked tobacco left in them and all but three had a crazy-thick cake on them. My questions are:
. Have smokers' habits changed that much in the last twenty years?
. Did 'old-timers' make a habit of leaving unsmoked tobacco in the bowl?
. Am I making too big a deal over these neglected pipes when compared to the (assumed) larger number of well-maintained pipes still in smokers' rotations?
. Why, oh why, did 'old-timers' leave such thick cakes in their pipes?

:pi

Mister Moo
07-27-2009, 01:32 PM
...I've picked up a handful of estate briars at antique shops, yard sales and flea markets over the last year. All but two of them had a wad of unsmoked tobacco left in them and all but three had a crazy-thick cake on them. My questions are:
. Have smokers' habits changed that much in the last twenty years?
. Did 'old-timers' make a habit of leaving unsmoked tobacco in the bowl?
. Am I making too big a deal over these neglected pipes when compared to the (assumed) larger number of well-maintained pipes still in smokers' rotations?
. Why, oh why, did 'old-timers' leave such thick cakes in their pipes?I've wondered about those guys too. My take is they weren't thinking too hard. I have purchased a couple of trashed estate pipes of real quality that were, fortunately, recoverable. Mostly, though, the trashed ones I see were pipes without any particular merit then or now.

Take a not-too-whippy Grabow from Sparta, NC, fill it with goop-oid aromatic drugstore stuff 10-15 times a week and, voila - caked thick and nasty in a year. Two years and maybe 11 pipecleaners later you're halfway thru a smoke and think, "Feh! This pipe tastes like dog pooter. I will go back to General Hardware and buy a new one." Old stinky, half-smoked and never cleaned, goes to the back of the dresser drawer until 40-years later when the kids are cleaning things out. I got a great Brakner like this recently (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpost.php?p=376609&postcount=1) - most of the rest have been Grabows or no-names.

TheTraveler
07-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Thanks, Dan. I was thinking along those lines too. Hey, their loss is certainly our gain! :)

alley00p
07-28-2009, 08:52 PM
By way of introduction, I used to smoke pipes back in the '70s, but sort of got away from the habit when my favorite tobacco disappeared from the scene. My pipes all got packed in an old cigar box and disappeared somewhere in the house when we did some major remodeling in the late '80s.

I decided to try pipe smoking again recently, but since I can't find my old pipes right now, and I missed out on some of the recent sales in the WTS/WTB/WTT thread, I headed over to Ebay. I picked up a couple of estate pipes that look decent and will try them out when they arrive.

While searching, I came upon this device: "PIPE CLEANING RETORT - Item #270434301489". Has anyone ever used something like this to clean pipes, especially estate pipes that are especially dirty?

Thanks in advance! I'm sure that I'll be back with more questions for you esteemed "Old Farts", as soon as my "new" pipes arrive next week! :D

:dance:

Mister Moo
07-29-2009, 05:37 AM
...While searching, I came upon this device: "PIPE CLEANING RETORT - Item #270434301489". Has anyone ever used something like this to clean pipes, especially estate pipes that are especially dirty?A retort will clean out a pipe faster (a whole lot faster) than a conventional bowl treatment with cotton ball (or coarse kosher salt) and Everclear.

If you're a pro and need to regularly clean pipes and/or can't wait 12-hours for a salt/booze treatment a retort does the trick. I think salt (or cotton ball) and alcohol does as well, just slower. If I had to sanitize pipes often I use a retort; for infrequent (civilian) needs, a soak is less bother.

alley00p
07-29-2009, 05:36 PM
A retort will clean out a pipe faster (a whole lot faster) than a conventional bowl treatment with cotton ball (or coarse kosher salt) and Everclear.

If you're a pro and need to regularly clean pipes and/or can't wait 12-hours for a salt/booze treatment a retort does the trick. I think salt (or cotton ball) and alcohol does as well, just slower. If I had to sanitize pipes often I use a retort; for infrequent (civilian) needs, a soak is less bother.

Thanks, Dan! I know I read the kosher salt and everclear method here somewhere; do you have the link available without having to go through 9 pages of posts (if it's in this thread...)?

