PDA

View Full Version : Boxes of Cigar Storage Preference?

Outlaw God
08-15-2013, 09:56 AM
How do you like storing your cigars?

gogotron
08-15-2013, 10:03 AM
For boxes, I use an old wine refrigerator with extra spanish cedar and humidifiers on each shelf. It's ambient temperature but the humidity is very constant as I rarely open it. The see through door makes it an attractive display unit in the den.

Edit: Didn't see the poll at first, cellophane off the box for cigars I'll transfer to my desktop and keep cellophane on for boxes I won't be going into.

688sonarmen
08-15-2013, 10:05 AM
I keep mine in the toaster then wrap cellophane around it, then follow the rule of 3.

Outlaw God
08-15-2013, 10:11 AM
I keep mine in the toaster then wrap cellophane around it, then follow the rule of 3.
I guess I was expecting smart ass answers too :fp

688sonarmen
08-15-2013, 10:15 AM
I guess I was expecting smart ass answers too :fp

What makes you say that?

Outlaw God
08-15-2013, 10:25 AM
What makes you say that?

I guess I was thinking of a toaster meant cooking them to death and ruining them

dave
08-15-2013, 10:50 AM
I have no idea what's going on, but I like it just the same.

As to orig question, I generally keep them in the box - usually, when they get to around 1/2 to 3/4 empty, I'm looking to remove the box to save room -- either consolidate into another box, into trays, and some go into bags for various durations. I don't think I've got more than a couple boxes still in cello - I generally open and inspect within days or weeks of receipt.

xFreebirdx
08-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Cellophane off. How else are you going to inspect the contents for damage or mold. If you store them with the cellophane on and open them at a later date and find damage or mold you won't have a leg to stand on............

gogotron
08-15-2013, 11:13 AM
True but I think quality and consistency of the brand and provenance are also a factor. In any case, whether it's due to my favorite tabacconists or just plain luck I've never had mold, beetle, etc problems in 20+ years. Do retailers remove cellophane from every box they receive?

MUNKY
08-15-2013, 11:26 AM
The shelf life for me rotates to quick to notice lol! Although I do remove the cedar wraps. But how they come is how I keep em.

shilala
08-15-2013, 11:31 AM
I take the cellophane off the box, split it into equal size pieces, and add them to the cellophane that I leave on the cigars.
Unless there is no cellophane on the cigars, in which case I don't leave it on, because it wasn't on there in the first place.
If the box doesn't have cellophane, but rather that shrinky plastic wrapper crap, I usually call 911 and see what they think.

AdamJoshua
08-15-2013, 11:36 AM
How do you like storing your cigars?

I like storing them just fine, thanks for asking. :D

I usually call 911 and see what they think.

I was going to call them the other day but I couldn't remember the number.

E.J.
08-15-2013, 01:12 PM
I keep boxes in coolers and take the cello off. That said, for no apparent reason, I left the cello on a box of Tatuaje CQ1's that I picked up...I have no explanation for that....but they are wrapped tight in a cooler...:confused:

As a side note, lately this place sure seems to be very flippant with, be condescending to....whatever you want to call it to some individuals on this forum. I am not really clear on the reasoning behind it. I think it's unfortunate.

Outlaw God
08-15-2013, 01:15 PM
As a side note, lately this place sure seems to be very flippant with, be condescending to....whatever you want to call it to some individuals on this forum. I am not really clear on the reasoning behind it. I think it's unfortunate.

+10

Ashcan Bill
08-15-2013, 01:17 PM
I take the cellophane off the box, split it into equal size pieces, and add them to the cellophane that I leave on the cigars.
Unless there is no cellophane on the cigars, in which case I don't leave it on, because it wasn't on there in the first place.
If the box doesn't have cellophane, but rather that shrinky plastic wrapper crap, I usually call 911 and see what they think.

Man, I've been buying the wrong stuff. My boxes don't have no cellophane. No funky plastic wrap neither. Where can I get some?

Maybe I could just wrap them in butcher paper instead??? Would that be cool?

I'm just so confused now.

:sad

mosesbotbol
08-15-2013, 01:18 PM
I keep them as they came. Some boxes I'll take out of the outer box if I have another box of the same that's sealed. If it's a cigar I don't smoke often, then I'll keep the outer box.

yourchoice
08-15-2013, 01:19 PM
I generally keep them in the box - usually, when they get to around 1/2 to 3/4 empty, I'm looking to remove the box to save room -- either consolidate into another box, into trays, and some go into bags for various durations. I don't think I've got more than a couple boxes still in cello - I generally open and inspect within days or weeks of receipt.
My sentiments, exactly.

