PDA

View Full Version : $180 for eye drops...

dwoodward
07-09-2013, 06:01 PM
My eye doctor is insane. Gave me a sample bottle of Lastacaft eyedrops. Told me they were a prescription but were pretty reasonably priced. So I gave em a shot, the last week and half my eyes have never felt better. So I gave him a call today to get a prescription sent in for a bottle. Got to Walgreens tonight and the lady asked me if I wanted to put it on medical insurance, and I was like what? And she told me it's $179 without any insurance... My jaw almost hit the counter.... $179 for a 3mL bottle of the stuff, that's about 0.1 oz of liquid. So I gave her my insurance card and she says "That brings it down to $126, that looks much better." Is that lady high? Seriously? How is 126 bucks for a tiny ass vial of eye drops better? Are these people made of money or something? I can't believe that....

So, any of you have problems with eye allergies and know a better cheaper alternative? Since apparently my eye doctor is clearly out of his mind.

688sonarmen
07-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Wow! No not for eye drops. I use Flonase and it works very well.

kelmac07
07-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Wife uses Flonase as well and works like a champ.

dwoodward
07-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Just googled that Flonase, says it's a Nasal spray, is that the same stuff? I don't have any nasal issues, just eye allergies. Just curious if what I'm looking at is the right stuff.

kelmac07
07-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Derrick...yes, it's nasal stuff. Clears my wife right up from allergies. If it's only your eyes...might not be the thing.

Zane
07-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Just googled that Flonase, says it's a Nasal spray, is that the same stuff? I don't have any nasal issues, just eye allergies. Just curious if what I'm looking at is the right stuff.

Have you tried a general allergie medicine like Zyrtec?

massphatness
07-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Do not spray Flonase in your eyes. Ever.

markem
07-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Did you think to ask your doctor about over the counter remedies that you could try?

Optive is an OTC that is primarily for dry eye, but it works well for many with eye allergies wherein a protective barrier makes a difference. No idea if it will work for you. If I knew what an eye allergy was - allergic to eyes? - then maybe I could help more.

BHalbrooks
07-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Did you think to ask your doctor about over the counter remedies that you could try?

Optive is an OTC that is primarily for dry eye, but it works well for many with eye allergies wherein a protective barrier makes a difference. No idea if it will work for you. If I knew what an eye allergy was - allergic to eyes? - then maybe I could help more.
That was my first thought. No shame in saying you don't want to spend the cash on the prescription he set up.

dwoodward
07-10-2013, 03:17 AM

That was the first thing I asked him, I've dealt with prescription stuff before and it's no fun trying to fill one when you run out suddenly and no where has any.

He said that there was medicine, but they all had very mixed results and none of them worked very well. He said the drops were cheaper and way better.

So clearly he is hugely mistaken about the price of the eye drops, because if a box of pills cost 180 bucks, I won't be paying for those either.

Also my exact condition in my eyes is called Allergic conjunctivitis, and it's not as rare as you would think it might be, it's actually rather common. When I go outside in the summer/fall I start to form small bumps under my eyelids. I've always had it but just dealt with it, well the unusual weather we have been having this year has clearly sparked something different with my allergies this year and I've been getting it so badly I can hardly see by the end of a day of work.

Wish I could find something that might make it better, life sucks when you're blind as a bat and in pain.

mosesbotbol
07-10-2013, 05:08 AM
Have you tried an online source? Can you get from Canada or Mexico? Is this a temporary solution or do you plan to take this perscription for a long time?

equetefue
07-10-2013, 06:45 AM
I manage Pharmacists for a living, I will reach out to the staff and find some alternatives for you.

longknocker
07-10-2013, 06:58 AM
I Have Dry Eyes Because Of Insufficient Tear Production. I Use Allergan Gel Eye Drops For $5/ Bottle 2X/Day From WalMart. Good Luck!:tu

replicant_argent
07-10-2013, 08:49 AM
I was thinking a glycerin solution laced with a little lidocaine and tincture of opium may work well, and be relatively cheap.
Of course, results may vary, IANAP and all that.

;)

Wait, to we have the double winky for this specific situation?

What are your eyes worth? How cheap do you want to be to reduce your comfort and possible efficacy?

shilala
07-10-2013, 08:55 AM
I use artificial tears to keep my eyes rinsed out. As soon as I get that gritty, sticky feeling, I rinse out the crap that causes the reaction, and voila, no misery. :tu
I have bottles of the stuff everywhere so there's always one within reach, waiting to do it's thing. When it gets bad out I just keep one in my pocket.

ironchefscott
07-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Wife uses Flonase as well and works like a champ.

I have to pay 120 a month for my 2 bottles of flonase for my sinus polyups. Yikes!

OLS
07-10-2013, 09:30 AM
make no mistake, the medical racket in this country hides behind this BS veil of "the best in the world" but they
are nothing but thieves and carpet baggers. Those who swore the Hippocratic Oath have a pass in my mind,
but a great many of those had their fingers crossed behind their backs near as I can tell. But the drug cos
and insurance cos use that "best in the world" BS as an excuse to rob people blind...they would claim to be
part of the "best" umbrella, and they are the best at something, alright, just not something you or I would
approve of.