I'm hoping that my "new" pipes will be here next week, and I'll be able to join the ranks of CA pipesters! :D

Curly Cut
07-29-2009, 06:53 PM
While searching, I came upon this device: "PIPE CLEANING RETORT - Item #270434301489". Has anyone ever used something like this to clean pipes, especially estate pipes that are especially dirty?

i own a retort and have used it a few times (need to use it again soon).

you end up boiling the alcohol in the end of the retort, the vapors go upward into the pipe, then turn back to liquid (which is plenty hot/steamy), and it does a better job of penetrating the pores of the wood and whatever type of gunk is built up inside the stem areas. it helps remove the 'ghost' a whole lot faster/better than a standard "salt/alcohol" treatment, or the old fart way of "smoking out the ghost" does.

be careful if you do it. you can melt the end of the stem (button) and the insided of the bit. let it cool before you go reaming the stem/bit with a bristle cleaner (or any cleaner), or you could end up with stem goop blocking your airway, and then the pipe isn't smokeable unless you send it to someone who can open up the airway of the bit again.

i need to use it more often, not that my pipes need it, rather to get better at it. there have been some moments while using it. all the vapor comes out the top of the bowl, through the cotton ball, reforms into liquid on the outside and ruins the finish; i melted the button on my Big Ben; almost messed up the inside of my Karl Eriks airway by running a cleaner through it too early.

i'd suggest getting one if you smoke often; change blends in pipes often; or are looking to refurbish a lot of older estate pipes.

Mister Moo
07-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks, Dan! I know I read the kosher salt and everclear method here somewhere; do you have the link available without having to go through 9 pages of posts (if it's in this thread...)?

I'm hoping that my "new" pipes will be here next week, and I'll be able to join the ranks of CA pipesters! :D

:dance:What C'Cut said about a retort - use carefully and consider it has a learning curve.

This site gives a good look at a professional approach (http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/briar-pipe-repairs-home-remedies/) with some helpful photos.

I was a gifted retort (home made from test tubes and surgical tubing) but my sorriest used pipe purchases - I mean ultra-grungies - have so far ended up clean and sweet with kosher (non-iodized) salt and 190-proof Everclear treatments. I suspect stories about cracked bowls and salt involved treatments using higher water content fluids (like 80-proof booze or maybe 70* rubbing alcohol) and extended soaking but I dunno, really. All I know is my method has been good for years and dozens of pipes. The booze and cotton ball guys never report a problem so who knows. I think that Everclear-190 and a wicking pipe cleaner pulls crud out of the pipe and then evaporates so fast that the briar won't saturate with residual water and, thus, has no opportunity to swell and crack.

My pipes get stinky enough for a cleaning with alcohol about once or twice a year. The nose tells all. After reaming, if needed, I use a method like this:

1. stick a loose-fit fluffy thru the stem and down into the bowl;
2. nearly top the bowl with kosher coarse salt (or cotton) - don't top it off or you might not see rising alcohol until it's too late and overflows;
3. secure the pipe at an angle, stem end slightly higher than the rim of the bowl, such that it won't move or tip;
4. carefully eye-dropper Everclear into the bowl quitting before an overflow;
5. come back in an hour and see brown grunge wicking up the fluffy from the stem; carefully remove the fluffy and replace with a clean one; refill the bowl with Everclear as needed.
6. Repeat until pipe cleaners are coming out clean(ish).
7. Assuming the salt (cotton) goes pretty brown allow the bowl to dry out (a few hours or overnight) dump the salt (cotton) and repeat the process. Take care the bowl is dry when removing the salt (cotton) so no alky dribbles on the pipe finish.
8. Finish the stem and shank with alky-dipped bristle cleaners.

Voila.

For my once a year deal, this usually takes one load of salt, several pipe cleaners and a couple of booze toppings while reading, surfing or watching TV over a couple of hours. For a screwed estate pipe that was globbed with aromatic I-don't-know-what it might take several replacements of salt (cotton) in the bowl and 20-30 pipe cleaners. For the totally screwed pipe (or for a pro who doesn't have hours to monitor and sanitize a pipe) I can see why a retort is a time-saving tool. I'm not sure one is worth the effort for just-folks like me who thoroughly cleans a pipe or two mon,th while slouching around the den.

