PDA

View Full Version : Bad Ass Police Car Set For Production -

RGD.
12-14-2008, 10:54 AM
This thing is just wild. Tons of features and powered by a diesel motor - :tu

Read more about it HERE (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,465329,00.html) and on their website HERE (http://www.carbonmotors.com/press#images).

http://www.dgdesigns.com/humidor/capics/car6.jpg

Ron

bigloo
12-14-2008, 11:02 AM
This is not the first time a company has tried this. A couple of years ago I saw a similar product. I tried googling it but could not find it. But with the big 3 in trouble... who knows, this could happen.

dunng
12-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Sweet looking! :ss

mrreindeer
12-14-2008, 11:11 AM
I hope I never see one up close....or in my rearview mirror!

Ace$nyper
12-14-2008, 11:29 AM
This is not the first time a company has tried this. A couple of years ago I saw a similar product. I tried googling it but could not find it. But with the big 3 in trouble... who knows, this could happen.

Also with it's just sheer by far better lay out then what is currently offered.

I just don't under stand how those poor beat cops survive in the junk they give them.

Other then the high way troopers they had camaros but not as cool as mine:fu

Honestly this might be a GREAT market to go into, being big 3 are shaken up and the only reason they kept using the hunks they have is buy american, well sorry but what is offered is rubbish. Crown Vic? Horrid, old peoples car at best. oh boy 3:55 out back and a big battery now it's a cop car ICK! Dodge Charger? What a piss poor chassis, riding in a car that shares that chassis with less then 19k miles on it was BY FAR the scariest in my life, simple lane changes you could feel the subframe bushings horrid horrid. Don't even start me on the HEMI issue, but dear dodge if you plan on ripping someone off, at least don't make your product suck.
The impala? Best out of them but still, it's about as impressive as a washing machine, no matter how good it is, it's still a washing machine, drives like one as well.

These guys are out risking their necks daily and we throw those things at them? They should have a car to keep up with the times give them more tools to work with and a safer and more cozy life since a lot of cops are in them 10+ hours a day.

TD might be the wave of the future so I am pretty into seeing someone offer a diesel now with 6+spd autos milage and power aren't as much a trade off like it used to be, so a low revver like a diesel can really still have ummph and power.

That's my 3 cents on the matter.

icehog3
12-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Agreed on many points. :tu

The Crown Vics are compete junk.

The Dodge Chargers are better, but not great.

It is the same mindset that leaves some departments issuing their officers 9mm handguns with no alternative, while the criminals are carrying .45s and better. Why would you allow your cops to be "out-gunned"? Similarly, why wouldn't you have them driving the best car available?

Bruzee
12-14-2008, 03:39 PM

I just don't under stand how those poor beat cops survive in the junk they give them.

Honestly this might be a GREAT market to go into, being big 3 are shaken up and the only reason they kept using the hunks they have is buy american, well sorry but what is offered is rubbish. Crown Vic? Horrid, old peoples car at best. oh boy 3:55 out back and a big battery now it's a cop car ICK! Dodge Charger? What a piss poor chassis, riding in a car that shares that chassis with less then 19k miles on it was BY FAR the scariest in my life, simple lane changes you could feel the subframe bushings horrid horrid. Don't even start me on the HEMI issue, but dear dodge if you plan on ripping someone off, at least don't make your product suck.
The impala? Best out of them but still, it's about as impressive as a washing machine, no matter how good it is, it's still a washing machine, drives like one as well.

These guys are out risking their necks daily and we throw those things at them? They should have a car to keep up with the times give them more tools to work with and a safer and more cozy life since a lot of cops are in them 10+ hours a day.

TD might be the wave of the future so I am pretty into seeing someone offer a diesel now with 6+spd autos milage and power aren't as much a trade off like it used to be, so a low revver like a diesel can really still have ummph and power.

You have some really good points! I have driven all three, and had the "luxury" of drinving the Caprice Classic before the last one died. Up to this point, my Charger has been the most comfortable, and best handling.

