PDA

View Full Version : Asylum 13 Maduro

badbriar
08-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Tried an Asylum 13 Maduro in robusto size tonite with Knob Creek neat over one of the dreaded whiskey stones. Went for a walk in the warm, humid Florida night air by the intercostal here in Sarasota. Perfect relaxing setting for a good cigar. This is one stick that is not overpowered by such a stout bourbon and even is enhanced with the welcome light burn that the tasty amber liquid brings.
OK... The stick... Very good, solid construction with a mottled dark brown wrapper. Pre-light aroma was a strong and earthy in-your- face attitude. Not a hint of sweetness anywhere; just deep, dark tobacco aroma. These are supposed to be potent sticks and the aroma seemed to deliver just that. Cutting and toasting were spot on, as were the perfect draw and burn throughout the smoke. First draw was Full of very dark flavors. So much going on right out of the gate that I had a hard time identifying all of the tastes. Initial half inch or so was a bit harsh, but things quickly settled in and from then on, the cigar was actually very smooth. No irritation at all despite the occasional pepper that came and went. This was a very complex cigar with flavors coming and then fading. Lots of dark flavors of leather, light earthiness, unsweetened chocolate and expresso. Mild sweetness was always just below the surface, but never took over. This cigar was somewhat like a Casa Magna, but much darker. I did not find it to be overwhelming at any point. The burn was razor sharp and never even hinted at needing help. Lots of white smoke and an impossibly strong ash that hung on for over half the stick. Best of all was that the further into the cigar I got, the smoother and creamier it got. Flavor was good right to the last.
Now, this is not quite on par with an Undercrown (IMHO), but I will certainly buy more. This cigar is much better than a yard stick, but is priced like one.
I'd give this cigar 8.5 out of 10. Personally, I think it is much better than the likes of the Flor De las Antillas. Recommended! :dr
RR

5newmans
08-14-2013, 04:53 AM
Great review, I can't wait to try one now. Knob Creek is also a favorite of mine. Thanks.

czerbe
08-14-2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the Review... I have had a bunch of the 13s enjoyed them all

Dunkel
08-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Last year a friend visited and brought me one of these to try. I remember liking it quite a bit

Sweet_Leaf_PDX
08-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Great review! Now I need to go try one of these, sounds really good.

STEVE S
08-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Great review, thanks for sharing with us.

kelmac07
08-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Another maduro to add to the "need to try list". Nice review Rob. :D

big_jaygee
08-16-2013, 03:09 PM
i enjoyed the robusto they now have some ring gauges that scare me...60's, 70's and i think they now have an 80 out.