PDA

View Full Version : Authorized Retailers

Felixcigar
09-19-2013, 08:37 AM
Just wondering out loud: what are your thoughts on purchasing from authorized retailers (of your particular brand) vs. retailers that are not authorized by the manufacturer to sell their products?

dave
09-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Cuban or Non-Cuban?

What does 'not authorized' mean?

Anything illegal or illicit?

Is the bigger problem with the 'authorized' dealers selling to the grey market?

What are your thoughts?

icehog3
09-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Tread very carefully here, Gentlemen. ;)

jledou
09-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Maybe an example would help, There are Davidoff authorized merchants and there are stores that carry Davidoff cigars but are not Davidoff authorized merchants.

Cases can be made for both sides of the fence for retail. From the consumer standpoint it would come down to known care/quality the shops provide and the price from each.

Felixcigar
09-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Gee, seemed like an innocent question(?). Non-cuban (don't want to go to jail).
Strictly legal (again, don't want to go to jail). It has recently come to my attention that some manufacturers sell their products through authorized retailers (e.g., Davidoff). Just wondering, how this impacts (helps/hurts) the manufacturer, retailer, and customer. Any additional info you could provide about the typical supply chain for cigars would be most educational. My particular interest is in the pricing structure for cigars. I see many retailers who advertise very close to MSRP (and these coincidently) may be more apt to be "authorized" retailers, and then I see others (seem to be much bigger operations in most cases) that advertise at a much lower price point, and in many cases, are not "authorized" by specific manufacturers.
Bottom line: I know almost nothing about all this, and more knowledge is always a good thing, right?

dave
09-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Sorry....I should have ignored the thread. I still honestly don't understand the question. Aside from jledou's very good point about quality and price control, of course.

I guess, to me, if I'm confident that the product is genuine and has been cared for, I don't much care one way or another if a source is 'authorized' by the manufacturer or not. I'll do my own research on pricing. In fact, more often than not, the arrangements between manufacturer (or distributor) and retail pisses me off as opposed to improving my experience. Price controls, internet sale restrictions, minimum B&M facings, min B&M monthly purchases, local reps who are pricks and artificially affect regional availability....all leave a bad taste in my mouth. And let's not even get into 'authorized' shops that will sell complete inventory of 'LE' stock to privledged individuals who often just turn around and flip the merchandise.

And....my most selfish point is to confirm what you said above, Felix...if I work at it a little, I can often get the cigars I want at a better price by NOT buying from 'authorized' sources -- and when I do, I really have no sympathy for the authorized retailers, nor for the manufacturers....only exception I can think of is those dirt bags that stole the cigars from the AB warehouse -- I certainly wouldn't want any part of that secondary market. Sure hope they catch those batidges.

pnoon
09-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Gee, seemed like an innocent question(?). Non-cuban (don't want to go to jail).
Strictly legal (again, don't want to go to jail). It has recently come to my attention that some manufacturers sell their products through authorized retailers (e.g., Davidoff). Just wondering, how this impacts (helps/hurts) the manufacturer, retailer, and customer. Any additional info you could provide about the typical supply chain for cigars would be most educational. My particular interest is in the pricing structure for cigars. I see many retailers who advertise very close to MSRP (and these coincidently) may be more apt to be "authorized" retailers, and then I see others (seem to be much bigger operations in most cases) that advertise at a much lower price point, and in many cases, are not "authorized" by specific manufacturers.
Bottom line: I know almost nothing about all this, and more knowledge is always a good thing, right?

It has nothing to do with jail. It has to do with respecting and understanding our rules.

mosesbotbol
09-19-2013, 10:29 AM
I'd only buy from authorized dealer for NC's or Habanos. If there is no price difference, might as well buy from the fanciest shop with highest level of personal attention. Many countries have set prices on cigars.

Felixcigar
09-19-2013, 11:42 AM
"Don't ask about where to get Cuban cigars or discuss vendor practices in the forums."

Apologies to all: did not read instructions and thus was not aware of this rule.