That is a sweet prototype. I'm not holding my breath though!! :bh

It is the same mindset that leaves some departments issuing their officers 9mm handguns with no alternative, while the criminals are carrying .45s and better. Why would you allow your cops to be "out-gunned"? Similarly, why wouldn't you have them driving the best car available?

AGREED!!!! We carry .40s, but it took the LA bank job for us to have AR15s in our trunks!

jitzy
12-14-2008, 04:13 PM

It's sadly always about money and liability. In NYC we have 9mm's and are going up against mac 10's and were driving 6 cylinder impalas, a god damn grandma car with the computer mounted so poorly that if you take a side impact colision on the passenger door you will be crippled.

Darrell
12-14-2008, 05:14 PM
If all goes as planned, post Air Force -- I hope to be driving one of those. :tu

Silound
12-14-2008, 06:05 PM
You have some excellent points, however there are a few things that add to the problem for departments. Police cars MUST have several extra features you don't usually think of, because of the nature of the beast. It doesn't help that Chevy stopped producing the only vehicle made by the Big3 that was a competitive model until 2004 (year?) when the Impala was redesigned.

Speaking of, the Impala was actually a serviceable DOWNGRADE due to the unibody construction and smaller engine (not that it really matters since the car has a 130 MPH governor). The Crown Vic has a separate body that is attached to the frame (the frame individually supports and carries the weight of the engine, drive train, and all other features not associated with the body and passenger compartment) called body-on-frame (or something similar), similar to what commercial trucks and SUV's use, which makes it far more durable and easier to repair. This is important for the occasional use of ramming other cars, blocking things in, or other heavy physical activities. The only downside is there are no crumple zones, which is why the entire frame is double reinforced to apply more force to the impacted rather than the police car.

Police cars also have to withstand having over 100,000 miles per year put on them. I know that seems too high or too low, but consider that's 275 miles per day, and most shift officers are driving around for an 8 hour shift. Highway troopers put well over 500 a day according to a friend of mine (retired sheriff's deputy in Louisiana). So not only does the car have a LOT of miles put on it, but it will need more reliable heavier parts that require less repairs.

Extras including tac cage, gun mounts, Kevlar paneling and steel panel seat design, external oil-to-coolant exchanges, heavy duty transmission, double reinforced frame and body mounts, heavier shocks and struts, and lastly, an internal fire suppression system are present. All of this adds nearly 800 pounds to the P71 over the civilian model, and all of it is the direct result of necessity and preventative measures.

Is there a better vehicle out there for the job? Possibly, however there isn't a production vehicle tested yet that can withstand the modifications and torture that a Crown Vic can, and Ford has no competition to produce something better. And no department cares about creature comforts, the cars are about functionality.

I feel that, even though I hate Ford with a passion, if the Police Interceptor Crown Vic has been the car used by law enforcement for the past 25+ years with no real competition stepping in, they must be doing something right in the long run.

Edit to add that anything new has to be cheap, because Ford is tooled up for and can make Crown Vics all day for a pittance. Some new flashy car may be a great thing, but having one of them vs. multiple new CV's is a no-brainer to budget-bound police departments.

jitzy
12-14-2008, 06:37 PM
You have some excellent points, however there are a few things that add to the problem for departments. Police cars MUST have several extra features you don't usually think of, because of the nature of the beast. It doesn't help that Chevy stopped producing the only vehicle made by the Big3 that was a competitive model until 2004 (year?) when the Impala was redesigned.

Speaking of, the Impala was actually a serviceable DOWNGRADE due to the unibody construction and smaller engine (not that it really matters since the car has a 130 MPH governor). The Crown Vic has a separate body that is attached to the frame (the frame individually supports and carries the weight of the engine, drive train, and all other features not associated with the body and passenger compartment) called body-on-frame (or something similar), similar to what commercial trucks and SUV's use, which makes it far more durable and easier to repair. This is important for the occasional use of ramming other cars, blocking things in, or other heavy physical activities. The only downside is there are no crumple zones, which is why the entire frame is double reinforced to apply more force to the impacted rather than the police car.