Blak Smyth
08-15-2013, 01:42 PM
I open and pull out 5 cigars from every box, label with the box code and place into a cooler that I do not look into or draw from.
The remaining cigars get removed from the box and placed into my wineador to be smoked as singles.
If the wineador has no room left they stay in the box and are placed in another overflow cooler until there is room in the wineador.

Lockspur
08-15-2013, 02:00 PM
I was going to call them the other day but I couldn't remember the number.

My phone doesn't have an eleven button, so I just ran around the house naked.

shilala
08-15-2013, 03:57 PM
No disrespect intended at all, EJ.
Lots of times you might see something that seems flippant or condescending, but is actually a joke that's been stumbling along for awhile. Without being around a lot, it'd be easy to misunderstand. I've gotten a burr in my ass a few times because of things I've read and it's come clear to me later that I just wasn't in the loop and got upset for naught. I'm not suggesting this is one of those instances, just hoping that info might help you in the futurecas it has me.

You all have my apologies, I certainly should have added a ;) as that was my intent. Thanks for commenting and giving me an opportunity to set that straight, my brother.
If I've done anyone harm, I hope you'll forgive me. ;s

Sweet_Leaf_PDX
08-15-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm usually so excited to get a new box of cigars I tear into the thing like a kid opening a present on Christmas morning :)

Robulous78
08-15-2013, 04:25 PM
I keep boxes in coolers and take the cello off. That said, for no apparent reason, I left the cello on a box of Tatuaje CQ1's that I picked up...I have no explanation for that....but they are wrapped tight in a cooler...:confused:

To the OP and EJ, I am the same way, some cigars I feel age better with the cello off, some I keep on for no reason at all... I like to think I take the cellos off of cigars that are sooner up on my rotation then others, but I cannot claim there is a reason to my rhyme.

+10

Outlaw, you don't know me, but I see a bit of myself in you already. When I first came to the forum I was all about polls, I wanted to survey what others thought as to begin to shape my own opinion and learn where to explore further.

As innocent as the intent starts out, I found out, as you are beginning to experience, the members here are more than happy to let you in on their thoughts, however polls seem to draw negative attention from people for some reason, perhaps threads with just your questions would be better accepted...

No disrespect intended at all, EJ.
Lots of times you might see something that seems flippant or condescending, but is actually a joke that's been stumbling along for awhile. Without being around a lot, it'd be easy to misunderstand. I've gotten a burr in my ass a few times because of things I've read and it's come clear to me later that I just wasn't in the loop and got upset for naught. I'm not suggesting this is one of those instances, just hoping that info might help you in the futurecas it has me.

You all have my apologies, I certainly should have added a ;) as that was my intent. Thanks for commenting and giving me an opportunity to set that straight, my brother.
If I've done anyone harm, I hope you'll forgive me. ;s

Scott here is a good guy, and what he says is true, with time you see a lot of stuff here on the forum, a lot of different personalities, and there are certainly a myriad of "inside" jokes between members and groups here on CA.

[ /Dr. Phil ]

Hope that makes everyone a little more at ease. CA is a special place I am proud to call home. :tu

AdamJoshua
08-15-2013, 04:37 PM
I also would like to add apologies if any feelings were hurt, there is a ton of great information here but some real characters too, I don't think anything is every said in anger and there is a lot of good natured ribbing.

Before I went to my first herf I probably would have though there are a bunch of asses here, but after herfing and just hanging out, you can see how that carries over from there to here on the net, just good people having a good time not meaning to upset anyone, the S.H.I.T. herf crew can be brutal, trust me on that one, but I know that it's all in good fun, just like here, it's all in good fun.

Blueface
08-15-2013, 04:41 PM
I feel a hug moment coming.:r

;s

bishes

Robulous78
08-15-2013, 04:41 PM
LoL Gramps.... :lr

gogotron
08-15-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm new but thought the comment was aimed towards me for mentioning a wine "refrigerator" opposed to wineador? Apologies.

markem
08-15-2013, 04:57 PM
(FOG - friggin old guy - mode on)

Way back in the dawn of time, 8+ years ago on another forum, there was essentially only one thread that was all about banter, whatever it may be. Anything you might say or ask in person was fair to dive in to. This was the original Banter with Icehog3 thread at an old site. It was a place were anyone could wander in, ask questions, share a story, etc etc.

It was a fairly safe place for people to ask questions as was, and still is, the new member forum.

The problem for many FOGs (pretty much everywhere) is the tendency to see "here comes another one with the same old questions" in many posts from people new to cigars as a hobby. Polls get lots of attention because, well, they are polls and the choice of poll options tells you a lot about the person creating the poll. It also severely limits the responses if people harken to just the poll options, hence some disdain for polls from people who really are new and can't possibly know what the options really should be.