Spit and a paper towel (or soft toothbrush) cleans rims.

A few hours of bleach soaking cleans the most oxydized vulcanite (assuming there are not logos on the stem that bleach will ruin);
some swear by Magic Eraser to clean vulcanite - it never works for me;
wet sanding with Micro Mesh polishing paper is the bees knees (grit 3500 to 12000) to clean vulcanite for me;
rubbing gritty toothpaste (Arm & Hammer) with an electric toothbrush (not the one you stick in your mouth that evening ) or damp wet paper towels cleans less nasty stems and polishes very well;
a final wipe with olive oil and things look spectacular.

I am not a carnuba waxer but, if you have a low speed flannel wheel, it'll lay on a shiney hard finish. Beware standard buffers - they can melt stems and remove pipe nomenclature in a blink.

alley00p
08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I have a question for you experienced pipe smokers:

How much does humidity affect pipes that are being stored in a rack?

My "Mini-ManCave" is located on my screened-in back porch. Humidity varies every day, and I wondered if there was a chance that my pipes could be damaged while resting in a rack on the shelf out there, especially in the warmer months. I plan on taking them inside when the weather gets cold.

Any comments?

Mister Moo
08-11-2009, 07:53 AM
I have a question for you experienced pipe smokers:

How much does humidity affect pipes that are being stored in a rack?

My "Mini-ManCave" is located on my screened-in back porch. Humidity varies every day, and I wondered if there was a chance that my pipes could be damaged while resting in a rack on the shelf out there, especially in the warmer months. I plan on taking them inside when the weather gets cold.

Any comments?

:dance:Since nobody who knows anything has answered yet I'll kick this off with a non-expert opinion.

Briar is remarkably resiliant and can handle extremes in temperature and moisture. While your pipestems might get snugger or looser as humidity varies I can't imagine up-north temp and humidity will hurt the pipes. I've bought some great "estate" pipes that were probably in someones garage for 30-years - who asks? Exposure to UV/sunlight isn't a good thing for finished wood or vulcanite; the possibility of mold exists if the pipes stay too damp for too long; and swings in humidity and temp don't help the fine tolerances that make up a good pipe.

I sometimes leave a pipe or two on the back porch for a day or two and some sit in the car for days. No problems. But I'd not leave my pipe rack and pipes on the porch. I like them out of direct (or even indirect) sunlight, in a dry/steady environment and away from the weird things that happen on my back porch.

Are your pipes stinking up someone elses living space? I can relate. But they still ain't going on the porch.

alley00p
08-17-2009, 07:18 PM
I'd like to ask a newbie question. What do many of you mean when you talk about rubbing out some tabak before filling your pipe bowl?

There are some terms used by many of you that just don't compute to this newbie smoker.

I've always just filled the bowl with the chosen tobacco, lit, it and commenced smoking.
What am I missing here? :confused:

Thanks in advance! :D

Mister Moo
08-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Many tobaccos are compressed (flat or round) and then sliced into flakes. While flakes can often be rolled up or folded and simply stuffed (or screwed) into a pipe there are times where you might do better breaking the stuff up into finer pieces. Sometimes a flake tastes better and sometimes it burns better when it's "rubbed out" to a finer texture. If you get your hands on some flake tobak you'll figure it out in about 2-minutes.

Some flakes are pre-mangled (shredded) at the factory and they call that ready-rubbed. Some ready rub is good right into the pipe and, sometimes, it's a bit too coarse and needs to be rubbed out further by the smoker. And so on and so forth. Try some flake tobaks. They great.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/images/products/005-003-0010.jpghttp://image07.webshots.com/7/8/77/91/2884877910087808565CwpMdx_ph.jpg

Slow Triathlete
08-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Also, you can always cut up a flake with a knife or put it into a coffee grinder for a finer cut if you like. There's really no right or wrong way to smoke flakes or rub them out.

