PDA

View Full Version : Need to vent a little...

pektel
08-06-2013, 12:22 PM
About a societal trend that has started to bug me. I know most of us BOTL's are willing to lend a hand to those in need, as it seems like we have a different moral code. I was reminded yesterday of just how opposite the rest of the world can be at times.

I ran to Walmart after a very hectic work day. Had to get diapers, dog food, yadda yadda. Super Walmart is a big place, and always busy. Took me about 45 minutes to gather my items, and get out.

On the way to my car, I notice an older woman a few rows over with the hood open and a HAMMER in her hand. I zig zagged through the cars, cart and all, to see if I could help out. She let me know that she couldn't get the car started (obviously). She called her husband, and he told her the starter was going out, and to tap on it with a hammer. Of course I was wondering what she was doing on the TOP END of the engine compartment. I looked in to see that she had been beating on the AC compressor, shich she thought was the starter. :eek:

I told her the location of the starter, and I crawled under with the hammer to tap on it while she tried turning the key. No dice. I thought maybe the starter was just done, and needed to be towed. But I asked if I could try to start it. She agreed, and I sat down in the driver's seat to take a look. I noticed that she had left the gear selector in drive. I put it in park, and it started right up.

When I told her, she started to cry. I just told her it happens, no biggie. She even tried to pay me, which of course I would never accept. She thanked me probably a million times, and I told her I was just glad to help out. And to avoid turning on the AC until she gets it checked out. She told me she had been out there for over 30 minutes, and not a SINGLE person stopped. 2 people even parked in the space next to her, and just ignored her completely.

As I'm walking back to my car, I started thinking. And I was saddened that more people out there would rather avoid/ignore than help. My children definitely aren't going to be raised that way.

I'm not telling this story for a "good for you" or an e-pat on the back. I find it should be a responsibility of those that can help, TO help. It SHOULD be that way. Especially with something as simple as helping someone with a car problem.

Okay, end rant.

CigarSquid
08-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Great job Peter. I do not always have the time to stop, but I try to make the time when I see things like that.

I have helped out on my road trips, vacation and just everyday life. I do it, it hope, if I am every in that situation, I will get someone like you/me to help out.

Again, great job on being a wonderful and helpful citizen.

equetefue
Unfortunately this is the way things are now. Very unfortunate indeed. Society has lost both its innocent and way.

This is the reason I try so hard to mentor my children. Hopefully one day they will make a difference on someone's life the same way you did yesterday.

CigarNut
Very cool thing for you to do Peter!

Unfortunately, many people today have learned from parents, friends and family that people in need of help are someone else's responsibility...

Remo
08-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Nice job Peter :tu

I think one of the reasons that many people choose not to help anyone anymore is because of our sue happy legal system, seems to me that woman could have sued you for breaking her starter by hitting on (just an example of our society these days).

And instead of our courts throwing out these suits right off the bat they allow them to go forward even though it is complete B.S. People may be exonerated down the road or the suit finally getting tossed but it is a pain and I am sure there is alot of angst involved!

czerbe
08-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Well done Pete and you are correct if you can help... you should

big_jaygee
08-06-2013, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=pektel;1870306]I'm not telling this story for a "good for you" or an e-pat on the back. I find it should be a responsibility of those that can help, TO help. It SHOULD be that way. Especially with something as simple as helping someone with a car problem./QUOTE]

i couldn't agree more and the line in bold sums everything up perfectly.

Thank you Peter for helping her.

TJarv
08-06-2013, 01:11 PM
You're one of the few left in this world Peter.

Working in the line of work I'm in I couldn't begin to tell you how many people I've seen people stuck on the roadside or hell even in the middle of the road, and people just drive around them or lay on their horn.

I like hearing that there are still some people left in this world that aren't too busy to lend a hand.

aaron72
08-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Good work.

You should thank your lucky stars that the ignition switch/gear selector safety system was working and it didn't start up while you were under there tapping the starter.

T.G
08-06-2013, 01:22 PM
This would never happen in the parking lot of a Target store.

AdamJoshua
08-06-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm the same way Pete, it never hurts to stop and help, another couple of minutes is not going to change my life drastically.