Be that as it may, when people sign up, they are informed about the search function and encouraged to explore the site for answers before they post a new thread. It takes some work since no two people will phrase the same question the same way, but if you put in the time, search will help a lot.

The other trait that new people seem prone to is the "how many threads can I create in the least amount of time" syndrome (we've all been there). This tends to indicate to a lot of people that the person is doing an awful lot of writing and not very much thinking. It may not be the case, but that is the general vibe many here will agree it sends out.

Like attending your first cocktail party with a totally new group of people, listening (or reading) will do more good than trying to drive the conversation. Over a relatively short period of time, you should be able to pick one or two people whom you think can point you in the right direction for starting your journey of discovery that is cigars (most often reply: study the stickies, they are in each forum at the top).

The old guys tend to come across as not very sympathetic, but the truth is that they want to see some real effort on the part of the new person before they will begin to take him/her seriously.

(FOG off)

Robulous78
08-15-2013, 05:24 PM
(FOG - friggin old guy - mode on)

Like attending your first cocktail party with a totally new group of people, listening (or reading) will do more good than trying to drive the conversation. Over a relatively short period of time, you should be able to pick one or two people whom you think can point you in the right direction for starting your journey of discovery that is cigars (most often reply: study the stickies, they are in each forum at the top).

(FOG off)

well said Mark, As one that used to be on the opposite end of the spectrum, I'll say everything he said is true... I had not got the pre-CA history info tho, and that only adds to my understanding now.

and if you are looking for a few people to bounce questions off off, consider joining the Zombies, they took me under their wing and learnt me a lot... :lr

T.G
08-15-2013, 06:22 PM
and if you are looking for a few people to bounce questions off off, consider joining the Zombies, they took me under their wing and learnt me a lot... :lr

Why should they have to join?

jjirons69
08-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Fortunate that my last couple dozen boxes come sealed in vacuum-sealed bags, which I do open immediately to inspect the contents. I would never store a box sealed in anything before I got a peak inside.

MUNKY
08-15-2013, 07:01 PM
My phone doesn't have an eleven button, so I just ran around the house naked.

This made my day! Back to the point you nut jobs!

shilala
08-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Fortunate that my last couple dozen boxes come sealed in vacuum-sealed bags, which I do open immediately to inspect the contents. I would never store a box sealed in anything before I got a peak inside.
That's a great point, Jamie. I know better than to store boxes without inspecting them, but sometimes I still do.
Fortunately it hasn't bit me in the ass. Yet. :)

Robulous78
08-15-2013, 08:19 PM
Why should they have to join?

Well he doesn't really, just thought I'd try to infect my first noob... :lr

MMM, BRAINS!!!!

T.G
08-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Well he doesn't really, just thought I'd try to infect my first noob... :lr

MMM, BRAINS!!!!

How many people do you have to infect to get a free hot dog toaster?

Robulous78
08-15-2013, 10:25 PM
How many people do you have to infect to get a free hot dog toaster?

:lr

Blueface
08-16-2013, 06:26 AM
Mark,
Awesome post.
After some thought, I would like to add something I think is important for both Newbs and long termers on this board, and anywhere.

In my 25 years or so of being involved with cigars, being Cuban, having a Cuban dad who has smoked cigars for over 60 years, having had a mother in law who was a roller in Cuba, heck if I feel I know anymore than a bit of what life has to teach about cigars. We all have experiences that differ due in part to culture and income. No one person's opinion based on those experiences is superior as compared to the others'. No one person knows it all.

All that said is a preface to the point I wish to add to your post. While not an attorney, I bet Law school 101 teaches never ask an open ended question. If you come here seeking an answer or an opinion, don't begrudge the responses you receive if not in line with what you expected to hear. Don't exacerbate things by being argumentative because you didn't like the response and then by resorting to insults. If you do that, don't expect things to go smooth for a while until you redeem yourself.

We are a forgiving bunch as we have all put our foot in our mouths at one time or another by writing something that irked someone, God knows I stand guilty. We just don't like to be insulted if you seek our advice or opinion.

CigarNut
08-16-2013, 07:45 AM
Mark and Carlos -- very well said.

Thanks for taking the time to articulate this.

jdakine
08-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Mark and Carlos -- very well said.

Thanks for taking the time to articulate this.

:tpd:

Sadden
08-16-2013, 12:49 PM
I take the plastic off the box and open it up for inspection.

I leave the cello on the sticks though. Or is that a whole nother thread?
:tf