I always rub out my flakes somewhat. I have tried to get the fold and pack technique down but it never works for me. I have, however, seen Moo fold and pack some Navy Flake and it worked like a dream. I guess it comes with experience.

alley00p
08-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks Dan and Scott! Most of the tobacco that I've tried seems to be cut in "ribbons" I guess, but I came across a couple of small tins at a small shop nearby that had a tin of Dunhill Light Flake Virginia Tobacco - possibly Murray's - it says made in the UK, and I also bought a small tin of Mac Baren Viginia Flake. Are these the "VA" types of tobaccos that I hear so much about on this forum? Are these decent blends? I've never smoked any of these. I've pretty been enjoying my Klompen Kloggen sample as well as Carter Hall and good ole' Prince Al, while breaking in my new "estate pipes. :D

Mister Moo
08-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Also, you can always cut up a flake with a knife or put it into a coffee grinder for a finer cut if you like. There's really no right or wrong way to smoke flakes or rub them out.

I always rub out my flakes somewhat. I have tried to get the fold and pack technique down but it never works for me. I have, however, seen Moo fold and pack some Navy Flake and it worked like a dream. I guess it comes with experience.The trouble is that, while you might be a fart, you're not an OLD fart. It's all the difference. However, the clock is ticking. I've had more good luck with fold'n'stuffing MacBarens Navy Flake than some others. Maybe this is because MNF arrives more dry in the tin than many others - or maybe the burley burns better than my more favored un-burley flakes. shrug Try the Mac - it's a snap as flakes go. Escudo is a good roller-folder if it's dry enough but can ruin my day when it's fresh and damp.

'A'y'oop, there are many flake products to try and experiment with when you feel inclined. Some people favor them and some never bother. Escudo is the all time great VaPer; Stokkebyes Luxury Bullseye Flake is a rocksolid great product; the MacB Navy Flake is good; Full Virginia flake... It's a long list of what to try.

Slow Triathlete
08-18-2009, 08:20 PM
I bow down to your wisdom Moo. You are correct. I am not as long in the tooth as you but I'm not too far behind.

Knock, knock
Who's there?
40 years old
Oh crap!!

Demented
08-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Different strokes, B'ank. Some are more antiseptic than others.

Personally, I like to put a pipe back up clean. I'll always spit-clean the pipe rim with a paper napkin from the heap of boosted fast-food restaurant collection napkins; a swipe or two with a bristle and/or a fluffy pipe cleaner and a bent pipecleaner swipe of the bowl to remove and remaining tobacco chunks, unburned leaf (if any) and loose ash. The, last but not least, a hard puff to blow out remaining ashy powder. I rarely put a pipe away without a modest cleaning.

Others say... ?

Agreed with one exception, breaking in a new pipe.

Once the pipes has cooled, use a pipe tool to loosen the ash and any dottle in the bottom of the bowl, cover the whole with your thumb and give the pipe a good shake to coat the chamber, then tap the pipe to remove the loose matter.

Do not swab or blow out the bowl, what has clung to the walls will help build up a cake.

mhailey
08-26-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm not a new pipe smoker, but I'm definitely not an Old Fart, so I ask: in line with mixing different blends to create your own flavor, does anyone layer different tobacco blends in the bowl? If so, what blends are used?

Matt

Slow Triathlete
08-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Matt, a ton of people do that. They make their own tobacco parfait if you will. I usually do something similar if I do this like a Virginia on top and a Virginia/Perique blend on bottom. But I have heard of some crazy combinations like an aromatic on top and a heavy latakia blend on bottom.

It is all about personal tastes. If you have two favorites give it a try. You never know what you may find.

On a side note, this reminds me of a time in college when I thought that it would be a good idea to put garlic powder on my tuna fish sandwich. My thought process was that I liked tuna fish sandwiches and I liked garlic powder so why not mix them?!?!?! Do not try that at home. It was disgusting!

RevSmoke
08-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Matt, a ton of people do that. They make their own tobacco parfait if you will. I usually do something similar if I do this like a Virginia on top and a Virginia/Perique blend on bottom. But I have heard of some crazy combinations like an aromatic on top and a heavy latakia blend on bottom.