Police cars also have to withstand having over 100,000 miles per year put on them. I know that seems too high or too low, but consider that's 275 miles per day, and most shift officers are driving around for an 8 hour shift. Highway troopers put well over 500 a day according to a friend of mine (retired sheriff's deputy in Louisiana). So not only does the car have a LOT of miles put on it, but it will need more reliable heavier parts that require less repairs.

Extras including tac cage, gun mounts, Kevlar paneling and steel panel seat design, external oil-to-coolant exchanges, heavy duty transmission, double reinforced frame and body mounts, heavier shocks and struts, and lastly, an internal fire suppression system are present. All of this adds nearly 800 pounds to the P71 over the civilian model, and all of it is the direct result of necessity and preventative measures.

Is there a better vehicle out there for the job? Possibly, however there isn't a production vehicle tested yet that can withstand the modifications and torture that a Crown Vic can, and Ford has no competition to produce something better. And no department cares about creature comforts, the cars are about functionality.

I feel that, even though I hate Ford with a passion, if the Police Interceptor Crown Vic has been the car used by law enforcement for the past 25+ years with no real competition stepping in, they must be doing something right in the long run.

Edit to add that anything new has to be cheap, because Ford is tooled up for and can make Crown Vics all day for a pittance. Some new flashy car may be a great thing, but having one of them vs. multiple new CV's is a no-brainer to budget-bound police departments.

I really don't think any dept car is doing 500 miles a day but I could be wrong

Cigary
12-14-2008, 06:38 PM
I hope I never see one up close....or in my rearview mirror!

Roger that,,,,I slightly wet myself as it is when I see the lights and then hear the inevitable,,,License Registration and Proof of Insurance. I keep everything in an envelope and just hand it over and get the reply,,,can you take it out of the envelope? So, do ya want me to write up the ticket for you, too?

Haven't had to deal with any tickets for about 10 years now but here in Georgia the Cobb County PD thinks they own the highways, backroads, dirt roads, driveways and in the bushes of every place I have ever seen. They don't think maybe pulling them over to the side of the road but stop traffic in the middle of the f'n road and get out and start their routine with traffic backed up to Tennessee. I learned that the Gov. of Georgia put a bounty on people who drive cars in Ga. with Calif. license plates that he set up with the PD's because they can pull more revenue from out of state licenses plus most of them he thinks are illegal aliens. Now, not sure if he meant south of the border or out in space aliens as Gov. Purdue is a little on the sketchy side.

icehog3
12-14-2008, 07:06 PM

I drove Chevy Caprices for my first 12 or so years on the force, and they out-performed and out-lasted the Crown Vics hands-down in my experience. Unfortunately, Checy went to the Impala for the police package, and with its performance, might as well give us Hyundais. :2

jitzy
12-14-2008, 07:08 PM
I drove Chevy Caprices for my first 12 or so years on the force, and they out-performed and out-lasted the Crown Vics hands-down in my experience. Unfortunately, Checy went to the Impala for the police package, and with its performance, might as well give us Hyundais. :2

The bubble caprice? I loved how roomey they were and they held the road nice

BigFrank
12-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Dodge Chargers are nice.

icehog3
12-14-2008, 07:13 PM
The bubble caprice? I loved how roomey they were and they held the road nice

Started with the old squarer ones, but ended with the bubbles. ;)

Dodge Chargers are nice.

They are freaking fast, that's for sure.

BigFrank
12-14-2008, 07:14 PM
They are freaking fast, that's for sure.
yes they are ;)

SmokeyJoe
12-14-2008, 07:53 PM
What a cool ride... enjoyed the link. :ss

ucla695
12-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Sweet looking car. I also hope to never see one up close and personal. :D

replicant_argent
12-14-2008, 08:47 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/07._Mad_Max_Car_at_Silverton_Hotel%2C_Silverton%2C _NSW%2C_07.07.2007.jpg

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/making/madmax/CutScenes/MaxGooseDrag.jpg

Main Force Patrol, anyone?

