PDA

View Full Version : German cigars anyone?

Remo
08-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Read this article today, an auction for his private cigars:

"Nazi Hermann Goering arrested in May 1945. He was tried for war crimes and sentenced to hang. He took a cyanide pill and died while in jail.

A collection of cigars that were made for Hitler's deputy Hermann Goering are to go up for auction today.

The cigars, expected to fetch between $1261 and $1892, were removed from the cellars of the Nazi officer's home in Brandenburg at the end of the Second World War.

They are held in boxes bearing the words "Sondernfetigung Reichsmarshall Hermann Goering" which means "Specially made for Reichsmarshall Hermann Goering".

Goering's initials, his personal coat of arms and the supplier's name, Gildemann Ltd, Cigar Manufacturers, Berlin-Hamburg, are also printed on the box.

The cigars will go under the hammer at an auction at Golding Young and Mawer auctioneers in Lincoln on behalf of a private vendor who inherited the cigars from a relative.

Auctioneer John Leatt said: "These cigars were specially made for the fuhrer's deputy and, by the vendor's family repute, were removed from the cellars of his home in Brandenburg, near Berlin, after the end of the war. They have been consigned for sale by a local private vendor who inherited them from a relative.

"These unusual items are in untouched condition and are certain to attract collectors of cigars and Third Reich memorabilia."

After the Second World War, Goering was tried at the Nuremburg Trials and found guilty of war crimes.

He was sentenced to death by hanging, but committed suicide by ingesting a cyanide capsule while waiting to be executed."

The Poet
08-21-2013, 01:23 PM
What vitola? I'd guess NOT Churchill. :D

kelmac07
08-21-2013, 01:25 PM

:r :r :r

Lockspur
08-21-2013, 01:32 PM

TOO SOON!!!!!

http://www.haxoring.com/look.gif

RepoGenetic
08-21-2013, 01:38 PM
The cigars, expected to fetch between $1261 and $1892, were removed from the cellars of the Nazi officer's home in Brandenburg at the end of the Second World War.

For some reason, I'm enthralled with this extremely specific pricing. I admire an appraiser so precise there is no need to round up or down. :D

The Poet
08-21-2013, 01:42 PM
For some reason, I'm enthralled with this extremely specific pricing. I admire an appraiser so precise there is no need to round up or down. :D

Converted to euros, it might make more sense . . . if you accept the premise that 70-year-old Nazi cigars have any value at all anyway.

pektel
08-21-2013, 01:43 PM

You win the internet for today, sir. :lr

Sweet_Leaf_PDX
08-21-2013, 01:50 PM

Best response possible! :r

AdamJoshua
08-21-2013, 02:35 PM
F that piece of garbage and his cigars.

Remo
08-22-2013, 12:23 AM
F that piece of garbage and his cigars.

:tu

Bax
08-22-2013, 01:17 AM
That is a little creepy.

Robulous78
08-22-2013, 04:56 AM
I wonder what in heaven or on earth would make someone want to drop 2 grand on some 70 year old Nazi dog turds... how well could they have been taken care of? makes me think whoever makes such a purchase is buying simply for the Nazi "stamp"/historical significance and not for the cigars themselves.

If its going to charity I wish them all the best, but if someone is just trying to make a big buck off some Nazi crap... well, that's crappy IMHO.

dwoodward
08-22-2013, 05:33 AM
I wonder what in heaven or on earth would make someone want to drop 2 grand on some 70 year old Nazi dog turds... how well could they have been taken care of? makes me think whoever makes such a purchase is buying simply for the Nazi "stamp"/historical significance and not for the cigars themselves.

If its going to charity I wish them all the best, but if someone is just trying to make a big buck off some Nazi crap... well, that's crappy IMHO.

It's not the cigar your buying, your buying a piece of history from an important time during the history of mankind. If anyone buying these thinks they will get any kind of an experience smoking them, they are out of their minds. These have most likely spent the last 70 years in closets and attics, they are just relics from a time in the past.

cjhalbrooks
08-22-2013, 07:38 AM
It's not the cigar your buying, your buying a piece of history from an important time during the history of mankind.

I totally agree, the cigars could be bought for a museum or for a gift for a soldier who was in WWII. Or maybe a Jewish company is going to buy them and have a Nazi Cigar Burning (destroy) night. For someone who is really big in to history i think it would be cool to find something like this. Do i agree with what he did, no i do not. But it is still a piece of history. Would you look down on the concentration camp in Europe that is now a museum? History is History if you don't like it turn on the O Channel. :2

M1903A1
08-22-2013, 08:15 AM

These are Germans we're talking about after all....

icehog3
08-22-2013, 08:33 AM
These are Germans we're talking about after all....

Exactly. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

mosesbotbol
08-22-2013, 08:40 AM
There's a lot of historical significance to these cigars and the valuation sounds reasonable.

I once drank some 1930's Riesling that had the 3rd Reich eagle on the label; a bit discomforting, but a nice bottle of wine.

Garbandz
08-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Are sold for 1300 pounds.

http://www.goldingyoung.com/Lot/?sale=LN210813&lot=13&id=356504

looks like only 13 actual personal sticks.

pektel
08-22-2013, 09:49 AM
I thought a member here had cigars of similar significance. Coulda swore I saw a bomb thread where one was gifted to somebody. Can't for the life of me remember who though.

M1903A1
08-22-2013, 09:52 AM
exactly. Was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor?

Hell no! :D

AdamJoshua
08-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Exactly. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

In my head I hear this guy saying "What are you some kind of mo--ron?" at countless meetings, the Bluto scene reference reminded me of him, etc., big laughs all around.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/MsPurrl/Fictional%20Characters/Stork.gif

Goldie
08-24-2013, 06:36 AM
That's a pretty cool story.