It is all about personal tastes. If you have two favorites give it a try. You never know what you may find.

On a side note, this reminds me of a time in college when I thought that it would be a good idea to put garlic powder on my tuna fish sandwich. My thought process was that I liked tuna fish sandwiches and I liked garlic powder so why not mix them?!?!?! Do not try that at home. It was disgusting!

First, I like garlic on my tuna - kills the taste of the tuna.

Second, I like parfaits. VaPers, with English. VA, with VaPers. And yes, VaPers finished with English.

Slavac
09-06-2009, 01:38 AM
1. What humidity should I store my pipe tobacco in?

2. Is the tobacco okay with various blends in their own individual plastic baggies yet intermingled with other blends in their own plastic baggies? For example I've 3 small bags of tobacco, each a different blend, in the same humidor.

3. Lastly, is there any issue keeping a tin of tobacco in my humidor with my other non-tinned tobacco?

Thanks in advance!

Mister Moo
09-06-2009, 07:57 AM
1. What humidity should I store my pipe tobacco in?

2. Is the tobacco okay with various blends in their own individual plastic baggies yet intermingled with other blends in their own plastic baggies? For example I've 3 small bags of tobacco, each a different blend, in the same humidor.

3. Lastly, is there any issue keeping a tin of tobacco in my humidor with my other non-tinned tobacco?

Thanks in advance!Store, once opened, at a good smoking moisture* in a glass jar with a sealing type lid (Mason, Kerr, etc.). They work but sooner or later tobak always dries out in baggies. Baggies are good for a week or two but ultimately let you down. Check out 4-8 ounce canning jar at WallyWorld, Target, etc. You don't want to stink up your humidor with pipe tobak, by the way; either that or you don't want to stink up your pipe tobak with cigar humidor smell.

Some folks sterilize jars/lids to prevent mold from developing before storing tobak.

*guidelines: squeeze a wad of tobak betwixt the thumb and index; it should compress and spring back lightly. If it cracks, too dry; if it doesn't spring back at least a bit, too moist.

TheTraveler
09-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Store, once opened, at a good smoking moisture* in a glass jar with a sealing type lid (Mason, Kerr, etc.). ..... Check out 4-8 ounce canning jar at WallyWorld, Target, etc.

I'd like to add my two cents ... I made the mistake of getting large, quart sized jars and that's a lot of wasted space unless you have a LOT of each blend to store. I'd definitely go with something smaller like MisterMoo said - in the 4 to 8 ounce range. I've seen short, wide-mouth jars that look like they'll stack beautifully and I'm going to pick some of those up soon.

Slavac
09-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Thank you gents :)

Slavac
09-07-2009, 11:19 AM
All of my tobacco's moved over to wide mouth Kerr jars. It does look a bit more stylish than in gray plastic baggies I must say :)

Mocha Java
09-22-2009, 03:15 PM
I ended up with an estate meerschaum pipe that was a bit more roughed up then I had expected. The bowl is dinged up pretty and there is yellow and grayish mottling on the bowl and shank. I've searched quite awhile last night for a more vigorous cleaning method but I couldn't find anything. I was wondering if anyone has run across and article from more of a restoration angle then maintenance. I almost want to try to strip or leech all the impurities out and start fresh. Then polish the bowl smooth and re-coat. I have a feeling if I go at this with things I think may work I might end up dissolving the pipe. I suppose it wouldn't be much of a lose and the knowledge maybe worth it but if anyone has any guidance it would be appreciated.

pm me your email address 'woos; I have the pages of top secret meerschaum information you want.

I'm in the same boat. I'm gonna hope you are still alive and PM you my address too.

PS Are amber stems cared for differently from i.e. vulcanite ones?

kzm007
09-22-2009, 09:29 PM

;)

Are there any jars out there with a tight seal lid? I'm not looking for canning jars per se, since I don't want to have to pressure seal them closed; I just want to open, smoke, close, as you said?

Preferably something in a 4 oz. variety?

GAW
09-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Are there any jars out there with a tight seal lid? I'm not looking for canning jars per se, since I don't want to have to pressure seal them closed; I just want to open, smoke, close, as you said?