People Suck, true story.

kelmac07
08-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Kudos Peter!! True enough the society we live in has completely changed. Now, in some parts of America, if you stop to help somewhere, you run the risk of getting "schemed" and robbed. It's a sad state of affairs.

We need to continue to raise our children the right way...you nailed it with IF YOU CAN HELP, YOU HELP!!! One day that may be us in that parking lot.

pektel
08-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Nice job Peter :tu

I think one of the reasons that many people choose not to help anyone anymore is because of our sue happy legal system, seems to me that woman could have sued you for breaking her starter by hitting on (just an example of our society these days).

And instead of our courts throwing out these suits right off the bat they allow them to go forward even though it is complete B.S. People may be exonerated down the road or the suit finally getting tossed but it is a pain and I am sure there is alot of angst involved!

To me it would be a greater crime to not stop and help. The possibility of someone being so evil as to try something like that (which of course IS a real possiblity) is pretty small I would wager. But honestly, that's something I have no control over. That small possibility damn sure isn't going to make me NOT help someone.

Good work.

You should thank your lucky stars that the ignition switch/gear selector safety system was working and it didn't start up while you were under there tapping the starter.

You ain't lyin'. That was one of my thoughts when I got in and saw it wasn't in park.

This would never happen in the parking lot of a Target store.

:r Those patrons probably all have AAA.

Sweet_Leaf_PDX
08-06-2013, 01:37 PM
Way to go! I wish more people in our society had your attitude Pete. Unfortunately, many people are so wrapped up in themselves that they don't notice much around them.

Your case is the perfect example of someone just needing another person to care enough to stop and look at her situation. Even someone who knows very little about cars could have helped her out here.

shilala
08-06-2013, 01:47 PM
I am my brother's keeper.
I'm fortunate to have this brotherhood of like-minded people, and they're the top of the heap. But I have an entire brotherhood out there, and I'm still responsible for loving them, too.
Those people out there give me a lot of reason not to help, if I lump them all in one, big, unfair category. Fact is, I don't know which ones are like us. If I don't take what we do here and apply it out there, I haven't really done much.
It's real easy to love people who love me back. It's a real challenge to love people who just need loved with no thought of being loved in return, even though that's what usually happens.
It makes me smile to know that our brothers regularly do this kind of thing. It makes the world suck a lot less. :tu

dave
08-06-2013, 01:56 PM
I would have stopped, too. But, then I probably would have beat the crap out of the AC compressor. Good thing you were there.

maninblack
08-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Well done Peter. Glad to hear stories like this. Acts like this are rare and go unnoticed too many times.

pektel
08-06-2013, 03:18 PM
I am my brother's keeper.
I'm fortunate to have this brotherhood of like-minded people, and they're the top of the heap. But I have an entire brotherhood out there, and I'm still responsible for loving them, too.
Those people out there give me a lot of reason not to help, if I lump them all in one, big, unfair category. Fact is, I don't know which ones are like us. If I don't take what we do here and apply it out there, I haven't really done much.
It's real easy to love people who love me back. It's a real challenge to love people who just need loved with no thought of being loved in return, even though that's what usually happens.
It makes me smile to know that our brothers regularly do this kind of thing. It makes the world suck a lot less. :tu

Yes. This. In spades.

jjirons69
08-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Our service this past Sunday was on "Who is my brother?" It was this in a nutshell. As Scott said, I am my brother's keeper. To get by in this world, you've had folks look out for you most of your life, paying it forward is what keeps us all civilized and harmonious. Now I would never tell anyone to pick up that random hitchhiker, the chance something could go wrong is too great, especially as I have a wife and two kids that depend on me daily. But there are a lot of things out there all of us can do.

Yesterday I noticed a teenager pull in front of me as I was going to the gym. He did nothing wrong, but I did notice his rear passenger tire was very slack. When I parked I waited on him, but he sat in the vehicle. I was late for my racquetball game, but I eventually walked over to him, startling him in the process, and told him what I saw. He was very grateful. I asked him did he need a hand and he said, no. An hour later as I was leaving, a tire service company was down there fixing his issue. Like Peter said, no hand-pat, it was just the correct thing to do. Had it been my kid, I would not have wanted him to leave and go flying down the road with a tire that was in sub-standard shape.

Thanks for reminding the world to do the right thing, Peter!