Sauer Grapes
12-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Dodge Chargers are nice.

I'll tell you this about the crown vics. While they are disappointing once you are above 40 MPH or so as far as acceleration goes, the cruisers I've driven are pretty fast right off the line. Not sports car fast, but I was surprised how quick they were. Of course, they handle like an old buick station wagon, so that leaves something to be desired.

tobii3
12-14-2008, 08:54 PM
I gotta laugh here.

Reason for the big 3 being the police cars?? Parts. Longevity. Common Sense.

Now, here's a company that unveils a diesel car. Wow. I'm impressed. Diesel is currently at $2.59 a gallon here in NC.....Gas is currently at $1.45...great marketing idea guys!!

But Wait!!! The internal lights that are an integrated part of the frame, making the car more aerodynamic!!

Uh...dude?? Have you happened to notice the INTERNAL light bars currently in use that are CHEAPER than the external light bar?? (last time I worked with LE was 96, so it's been a while)

The rear suicide doors?? great idea - ONE hinge - can we say STRUCTURAL failure from drunks hanging on the door??

Here's a thought - how about we TRAIN more Law Enforcement?? How about we ARM them with appropriate weapons and body Armor??

and, on my final note, and only Diesel owners will truly appreciate this......

""Hurry!!! Let's go!!! They're getting away!! Uh, I gotta wait for my glow plug lamp to go out before I can crank the engine....""

:r

Silound
12-14-2008, 08:56 PM
I really don't think any dept car is doing 500 miles a day but I could be wrong

That was my :2. But one of the patrol regions just for the local troop include the 50 mile stretch from Lafayette (mid-troop area) to the Mississippi River (east boundary) which is approximately 60 miles of I-10. I figure driving that a couple times daily can add up pretty fast, so I believe it's possible.

I figure it's more likely they put around 150-300 miles per day on the cars, but that's still a LOT of miles per year.

RGD.
12-14-2008, 10:01 PM

My youngest brother is retired Indiana State Police. Our family has always been pro-Ford with the exception of him. But he much preferred the Crown Vic's over the Chevy's he had.

. . .

and, on my final note, and only Diesel owners will truly appreciate this......

""Hurry!!! Let's go!!! They're getting away!! Uh, I gotta wait for my glow plug lamp to go out before I can crank the engine....""

:r

LOL - Yeah I'm a diesel owner (F350 6.0 that will smoke the tires) - but waiting for glow plugs is not like it was on our granddaddy's diesels. Actually I only wait for them when it's below freezing - during warm weather it's not a problem, just crank and go.

Ron

icehog3
12-14-2008, 11:52 PM
My youngest brother is retired Indiana State Police. Our family has always been pro-Ford with the exception of him. But he much preferred the Crown Vic's over the Chevy's he had.

Ron

Too each his own, I guess....I drove the Caprices for about 11 years, and have had to endure the Crown Vics for about 11, and I liked the Chevys better by far, but that is me.

Now, here's a company that unveils a diesel car. Wow. I'm impressed. Diesel is currently at $2.59 a gallon here in NC.....Gas is currently at $1.45...great marketing idea guys!!

Keep in mind that when the car was being developed, that was not the case. I guess the designers aren't psychics.

DrDubzz
12-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Diesel may cost more, but what is the mileage difference?

my VW gets 35 around town, and that's because I don't putt along (in other words, my mom's vw diesel gets 40-ish in town)

Also, just rig the glow plugs like vw does and have them begin warming when the doors unlock instead of when you turn the ignition. and if you don't like the turbo lag, do what BMW does and put TWO turbos, a small one for low revs and a big fat ass one for higher revs

Diesel could be a good thing, but I'm not a cop, so I have no practical advice to offer