PDA

View Full Version : I am soooo not IT..seeking wi-fi advice

14holestogie
12-14-2008, 01:03 PM
So I'm looking towards becoming a liberated man and freeing myself fom the smoke-free confines of my desktop pc. I was looking into the router and card fix for hooking up an older notebook in the man-cave.

Is it really as simple as a cheap router and usb adapter to get this antique notebook into wireless mode? I was checking out the cheapest Linksys router and usb adapters at Wallyworld this morning but thought I should check in before purchasing. All I want to do is access the internet and keep tabs on you guys while enjoying a stick in my converted man-cave in the garage. Would this cheap solution suffice? :confused:

Mugen910
12-14-2008, 01:12 PM
So I'm looking towards becoming a liberated man and freeing myself fom the smoke-free confines of my desktop pc. I was looking into the router and card fix for hooking up an older notebook in the man-cave.

Is it really as simple as a cheap router and usb adapter to get this antique notebook into wireless mode? I was checking out the cheapest Linksys router and usb adapters at Wallyworld this morning but thought I should check in before purchasing. All I want to do is access the internet and keep tabs on you guys while enjoying a stick in my converted man-cave in the garage. Would this cheap solution suffice? :confused:

Yupper...semi-decent USB wifi adapter and a wireless router is all you need..check slickdeals.net (http://forums.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?sduid=0&f=9&daysprune=7&icon=0&tagid=0&order=desc&sort=threadstarted) there are usually some good tech finds/deals on there. Worst case scenario is that you go to their coupon section and print one out for bestbuy or something.

14holestogie
12-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks, Bao.

All those nasty things everyone else posts about you are obviously untrue.

Hope to see you all from the darkness of the cave in the coming days.

Mugen910
12-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks, Bao.

All those nasty things everyone else posts about you are obviously untrue.

Hope to see you all from the darkness of the cave in the coming days.

Well lets not jump to conclusions just yet brother.. :r

Also...depending on where the man cave is from the house..you may be able to get a really long cat5e wire and just hard wire the man cave. :tu

Rabidsquirrel
12-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Is it really as simple as a cheap router and usb adapter to get this antique notebook into wireless mode?

Err, it may not be as simple as you think it is. Can you give us the make and model of the notebook?

dunng
12-14-2008, 01:54 PM
The other option is a PCMCIA card that would fit into the slot on the side of your laptop... :ss

14holestogie
12-14-2008, 02:11 PM
The laptop is a Compaq Presario 1260.
The desk top is a Presario 6000.
Cable modem.

Hard wiring could be an option. Probably 50-75 feet from the modem to the garage.

AD720
12-14-2008, 02:38 PM
If the desktop is already hardwired there in no reason to buy a wireless card for it, IMO.

PM me your address, I have an extra PCMCIA wireless card laying around that should work with your laptop. Then all you need to buy is a router.

14holestogie
12-14-2008, 02:44 PM
PM sent.

Thanks for the kind offer, Andrew.

14holestogie
12-24-2008, 08:32 AM
It's me, the dumb guy again.

So I've got the router and the card (thanks, AD720) installed and have a connection, only to find the laptop has Windows 98 for an operating system. It has Office XP, so I assumed it was an XP opereating system. Not so. :(

Here's my current dilemna. Internet Explorer 5 only allows for a dial-up connection in the set-up. Is there any upgrade available that runs on Windows 98 that would allow a wi-fi connection? Do I need to upgrade to XP? If so, is there any way I can pull a setup off my other pc which has XP? Any other comments or solutions you smarter IT guys can think of?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,
tp

AD720
12-27-2008, 12:01 PM
It's me, the dumb guy again.

So I've got the router and the card (thanks, AD720) installed and have a connection, only to find the laptop has Windows 98 for an operating system. It has Office XP, so I assumed it was an XP opereating system. Not so. :(

Here's my current dilemna. Internet Explorer 5 only allows for a dial-up connection in the set-up. Is there any upgrade available that runs on Windows 98 that would allow a wi-fi connection? Do I need to upgrade to XP? If so, is there any way I can pull a setup off my other pc which has XP? Any other comments or solutions you smarter IT guys can think of?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,
tp

Tim - did you try installing the software that came with the wireless card? Win 98 (as far as I know) does not have built in wireless support but the software that came with the card should do the trick.:hm

Let us know what you come up with.

edit -

try this link for the windows 98 drivers...hopefully the utility is in the same download.

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/wpn511_setup.exe

14holestogie
12-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks again, Andrew, but the problem has been solved. The problem was Windows 98 (or Internet Explorer 5.0) did not allow a connection without a daial-up. Didn't play well with my cable modem. The card and router worked fine, I just could not connect to the internet. My wife got tired of listening to me sigh everytime everything I tried didn't work, she traded in the old laptop for a new one. I'm in now. :dance:

AD720
12-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks again, Andrew, but the problem has been solved. The problem was Windows 98 (or Internet Explorer 5.0) did not allow a connection without a daial-up. Didn't play well with my cable modem. The card and router worked fine, I just could not connect to the internet. My wife got tired of listening to me sigh everytime everything I tried didn't work, she traded in the old laptop for a new one. I'm in now. :dance:

Excellent. :salute:

Cigary
12-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Now you're finally learning when it comes to getting what we want. Do alot of sighing,,,gritting your teeth,,,cussing and you end up getting a great upgrade. One of the things men need to do to get what they want.

TravelingJ
12-28-2008, 02:54 AM
Very nice! I'm glad it is up and running. If you find yourself having issues with the wireless, send me a PM. I would be happy to send you a rather long cat5 cable.

14holestogie
12-28-2008, 05:22 AM
Very nice! I'm glad it is up and running. If you find yourself having issues with the wireless, send me a PM. I would be happy to send you a rather long cat5 cable.

Thanks for the offer, but things are running smoothly. Yee Ha.:cb