Coach Deg
08-06-2013, 04:03 PM
I would have stopped, too. But, then I probably would have beat the crap out of the AC compressor. Good thing you were there.

HAHAHA Me Too.

I help when I can, even just if to make a call. And I hope someone will do the same if my wife or parents are in need.

blugill
08-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Sadly in today's world there are just way too many people without any awareness outside of their own skulls.
It's a sad commentary on the obligation we should have for one another.

shark
08-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Good job! :tu

markem
08-06-2013, 05:06 PM
The story is fake, but the lesson is meaningful. Not picking on anyone/any group and definitely not pushing a religious view. It's just a nice story.

Pastor Jeremiah Steepek transformed himself into a homeless person and went to the 10,000 member church that he was to be introduced as the head pastor at that morning. He walked around his soon to be church for 30 minutes while it was filling with people for service, only 3 people out of the 7-10,000 people said hello to him. He asked people for change to buy food - NO ONE in the church gave him change. He went into the sanctuary to sit down in the front of the church and was asked by the ushers if he would please sit n the back. He greeted people to be greeted back with stares and dirty looks, with people looking down on him and judging him.

As he sat in the back of the church, he listened to the church announcements and such. When all that was done, the elders went up and were excited to introduce the new pastor of the church to the congregation. "We would like to introduce to you Pastor Jeremiah Steepek." The congregation looked around clapping with joy and anticipation. The homeless man sitting in the back stood up and started walking down the aisle. The clapping stopped with ALL eyes on him. He walked up the altar and took the microphone from the elders (who were in on this) and paused for a moment then he recited,

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

'The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

After he recited this, he looked towards the congregation and told them all what he had experienced that morning. Many began to cry and many heads were bowed in shame. He then said, "Today I see a gathering of people, not a church of Jesus Christ. The world has enough people, but not enough disciples. When will YOU decide to become disciples?"

He then dismissed service until next week.

Being a Christian is more than something you claim. It's something you live by and share with others.

hotreds
08-06-2013, 05:43 PM
OP- you are a gentleman and a scholar, sir!

hammondc
08-07-2013, 07:47 AM
I agree. Actually, I carry a lot of repair stuff in my company car as I do 1000k+ miles a week. Even a couple sets of cheap jumper cables from Big Lots. If someone needs a jump, I will use those and let them keep them. Also have oil, antifreeze, water, tool kit, door jimmy and various other car repair related items (and a pistol, just in case I get set up -(P ).

I am shocked sometimes by the younger folks (I am only 35) that cannot do simple things like jumping a car or changing a tire. Girls can get away with it. If a male is driving......he should know how to do both tasks.

cmitch
08-07-2013, 10:01 AM
It was in a public place and it was a nice old lady. But what if she was in the middle of nowhere? What if she was robbery bait? I try to stop and help, because that's who I am, but let me tell you what happened here about 10 years ago. A guy was driving home from work at night and noticed a young lady with a car broken down. Of course, being who he was, he stopped. As he examined the car, the girl's boyfriend came out of hiding, whacked him with a hammer and put his body in the trunk. They drove him to their place where they placed his feet in a 5 gallon bucket, filled it with quikrete and when it set, they threw his body off the Natchez Trace bridge. Problem was, they didn't throw him in the barge channel but in about 4 ft. of water where there was a sand bar. After his body was found, suspects were interviewed and ultimately the killer was arrested and charged with Capitol Murder. Apparently the killer was upset because the victim, who was the stepfather of his daughter, had spanked his daughter the previous week. Geez!

pektel
08-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Looks like someone else was listening too. Loved reading this today. Much respect to those officers. :tu

http://www.cafemom.com/articles/in_the_news/159320/single_mom_caught_shoplifting_gets?utm_medium=sem2&utm_campaign=prism&utm_source=outbrain&utm_content=0

shark
08-07-2013, 03:55 PM
I was on the receiving end of a helping hand once, down in Alabama. I was driving along Dauphin Island near the beach, and decided to go down a dirt road, and got stuck. While trying to get out, I ended up burying the rear end all the way to the differential. It was a late 1970's Ford LTD, so RWD was a no go, LOL!
It was 10:30 PM, so I walked to a cottage where I heard people talking. Luckily they had a big pickup and a length of chain. Got me outta there in no time.