Preferably something in a 4 oz. variety?

Ziploc - several sizes including 4oz - plastic with screw top and wide mouth - a little expensive but they seal well and they will travel well also. My :2

yachties23
09-22-2009, 10:07 PM
If you've never smoked a pipe, and want to give it a shot, what are some suggestions/ideas/resources to point said noob in the right direction.

kzm007
09-23-2009, 02:22 AM
Ziploc - several sizes including 4oz - plastic with screw top and wide mouth - a little expensive but they seal well and they will travel well also. My :2

Could I get a link, please for the Ziploc?

Otherwise, are these usable?
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4-oz-Glass-Pipe-Tobacco-Mini-Jars_W0QQitemZ390060099445QQihZ026QQcategoryZ596QQ cmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DL VI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26ps%3D6

TheTraveler
09-23-2009, 06:11 AM

Otherwise, are these usable?
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4-oz-Glass-Pipe-Tobacco-Mini-Jars_W0QQitemZ390060099445QQihZ026QQcategoryZ596QQ cmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DL VI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26ps%3D6

Hey, those look nice! I like 'em. :) That rubber/plastic gasket on the lid would probably make a nice seal.

Curly Cut
09-23-2009, 09:47 AM

http://www.ziploc.com/?p=b7

you can get them at most any grocery store, Zip-Loc Twist'n Loc containers, not baggies. they seal great, and stack better than anything (they're designed to stack).
here's a photo of a large number of them stacked up.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs278.snc1/10520_1205663456582_1078523489_629476_1704835_n.jp g

GAW
09-23-2009, 11:34 AM
http://www.ziploc.com/?p=b7

you can get them at most any grocery store, Zip-Loc Twist'n Loc containers, not baggies. they seal great, and stack better than anything (they're designed to stack).
here's a photo of a large number of them stacked up.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs278.snc1/10520_1205663456582_1078523489_629476_1704835_n.jp g

Those are the exact ones I was referring to and use !!

kzm007
09-23-2009, 02:51 PM
wow...=D. I'm sure they're easy to clean out to remove tobacco scents as well, too?

Thanks for the info though! :tu

Curly Cut
09-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Those are the exact ones I was referring to and use !!
yep.

Mister Moo
09-23-2009, 06:22 PM
If you've never smoked a pipe, and want to give it a shot, what are some suggestions/ideas/resources to point said noob in the right direction.1. Buy a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe with a straight stem, a Czech pipe multi-tool, a box or two of kitchen matches, some fluffy pipe cleaners and a pouch of Prince Albert or Carter Hall tobacco.

2. Stuff the pipe with tobacco so you can still draw air easily thru it and set the thing on fire atop; after it goes out, tamp the tobak down with the pipe tool tamper and set it afire again; puff slowly. If it gets drooly, swab out the stem with a pipe cleaner; and

3. read this. http://groups.google.com/group/alt.smokers.pipes/msg/1bd1b87db15204e0

Have a ball.

Curly Cut
09-23-2009, 07:41 PM
1. Buy a Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipe with a straight stem, a Czech pipe multi-tool, a box or two of kitchen matches, some fluffy pipe cleaners and a pouch of Prince Albert or Carter Hall tobacco.

2. Stuff the pipe with tobacco so you can still draw air easily thru it and set the thing on fire atop; after it goes out, tamp the tobak down with the pipe tool tamper and set it afire again; puff slowly. If it gets drooly, swab out the stem with a pipe cleaner; and

3. read this. http://groups.google.com/group/alt.smokers.pipes/msg/1bd1b87db15204e0

Have a ball.

since corn cobs are cheap, buy two or three.
then i'd ask an old time smoker on HERE if you could have a sample or 4 of different tobaccos...
smoke those to get a wide variety of tobaccos....

sorry, not a big drug store burley tobacco kinda guy, can't suggest that part. ;) nothing wrong with them, but they are pretty straight forward and not a great representation of what's out there in terms of flavor. their best attributes are the fact that they aren't totally foul in flavor, have a decent room note (aroma), and burn easily.